i know this is ridiculous but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbull928

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
it would be easier to know ur mcat or gpa. Your numbers do not suck, they are just not competitive for Stanford, but doesn't meant there's no chance, I have a friend who was admitted with a 4.0 and 30 mcat

he had amazing research, 1st author in j biochem as an undergrad and did a fulbright afterwards and had good ecs.

You have a great app IMO, although I'm guessing you're older? so I'm not sure how you may compare to traditional premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read Stanford's curriculum and I must say, I'm in love. :love: As a proponent of integrating engineering and medicine, I think it is superb. Anyway, I know it is one of the best medical schools, and unfortunately, my stats suck. My LizzyM score is ~70. My EC's, as previously mentioned, consist of my days as an engineer at very respected and well known companies, patent pending (signed some papers today, woohoo), pub, presentations, PI of a project, self proposed and implemented projects, patent infringement litigation team, various scholarships + fellowships, volunteer+shadowing, extensive research experience. I even know which professor at Stanford I wanna work with. I have a dream school I want to attend but Stanford's curriculum is amazing. Should I apply? Any advice to increase my chances??

If you're really serious about this, I have a suggestion for you, but it's not going to help you this year. (And if you're dead set on Stanford and have already applied there, I would seriously think about withdrawing the app. No offense, but you probably don't have much of a chance this year, and you're better off applying next year for the first time with a stronger app than getting rejected and having to re-apply.)

So here goes: relocate to Palo Alto (if you don't live there already) and start hanging around Stanford. Get a volunteer job in whatever hospital is affiliated with the med school, and see if you can get an introduction to one of the professors (your dream guy would be ideal, but it doesn't have to be him--pretty much anyone will do). Get a job working in the lab of one of these profs for about a year, then ask him for an LOR. THEN you might stand a decent chance of getting admitted.

One last suggestion (but also won't help you this year): there is a professional med school admissions consultant named Judy Colwell (she has a website under her name) who worked as an assistant dean in the Stanford admissions office for nine years. If anyone knows what it takes to get into Stanford, she probably does, so you might want to pony up the $550 (her minimum fee, gets you 2 hours' consultation) to find out what she thinks your chances are/what you should do. But be warned: having worked in a place like that for so long, she must be used to perfection, and she can be pretty dismissive of people who fall short of it. And don't make the mistake of thinking what she tells you is necessarily applicable to other schools. (She may think it is, but I don't agree. Not every med school is like Stanford, Johns Hopkins, and Harvard, and they're not necessarily looking for the same things in an applicant.)

I hope you get what you're after. But remember, if you really want to be a doctor, getting into A med school should take precedence over getting into a PARTICULAR med school. The system is just too brutal and arbitrary for you to get hung up on that.

Good luck.

btw, my friend is one of the most unique person...in the world....and it showed in his interview, he had 9 interviews (all top schools in MSTP) and got into all of them except 1 (harvard, go figure :p).

Basically, you have a chance, gpa (will hurt I'm not sure you may get an interview), my friend didn't study for the mcat (only a short time) and chose to focus on research instead, so it was a trade off and it paid off. If you take a look on mdapplicants at the kids who got interviews at stanford, very very very few has less than 3.6 and very few will. But there will be people who had your gpa or slightly lower and got in, who knows so don't give up, IMO apply, you will never know, this admission stuff is a lot of luck anyways. IMO you're an excellent applicant, the gpa will hurt, but you can't do anything about it now,(you can always do postbach to increase it, but that will take a long time)

I say shoot for stanford, its what you want, don't settle for anything less.