Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I Need advice from pros

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by DallasTx, Mar 28, 2007.

1. DallasTx

Medical Student
    Hello everyone;
    i would really appreacaite if someone can give me a honest opinion for me to apply for Pm&R next year. here is my story, passed step1 on fourth attempt with low score; this is due to some personal family stress. not taken step2 cs or ck; planning to take by august and do very very good on it. i have gone through a very very long journey; just wanted to find out what my options are. should i apply across the nation when it comes to matching?? sometimes i don't even know what am i doing with that score; sometimes i think i m not even going to match. or simply choose a different field?? this is a very scary scenario. loans are huge. really appreacaite from someone with honest opinion. i will be finishing up in three weeks now. im thinking about applying to PM&R and then have FM as a back up. please be open.
    thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. axm397

axm397 SDN Moderator
    Moderator Physician SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    First of all, start by taking a deep breath. you sound really stressed out and that's not going to help the situation.

Secondly, it's hard to tell you anything with that little piece of information. yes, the step 1 failure is a factor against you. if you kick butt on step 2 that can help. Need more info to specifically help since I don't know what medical school you are attending, how your grades are, if you have any research projects, if you are planning on doing any away electives in PM&R, etc

USMLE scores are only part of the big picture. If you do a lot better on step 2, then your family stress reason will be more believable. If your grades and letters are stellar, that will also help. I wouldn't give up PM&R but definitely need to cast your net wide. Apply to all the programs you would consider going to - even if it's not the best geographic location. If your family situation has not resolved, you need to concentrate on that.

pm me if you want to privately discuss your situation. :luck:

4. DallasTx

Medical Student
    Heres my background, im from one of the schools in carribean, one of the top one. not that it makes a huge deal, but atleast some difference; SGU,ROSS, AUC. i went to mexico UAG, then transferred to carrbean school. i had to work very very hard in order to learn everything in basic science . went to mexico, and transferred with knowing almost nothing. anyway, i wonder if its worth using connections, such as chief of some program in my situation? . As it is im getting older, so i would like to get over this huge burden. I will be doing elective in Pm&R next month for three weeks and hope to obtain atleast two LOR. i wonder if doing any research would be of any help?? im definetly going to try my best on step2 ck; my cs is in a month and hopefully ck after that. yeah the family stress is atleast out for now;

5. Jumpu

Jumpu Tiger Mom/Physiatrist

Attending Physician
    I think an elective rotation somewhere you would like to go can either make or break your application. It could mean the difference between a strong LOR to advocate for you or a mediocre one which can work against you (try to avoid at all costs). You really have to demonstrate a strong desire to learn, volunteer to present topics, read about your patients. And remember no one expects you to be a master of the subject (that's what residency is for). One of the places I interviewed at this year and ranked very highly told me they consider applications of people who have failed multiple times (and subsequently passed), as long as they showed potential to do well from an audition rotation. PM me for more info.

6. buddy 2004

buddy 2004 New Member

Attending Physician
    I have to agree that you have to rely on contacts more than scores at this point. You should of course try to get the highest scores you can on your step 2, but the best thing you can do for yourself is show your face at some programs.

If you are stuck in one place geographically, you should study the local PMR residency positions and target ones that are mid to lower tier. This is just to be practical, so you can devote your time wisely.

If you can move around, apply the same technique on a national level. Do a search on this forum to see which places have had openings after the match, unexpected vacancies, and even places that people have made "negative" comments about on the interview trail. These are distressed programs in some way, and you are a distressed candidate. (I don't mean to hurt your feelings).

You should plan to secure a prelim spot as well, which will buy you more time even if you don't match on the first try. Openings pop up unexpectedly, and some are not even advertised (larger programs will just work around a missing resident, but if a replacement comes knocking, they might take a look).

You can also look into Family Med or even some IM programs to get your foot in the door, and if time is not an option transfer later (switching residencies is looked favorably sometimes, especially when it is motivated by interest in PMR and not just hating the current job).

If you want to just practice in a rehab hospital after finishing IM, you could easily do that as well. Or tack on a sportsmed fellowship to either of those and do outpatient. Practically, the knowledge base is the same either way unless you want to practice at an academic or elite level.

I hope this helps.

7. DallasTx

Medical Student
    i thank each one of you personally; im going to study rock hard solid and give my best shot; and try to get a very good score. Im definetly going to apply to PM&R and FM as a back up; if its in my destiny, so be it. thanks everyone again for your concern and opinion.

take care