I need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biological23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some advice on how to balance life/work and school.
Currently I work full time as a dental assistant to support my wife(she also goes to college) and 8 month old daughter. I also attend a state university.
My dilemma is that I feel stretched thin, family time is important to me as it is also important to my daughters development. I feel that I definitely struggle to take a full class load at university whilst I devote so much time to work and the rest to my family. With the little time I have to spare, it has to be devoted to homework and studying but I feel unprepared and behind with school work.. I know dental schools like to see full class loads when applying but is there anyway I can lighten my course load and still be considered? I'm positive I'm not the only one in this situation, as I'm sure some people even have higher time restraints.. But is there any advice on what I can do to balance my schedule? I feel my GPA will reflect lack of study time.. Is that worse than having a light course load transcript?
Anything is helpful, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried to cover all of your needs with student loans, or cutting more hours from work and taking up some more loans?

Have you tried to cover all of your needs with student loans, or cutting more hours from work and taking up some more loans?
I haven't tried that, I feel that living almost solely on borrowed money in undergrad is risky.. Assuming I get into D-school, that's another few years of undergrad debt, but maybe.. My brother in law is living on student loans in pharmacy school right now, I should probably ask him how his experience has been.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't tried that, I feel that living almost solely on borrowed money in undergrad is risky.. Assuming I get into D-school, that's another few years of undergrad debt, but maybe.. My brother in law is living on student loans in pharmacy school right now, I should probably ask him how his experience has been.

I lived solely on loans while in undergrad. I worked in a research lab and did some side-work, but all that was saved for when I needed to pay my loans off 6 months after I graduated. You can still work, but I would put that aside and let the government pay your interest through subsidized loans.

The federal government is invested in increasing access to undergraduate education. As such, it tends to be more affordable (compared to professional school) as more subsidized loans are accessible as well as federal grants and university-sponsored aid (free money). Even more aid is available to those with families to support, so I highly suggest that you pursue this route.

Your loans are an investment for your future. When schools look at you, the first bits of information that they look are your grades and DAT scores. These just make up a shell of an applicant, but when a school receives thousands of application for several dozen seats, it becomes the first reliable filter for the school. It is imperative that you do well in your coursework and mitigating that financial burden should help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I lived solely on loans while in undergrad. I worked in a research lab and did some side-work, but all that was saved for when I needed to pay my loans off 6 months after I graduated. You can still work, but I would put that aside and let the government pay your interest through subsidized loans.

The federal government is invested in increasing access to undergraduate education. As such, it tends to be more affordable (compared to professional school) as more subsidized loans are accessible as well as federal grants and university-sponsored aid (free money). Even more aid is available to those with families to support, so I highly suggest that you pursue this route.

Your loans are an investment for your future. When schools look at you, the first bits of information that they look are your grades and DAT scores. These just make up a shell of an applicant, but when a school receives thousands of application for several dozen seats, it becomes the first reliable filter for the school. It is imperative that you do well in your coursework and mitigating that financial burden should help.

Thank you very much for the information. I guess I didn't realize how many people live on their student loans.

I looked into student aid and I see that for most first year-undergrad loans, it caps at 9,500 with no more than 3,500 being subsidized. In your experience does this amount of money cover all your living expenses? Is this for the whole year or per semester? As you could expect, my expenses are much higher than a single student. I know I also qualify for financial aid, but is this enough to cover living off campus, feeding 3 people and other bills?

Just apply and stay in contact with your financial aid office to see if they can get you better loan offers or grants/scholarships. I graduated with $15,000 of subsidized loans remaining after the school gave me grants and scholarships through the 4 years, and I managed to pay those subsidized loans off before any interest accrued. I lived very frugally those 4 years, but yes, my housing and living expenses fell under the umbrella financial aid covered.

A vast majority of students have to live off loans to get through school.

Just apply and stay in contact with your financial aid office to see if they can get you better loan offers or grants/scholarships. I graduated with $15,000 of subsidized loans remaining after the school gave me grants and scholarships through the 4 years, and I managed to pay those subsidized loans off before any interest accrued. I lived very frugally those 4 years, but yes, my housing and living expenses fell under the umbrella financial aid covered.

A vast majority of students have to live off loans to get through school.
I appreciate your advice, I will talk to my financial aid office and explore some of those options. Thank you again.

As mentioned before, try to work less if you can.
I was in the same position, time management is rough, but you do your best. I don't know your work schedule, but try waking up earlier. I mean EARLY. That's what I had to do.

Also, dental schools like to see a full course load, but considering your situation, they don't EXPECT it. They expect that from undergrads who do nothing but go to school and maybe work part time. Not a full time worker with a family to support. So you may also consider taking one less class as well.
This may be your dream and your goal, but remember, your family always comes first.

As mentioned before, try to work less if you can.
I was in the same position, time management is rough, but you do your best. I don't know your work schedule, but try waking up earlier. I mean EARLY. That's what I had to do.

Also, dental schools like to see a full course load, but considering your situation, they don't EXPECT it. They expect that from undergrads who do nothing but go to school and maybe work part time. Not a full time worker with a family to support. So you may also consider taking one less class as well.
This may be your dream and your goal, but remember, your family always comes first.
Thank you, I feel like we are definitely on the same wave length here. As you said my family always comes first and the last thing I want to do is neglect them. Having the world wide open as a dentist and then have them not there because I wasn't for them isn't something I would want.

That is all good advice, I appreciate it.

How heavy was your coarse load in undergrad? Have you applied or got into any schools yet? I'm not sure how far along you are..

Thank you, I feel like we are definitely on the same wave length here. As you said my family always comes first and the last thing I want to do is neglect them. Having the world wide open as a dentist and then have them not there because I wasn't for them isn't something I would want.

That is all good advice, I appreciate it.

How heavy was your coarse load in undergrad? Have you applied or got into any schools yet? I'm not sure how far along you are..
Absolutely! I'm glad to help.
I have been accepted and I'm starting in a few weeks. I was very fortunate.
All the schools that I spoke to understood my situation. I had to balance work, school, and family. They also understood that upon matriculation, I will be balancing only school and family; no work. So even though I was not a full time student I was definitely taking on a full time responsibility, and then some. If they can see I can handle that, they would see I can also handle the course load of dental school.
Do your best to manage your time, but don't bite off more than you can chew. You don't want to bite yourself in the you know what. ESPECIALLY WHEN it comes to your wife and baby. Do your best at the dental office, but reduce hours if necessary. Take only 8-10 credits if that will make it more manageable. Even though you may be taking less classes and even working less hours than some, you're still waking up in the middle of the night to feed, change diapers, calm a colicky baby, calm your wife who may be freaking out that your baby's poop is SLIGHTLY a different color from the day before, checking temperatures, calling urgent care nurses, WebMD'ing, etc...
People understand your situation, and that you're human. However if you try to prove something by doing more than humanly possible, then something else will fail. That can be your studies, your job, or worst of all; your family.
If it takes an extra year, screw it. That's how long it takes. Focus on your family. It took me a number of years, but I'm over 30 years old and starting dental school in the fall.

Best of luck brother. I feel your pain, but work hard! Love your wife and baby (and show them), and keep your eye on the prize. You'll get it!

Reactions: 2 users
I have been accepted and I'm starting in a few weeks. I was very fortunate.
All the schools that I spoke to understood my situation. I had to balance work, school, and family. They also understood that upon matriculation, I will be balancing only school and family; no work. So even though I was not a full time student I was definitely taking on a full time responsibility, and then some. If they can see I can handle that, they would see I can also handle the course load of dental school.
Do your best to manage your time, but don't bite off more than you can chew. You don't want to bite yourself in the you know what. ESPECIALLY WHEN it comes to your wife and baby. Do your best at the dental office, but reduce hours if necessary. Take only 8-10 credits if that will make it more manageable. Even though you may be taking less classes and even working less hours than some, you're still waking up in the middle of the night to feed, change diapers, calm a colicky baby, calm your wife who may be freaking out that your baby's poop is SLIGHTLY a different color from the day before, checking temperatures, calling urgent care nurses, WebMD'ing, etc...
People understand your situation, and that you're human. However if you try to prove something by doing more than humanly possible, then something else will fail. That can be your studies, your job, or worst of all; your family.
If it takes an extra year, screw it. That's how long it takes. Focus on your family. It took me a number of years, but I'm over 30 years old and starting dental school in the fall.

Best of luck brother. I feel your pain, but work hard! Love your wife and baby (and show them), and keep your eye on the prize. You'll get it!
That is honestly such a relief to hear. You always see how everyone talks about how hardcore getting accepted into school is and it makes you think they don't care at all for people who juggle many important responsibilities.

Congratulations on your acceptance! That's exciting! I hope that I can experience that same feeling! If you don't mind my asking, did you take between 8-12 credits in undergrad? What was your major? And lastly what dental school did you choose to attend?

Lol! You definitely sound like you've been around the block with the baby and wife duties! It can be very demanding but ultimately rewarding. Again, thank you for the advice, it's been very helpful and I definitely am trying my best to go for it, I'm 23 so if it takes an extra year or two, that's okay with me.

I am in the same boat with a wife and a 15 month old. Fortunately she works and makes decent money, but it is not enough. I have a scholarship, so I have to take at least 15 hours of credit each semester. With my school load, it is impossible to work a steady job, so I work odd and end jobs when I can. You wouldn't believe some of them. I recently sifted sand out of the rocks in a driveway at someone's beach house. I have cleaned rancid meat out of a freezer at a school when it quit running. With the school work, odd jobs, shadowing and volunteering it doesn't leave much time for the family, but I manage to spend time with them too. You just have to plan well. Good luck and keep working hard it will pay off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently I work full time as a dental assistant to support my wife(she also goes to college) and 8 month old daughter. I also attend a state university.
My dilemma is that I feel stretched thin, family time is important to me as it is also important to my daughters development. I feel that I definitely struggle to take a full class load at university whilst I devote so much time to work and the rest to my family. With the little time I have to spare, it has to be devoted to homework and studying but I feel unprepared and behind with school work.. I know dental schools like to see full class loads when applying but is there anyway I can lighten my course load and still be considered? I'm positive I'm not the only one in this situation, as I'm sure some people even have higher time restraints.. But is there any advice on what I can do to balance my schedule? I feel my GPA will reflect lack of study time.. Is that worse than having a light course load transcript?

I'm a 3rd year dental student and I took fairly light quarters, as the school I was at didn't use the semester system. There were several quarters where I only took the bare minimum that was considered to be a full time student. I didn't have a problem getting accepted anywhere. I wouldn't kill yourself trying to make your schedule trying to appear so intense and heavy, dental school's still want you to have a social/family life too ya know. Also, not to be a downer, but if you think you're spread too thin now, dental school isn't going to be any better. There are many days where I've spent 12+ hours at school, straight, in a row. Besides having class 8-5 basically almost every day, you have lab work to do, projects to work on, staying in the SIM labs working on your hand skills practicing cutting preps/crowns/etc. Worry about your GPA. Take as many courses a semester you're comfortable at balancing.

That is honestly such a relief to hear. You always see how everyone talks about how hardcore getting accepted into school is and it makes you think they don't care at all for people who juggle many important responsibilities.

Congratulations on your acceptance! That's exciting! I hope that I can experience that same feeling! If you don't mind my asking, did you take between 8-12 credits in undergrad? What was your major? And lastly what dental school did you choose to attend?

Lol! You definitely sound like you've been around the block with the baby and wife duties! It can be very demanding but ultimately rewarding. Again, thank you for the advice, it's been very helpful and I definitely am trying my best to go for it, I'm 23 so if it takes an extra year or two, that's okay with me.
No worries! 23 is still young, so you've got time. You will get that feeling as well eventually, don't worry.
When I got back into undergrad, my GPA was low. Super low. But I was taking around 8-10 credits per semester. I wasn't able to dig myself out of my GPA hole, but I definitely showed a significant upward trend. My major was non-sciencd related for undergrad or grad school. I took my prereqs after my masters. My damage was irreparable, so I decided to go to the school that decided to let me go there . My situation is incredibly unique, so I hope you won't be too offended if I don't say where I'm going too school; I would prefer not to identify myself online, it would be rather easy.
Like I said, keep pressing forward. Your time will come!

This is an awesome post , prob one of the best I've seen on Sdn, much respect and good luck in dental school !!!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Thank you brother! Same to you. I know you're going to kill it in Columbia.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same boat with a wife and a 15 month old. Fortunately she works and makes decent money, but it is not enough. I have a scholarship, so I have to take at least 15 hours of credit each semester. With my school load, it is impossible to work a steady job, so I work odd and end jobs when I can. You wouldn't believe some of them. I recently sifted sand out of the rocks in a driveway at someone's beach house. I have cleaned rancid meat out of a freezer at a school when it quit running. With the school work, odd jobs, shadowing and volunteering it doesn't leave much time for the family, but I manage to spend time with them too. You just have to plan well. Good luck and keep working hard it will pay off.
Wow, yeah sounds like you've got a full load yourself. I definitely think I might be looking into the odd jobs sector before its all said and done. Fortunately I get my "shadow" hours at my current job, as I am a dental assistant. I'll just be cutting down some hours and taking slightly less than a full load I think. Thank you for the encouragement!

Wow, yeah sounds like you've got a full load yourself. I definitely think I might be looking into the odd jobs sector before its all said and done. Fortunately I get my "shadow" hours at my current job, as I am a dental assistant. I'll just be cutting down some hours and taking slightly less than a full load I think. Thank you for the encouragement!

I'm sure you already have plenty of shadowing hours but paid dental assisting hours do not count as shadowing hours. I confirmed this with ADEA AADSAS a couple months ago. I thought it would count for both, but they don't want you count the hours twice. If you're just observing, then it's shadowing. If you're sterilizing or assisting, then it's dental related experience and should be listed as volunteer or paid.

On another note, big props to you for juggling life and school at the same time. Take enough units to remain full time and just crush those courses instead of stacking a heavy load and doing just decent. Best of luck to ya!

I'm a 3rd year dental student and I took fairly light quarters, as the school I was at didn't use the semester system. There were several quarters where I only took the bare minimum that was considered to be a full time student. I didn't have a problem getting accepted anywhere. I wouldn't kill yourself trying to make your schedule trying to appear so intense and heavy, dental school's still want you to have a social/family life too ya know. Also, not to be a downer, but if you think you're spread too thin now, dental school isn't going to be any better. There are many days where I've spent 12+ hours at school, straight, in a row. Besides having class 8-5 basically almost every day, you have lab work to do, projects to work on, staying in the SIM labs working on your hand skills practicing cutting preps/crowns/etc. Worry about your GPA. Take as many courses a semester you're comfortable at balancing.
Thank you, it's good to hear that others have gotten by taking less than full loads as well.
I know dental school will be rigorous, but if I get accepted I will quit working altogether as by that time my wife will be done with her college and we can have a little more breathing room monetarily. So that will free up time that I can dedicate strictly to dental school and at least I will be working towards my dream and it will finally be within reach. My wife is very supportive of that goal, because hey, if I become a dentist her life will be easier as well! Lol!
I'm looking forward to working sims/crown cutting etc. I've already fabricated so many crowns, taken so many impressions, placed so many temporary fillings as an assistant I could probably do them all on the dark, that should give me a good head start lol But yes, in all seriousness I know it's very difficult and thank you for sharing your experience, It helps more than you know. Good luck in your 4th year!

I'm sure you already have plenty of shadowing hours but paid dental assisting hours do not count as shadowing hours. I confirmed this with ADEA AADSAS a couple months ago. I thought it would count for both, but they don't want you count the hours twice. If you're just observing, then it's shadowing. If you're sterilizing or assisting, then it's dental related experience and should be listed as volunteer or paid.

On another note, big props to you for juggling life and school at the same time. Take enough units to remain full time and just crush those courses instead of stacking a heavy load and doing just decent. Best of luck to ya!
Really? Good to know.. Do shadowing hours expire? As I have a lot of them that I acquired while in dental assisting college as well.

Thank you very much! That sounds like a good plan to me!

No worries! 23 is still young, so you've got time. You will get that feeling as well eventually, don't worry.
When I got back into undergrad, my GPA was low. Super low. But I was taking around 8-10 credits per semester. I wasn't able to dig myself out of my GPA hole, but I definitely showed a significant upward trend. My major was non-sciencd related for undergrad or grad school. I took my prereqs after my masters. My damage was irreparable, so I decided to go to the school that decided to let me go there . My situation is incredibly unique, so I hope you won't be too offended if I don't say where I'm going too school; I would prefer not to identify myself online, it would be rather easy.
Like I said, keep pressing forward. Your time will come!

Thank you brother! Same to you. I know you're going to kill it in Columbia.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm glad you eventually were able to make it!
No worries man!

Really? Good to know.. Do shadowing hours expire? As I have a lot of them that I acquired while in dental assisting college as well.

Thank you very much! That sounds like a good plan to me!

I don't think they expire so you're good!

I went to school part time

I went to school part time while doing pre reqs and worked full time and I got 10 acceptances. It's fine they don't care about the load that much it's more about how your time is managed and what you use it for. If you went to school part time and then went home and just sat on your butt it would be different, but most schools are very understanding when you have a full time career job and family. I was an RN I couldn't afford to give up full time pay so you do what you have to, don't take extra loans that's really stupid. Explain yourself well in your statement and interviews and you will be fine

I went to school part time
don't take extra loans that's really stupid.

Lol!! I'm glad you said it because that's what I was thinking! Absolutely no reason to live on loans when you are already supporting yourself and a family. If you were a single 18-22 year old kid, then sure. But a husband and dad? No way! Listen to Gators. Lighten your workload *IF* you can. If not, lighten your academic load. I have called schools and for older full-timers with families, we are looked at differently. What is MOST important is that you excel with your GPA and DAT.

Even though you may be taking less classes and even working less hours than some, you're still waking up in the middle of the night to feed, change diapers, calm a colicky baby, calm your wife who may be freaking out that your baby's poop is SLIGHTLY a different color from the day before, checking temperatures, calling urgent care nurses, WebMD'ing, etc...
:nod: You're giving me flashbacks... LOL!

Lol!! I'm glad you said it because that's what I was thinking! Absolutely no reason to live on loans when you are already supporting yourself and a family. If you were a single 18-22 year old kid, then sure. But a husband and dad? No way! Listen to Gators. Lighten your workload *IF* you can. If not, lighten your academic load. I have called schools and for older full-timers with families, we are looked at differently. What is MOST important is that you excel with your GPA and DAT.
I was thinking Something similar but I didn't want to be rude, I don't want any more debt.

Thank you everyone for your input! I really appreciate it and have a much better outlook for my undergrad!

Same boat as both of you married junior year and had a daughter senior had to fund an education and family expenses what i suggest is continuing to take a lighter course load but make sure to do really well on them. Prior to my DAT i saved enough money quit my job and study for 3 months straight. You may want to go that route as opposed to loans.

Precisely!

Hey it's great to see someone in the same boat. I have a wife in Hygiene school and a 2 year old son. I've worked full time as an assistant the last year and a half. I was able to go full time the past 2 semesters, but I had to take a lighter load the year before when my son was younger. I understand your concerns, it always felt like there was never enough time in the day! When I went back to school I had a 2.9 gap and I've been able to get it up to a 3.2 with all the science pre-reqs. I got a good DAT score so I hope they see me for the hard working family man I am now, rather than who I was my first time through college years ago. Good luck to all of you guys and women trying to do this with a family! Your all inspiring.

Hey it's great to see someone in the same boat. I have a wife in Hygiene school and a 2 year old son. I've worked full time as an assistant the last year and a half. I was able to go full time the past 2 semesters, but I had to take a lighter load the year before when my son was younger. I understand your concerns, it always felt like there was never enough time in the day! When I went back to school I had a 2.9 gap and I've been able to get it up to a 3.2 with all the science pre-reqs. I got a good DAT score so I hope they see me for the hard working family man I am now, rather than who I was my first time through college years ago. Good luck to all of you guys and women trying to do this with a family! Your all inspiring.
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience and good luck with your applications! If your DAT is good like you say and your EC's are strong I'm sure you'll land an interview!

Very Inspiring!, Keep doing what your doing and you'll definitely get in!