I need some information regarding Peyronie's Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curiouspatient

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I post on SDN pretty regularly and am a premedical student. I am going through a difficult time medically and need some advice from any of you that are in urology.

After doing some research I have no doubt in my mind that I am suffering from Peyronie's disease. I have included a link at the bottom of this page to the american urology associations electronic pamplet regarding the disorder.

Now, I am very scared and unsure if I will ever have a sex life(I'm a virgin). I am a very young man in my middle to later 20s. Most men that experience this are in their 40s to 50s. I have been struggling with this for a while. I experienced some ED a couple years ago and things have been gradually getting worse. My primary care doctors diagnosed it as a complication from depression. Unfortunately, there have been some physiological changes that I cannot deny(blockage of blood flow, noticeable shortening). For the first year or so I experienced the inflammation and now I can feel the plaque forming. I have also been going through a heavy depression due to the psychological ramifications of the disease. My parents are very ignorant when it comes to discussing things of this nature and haven't really been of much help, e.g. think that masturbation is wrong and causative of this problem. Only now after some antidepressants have I even be able to really ask for some help. Currently I am uninsured and awaiting approval from a medical insurance carrier.

I really need some advice/help from anyone who has any experience dealing with this disorder. I understand that many of you are probably still training and don't expect a solution just yet. I just need some support and hopefully some leads in what I can do.

Thanks and please include only helpful comments.

For some more information:
http://www.urologyhealth.org/search/index.cfm?topic=50&search=peyronie's%20AND%20disease&searchtype=and

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really think you're going to get many replies.

First of all medical advice is not allowed on SDN. I'm sure the moderator is going to close this thread fairly soon.

Next, if you have peyronie's disease, I'd go and see a reconstructive urologist. Ask your primarcy care doc to give you a referal. I wouldn't necessarily see a regular general urologist for this problem. I think it would be good to see someone who's done a fellowship in reconstructive urology after residency.

Good luck.

Peyronie's disease is a build-up of fibrous material at the base of the penis that prevents expansion and elongation of the corpus cavernousa. The fact that the carvernousa will not lengthen prevents the veins respsonsible for outflow from lengthening and thus occluding. Therefor, blood flows in and right back out up to the end of the plaque areas.

This is most common the result of trauma during sex. Usually with the affected male on bottom with partner on top (ie. ridin' em). Penis slips out, partner comes down, penis bends in direction not intended.

Peyronie's is not caused by depression.

Sounds like good ole ED. Unless of course you've been masturbating like a masochist or "accidently" ran into a door with a boner.

See your urologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
cytoskelement said:
Peyronie's disease is a build-up of fibrous material at the base of the penis that prevents expansion and elongation of the corpus cavernousa. The fact that the carvernousa will not lengthen prevents the veins respsonsible for outflow from lengthening and thus occluding. Therefor, blood flows in and right back out up to the end of the plaque areas.

This is most common the result of trauma during sex. Usually with the affected male on bottom with partner on top (ie. ridin' em). Penis slips out, partner comes down, penis bends in direction not intended.

Peyronie's is not caused by depression.

Sounds like good ole ED. Unless of course you've been masturbating like a masochist or "accidently" ran into a door with a boner.

See your urologist.

Perhaps posting this was a mistake. Thanks, both of you. I hope things will be resolved for me soon.

In 2019, Can PRP and Penile Traction Device Replace Collagenase to Treat Peyronie’s Disease?
Peyronie's disease (PD) is an accumulation of collagen in the penis that creates a scar, producing a deformity and pain in the erectile state, that affects between 1%-8% of men. Medical laboratory proposes a new strategy to treat PD based on combined therapy of platelet-rich fibrin matrix (PRFM or activated-PRP) with a penile traction device (PTD) designed to treat penile curvatures. Now urologists, their patients and health insurance companies may have a cost-effective alternative to collagenase and surgery for effectively treating Peyronie's disease, without side effects of other therapies.

In 2013 the US-FDA approved the use of collagenase (CCH) for its treatment. Collagenase is an enzyme that breaks the peptide bonds of collagen, but medical studies showed that effectiveness was limited to a 33% correction of penile curvature. In 2013, Dr. Martínez-Salamanca (Spain) carried out a hospital study with the penile traction device called PTT to treat Peyronie's disease in the acute phase, achieving a 60% correction of the curvature. In 2015 the American Urological Association recommends treating Peyronie's disease with combined collagenase therapy and Peyronie's plaque remodeling, done with manual exercises or with a soft progressive force for a few hours a day with a penile traction device (PTD).
Medical protocol

In 2018 Dr. Terlecki (USA) published a clinical study on the use of autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP) in Peyronie's disease whose conclusions were that the activated-PRP or PRFM appears to be a safe and feasible treatment, more than 80% of patients improved in their degree of curvature. Evidence suggests that platelets play an important role in tissue repair, vascular remodeling and inflammatory and immune responses through secretion of growth factors, cytokines and chemokines. Thus, injection of PRFM could combine mechanical disruption of the plaque, via needle fracture, while simultaneously neutralizing destructive inflammatory processes in an effort to promote a better wound-healing response and stabilize the disrupted plaque. It is important to note that collagenase injection does not address appropriate wound healing or regeneration of the damaged tissue.
Clinical study

In 2013 Dr. Chung (Australia) demonstrated that penile traction translates mechanical stimuli into a chemical response leading to activation of cell proliferation. In 2019 Dr. Romero (Spain) published a clinical study demonstrating that the use of a penile traction device reduces the need of cycles of collagenase in patients with Peyronie's disease. Clinical studies

The world of urology is advancing rapidly and clinics are beginning to use this promising combined therapy of platelet rich plasma with penile traction therapy in hopes of wound healing and tissue regeneration. New treatment options for Peyronie's disease are opening up, with benefits for patients, urologists and health insurance companies. Therapy of PRP with PTD is an effective treatment without side effects, easily performed in the doctor's office and a cost-effective alternative to other therapies.

Status
Not open for further replies.