I realized I may have accidentally filled fake Rx after talking to customer at checkout, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Box Kitty

Reaction score
Could I get into trouble for reporting the issue???? I am afraid that I will get into trouble for self reporting on an Rx that I dispensed if it turns out to be fake.

Sometimes, it is the customer interaction that can give them away. I did not realize until after the fact.

So would I get into trouble for reporting (after having someone call the doctor's office to confirm it is fake, obviously!)? I feel like it is the right thing to do, especially for the doctor who has had their Rx pad and DEA number stolen

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you did your due diligence at the time and filled in good faith, you're fine. It's only if you knowingly filled an illegal prescription that you should be worried.

Could I get into trouble for reporting the issue???? I am afraid that I will get into trouble for self reporting on an Rx that I dispensed if it turns out to be fake.

Sometimes, it is the customer interaction that can give them away. I did not realize until after the fact.

So would I get into trouble for reporting (after having someone call the doctor's office to confirm it is fake, obviously!)? I feel like it is the right thing to do, especially for the doctor who has had their Rx pad and DEA number stolen
Don't worry about it. I had a similar thing happen when I was a tech. A patient brought a fake script but if course there is no way for the pharmacist to tell. A cop came by and had us try to identify the individual from a line up. That's all.