I really need some advice with my personal statement. Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Follow your dreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently applying for my Masters program in Anatomy. The reason I am going that route is because I need to boost my science GPA. Is it wise for me to include that bit of information in my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am currently applying for my Masters program in Anatomy. The reason I am going that route is because I need to boost my science GPA. Is it wise for me to include that bit of information in my personal statement?

I'm not at expert but I was a return to school student after a 7 year hiatus. When I left I had a 1.5 GPA for freshman year (due to not withdrawing from classes I never stepped foot in) and academic probation. I included a brief part about this, but indirectly. More like how I came to know I was ready to return, and how excited I was the second time around. All relating back to my evolution to medicine. So I would say work it in, but only if it's part of your inspiration or story. Don't if it's just a means to an end. The rest of the application will let them know you're in that degree program if that's all you're doing by putting it in your personal statement.

PS graduate courses will not change your science GPA. If you really need to raise it (I don't know what it is now) then you'll have to take other undergrad science courses, like a post bacc.

Disclaimer: I am but a mere pre-med applicant with zero MD interviews and 2 DO interviews so take all my advice with a grain of salt. I am at breakfast by myself after studying physics all night in the library, all caught up on my watched threads, was browsing the forum, and decided to respond to you.

Reactions: 1 users
If you excel in your Master's classes, or at least demonstrate significant academic improvement, you will certainly want to include that in your PS, as your prior academic performance is a red flag. Including it will demonstrate maturity, growth and character. As with any item included in the PS, it needs to be done in such a way as to fit within the overall narrative of the PS. Don't just stick it in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not at expert but I was a return to school student after a 7 year hiatus. When I left I had a 1.5 GPA for freshman year (due to not withdrawing from classes I never stepped foot in) and academic probation. I included a brief part about this, but indirectly. More like how I came to know I was ready to return, and how excited I was the second time around. All relating back to my evolution to medicine. So I would say work it in, but only if it's part of your inspiration or story. Don't if it's just a means to an end. The rest of the application will let them know you're in that degree program if that's all you're doing by putting it in your personal statement.

PS graduate courses will not change your science GPA. If you really need to raise it (I don't know what it is now) then you'll have to take other undergrad science courses, like a post bacc.

Disclaimer: I am but a mere pre-med applicant with zero MD interviews and 2 DO interviews so take all my advice with a grain of salt. I am at breakfast by myself after studying physics all night in the library, all caught up on my watched threads, was browsing the forum, and decided to respond to you.

Thank you so much for you advice, I appreciate your help! Good luck to you on your academic journey.

If you excel in your Master's classes, or at least demonstrate significant academic improvement, you will certainly want to include that in your PS, as your prior academic performance is a red flag. Including it will demonstrate maturity, growth and character. As with any item included in the PS, it needs to be done in such a way as to fit within the overall narrative of the PS. Don't just stick it in.
Agreed, thanks for your advice!