I shadowed an OD today

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually it was yesterday, but since I'm still awake I'll consider it today. Anyway, it was really interesting for the most part, but the optometrist that I shadowed mainly talked to his patients. He showed me a couple things, but I was hoping that he would show me more. I only could shadow him for half of a day because he had to go somewhere.

For those of you who have shadowed OD's, did you pretty much just sit there while he/she examined patients, or did you get to learn more? I asked questions when I had them, but this guy was telling his patients stories about random things in his life just as much as he was doing the exam and I didn't have much to add to the conservation much of the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

When I went to shadow ODs, I basically just followed them around and sat there. I asked questions when I could, as I had many. When I asked them about some sort of equipment, they briefly explained its function.

So, the most input I had throughout the day was asking questions. They were really nice and stayed after the day was over to answer my questions. I'm not sure what else you could do unless it was more of a long term agreement, like volunteering or becoming an optician.

Ning-Ju

Ning said:
Hello,

When I went to shadow ODs, I basically just followed them around and sat there. I asked questions when I could, as I had many. When I asked them about some sort of equipment, they briefly explained its function.

So, the most input I had throughout the day was asking questions. They were really nice and stayed after the day was over to answer my questions. I'm not sure what else you could do unless it was more of a long term agreement, like volunteering or becoming an optician.

Ning-Ju

Do you know to what extent shadowing will help in being accepted to an optometry school? I was wondering if I should try to shadow another OD. I think I might ask one at a retail chain. The OD I shadowed had his own practice. It might be interesting to see how a retail chain like wal-mart would differ from a private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Difinitely try to shadow another OD, perferably one practicing in a different setting like you mentioned. During interviews, they asked me how I thought the settings were different and which I would prefer to practice in. Also try to shadow ODs with different specialities, they also asked that during the interview.

Shadowing is more of a brief exposure to optometry. I shadowed three ODs total, one at a hospital and the other at a private practice. I think the total number of hours I spend shadowing was around 16. I think IU asked me specifiaclly about the total amount of time I spent.

It would help lots to volunteer or work there though! That experience would definitely make you stand out as an applicant.

Ning-Ju

RLK said:
Actually it was yesterday, but since I'm still awake I'll consider it today. Anyway, it was really interesting for the most part, but the optometrist that I shadowed mainly talked to his patients. He showed me a couple things, but I was hoping that he would show me more. I only could shadow him for half of a day because he had to go somewhere.

For those of you who have shadowed OD's, did you pretty much just sit there while he/she examined patients, or did you get to learn more? I asked questions when I had them, but this guy was telling his patients stories about random things in his life just as much as he was doing the exam and I didn't have much to add to the conservation much of the time.

Did his practice have good music?

I have worked at a retail setting for almost a year now. I want to experience different modes of practice. Beyond shadowing an OD, what other ways can I gain exposure to the field?

I've gone to community forums hosted by local ODs, and I've done a couple of vision screenings. Where else can I learn about the career?

I'm looking into doing a Mobile Eye Clinic. Perhaps volunteering or shadowing an ophthalmologist would be interesting too. In general, I'd like a fun, interesting, experience wherein I can actually learn.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

ericlemonster said:
I have worked at a retail setting for almost a year now. I want to experience different modes of practice. Beyond shadowing an OD, what other ways can I gain exposure to the field?

I've gone to community forums hosted by local ODs, and I've done a couple of vision screenings. Where else can I learn about the career?

I'm looking into doing a Mobile Eye Clinic. Perhaps volunteering or shadowing an ophthalmologist would be interesting too. In general, I'd like a fun, interesting, experience wherein I can actually learn.

sounds like you've already done more than most applicants, so I would think you know as much as you probably will know as a pre-op student. You could go to a VA setting where they see more diseases and stuff like that, which you may not see in a general practice setting. thumbs up for trying hard :thumbup:

ODhopeful said:
sounds like you've already done more than most applicants, so I would think you know as much as you probably will know as a pre-op student. You could go to a VA setting where they see more diseases and stuff like that, which you may not see in a general practice setting. thumbs up for trying hard :thumbup:

Thanks. I think I might ask this woman that's an optometrist at wal-mart if I can shadow her. I'm curious to see what it's like in a retail setting.

ericlemonster said:

i suggest reading some optometric publications (review of optometry) to gain more exposure to the field. although you may not understand most of the articles, there will be a few that are relevant to you (student debt, current issues).

ODhopeful said:

Well, I've put a lot of thought into it, because I want to be SURE this is the career I spend the rest (or most) of my life with. Unfortunately, my #1 school thought this was not enough effort on my behalf to learn about the field.

I just got a list of alumni, so I'll be giving them a call. However, I find it hard to even be offered a visit to shadow in a VA/hospital setting. It's much easier at a private practice, but there's usually so much paperwork to fill out at other places.

SCRADERS:

How/Where can I get a hold of these magazines? The only time I see them is when I actually go to an opt. school library. Of course, I can't afford to subscribe to many. And if you have any recommendations, please do tell me.

I subscribe to the review of opt. e-newletter, but it seems to be more of a commerical than an actualy academic journal.

ericlemonster said:
Well, I've put a lot of thought into it, because I want to be SURE this is the career I spend the rest (or most) of my life with. Unfortunately, my #1 school thought this was not enough effort on my behalf to learn about the field.

I just got a list of alumni, so I'll be giving them a call. However, I find it hard to even be offered a visit to shadow in a VA/hospital setting. It's much easier at a private practice, but there's usually so much paperwork to fill out at other places.

SCRADERS:

How/Where can I get a hold of these magazines? The only time I see them is when I actually go to an opt. school library. Of course, I can't afford to subscribe to many. And if you have any recommendations, please do tell me.

I subscribe to the review of opt. e-newletter, but it seems to be more of a commerical than an actualy academic journal.

i don't subscribe to any magazines; i just read them off their website.

review of optometry (revoptom.com)
optometric management (optometric.com)

sometimes the optometrist that i'm shadowing will give me his copies...it's better than throwing it in the trash, i suppose...

ericlemonster said:
Unfortunately, my #1 school thought this was not enough effort on my behalf to learn about the field.

Seriously? It appeared that you had done a ton to involve yourself in the field and to learn about it. Did they tell you this during an interview or make it known via not getting accepted?

luvthemhogs said:
Seriously? It appeared that you had done a ton to involve yourself in the field and to learn about it. Did they tell you this during an interview or make it known via not getting accepted?

I was waitlisted. Then, I came back to talk to two different admissions people, and their notes from my interview day state that they wanted me to show more involvment/knowledge of the field/different modes of practice.

I'll be calling around to shadow some private ODs soon. Again, anyone in the southern california area with some networks that I can patch into? i really just want to learn and see things.