I suck at RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkbaltimore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I'm retaking my DAT in mid july, but I suck at RC...
I don't know how to get better outside of practice, practice, practice.
Do you guys take notes when you're doing the RC section? What's a good test taking strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
So I'm retaking my DAT in mid july, but I suck at RC...
I don't know how to get better outside of practice, practice, practice.
Do you guys take notes when you're doing the RC section? What's a good test taking strategy?

A lot of students struggle with this section. The best advice I give my students it to focus on increasing reading and comprehension speeds. That can only be done by spending time reading. Taking timed tests is not enough to help most students in this area. I advise my students to read at least 30 minutes every day leading up to the exam. You can read newspapers, national geographic, or a book. Just read!

It is not necessary to read on the computer, I am convinced all students are expert in reading on a computer screen so we don't need to practice that skill. Just before bed pick up a book, etc and use it for relaxation and you are also improving your reading skills.

There is no way you can be prepared for the exact passage you will get on the DAT, that is why if your reading and comprehension skills are good you will be able to tackle the passages given to you on the DAT.

If English is a 2nd language most schools are a little forgiving on the reading score.

Hope this helps and just my 2 cents..

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A lot of students struggle with this section. The best advice I give my students it to focus on increasing reading and comprehension speeds. That can only be done by spending time reading. Taking timed tests is not enough to help most students in this area. I advise my students to read at least 30 minutes every day leading up to the exam. You can read newspapers, national geographic, or a book. Just read!

It is not necessary to read on the computer, I am convinced all students are expert in reading on a computer screen so we don't need to practice that skill. Just before bed pick up a book, etc and use it for relaxation and you are also improving your reading skills.

There is no way you can be prepared for the exact passage you will get on the DAT, that is why if your reading and comprehension skills are good you will be able to tackle the passages given to you on the DAT.

If English is a 2nd language most schools are a little forgiving on the reading score.

Hope this helps and just my 2 cents..

Nancy

Yes! Thank god this advice was given! English is my second language and I do read at night almost 50 minutes in hopes it will correlate to the actual exam.

Reactions: 1 user
When it comes to schools been forgiven on English not really true because I got 15 on my English and I had really high science scores and still got reject from schools! Do your best to at least get scores above 17 or 18 on RC

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to schools been forgiven on English not really true because I got 15 on my English and I had really high science scores and still got reject from schools! Do your best to at least get scores above 17 or 18 on RC

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I agree a 15 is low but I have seen students get accepted with a 15 but not often. I agree 17 or better is optimum, but all schools are different plus all students have different backgrounds, GPA's, etc. Not all students are created equal, there a many factors.

Find a technique you are comfortable with. That truly makes all the difference. I took my first RC on Bootcamp and got a 20 using S&D. I later used BYU4U's RC technique which I kind of tweaked for myself and I've been scoring 24+ on Bootcamp. I first take a look through the passage to see how many paragraphs it is. I generally give the first two paragraphs (and title) a good read so I have an idea where the author is going to take the passage. I then pick up the pace up until the halfway point. Normally, all paragraphs are roughly the same in length, but make sure you balance out the half-way point if they are not.

If the essay is filled with detailed info, after I would finish each paragraph I would quickly skim back and make sure I remember what each paragraph was generally about. Pretty much a mental map of the paragraph, if need be. If I find myself not having a hard time remembering details then I just read until the half-way point. You'll know if you have to do that or not. I then go through all the problems answering them one at a time. If you read a problem and you have never seen any of the words then it is definitely in your second-half read and skip it. Once you get through all the questions for the first half you should have roughly 10+ minutes for the second half quick read and answering the remaining questions. Save the tone/what does the author think about this statement questions for the end. If you are under 10 minutes then you'll have to pick up the pace or S&D, but if you practice this enough you should easily get through the first half and associated questions in 10 mins. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Find a technique you are comfortable with. That truly makes all the difference. I took my first RC on Bootcamp and got a 20 using S&D. I later used BYU4U's RC technique which I kind of tweaked for myself and I've been scoring 24+ on Bootcamp. I first take a look through the passage to see how many paragraphs it is. I generally give the first two paragraphs (and title) a good read so I have an idea where the author is going to take the passage. I then pick up the pace up until the halfway point. Normally, all paragraphs are roughly the same in length, but make sure you balance out the half-way point if they are not.

If the essay is filled with detailed info, after I would finish each paragraph I would quickly skim back and make sure I remember what each paragraph was generally about. Pretty much a mental map of the paragraph, if need be. If I find myself not having a hard time remembering details then I just read until the half-way point. You'll know if you have to do that or not. I then go through all the problems answering them one at a time. If you read a problem and you have never seen any of the words then it is definitely in your second-half read and skip it. Once you get through all the questions for the first half you should have roughly 10+ minutes for the second half quick read and answering the remaining questions. Save the tone/what does the author think about this statement questions for the end. If you are under 10 minutes then you'll have to pick up the pace or S&D, but if you practice this enough you should easily get through the first half and associated questions in 10 mins. Best of luck!

WOW! Thank you so much for taking your time to write this much! I really appreciate it!!!
But what is BYU4U??

Thanks!

In all seriousness, it was a strategy I made up that was a balance between search and destroy/normal reading then answering.

Here is the link.

My RC strategy, the balanced approach
http://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/My-RC-strategy,-the-balanced-approach.1138782/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

hahaha your first reply was so ominous! but thank you for this!!
Definitely going to be trying this out tomorrow as well! Like the old you, I can't seem to hit anything above a 19 or 20 on bootcamp. Excited to see how this works!!

Reactions: 1 user