I tested postive for the TB test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BUT this is what I want to say to everyone who's raging on you cause you don't want to take it.. I decided not to take it either.. and this is why. 1. you can't drink any alcohol and when I got the TB test it was right after my 21st birthday so I'm sorry if ya'll think it's selfish but I was not giving up what I just got for 6 months (and I was graduating imagine the celebrating).. However, the doctor also said that the medicine is ONLY ONLY ONLY must I say it again ONLY good for the current TB exposure.. So while you're not contagious and say you give rid of this strand.. If you're in the hospital working again and someone with TB coughs on you.. Guess what you have to do again! Get another round of medication. This could potentially happen every single time you get coughed on by someone with TB. In fact, how would you know which coughers have TB unless of course that's why they are there. So at an extreme.. every time you get coughed on you could be having to take this medication..

Yes and every time a patient gives you the flu, scabies, an Staph infection or other contagious infection...guess what? You get treated for it! That's right, you get treated for these conditions even though you may some day get reinfected....and then be treated for them again. Why? Because you have chosen to work in the health care profession where you will be exposed to many dozens of sick people a day who may infect you and inversely you will become a vector to spread infections to dozens more people if you don't follow proper hygiene, precautions, and treatment regimes. The fact that you are ok about hacking up blood one day does make it morally right for you to be allowed to make people suffer the same thing.

(OMG, I cannot believe I just had to explain this to someone who is seriously considering a career in medicine.)
 
Yeah, that's my fault. I apologize for taking it into a different discussion. Either way, it would be prudent to get treatment for LTBI since hospitals, where you rotate, are pretty much going to want you to have followed standard protocol for LTBI, which generally includes chemoprophylaxis.
 
First the disclaimer: SDN is not the place to go for medical advice.

Now my comments: honestly I don't see how the ABX regiment will affect your academic performance. Most patients don't get that many side effects, except in some cases. Also, if you DO take them, watch your EtOH intake...several of the drugs sensitize your liver and if you booze it up, you could accelerate an acute drug-induced hepatitis. Get yourself checked out if something seems funky while on the drugs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is slightly off topic but related.

I was born in China and got the BCG vaccine for TB so I ALWAYS turn up positive for TB and have to get chest x-rays done. Its a hassle. but the real question is why doesn't this vaccine get used more often in the US?

BCG is not a very effective vaccine, and because it causes the PPD skin test to always be positive, also eliminates our surveillance of and ability to treat latent TB.
 
So I haven't really read the responses.. except the last couple.. and some at first..

Now let me disclaimer this by saying that it is important to make sure you don't become active.. but the doctor I spoke with said it's usually pretty obvious and if you're not certain just go get a chest x-ray..

Probably every new place you start will require the x-ray. and I've heard once a year or so, or simply if you start to show symptoms. I had a letter from my doctor and it just stated about my chest xrays and said it was fine and no hospitals turned me down for volunteering or anything like that..

Regardless.. you have to do what you think is best for you right now.. I know people that took medicine and I know people that didn't and regardless always show up positive and still have to get chest x-rays to say their fine.

By the time you realize that you have reactivated, you will likely have exposed a good number of other people.

I understand the thing about turning 21. Drinking moderately, and maybe coming in to do some liver enzyme tests once in a while, might be OK. Or if anything, start INH a little later once you get tired of drinking heavily (haha). Just do the course at some point, of course sooner is better.
 
By the time you realize that you have reactivated, you will likely have exposed a good number of other people.

I understand the thing about turning 21. Drinking moderately, and maybe coming in to do some liver enzyme tests once in a while, might be OK. Or if anything, start INH a little later once you get tired of drinking heavily (haha). Just do the course at some point, of course sooner is better.

well put. Heavy drinking and not believing in following doctors' advice is no way to begin (or continue) a medical career.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.