General Admissions & OTCAS I want to go to Columbia for OT school. Just finished second year of undergrad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadandHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I have wanted to be an OT since I was 16. Occasionally I waver between OT and Clinical Psych but ultimately I know OT is the best option for me. I have been working hard to maintain an excellent GPA and participate in relevant extracurriculars. Here are my stats so far

Overall GPA: 3.71
Anatomy: B
Physiology: B
Developmental Psych: A
Research Seminar (researched bariatric surgery): A
Abnormal Psych: A
Elementary Statistics: A-

I go to Boston University which is notorious for grade deflation in the sciences so I really hope that is taken into consideration regarding my A&P grades.

Activities:
Recreation Therapist at a nursing home for 1 year and will continue
Research Assistant in BU's Motor Development Lab for one semester
Intercollegiate Tae Kwon Do
SAT Tutors for Inner-City High School Students for two semesters
50 Observation Hours in a PT/OT out-patient rehab setting
K-2 Math and Reading Teacher for summer of 2017 for inner-City, low income families.

What should I do to be more competitive? Should I contact Columbia and express my interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would join the pre-OT or pre-PT groups offered at many colleges. Also, you can never get enough observation hours.

You have an EXCELLENT shot of getting in. I was accepted this year with similar stats but declined due to financial reasons. As much as I wanted to attend, it didn't make sense to go over 100k plus housing in debt for OT school when I would get the same salary going to a cheaper school. I chose a program that is less than half!

Ive messaged you.