I want to join the military but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ALnap

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Don't know if I'm posting in the wrong forum]

Hi all,

I'm currently a junior in college. I always expected to go straight to medical school, but now after a lot of soul searching I realized that going to med school and residency for 7+ years in my 20's just doesn't seem like the right path for me. I decided that I want to live life to the fullest and spend my youth doing something amazing and memorable; basically become a person I would want to meet.

I always pondered the possibility of joining the military because it seemed so admirable. I always thought, though, that it just isn't possible since I wanted to be a civilian doctor. But now, I really am considering joining the Navy after college and going the officer route, then going to medical school afterwards. There are some questions that I have though, if anyone has any advice.

1. If I gather LOR's before leaving college, will they be okay to keep and submit 4-8 years later?
2. I've already fulfilled all pre-reqs, but will I have to retake them if I go this route?
3. Is being a military a good, bad, or neutral thing when applying to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a junior in college. I always expected to go straight to medical school, but now after a lot of soul searching I realized that going to med school and residency for 7+ years in my 20's just doesn't seem like the right path for me. I decided that I want to live life to the fullest and spend my youth doing something amazing and memorable; basically become a person I would want to meet.

I always pondered the possibility of joining the military because it seemed so admirable. I always thought, though, that it just isn't possible since I wanted to be a civilian doctor. But now, I really am considering joining the Navy after college and going the officer route, then going to medical school afterwards. There are some questions that I have though, if anyone has any advice.

1. If I gather LOR's before leaving college, will they be okay to keep and submit 4-8 years later?
2. I've already fulfilled all pre-reqs, but will I have to retake them if I go this route?
3. Is being a military a good, bad, or neutral thing when applying to medical school?
1) You'll have to check the storage limits for any letter storage service you want to use. Regardless, you'd want to try to get any letter writers to resubmit letters with a new date closer to the time you plan to apply, hoping you can find them by then).

2) Some schools expire prerequisites. Many others will have a concern if you haven't demonstrated recent academic prowess (within the previous 6 months to 2 years). Others will be satisfied with a decent MCAT score demonstrating that you recall the material through self-study.

3) Military experience with definitely be considered a positive on your application (as would the Peace Corps).

Side note: I'm under the impression that you participate in ROTC during college to be commissioned as an officer. Is this not true?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is a college degree all that's required to become an officer, or must you serve for awhile before (not-necessarily guaranteed) selection for officer training school?

In the Navy, you speak to a recruiter and apply to go to officer candidate school. You just go to RI and go through the 12 weeks. There are other paths to a commission though, including paths for current enlisted folks.

Is a college degree all that's required to become an officer, or must you serve for awhile before (not-necessarily guaranteed) selection for officer training school?
Yes, college degree is all that’s required. There are a few different ways to get in as an officer, ROTC is one and “direct commission” let’s you go civilian > .mil.

Go for it, taking time off of pure academics to chase dreams definitely isn’t wasted. What branch/‘job’ are you interested in going after? I’m doing Army HPSP rn and would give anything to go back in time and live the dream of trying out for CRO

Most schools require the date on the letter to be within one year of app submission. A 4-8 year old letter won't work.

You'll need to keep in touch with your LOR writers or find new ones later.

Why not HPSP or the military school in Maryland?

Yes, college degree is all that’s required.
In the Navy, you speak to a recruiter and apply to go to officer candidate school..
My sister was told this by her recruiter before she joined the Army directly after obtaining her bachelors degree, but it never happened. Thus my reservations on this pathway. Does this guarantee appear in one's "contract" now, or must one take the verbal promise on faith.

A word of caution. Recruiters, no matter how admirable and honest they seem, are most often either avoiding some amount of truth or are simply oblivious to some of the finer nuances of different military careers and contracts. Always speak to people who have served in similar roles and careers that you potentially want to pursue in order to gain a more realistic perspective on the matter. Committing to a military contract, no matter the job, is a big deal and shouldn't be rushed. Recruiters will often try and rush you into signing by using bonuses, debt repayment and school opportunities as bait. An extra $10k, while it may sound tempting, isn't worth 4-6 years of misery if you rush into something you hate.

Reactions: 2 users
My sister was told this by her recruiter before she joined the Army directly after obtaining her bachelors degree, but it never happened. Thus my reservations on this pathway. Does this guarantee appear in one's "contract" now, or must one take the verbal promise on faith.

The Army is different. I believe you enlist first with a designation for OCS, but of course they can always change stuff. I believe the Army is the only branch that does that. For the Navy, when you join as an officer, you sign a contract stating you will be going right to RI.

A word of caution. Recruiters, no matter how admirable and honest they seem, are most often either avoiding some amount of truth or are simply oblivious to some of the finer nuances of different military careers and contracts. Always speak to people who have served in similar roles and careers that you potentially want to pursue in order to gain a more realistic perspective on the matter. Committing to a military contract, no matter the job, is a big deal and shouldn't be rushed. Recruiters will often try and rush you into signing by using bonuses, debt repayment and school opportunities as bait. An extra $10k, while it may sound tempting, isn't worth 4-6 years of misery if you rush into something you hate.

"But my recruiter told me..."

Reactions: 4 users
1) You'll have to check the storage limits for any letter storage service you want to use. Regardless, you'd want to try to get any letter writers to resubmit letters with a new date closer to the time you plan to apply, hoping you can find them by then).

2) Some schools expire prerequisites. Many others will have a concern if you haven't demonstrated recent academic prowess (within the previous 6 months to 2 years). Others will be satisfied with a decent MCAT score demonstrating that you recall the material through self-study.

3) Military experience with definitely be considered a positive on your application (as would the Peace Corps).

Side note: I'm under the impression that you participate in ROTC during college to be commissioned as an officer. Is this not true?

No I'm not ROTC; my old idea of joining the military only recently evolved into an actual desire to serve.

Regarding the LOR's, it sounds pretty risky then if I go this route - if a professor forgets who I am/retires/dies or I simply can't get in touch again.

How would I show "recent academic prowess" if I have been well out of school (besides acing the MCAT? Is there a way non-trads typically do this?

Also, is it difficult to get accepted as a Navy officer right out of college?

1) Regarding the LOR's, it sounds pretty risky then if I go this route - if a professor forgets who I am/retires/dies or I simply can't get in touch again.

2) How would I show "recent academic prowess" if I have been well out of school (besides acing the MCAT? Is there a way non-trads typically do this?
1) Yes, it is risky. You'd need to get new LORs that are recent to replace any which have dates you cant get updated.

2) You would take more upper-level Bio in the year prior to application. These faculty members would also be good sources of fresh LORs.

If you’re not in a hurry to go to medical school this would be a great plan. If your plans don’t change should be a much more competitive applicant with military service. You would earn the post 9/11 G.I. Bill which would make medical school much more affordable in the future. You also might find that you like the Navy or federal service more than medicine and save yourself the trouble.

1) Yes, it is risky. You'd need to get new LORs that are recent to replace any which have dates you cant get updated.

2) You would take more upper-level Bio in the year prior to application. These faculty members would also be good sources of fresh LORs.

2) These would probably be from a post-bacc program I'm guessing?

Oh boy, are you gonna be disappointed when you get to the fleet.

Please enlighten this naive one.

2) These would probably be from a post-bacc program I'm guessing?
It could be a do-it-yourself post bac at any university or a formal full-time program with a set curriculum, but the former is cheaper, you can pick classes in which you are interested, and it can be designed to accommodate your schedule better.

I was a naval officer for 5 years between college and start of med school (this summer). At first I was apprehensive about it and afraid it would mess up my medical career timing and ambitions but now I am SO glad I did. I would do the same thing again in a heartbeat.

My military experience helped me a ton with applications. I created a really cohesive application that expressed how my time as a naval officer will make me a better doctor. I did not retake any prereqs but I did apply with courses like genchem and physics that were 8-9 years old. Didn’t have any issues. I did take 2 upper level bio classes at my alma mater alumni post bacc while I prepared for the MCAT. My gpa from college was pretty meh but did really well on the MCAT and got As in the post bacc classes.

4/6 of my LORs were from my department heads or COs. I think those letters and my PS got me into school tbh. 2 letters were from 2 professors of the post-bacc classes.

I highly recommend getting some life experience before med school. I went to over 30 countries and had some serious responsibility (and even more fun). I met the best friends of my life, I lived in different countries, and really developed some perspective. I start med school this summer and while it’s been a little weird for me readjusting to the classroom, especially with classmates up to 7 years younger than me, I’ve still made a lot of friends and really meshed with the student body at the school I’ll be attending.

If you have any questions, let me know!