I was told that med school admissions frown upon anything below an A in O-chem,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, are you screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101? (Since ochem is a harder level class and bio 101 is a basic level class.)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, are you screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101? (Since ochem is a harder level class and bio 101 is a basic level class.)

No, you are not screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101. There is so much more to your application than the grade you got in one class.

No, plenty of people have gotten C's in Organic and are now attending medical school.

wrong,
got a b in ochem 1
got a b+ in ochem 2

accepted :thumbup:

Don't listen to off hand ******s, get on this forum, read and read and read some more. Then, after you read for the next year as you start to think about med school, YOU'LL soon be the one giving ACCURATE advice to others :thumbup:

I forgot to mention:

An introductory bio class doesn't necassarily have to be easier tha O'chem.

The OP has created several threads like this as of late. I'm starting to wonder if he/she is simply trolling.

An introductory bio class doesn't necassarily have to be easier tha O'chem.
Uh...yeah, it does. This is a lot like saying "Intro sociology doesn't necessarily have to be easier than advanced thermodynamics." Sure, there's no official rule that says one class has to be harder than another, but that's just kind of how it is.

The OP has created several threads like this as of late. I'm starting to wonder if he/she is simply trolling.

No. I think he/she is genuine. A lot of people freak out over this type of stuff. It seems like he/she is a freshman who just recieved their first semester grades...I was also nervous after I recieved my first semester grades.

Uh...yeah, it does. This is a lot like saying "Intro sociology doesn't necessarily have to be easier than advanced thermodynamics." Sure, there's no official rule that says one class has to be harder than another, but that's just kind of how it is.

The easiness of any course can not be measured solely by the difficulty of the course-material. The Instructor, class size, etc. can also factor in.

I took Organic II with two introductory bio courses. My Organic II class was not too hard, and the instructor was of average difficulty. On the other hand, both of my bio courses had really hard profs, and I had to compete with 500+ kids in my class. I remember specifically having trouble with the bio lab practical's....

Members don't see this ad :)
The easiness of any course can not be measured solely by the difficulty of the course-material. The Instructor, class size, etc. can also factor in.

I took Organic II with two introductory bio courses. My Organic II class was not too hard, and the instructor was of average difficulty. On the other hand, both of my bio courses had really hard profs, and I had to compete with 500+ kids in my class. I remember specifically having trouble with the bio lab practical's....
Let's not bog this down with semantics. Your statement was generally misleading. It's very safe to assume organic chem is going to be monumentally more difficult than intro bio, so let's not be suggesting to people there's a chance they'll cakewalk through their later chem classes.

To the OP, a B will not wreck you or even hurt you. As long as you pull good grades elsewhere, you'll be just fine.

I got a C in Ochem1... accepted :)

what if you get a C in bio 101 though? Is it pointless to retake it for a better grade?

Also, usually people take intro level Bio classes during their first couple semesters of college, when you're still getting used to the whole college thing, so even if OChem is usually harder than intro Bio, I don't think one grade reflects the other. Also the material is completely different. I got a B in my first intro Bio class taken during the first semester of college, and made As in both O-Chems, taken my junior year.

Also, usually people take intro level Bio classes during their first couple semesters of college, when you're still getting used to the whole college thing, so even if OChem is usually harder than intro Bio, I don't think one grade reflects the other. Also the material is completely different. I got a B in my first intro Bio class taken during the first semester of college, and made As in both O-Chems, taken my junior year.

The smart ones take it senior year after theyve already taken everything else so its a friken cake walk and they get to play all day while the baby freshman are sweatin bullets..... mwa ha ha.

is this for real? There are already a million threads up on this exact topic...

Q: oh noes, I didn't get an A, am I ruined???!?!
A: NO, one grade is one small part of one part of your entire application. Move along and work harder next time.

Last edited:
The smart ones take it senior year after theyve already taken everything else so its a friken cake walk and they get to play all day while the baby freshman are sweatin bullets..... mwa ha ha.

Lol, true. But that only works if you're not a bio major : (

I got a B in Ochem I, a B- in Ochem II, and a C in Ochem III. I really hated that class and could not force myself to study. My school obviously didn't seem to care. I guess maybe those grades were balanced out by my majoring in physics and doing well but who knows. As long as you do well in whatever you're doing they won't care.

I got a B in Ochem I, a B- in Ochem II, and a C in Ochem III. I really hated that class and could not force myself to study. My school obviously didn't seem to care. I guess maybe those grades were balanced out by my majoring in physics and doing well but who knows. As long as you do well in whatever you're doing they won't care.

WTF! There's Ochem III?

how-long-till-coconuts.jpg

Organic 1- C
Organic 2- A

Labs- both A's

I am in as an OOS student at a school that doesn't accept many OOS students- its possible!