I was told that med school admissions frown upon anything below an A in O-chem,

alexfoleyc

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status
So, are you screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101? (Since ochem is a harder level class and bio 101 is a basic level class.)

silverhorse84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a B in my basic bio class, and two Bs in ochem.

Calm down!! :oops:

About the Ads

shemarty

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So, are you screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101? (Since ochem is a harder level class and bio 101 is a basic level class.)
No, you are not screwed if you get a "B" in biology 101. There is so much more to your application than the grade you got in one class.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, plenty of people have gotten C's in Organic and are now attending medical school.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
wrong,
got a b in ochem 1
got a b+ in ochem 2

accepted :thumbup:

Don't listen to off hand ******s, get on this forum, read and read and read some more. Then, after you read for the next year as you start to think about med school, YOU'LL soon be the one giving ACCURATE advice to others :thumbup:

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I forgot to mention:

An introductory bio class doesn't necassarily have to be easier tha O'chem.

Greonis

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The OP has created several threads like this as of late. I'm starting to wonder if he/she is simply trolling.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
An introductory bio class doesn't necassarily have to be easier tha O'chem.
Uh...yeah, it does. This is a lot like saying "Intro sociology doesn't necessarily have to be easier than advanced thermodynamics." Sure, there's no official rule that says one class has to be harder than another, but that's just kind of how it is.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The OP has created several threads like this as of late. I'm starting to wonder if he/she is simply trolling.
No. I think he/she is genuine. A lot of people freak out over this type of stuff. It seems like he/she is a freshman who just recieved their first semester grades...I was also nervous after I recieved my first semester grades.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Uh...yeah, it does. This is a lot like saying "Intro sociology doesn't necessarily have to be easier than advanced thermodynamics." Sure, there's no official rule that says one class has to be harder than another, but that's just kind of how it is.
The easiness of any course can not be measured solely by the difficulty of the course-material. The Instructor, class size, etc. can also factor in.

I took Organic II with two introductory bio courses. My Organic II class was not too hard, and the instructor was of average difficulty. On the other hand, both of my bio courses had really hard profs, and I had to compete with 500+ kids in my class. I remember specifically having trouble with the bio lab practical's....

About the Ads

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The easiness of any course can not be measured solely by the difficulty of the course-material. The Instructor, class size, etc. can also factor in.

I took Organic II with two introductory bio courses. My Organic II class was not too hard, and the instructor was of average difficulty. On the other hand, both of my bio courses had really hard profs, and I had to compete with 500+ kids in my class. I remember specifically having trouble with the bio lab practical's....
Let's not bog this down with semantics. Your statement was generally misleading. It's very safe to assume organic chem is going to be monumentally more difficult than intro bio, so let's not be suggesting to people there's a chance they'll cakewalk through their later chem classes.

To the OP, a B will not wreck you or even hurt you. As long as you pull good grades elsewhere, you'll be just fine.

Chemist0157

10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I guess these kinds of threads will keep popping up until everyone sees their fall semester grades...

poiuyt123

10+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
what if you get a C in bio 101 though? Is it pointless to retake it for a better grade?

secret25

10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Earth
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, usually people take intro level Bio classes during their first couple semesters of college, when you're still getting used to the whole college thing, so even if OChem is usually harder than intro Bio, I don't think one grade reflects the other. Also the material is completely different. I got a B in my first intro Bio class taken during the first semester of college, and made As in both O-Chems, taken my junior year.

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Also, usually people take intro level Bio classes during their first couple semesters of college, when you're still getting used to the whole college thing, so even if OChem is usually harder than intro Bio, I don't think one grade reflects the other. Also the material is completely different. I got a B in my first intro Bio class taken during the first semester of college, and made As in both O-Chems, taken my junior year.
The smart ones take it senior year after theyve already taken everything else so its a friken cake walk and they get to play all day while the baby freshman are sweatin bullets..... mwa ha ha.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
The Danger Zone
Status
Attending Physician
is this for real? There are already a million threads up on this exact topic...

Q: oh noes, I didn't get an A, am I ruined???!?!
A: NO, one grade is one small part of one part of your entire application. Move along and work harder next time.

Last edited:

katarina90

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Nevada
Status
Medical Student
The smart ones take it senior year after theyve already taken everything else so its a friken cake walk and they get to play all day while the baby freshman are sweatin bullets..... mwa ha ha.
Lol, true. But that only works if you're not a bio major : (

meister

15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2004
USA
Status
Attending Physician
I got a B in Ochem I, a B- in Ochem II, and a C in Ochem III. I really hated that class and could not force myself to study. My school obviously didn't seem to care. I guess maybe those grades were balanced out by my majoring in physics and doing well but who knows. As long as you do well in whatever you're doing they won't care.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got a B in Ochem I, a B- in Ochem II, and a C in Ochem III. I really hated that class and could not force myself to study. My school obviously didn't seem to care. I guess maybe those grades were balanced out by my majoring in physics and doing well but who knows. As long as you do well in whatever you're doing they won't care.
WTF! There's Ochem III?

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)

justdoit31

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Organic 1- C
Organic 2- A

Labs- both A's

I am in as an OOS student at a school that doesn't accept many OOS students- its possible!

About the Ads