IA Resulting in Expulsion - MD Acceptance Risk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsrunner

Reaction score
Anxiety moment

During my first year at my first undergraduate institute I was put under a conduct investigation, that ended up in my expulsion from the school. The school was fairly conservative, and many of the administrative people I spoke with said my outcome was shocking and could be due to the fact I am gay. I explain the situation thoroughly in my PS, and my essay for the IA itself is relatively strong. I am wondering what additional steps I can take, or what your thoughts on my acceptance chance is.

My record has been exemplary since, pretty average stats (3.72, 509) with pretty good EC and a LoR from someone who helped me through my IA.

edit: I was not kicked out for being gay, I was being harassed by upperclassman purely based on my sexuality, and then I retaliated through a variety of ways, mainly catfishing, and was then turned in for conduct.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're going to have to elaborate more on the details. Were you expelled because you were gay?

Or for something else? Are you can use the confidential Forum if this is too sensitive A matter.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to have to elaborate more on the details. Were you expelled because you were gay?

Or for something else? Are you can use the confidential Forum if this is too sensitive A matter.
No I wasn't kicked out for being gay. I had been harassed for being gay by several upperclassman and then retaliated, thereafter. Also I'm super new to SDN, not sure how to use the confidential forum :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that this is one situation where having be expelled for bad behavior may not hurt you and may actually gain you some support from those who wished they had the cojones to catfish those who tormented them in college. Just show that you have matured and would deal with similar harassment in a more mature manner now than you did then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think that this is one situation where having be expelled for bad behavior may not hurt you and may actually gain you some support from those who wished they had the cajones to catfish those tho tormented them in college. Just show that you have matured and would deal with similar harassment in a more mature manner now than you did then.
I agree with my wise colleague. Good luck, OP!!

Anxiety moment

During my first year at my first undergraduate institute I was put under a conduct investigation, that ended up in my expulsion from the school. The school was fairly conservative, and many of the administrative people I spoke with said my outcome was shocking and could be due to the fact I am gay. I explain the situation thoroughly in my PS, and my essay for the IA itself is relatively strong. I am wondering what additional steps I can take, or what your thoughts on my acceptance chance is.

My record has been exemplary since, pretty average stats (3.72, 509) with pretty good EC and a LoR from someone who helped me through my IA.

edit: I was not kicked out for being gay, I was being harassed by upperclassman purely based on my sexuality, and then I retaliated through a variety of ways, mainly catfishing, and was then turned in for conduct.
Anything else other than catfishing?

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. Catfishing seems sort of a benign transgression. It could lead to harassment if the other party isn't interested. Expulsion seems a tad harsh for that. I suspect there may be more to the story.
Short answer yes. However, many of the additional "rules" I broke that were brought up during my hearing are rules that are never brought up heterosexual students, along with the staff involved taking the word of a student who had already been expelled, for lying, as gospel.

• Care
Short answer yes. However, many of the additional "rules" I broke that were brought up during my hearing are rules that are never brought up heterosexual students, along with the staff involved taking the word of a student who had already been expelled, for lying, as gospel.
My best advice to you, is to carefully tiptoe the line of speaking about how what it was unfair but also taking responsibility. You DID something wrong, and you were punished for it. Accept responsibility, explain why you were challenged and show how you have grown.

Also, im sorry that you faced harassment for who you love. No one should ever have to go through something like that, especially at such a formative moment in life such as college. I wish you the best and I am rooting for you. Happy pride month!

Reactions: 6 users
I see. Politics. Can't do much about that I'm afraid. Schools have their own rules for student promotion and a student doesn't have much in the way due process. Depending on the additional rules transgressions, I think you might find some sympathetic people on the ADCOM. Consider applying to some DO schools too.. Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 1 user