I'd like your input.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conflagration

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into Campbell University's undergraduate program a while ago, but now I'm a little stuck as to what major I should take.

You see, I was initially going to go for the two year non-degree Pre-Pharmacy major that they offer, since up until that point I didn't have any financial aid to alleviate their tuition.

Now, I got their highest scholarship that isn't a free ride, making each semester $4,000 for four years, which is a $52,000 scholarship awarded as $13,000 dollars per year.

I've been tentative as to what I want to do, but this is by far the most certain I've felt about a career choice. To be double-sure, I've been considering roping a friend of mine on a job hunt to take a retail pharmacy technician job(yes, I've heard all the stories that retail is some perversion of an already perverted hellhole, but I'd see if I'd like the basics, not the people who obviously had a bowl of cranky flakes that morning).

Here's where I'm stuck- that's a lot of money saved. Should I go for a BS or should I keep with the Pre-Pharmacy track?

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted into Campbell University's undergraduate program a while ago, but now I'm a little stuck as to what major I should take.

You see, I was initially going to go for the two year non-degree Pre-Pharmacy major that they offer, since up until that point I didn't have any financial aid to alleviate their tuition.

Now, I got their highest scholarship that isn't a free ride, making each semester $4,000 for four years, which is a $52,000 scholarship awarded as $13,000 dollars per year.

I've been tentative as to what I want to do, but this is by far the most certain I've felt about a career choice. To be double-sure, I've been considering roping a friend of mine on a job hunt to take a retail pharmacy technician job(yes, I've heard all the stories that retail is some perversion of an already perverted hellhole, but I'd see if I'd like the basics, not the people who obviously had a bowl of cranky flakes that morning).

Here's where I'm stuck- that's a lot of money saved. Should I go for a BS or should I keep with the Pre-Pharmacy track?

I would get a BS degree. That way even if you decide not to go into pharmacy at the last minuate, you still have other options open for you. If you would like to go into medical science, I would suggest a biochemistry major or a chemistry major as opposed to just a biology major. That is just my thought, I never took any 2 yrs program or know anyone who took a 2 yrs track.

Good Luck

Edit: also i forgot to add, most pharmacy schools require a BS degree. (correct me if im wrong)

Edit: also i forgot to add, most pharmacy schools require a BS degree. (correct me if im wrong)
No, I can't think of any that require a degree unless it's changed in the two years since I was applying.

Honestly OP if you know you want to end up in pharmacy school then go for the two year track. If you are unsure at all then get a BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the correction Notecard. I knew something doesnt sound right. imo, some pharmacy schools favor applicant with bs degree. Also, there are schools that requires a bs degree (ex: ucsd, usc, touro)

Most pre-pharm programs will get you through all of your core classes. Now you have the option of going into either Chem or Bio for a BS. If you are stuck for which you would like to take then go talk to some of the professors around your campus. They can help give you insight on which one would best suit you. Just as a side note though, Chem will require you to take Calc 2 and Calc based physics. If you are bad at math then that might not be the best path for you. Also getting a BS in either will be a huge boost to your pharmacy school chances as they like people to have degrees (not req. to get in though). Also you will do a lot of upper level courses so they can see how you handle the more difficult classes.

As for work experience then getting any job in a pharmacy setting will do. Typically getting a job in a retail setting is a lot easier then getting on at a hospital pharmacy. Mostly due to the larger demand for techs in retail.

I think I'm going to try for a Biochemistry degree, then I can use my electives for a Spanish minor, which would be helpful in any medical career.

I needed to ask since I make my schedule in early July, but I don't want to go there not knowing what I want.

I'm still roping my friend into us working retail and trying to get a pharmacy tech job. xD

No, I can't think of any that require a degree unless it's changed in the two years since I was applying.

Honestly OP if you know you want to end up in pharmacy school then go for the two year track. If you are unsure at all then get a BS.

Incorrect. Ohio state requires a degree before matriculation. Every OSU PharmD has 8 years minimum :idea:

Incorrect. Ohio state requires a degree before matriculation. Every OSU PharmD has 8 years minimum :idea:
That sounds awful lol:thumbdown:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but if you're positive you want to go to pharmacy school then getting a BS seems like a bit of a waste of time unless you want to do research or something. Goodluck with whatever you decide OP.

Have you even started school yet? Unless your scholarship requires you declare a major/program I don't see what the rush is. I don't know the programs at Campbell, but I'd imagine the first two years of a Biochem B.S. and Pre-pharmacy should have lots of overlap class-wise.

My advice? Get that job and see how you like pharmacy.

That sounds awful lol:thumbdown:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but if you're positive you want to go to pharmacy school then getting a BS seems like a bit of a waste of time unless you want to do research or something. Goodluck with whatever you decide OP.

Maybe, but why do MD programs require a bachelor's degree pretty much across the board? Most people at my school (~90%) do have a bachelor's degree in something. I have one; I've never regretted getting it.