Ideal LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oslersghost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For all of you who are experienced at this what makes a GREAT LOR for ANesthesia. I am running into the dilemma of having to draft my own outline for a writer who is pretty open. So far I have the following:

1. Works well with all OR staff
2. Good H&P skills
3. Fundamental knowledge of pharm and physio
4. Steady handle on procedural techniques
5. exemplified Good pre-peri and post operative care
6. Sense of humor?
7. Curious?

what else? What is ideal?
I think this would be helpful for those trying to shine during their rotataions too.

I guess for thse who are done with the match......I am asking WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE WANTED ON YOUR LETTER!?

Thanks folks

G-luck
:D

Members don't see this ad.

Oslersghost said:
Hey guys,

For all of you who are experienced at this what makes a GREAT LOR for ANesthesia. I am running into the dilemma of having to draft my own outline for a writer who is pretty open. So far I have the following:

1. Works well with all OR staff
2. Good H&P skills
3. Fundamental knowledge of pharm and physio
4. Steady handle on procedural techniques
5. exemplified Good pre-peri and post operative care
6. Sense of humor?
7. Curious?

what else? What is ideal?
I think this would be helpful for those trying to shine during their rotataions too.

I guess for thse who are done with the match......I am asking WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE WANTED ON YOUR LETTER!?

Thanks folks

G-luck
:D

let's see....

- calm under pressure
- team player
- good dexterity
- great knowledge base
- easy to get along with

this is assuming that you really are all of these things :laugh:

Many or most of us never see the letters written about us on our behalf, as we waive our rights to see them. I did get a peak at one of mine when I was handed my file and left sitting around waiting for the next interviewer at one of my interview days. (Haha, I wasn't particularly impressed with them and didn't end up ranking them!) Anyway, the letter that many interviewers commented was great said, in brief outline:

Dear residency director:

I am writing to recommend jennyboo to you as an outstanding / excellent / etc candidate for ________.

"I worked closely with jennyboo on a daily basis for an one month during her ________ elective / rotation...."

Tells exactly how well they knew me and provides quantification for amount of time spent together.

".... During that month, jennyboo steadily improved upon her knowledge of _______ and showed a strong curiosity about _______. She asked excellent questions and was motivated to read about topics independently."

Shows that student has capacity to learn and acquire new knowledge. Note that it did not mention having a strong knowledge base of physiology or pharmacology, etc going into the rotation. You still start out knowing nothing, and they will always know more than you, so there was no need to comment on the student's impressive, astonishing, breathtaking knowledge base.

"The best thing about jennyboo is her personality. I found her to be honest, kind to everyone, pleasant to work with and highly considerate of others. She has never been arrogant. etc etc etc"

Describes personality. This section was very simple and didn't go into anything about student's bottomless concern for patients, etc etc.

"I have worked with many students over the years. Jennyboo is in the top __% of students I have worked with."

Quantifies exactly what tier of student the writer believes the student is. Mine said "top third" or top 30% or something like that.

Therefore, I highly recommend this outstanding / excellent student to you.

After that, it wraps up.

btw.... I think having to write your own letter is not as good a deal as it seems. There is no way I'd have been able to write as good a letter as someone who's already seen a lot of them and knows what's good. It makes me wonder whether someone who asks you to write your own letter really knows how to write a good letter him(her)self.