Ideas/Thoughts on my reapplication for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilcielo

MCAT?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was really hoping this summer that I would get off two waitlists and wouldn't have to make one of these threads-but here it goes. I'm taking a year off to do a master's program in biochemistry, so I'll be reapplying this summer (!).

Old stats (4 interviews, applied to tons of places, 2 wls, no acceptances :( )
3.5 GPA overall
3.3-3.2 GPA science
32 MCAT that was balanced 10-10-12
Tons of ECs (2 years at hospital ED/ENT clinic with tons of patient contact, 2 years at a clinic for the poor in my hometown, shadowing, etc)

My weaknesses: definitely the GPA thing in particular the science GPA, I thought maybe the adcoms weren't convinced I could handle the rigors of medschool science?? I got a C+ in an upper level science senior year which could have hurt and I think might still hurt my changes, don't know.

Potentially interview skills-- I didn't really feel like any of the interviews went well necessarily, but I could have been being hard on myself or whatever.

My POA- Taking at least 30 hours of upper level sciences to pull the science GPA up and get the masters degree (completed in 2011), doing extensive biochem research possibly with publications this summer, keeping on volunteering at the clinic for the poor in my hometown like 15-20 hours a week this summer (This will be my fourth year there I think). Oh, and I am trying to scheme about mock interviews which I have heard are useful.

So far I have a 4.0 in my 10 hours this semester which has been taxing.

Any suggestions/ success stories/ thoughts?

Thanks and GOOD LUCK to all next cycle:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should be fine. Just make sure to apply as early as possible and turn your secondaries around quickly (I'm sure you've heard this a million times). I was in the same boat as you last time I applied. However, I went the post-bacc route instead of an SMP (I don't think it really makes that big of a difference). Just get all A's in your course work this year and keep up with your ECs, and you should be fine!

If you were only waiting on 2 WLs and didn't get in, I'm not 100% sure it's your interviewing schools that need work (if you had said 7 or something, then yes). If you feel comfortable sharing, how many schools did you interview at?

I had four interviews, but didn't end up going to one of them because of money issues--- 2 of my state schools, Tufts, and Tulane.

Oh, yeah and I'm definitely getting those primaries and secondaries in ASAP this time. I got them in fairly early last time, but this time I want to shoot for as early as possible, haha.

Oh another thing, the degree I'm shooting for is an actually M.S. and not an SMP. I have heard some people here kind of favor the SMP or even more undergraduate classes over an MS. I was kind of wondering about that, I thought the MS might put my in a different pile during the admissions process and make me stand out more???

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had four interviews, but didn't end up going to one of them because of money issues--- 2 of my state schools, Tufts, and Tulane.

Oh, yeah and I'm definitely getting those primaries and secondaries in ASAP this time. I got them in fairly early last time, but this time I want to shoot for as early as possible, haha.

Oh another thing, the degree I'm shooting for is an actually M.S. and not an SMP. I have heard some people here kind of favor the SMP or even more undergraduate classes over an MS. I was kind of wondering about that, I thought the MS might put my in a different pile during the admissions process and make me stand out more???

the problem with the m.s. degree (i have one) is that on amcas it's in its own category, so it does not get averaged into our ugrad gpa....basically our low sgpas are still seen loud and clear on our apps, and we just have to hope that the adcoms see how much we have improved to show we can handle med school....best of luck to you!

the problem with the m.s. degree (i have one) is that on amcas it's in its own category, so it does not get averaged into our ugrad gpa....basically our low sgpas are still seen loud and clear on our apps, and we just have to hope that the adcoms see how much we have improved to show we can handle med school....best of luck to you!

Oh, thanks for the reply. I hadn't realized that about the separate category which is too bad especially considering that my grad school experience has been much, much harder academically than my undergrad one.

I am in a similar situation. Good GPA, poor MCAT. I started a masters program in May to validate my strengths and show that I can handle the workload and I've done well thus far, so hopefully it pays off soon!! Even though the MS isn't averaged into to GPA, they do see your transcript. All they want to know is that you can handle the material of a graduate level curriculum.