If holding multiple acceptances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When did you/ will you select just one school?

• Before May 1

Votes: 38 21.1%
  • May 1 - May 7

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • May 8 - May 15

Votes: 108 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I propose that for now on all posts throughout SDN must refer to cows instead of med schools and use the associated analogies when asking questions. GPA can be referred to as barns, MCAT as acres of land, clinical experience as farm hands, and research experience as farm equipment.

Is it better to have 4 barns and only 32 acres of land or 3.8 barns and 34 acres of land, as in which earns more cows? And what about top 20 cows?

Members don't see this ad.

I propose that for now on all posts throughout SDN must refer to cows instead of med schools and use the associated analogies when asking questions. GPA can be referred to as barns, MCAT as acres of land, clinical experience as farm hands, and research experience as farm equipment.

Is it better to have 4 barns and only 32 acres of land or 3.8 barns and 34 acres of land, as in which earns more cows? And what about top 20 cows?
haha awesome...im going to do it:p

haha awesome...im going to do it:p

3.8 barns and 34 acres of land. Although, my friend with 4.0 barns and 32 acres of land is currently a Harvard MS1.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is simply not true. Another "seat" is not opened up - all med schools over commit - they do not replace each rescinded offer with another waitlist offer the next day.

It is true for at least one school, University of Arizona College of Medicine does it this way. I'm not sure about the rest.

Last edited:
It is true for at least one school, University of Arizona College of Medicine does it this way. I'm not sure about the rest.

Most DO NOT. You have to realize it's advantageous for each school to wait until May 15th. They don't want to give an acceptance to a waitlisted candidate who's no longer really interested in going. Many students will commit to a school by May 15th and also withdraw their waitlist positions. By waiting, each school can better gauge which students are actually still interested in attending by allowing ample time for waitlisted candidates to also withdraw. You're forgetting this.

This is akin to the method that many schools employ in waitlisting top candidates because of the likelihood they'll attend another school . They do this, because they expect these students will likely withdraw themselves. They'd rather they withdraw as a waitlisted student, then an accepted one. Suppose that student is accepted at Harvard, but still wants to go to...say USC-Keck. Now it's easy for the school to accept them, because they know their interest is genuine.

Get my point?

This whole process is a game...mainly on part of the adcoms. I don't feel bad about playing it myself too.

BTW, I officially withdrew my last remaining acceptance offer today. So, I'm 100% going to Sinai if no waitlists move.

Yea but you are not required to withdraw from waitlists on May 15th. So how do you know they aren't just holding onto those with no interest.

Yea but you are not required to withdraw from waitlists on May 15th. So how do you know they aren't just holding onto those with no interest.

They don't...but the longer they wait...the more likely it is that waitlisted students not interested will withdraw. In other words, point being....schools are sitting with empty spots for longer (until May 15th) for their own, self-serving reasons as well.

Most DO NOT. You have to realize it's advantageous for each school to wait until May 15th. They don't want to give an acceptance to a waitlisted candidate who's no longer really interested in going. Many students will commit to a school by May 15th and also withdraw their waitlist positions. By waiting, each school can better gauge which students are actually still interested in attending by allowing ample time for waitlisted candidates to also withdraw. You're forgetting this.

This is akin to the method that many schools employ in waitlisting top candidates because of the likelihood they'll attend another school . They do this, because they expect these students will likely withdraw themselves. They'd rather they withdraw as a waitlisted student, then an accepted one. Suppose that student is accepted at Harvard, but still wants to go to...say USC-Keck. Now it's easy for the school to accept them, because they know their interest is genuine.

Get my point?

This whole process is a game...mainly on part of the adcoms. I don't feel bad about playing it myself too.

BTW, I officially withdrew my last remaining acceptance offer today. So, I'm 100% going to Sinai if no waitlists move.

Congrats! I'm guessing the second look went well...

Congrats! I'm guessing the second look went well...

Yeah... Sinai revisit was great and I know I'll be happy there. I'm still keeping my name on other waitlists (Stanford, Penn, and Cornell) because I'm pretty sure I would strongly consider going to those schools, especially if financial aid works out better. I'm a little less keen on Cornell, but I definitely would consider it. So, I felt no need to withdraw at Cornell, but l don't plan on writing any more letters there. Alternatively, I have let Stanford and Penn know I'm still strongly interested.

Realistically, I still think Penn is my first choice, but I feel better that I'll be happy regardless if things work out with waitlists.

I withdrew from a school but have yet to receive confirmation? I know that Temple took a while, but I'm worried about turn over time from when you email til when they realize?

I withdrew from a school but have yet to receive confirmation? I know that Temple took a while, but I'm worried about turn over time from when you email til when they realize?

It's out of your hands at this point, you did all you could do. Temple was pretty prompt with me though, got back the next day. Got some mullah on my credit card the next week. I think the one plus of withdrawing is you do get your $100 deposits back. I'm going for a nice dinner this evening to celebrate some of my newfound wealth :)

You can always call to let them know you sent an email withdrawal or to double check that they received it.

Thanks for the advice. I finally got a confirmation from the pending places (ironically about 20 min after I asked this question), though I am hoping when I make my final choice between two schools if done on the 14th it still registers in time? I assume that's what everyone is doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I finally got a confirmation from the pending places (ironically about 20 min after I asked this question), though I am hoping when I make my final choice between two schools if done on the 14th it still registers in time? I assume that's what everyone is doing?

It will be fine. If you want to cover your ass (although I don't think you really need to do this), when you do decide between your two schools and if you haven't received a confirmation, e-mail the school you're attending and tell them you decided on that school and dropped out of the others but haven't received confirmation from them yet and you don't want to be penalized. Probably completely unnecessary, but you can do it if you get scared.

It will be fine. If you want to cover your ass (although I don't think you really need to do this), when you do decide between your two schools and if you haven't received a confirmation, e-mail the school you're attending and tell them you decided on that school and dropped out of the others but haven't received confirmation from them yet and you don't want to be penalized. Probably completely unnecessary, but you can do it if you get scared.

Even then, I think the "penalization" is more a phone call along the lines of "So what's going on? You need to pick one and you need to do it now. We have to know or we can't hold your spot any longer."

Even then, I think the "penalization" is more a phone call along the lines of "So what's going on? You need to pick one and you need to do it now. We have to know or we can't hold your spot any longer."

Most likely yeah, but it's not worth risking to find out exactly what it is :p

Most likely yeah, but it's not worth risking to find out exactly what it is :p

I might actually need to wait until the last minute...I've been holding out for financial aid information this week, but have no idea when it will come through. I hope I don't need to decide before I see the financial package.

So would you guys say the last second we have to withdraw is 12am Friday night?

So would you guys say the last second we have to withdraw is 12am Friday night?

I don't think it is that dire.

If you have some reason to go past the deadline, you should be in contact with your schools, explaining the reason, the most legit being financial aid packages. I have never heard of anyone being dropped automatically by a school for missing the May 15 deadline; you may have to explain yourself, but I highly doubt if it is an automatic thing.

As for me, I'm still holding 6 acceptances. Withdrew from 2 today. It's harder than it seems to make a final choice with all these factors.

Amen to that. I knew it would be tough, but did not expect it to be this difficult to pick. Finals have definitely taken a back seat to picking a school at this point.

Hey guys...just wanted to say that please withdraw as promptly as you can so that us on the waitlist aren't having like anxiety attacks everyday as May 15 approach and well into the summer...

You really will make someone's day by withdrawing! I wish I had the problem of not knowing where to go :laugh: It's probably not a real problem at all. So you know please don't hold on to anything you feel that you won't go anyways so us poor suckers can have a chance sooner :thumbup:

The rules are whatever individual medical schools require before your offer is rescinded. Those are AMCAS guidelines. I'm not sure what your point is.

Yes and all schools that use the AMCAS application ascribe to their rules. Again just because there isn't any possible punishment (ie: rescinded offers) doesn't mean it's not against the rules. Does anyone force you to follow their rules, no; but is it wrong not to, yes.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Yes and all schools that use the AMCAS application ascribe to their rules. Again just because there isn't any possible punishment (ie: rescinded offers) doesn't mean it's not against the rules. Does anyone force you to follow their rules, no; but is it wrong not to, yes.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

You're confused by the relationship between AMCAS and individual medical schools. You're also failing to understand the difference between rules and guidelines--you keep saying rules and linking to suggestions. It doesn't matter because the whole thing is trivial. You'll find out if you've been accepted or not at some point.

You're confused by the relationship between AMCAS and individual medical schools. You're also failing to understand the difference between rules and guidelines--you keep saying rules and linking to suggestions. It doesn't matter because the whole thing is trivial. You'll find out if you've been accepted or not at some point.

In your earlier post, you referred to "rules." What exactly are the "rules" you are talking about?

If we are confused, can you kindly clear it up for all of us?

Individual schools have their own rules for how they deal with applicants. One AMCAS suggestion is that schools not notify accepted applicants until October 16th, but EVMS will tell early interviewees their acceptances over the phone as early as mid-September. AMCAS suggests that deposits not exceed $100, but I believe that Tulane has a $400-500 deposit. The schools decide what you should do and when you should do it. If schools don't require you to drop acceptances as early as AMCAS suggests, then you can do what you want.

The point is that there are no overriding rules for the application process other than what the schools you're accepted to require. People on waitlists are motivated by self-interest to make it appear as though people have to withdraw ASAP, but it isn't true.

Most schools are ~$100 deposit within 2 weeks of an acceptance. Some schools, Tulane for instance, are much larger (i.e. $500), but are only required once you decide that's your final chose. Personally, me and my wallet preferred the latter...

I'd say the turnaround time from emailing your withdraw and receipt of your deposit is about 2 weeks. Some schools simply don't acknowledge receipt of your withdraw and you find a nice surprise in your mailbox one afternoon...

I'm not confused at all about it, AMCAS is the system set up for med school admissions, and as such:
"Two significant responsibilities of the AAMC are to promote integrity in the processes associated with entry into medical school or a graduate medical education program, and to encourage high standards during the course of enrollment. These policies and procedures have been developed to advance this purpose by addressing cases which arise in the application process while ensuring the rights of all concerned parties."

So: Yes the schools and students are supposed to follow AMCAS guidelines. Do they: not always. Is there any real reason to follow them (ie: punishment for not doing so): no. But they are the rules guiding the system, so if you are asking: am I supposed to withdraw asap, the answer is yes. If you are asking do I have to withdraw asap- no.

Withdrew today without seeing financial info...good luck to all.

Just withdrew from 3 schools today, hope all goes well for those holding out on the waitlists.

Just withdrew from 3 schools today, hope all goes well for those holding out on the waitlists.

Yay! I'm still on 3 waitlists...so I'm holding out hope on the rule "3 waitlists=1 acceptance".

Withdrew everywhere this past week. So I hopefully opened up spots for 7 people. Hoping the karma comes back to me.

My guess is you'd get a notice from AMCAS telling you to pick a school.

...and lose your deposit at schools that you did not withdrew from and will not be attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.