Wayne state or MSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myhair

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in a bit of a pickle. Was just accepted into 2 medical schools. Both great with different styles of education but I feel that I would be fine in either. The total cost of attendance to both schools is similar at ~$53,000.

Wayne state :
Pros
  • offering me $14,000/year in scholarship money that they told me was renewable as long as I made satisfactory progress on my MD journey. If i did the math right, would save me about (~$80,000, loan and interest combined) when compared.
  • Great clinical opportunities.
  • Large class, lots of organizations to choose from to join.
Cons
  • Would have to move to a new city about 2 hours away from my current place. Girlfriend(3 years) would either have to move with me or it becomes a long distance relationship.
  • Atmosphere does seem a bit more cut throat.
  • Larger school, might be harder to stand out.
MSU CHM:
Pros
  • Great curriculum
  • Doesn't seem cut throat
  • Girlfriend does not have to move and she could keep her job, we could keep living together.

Cons
  • usual loans (Stafford/Direct(~$40,000) & Grad Plus(~$13,000)).
  • Seems a bit more geared toward primary care
Before I got the financial aid packages, I was a bit more leaning towards a MSU, but now I am not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want your significant other to be happy, or more $ in your pocket in the long run? Do you expect it to be a serious long-term relationship? You're gonna have hard time as it is during the next century of your life, and your S/O will potentially be along for the ride. As someone who is also taking their S/O for this adventure, I would say you should set yourself up to so that you and your S/O can succeed. I pick my battles, some are important for career opportunities but others I give up because I enjoy convenience, happiness, and being close to my loved one. I hope this attitude will make the move for Residency and jobs a lot easier in the future.

How will her moving impact finances (temporary or long-term loss of wage, etc.) and does this make the $80k less appealing? How will this impact access or distance to family for both of you?

I hesitate to say that your pros/cons list (aside from the financial points) sounds a bit like you're trying hard to separate the two schools into different categories? I think it will be hard to 'stand out' at ANY medical school. After all, you're competing with the smartest students from all around the nation. What school doesn't have great clinical opportunities or a vast selection of student organizations? Still, I wouldn't make my choice just because School B has club X... I would be more inclined to choose 'pros' like: feeling more comfortable there, enjoying the city/area/region, positive professor and student interactions, etc, etc.

Consider happiness above all. Do what makes sense for you. It doesn't have to be the route that looks better on paper.