If I can get in to M.D. school then anyone can !!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntGod22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey this story is for all those people who were like me last year wondering and worrying about there situation.

I just got accepted to drexel and will be going there this august. I had originally planned on going to a osteopathic school which I got into 3 schools. I went to undergrad for 6 years. Worked hard since I had to change majors in my junior year. I had a 3.32 GPA but when amcas calculates it do to taking classes over I have like a 3.1. I took the mcats 2 times, the first time i got a 20 and the third time I got a 8,8,10 for a 26. I know these scores arent great but I did do volunteer service and I did have 4 letters of recommendation from doctors and school support staff. I also had 3 letters from my science faculty. I just wanted to write and say dont give up you can do it. It takes time and patience but god answers everybodys prayers in some way. Good luck to you all and if you have any questions about applications or secondaries or osteopathic schools feel free to email me at [email protected].

woohooo Im going to med school !!! I cant believe it !!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

congrats antgod :clap: :clap: :clap: and best of luck in med school. :)

Awesome job and congratulations. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey congratulations AntGod!

If you dont mind I'd like to share my experience as well...here are my stats: I took the MCAT 3 times ... 22, 24, 25..with a Q all three times on writing sample...best set total was a 26(if u take all the best scores in each section and add them..which most med schools use to filter applicants..except Loyola here in chicago..which averages your MCAT scores)...My GPA: science = 2.75, overall = 3.06 ....I went to 4 different schools where I had to get 4 sets of transcripts...I finally graduated with a psychology degree with a bio minor...my personal statement was solid and I got 4 additional letters of recommendation in addition to my committee letters(from science and non-science professors). Experiences I think really compensated, with a mission trip to Bolivia and many other clinical experiences and jobs ranging from working at Structure to pharmacy tech. I went to undergrad for five-years because of my earlier probationary statuses at earlier undergrad schools and I was asked to leave due to unsuccessful progress towards academic progress(this was all due to family problems and issues with health with my parents)...but all this was well explained in my personal statement. I ended up graduating from school with a 3.75 gpa..but unfortunately AMCAS doesn't help as it re-calculated overall to be a 3.06. Nonetheless, my point being I was offered interviews at UIC, Finch, Drexel....was accepted and turned them down to go to NSUCOM(DO School) based on the facilities, rotations and opportunities in Florida!!! Hope this gives hope to anyone applying...good luck and choose the school that you feel is the best fit for you and dont base it on the initials after your name!!!
:clap:

Mani

Congrats Antgod!

I was basically in the same situation as you...got into 2 osteopathic schools, put a deposit down on PCOM, but just was accepted yesterday to NYMC!!! I'm so excited!

Are any of your people URMs? I'm sorry, but it DOES matter. Otherwise you are just giving false hope to someone. Either way I congratulate all of you - but in the interest of giving out fair advice and support, I think you should state whether or not you are a URM. Because if you got a 26 and a low GPA and then got in and you are not URM, well then that is a great success, but if you are a URM, then all bets are off. Thats just the system.

Hey Texas Guy, quick question. What makes someone qualified for med school?

Hey texasguy,
I don't mean to sound ignorant (I'm new to the forum thing), but what's a URM?

Originally posted by smck27
Hey texasguy,
I don't mean to sound ignorant (I'm new to the forum thing), but what's a URM?

URM=Under Represented Minority

texasguy, must you always bring storm clouds where there is sunshine ? Get an analyst.

yeah im part URM, which im sure did help me in getting me my five M.D. school interviews at StonyBrook, Buffalo, Robert wood johnson, UMDNJ-Newark, and drexel. But I also got waitlisted at all of them except drexel which is a private school, and I was accepted. I also got into 3 D.O. schools and interviewed at almost everyone I applied to which was 6.
I bet if my grades were higher and my mcat above 30 that I could of got into any school I wanted. But they werent and I am very happy with my situation now, or what it would of been going to PCOM.

I think anyone can do this, im only a quarter native american if that counts for jack !!

Ok listen - I don't need an analyst, and I'm not a racist. All I'm saying is that if someone comes on SDN and gives this long involved story about being put on academic probation, getting a 23,24,25 on their MCAT, having a below 3.0 science GPA, and then they get into a few MD schools - well that just doesn't add up for me. And many people come to SDN to look for sound advice about their own situations. Telling someone a story like the one referenced above is great - but you should please provide the TOTAL circumstances rather than just spouting out your numbers and leaving out whether or not you are a URM. The fact is it DOES matter if you are a URM - I'm not saying its right or its wrong, but it does matter. A URM with a 26, 2.9 Sci GPA has a MUCH BETTER CHANCE than a white with a 26, 2.9 Sci GPA. Those are just the facts, love them or not.

If someone comes on SDN and says "HEY EVERYONE DON"T WORRY, I GOT INTO MED SCHOOL WITH A 26 AND BELOW 3.0 SCI GPA! YOU CAN DO IT TOO!" and then they leave out the fact that their Mom or Dad is the Dean of Admissions, then that isn't fair either.

And for whoever asked me what it takes to be qualified to get into med school: I would say this

If you are white/asian: you most likely need above 30 on your MCAT (though exceptions occur), above 3.4 GPA (though exceptions occur), volunteer experience, extracurrics, good LORs, etc.

If you are black/hispanic: you most likely need above 25 on your MCAT, above 2.9 GPA, volunteer experience, extracurrics, good LORs, etc.

Those are just the facts everyone, don't hate the player. Call the Supreme Court if you disagree.

this is ridiculous, as there are sufficient " Affirmative Action ! " and
" Down With Affirmative Action " threads on this site. To my knowledge, none of us currently sits on an admissions commitee, so ..........outside of rhetoric spewed from other pre-meds, how do any of us know for certain what qualifies one candidate over another ? Let the guy ( antgod ) bask in his success........I did not call you a racist, although the posts I've seen authored by you do imply some sort of bitterness. Everyone is not going to get into medical school, it's just the hard truth ....

Members don't see this ad :)
Well put, divinemsm! :clap: And let me guess, TexasGuy41, you're not racist because you have black friends, right? :rolleyes:

Ok look - I'm not trying to bring him down. He's in school, I congratulate him. All I'm saying is there is a reason that a site like MDApplicants lets you search by ethnic background. If you are a white, you don't go on their and look at the stats of blacks that got in, and then say "Oh wow, I've got a great shot." Likewise if you are black, you don't go on there and look at what all the whites got. Its got absolutely nothing to do with racism. I was just trying to point out to some of the people browsing this forum that there might be more to the equation than simply a low MCAT, low GPA, and a lot of good luck.

I don't think its unfair that he got in, I'm sure he'll make a great doc. You people are so quick to pull the race card. For the last time, if I absolutely HATE the preferential treatment that URMs get in the med school application process, that doesn't mean a SINGLE THING about me being racist. It doesn't even mean I'm necessarily white for making those statements. One can be vehemently anti-AA and still be a normal, completely non racist person. I argue about AA with my black friends all the time, its just a discussion - we're still boys afterwards.

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
All I'm saying is there is a reason that a site like MDApplicants lets you search by ethnic background. If you are a white, you don't go on their and look at the stats of blacks that got in, and then say "Oh wow, I've got a great shot." Likewise if you are black, you don't go on there and look at what all the whites got. Its got absolutely nothing to do with racism.

You people are so quick to pull the race card. For the last time, if I absolutely HATE the preferential treatment that URMs get in the med school application process, that doesn't mean a SINGLE THING about me being racist.
Sorry, but I'm not completely sold on you not being a racist. "You people" is a classic racist line (but I'm sure you already knew that, right). BTW, when I look at MDapplicants.com, I look at all races (not just black), so you're wrong there. :p "You people" (meaning borderline WHITE applicants) always bring up AA when you don't get into the undergraduate institution, med school, or position of power of your choice. Boo f-ing hoo. Maybe if you focused all your negative anti-AA energy on something you can ACTUALLY control (like your own damn credentials), then you wouldn't worry about what others are doing (and wouldn't come off as being a total ass).

Okay, TexasGuy is getting pummeled, and I want to come to his defence...

I am a TA for a tutoring program at my university. This program is for EOF students and URMs who are interested in med school/grad school in sciences. If you are a URM, and you have a 3.0 by the end of your sophmore year, then you are almost automatically accepted (after a brief interview) into a program with an affiliated medical school. This program allows you to take medical school classes while you're in college, and if you get at least average on them (pass), then you can matriculate in the fall. What about the MCAT? They still have to take it, but as long as they get at least a 24, they're okay.

Furthermore, I work with the professor who does academic advising for URMs applying to medical school. His advise: with a 24, you will definetly get in, and with a 28+ you can get a scholarship. He knows what he's talking about - he's been doing this for over 10 years.

So, what's my point? URMs DO have a distinct advantage. Even though my gpa is well above a 3.0, I wasn't eligible for that program, and a 28 MCAT would get me praying for entrance into any school - it certainly wouldn't get me a scholarship to one. Aknowledging this fact is not being racist - it's being realistic. Personally, I think that the advantage given to URMs is a bit too great, but then again, I do think that a disadvantaged (economically) status should be considered during applications. The only thing that annoys me is when well-to-do URMs get a big bump in the process, because I don't feel that they have been at any sort of disadvantage.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now :rolleyes:

- Quid

LOL... wow, lots of typos in my previous post.... i'm sure i'll get criticized for that now... oops :)

yeah, well, no one's ever happy right ? I'm not gonna go into an extended discourse on this whole URM/disadvantaged classification, as it will just fuel further impassioned replies on what was supposed to be a congratulatory thread. I won't bother pointing out the obstacles I individually faced getting where I want to be, because THAT"S WHAT THEY ARE : individual.
What happened at Rutgers ( read your profile ) did not happen at UPenn, UT, or where ever. These generalizations you point out cannot be examined in discrete form...there are a myriad of other aspects YOU DON"T KNOW ABOUT. PERIOD. Every black/mexican/puerto rican/native american does not get into medical school,and we are certainly not responsible for " Taking " the class spots of the so-called non-urms. Talk to your census counterparts if you are so upset. CONGRATULATIONS ANTGOD:)

Originally posted by quideam
Okay, TexasGuy is getting pummeled, and I want to come to his defence...
The only thing that annoys me is when well-to-do URMs get a big bump in the process, because I don't feel that they have been at any sort of disadvantage.
Well, if you've read any of TexasGuy's posts on other threads, you'd see he's coming off as being an ass (remember "Rallying my fellow whities"?). Yeah...well-to-do URMs are the only ones who truly benefit from AA (think about it). They can apply to more schools and afford to take MCAT prep classes without experiencing a major dent to their pocketbooks. But, on top of that, they can score lower than white/asian applicants and still get in. As a URM who is not well-to-do, I can see why this would piss alot of people off (except for well-to-do whites, who essentially have the same advantage). However, med schools don't look at how much money one URM has in comparison to another URM...they look at the fact that either one would increase the number of minority physicians practicing in the US. It might not be fair to you, but life's not fair. At least people don't insult your intelligence based on your skin color. Try being me for a day. :mad:

Congratulations, AntGod! :clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg6b2002a.htm

This table speaks for itself.....

The average white guy getting accepted to med school has a gpa of 3.65 and an mcat of 30.

The average black guy has a gpa of 3.35 and a 24.5 on the mcat.

Now i dont know what that means and whether its sright or wrong for it to happen....blah blah blah......

But like texas said.....it is the reality of the medical admission proccess, as reported by the Gods of the proccess, the AAMC.

To be a white guy thinking you are "average" with a 25 and a 3.35 is unfortunate....you are wasting alot of time and money...And shame on anyone for trying to suppress the truth by playing the race card. Peoples futures are at stake and that is far more important that some tired old debate that, wrong or right, does NOT change those numbers. They are not negotiable or debatable.

Wow...this thread has certainly turned sour. Let me clarify my situation for all those who need me to state my race, etc....

I am NOT a URM. I was NOT raised in a financially challenging environment. NONE of my parents or relatives are on admissions committees nor are they affiliated with any of the medical schools I got acceptances to. None of my letters of recommendations were written by relatives. My major strongpoint, in all honesty, was my personal statement and my extracurricular/activities and clinical experiences...oh and I am NOT a non-traditional applicant(22 yrs old).

My story is DEFINITE proof that you don't have to be a URM to get in with below average numbers. But that doesnt mean that you can get in with just those numbers....there are OTHER factors in your application that medical schools place emphasis on if you are lacking in numbers....clinical experiences, leadership positions, jobs, other out-of-school involvements that might've taken hours away from just studying and getting a 4.0 through all your four years. So please, my story is just as good as the rest of my application was...which included MUCH clinical experiences, a medical mission trip to bolivia, leadership(pres. and vice pres. of various school and cultural organizations as well as intramural sports clubs), research(in psychology), and various awards and publications. Sorry if I had misled anyone, hopefully this clarifies things better.

Good luck again...and let's just all wish this year's applicants luck! :)

Mani

Sorry, but I'm not completely sold on you not being a racist. "You people" is a classic racist line (but I'm sure you already knew that, right).

Just because someone brings up a point that is not necessarily untrue doesn't make them a racist. Do you know this person well enough to be unequivically sure that they are a racist?

Texas Guy's use of "you people" does not prove your case. Many people use "you people" when referring to a group that shares an opinion. I use the that term all of the time. It is slang, it is not a term owned by racists.

You people" (meaning borderline WHITE applicants) always bring up AA when you don't get into the undergraduate institution, med school, or position of power of your choice. Boo f-ing hoo. Maybe if you focused all your negative anti-AA energy on something you can ACTUALLY control (like your own damn credentials), then you wouldn't worry about what others are doing (and wouldn't come off as being a total ass).

Even though Texas guy's original statement was not a bitchfest against AA, you apparently thought it was. He merely brought up a point that two applicants of different colors are not initially viewed as being equals in the numbers game. However, you seemed to find that it was quite important to tear him up as being a racist (which seems to be derived from the idea that if someone doesn't support AA, then they are racist). I really don't think that is appropriate. Additionally, there are plenty of people of all different colors who disagree with the premises and administration of AA. From your post, one would have to assume that only borderline WHITE applicants are against AA (honestly, that is really insulting).

I have no desire to debate AA with anyone on this forum. I've been a member for awhile, and thus, I've been there and done that. I couldn't help myself from replying to this poster's reply since I find it so insulting.

P.S. congrats to AntGod and all of those who got in this year!

While I don't often agree with what TexasGuy says on SDN, he does make a valid point in this thread. The admissions standards are different and race DOES matter in admissions.

My only criticism, is that TexasGuy only focuses on URMs.

Texasguy, why don't you ask if the OP is asian -- and point out that that would make for an even greater success story, considering avg stats for asians are higher than other racial groups.
If you're going include race in your discussion, realize that the door swing two ways. Seems like you lose some objectivity when it comes to URMs.

In your defense, I cringe everytime someone is quick to call you a racist. But at the same time, you definitely aren't completely objective on the issue of AA, bro.

I guess I didnt mention that I found a cure for aids before. Thats what really helped me to get in, no seriously, I know being a URM helped me out but you know what I had atleast 13 schools take my money and run after I applied and then sent in secondarys. Id also like to think that it had to do with my diverse background in sports, religion, research, previous jobs, acting experience, club leadership and the way I do outstanding in interviews.

Originally posted by AntGod22
I know being a URM helped me out but you know what I had atleast 13 schools take my money and run after I applied and then sent in secondarys.

As a URM, I don't like to see statements like this. The fact of the matter is that you were admitted to medical school because you are bright, committed, motivated, and dedicated, and the members of the adcom saw those same qualities in you as well. Remember, MCAT's and GPA"s are only 2 parts of at least 10 qualities a person should have to become a good physician. PEOPLE ALWAYS FORGET THIS FACT You also had to make it past the interview and I doubt there were any affirmative action
stardards there.:rolleyes:

You earned your spot in medical school and so don't allow anyone to make you feel differently!!!

I am undegraduate majoring pre-med...I will be a junior by coming August. My problem is gpa. my gpa is pretty low but I do not want to change my major at all. I was wondering if I should stay undergraduate for 6years so I can make my gpa go up or should I just apply to med school after mcat?

i read some interesting experiment in this site. It kind of gave me hope.
please let me know what you think.
:confused:

hey I survived 6 years of undergrad then any monkey can. I am not a smart guy. I only pass due to my study habits. Im not naturally smart. I only got a 1110 on my SAT's for pete sake. If you want it bad enough like I did, you will do whatever it takes to make the dream your reality. Best of luck and email me if you have any questions or just need support !!!!

for all you kids out there, antgod speaks the truth. no doctor gives up on a patient, and no applicant should give up on the process. keep on fighting, and you'll win in due time.

Hi ,

I know its not politically correct but yes it does matter at times if your are a URM and by that I mean African American or Hispanic. All other minorities (Korean, Chineese, Indian, etc) don't count as well as Caucasions. This is mainly due to the fact that many more Caucasions and Asians apply to medical school and thus must out compete each other. While URMs do not compete for spots with the entire class, just other URMs. Whoever gets in good for them and all I gotta say is damn your lucky and I wish I was in the same boat. . . . so take advantage of whatever opportunity you're given....in whatever way you were given it.

Ummmm I'm URM...and my MCAT is not 20 anything. I know for a fact another URM on this site whose GPA is 3.8 and has an over 30 MCAT score...so to assume that URM = low stats is bad. Also, every URM didn't have a bad situation, and some did. You have to admit that whites and asians are the majority in med school, and all this complaining of URMs taking spots is rediculous. What pisses me off is that if you have a lower GPA and are white, that this is okay, and people assume that you had a hard time etc. If you are black, whether you do well or not, you are ALWAYS second guessed and ALWAYS questioned -- PERIOD. That's something the MAJORITY doesn't have to recognize or deal with.

Congratulations, cbpremed! :clap: Also, great comment!

Before this thread gets out of hand, I first want to say a big congrats to Antgod...I mean, wasn't that what this thread was for? Encouraging words for those who are still waiting?

I had similar stats last year when I applied and got in to an MD school too(and for all you storm clouds, no, I'm not a URM). I just finished my first year and did just fine Antgod, you will too. Don't worry about all those people who have better stats than you. You totally deserve to be there. Adcoms rarely make mistakes.

This race issue seems to parallel the MD vs DO never-ending story....Just as blacks/hispanics may be second-guessed so are DO's or pre-DO's by pre-MD's or outside society...

The fact of the matter for both issues is that we just need to appreciate everyone's effort in trying to achieve their dream to become a physician...whether it is allopathic or osteopathic(you can chime the cheesy music here if u wish)...as many times as I may say or any other person who sees all of us as just future physicians of this nation....there will always be those who put throw logs back into the fire to reheat up a debate that needs to be extinguished. I have come long and far just as many of you have and I am just as proud of my accomplishment as I am proud of yours and I am sure you feel the same way :)

Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, native American, or mixed...MD, DO, DDS, RN, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Pharmacist, Veterinarian, or Podiatrist....we are all going to be a part of health-care community where we just have to respect one another as much as possible and work together to live as happily as we can. Sure it may fall on deaf ears and it may not be reality, but its important that we not lose sight of our OWN aspirations and dreams just cuz society has deemed it otherwise. I can't wait to go to Nova for med school and am still in a state of awe of my accomplishment. I've always been telling people I would love to write a book as I am sure many of you probably have thought of as well...with stories just as amazing and unique.

If you read my previous post and my "stats" you know that I also was not your quintessential pre-med with a 4.0 and 30+ on the MCAT...due to unforseen familial circumstances and other stresses I took 5 years to complete my undergrad and I took a year off because my GPA and MCAT was still too low in my mind to be up to par with the rest of my application. It is largely an individual decision to decide whether or not to apply....everyone told me to just quit on medicine and go into pharmacy or dentistry(not that these are bad professions)...but solely based on the "number-game"...which I hate. Like previous posters have said before...if you REALLY want it...you CAN achieve it!

Good luck to all!!
:clap:

Mani

Come on you guys...revive an old thread about the URM issue or something, but don't turn this thread into the same old debate...this is freaking ridiculous.

With that said, I just wanted to congratulate antgod22--so sorry to see your thread turn into another stupid debate about URMs. Way to go on your acceptance!!!:clap:

Cash Mani-
I just wanted to send a big "Thank you" to you for shouting out occupational therapists as part of the health care team!

OP-
Great story. Congradulations! Very inspirational for all of us that are trying very hard to get into medical school.

Everyone else-
Sorry to hijack the post. Please return to the senseless debate over URMs.

dc

Cash Mani... i recently sat on the UIC admissions committee as a voting member and can tell you with certainty that you absolutely would not have gotten into UIC without something special (and i am not talking about crap like volunteer experience). there is a very strict formula for non-URMs and with the numbers you posted, you wouldn't even have been offered an interview (unless neither of your parents graduated from high school). anyways, congrats.

BigDan,

hehehe...no problem on the shout-out. I think everyone tends to forget the integral part PT's and OT's play in healthcare today. I think I forgot to give a shout-out to chiropractors, homeopaths and naturopaths as well...everyone has a role and there is someone out there that will fulfill these roles in society...I think its important to recognize that.

Cassidy61,

Well, I guess there are exceptions to your certainty. Every applicant that receives an acceptance and/or even an interview has to have something "special", whatever it may be in their application. Both my parents graduated from high school and there is nothing disadvantageous about my upbringing. I'm sorry to say Cassidy61, but there are many others out there like me who are NOT URM's and were offered interviews and acceptances with similar numbers. We all had different experiences...and I would definitely not refer to volunteering as just some "crap". I am not here to defend my integrity(in fact UIC asked me that question during the interview ironically)...I am just here to add to the OP's original thread. I think it is wonderful to put some stories on here where people can understand to not GIVE UP on their dream to become a physician just cuz their #'s are not where their pre-med advisors tell them that they should be at. I understand the point system at UIC, I've read plenty of articles on it and am aware to some extent as to how they filter out the applicants...believe me I was shocked to receive an interview from one MD school....let alone 3. In the end I chose Nova, for one reason as it applies here, because of the friendly atmosphere of the faculty and administration and their supportive nature to help you along your journey into medicine(something I didn't get from UIC and others). So please Cassidy61, don't be quick to challenge someone's posting...if you don't believe it...keep it to yourself. I am not going to lie about my accomplishments...it does me no good and does no one on SDN any good. I might as well claim that I've gotten into Ivy League schools...thats not my point for being a member here. I am here to help and offer advice from my own experience in the application process and hopefully provide hope to others who dont believe in their application.

I'm sorry to other posters who are reading this...but can we PLEASE just get back to the original posters thread...there are plenty of URM threads out there and if you want you can bump one of those. Oh and by the way...a belated congrats to AntGod..I forgot to congratulate ya!:)

just saying that after looking through literally thousands of candidates for admission into UIC, somone with your story and numbers (that wasn't a URM) never even made it to the interview table. i just don't want people to get false hopes. ok, i am done. congrats to everyone and have fun at school.

Originally posted by cbpremed
Ummmm I'm URM...and my MCAT is not 20 anything. I know for a fact another URM on this site whose GPA is 3.8 and has an over 30 MCAT score...so to assume that URM = low stats is bad. Also, every URM didn't have a bad situation, and some did. You have to admit that whites and asians are the majority in med school, and all this complaining of URMs taking spots is rediculous. What pisses me off is that if you have a lower GPA and are white, that this is okay, and people assume that you had a hard time etc. If you are black, whether you do well or not, you are ALWAYS second guessed and ALWAYS questioned -- PERIOD. That's something the MAJORITY doesn't have to recognize or deal with.

That's one of the problems with AA -- the second guessing that ALWAYS occurs because of it. I understand the need to increase the representation of URMs in the medical community. However, the "lowering" of the bar to get URMs accepted into med schools just does not seem right to me.

Either way, I do think that those who do get accepted to medical schools are deserving. The whole process is a crapshoot anyway so congrads to those with acceptances.

Originally posted by Cassidy61
just saying that after looking through literally thousands of candidates for admission into UIC, somone with your story and numbers (that wasn't a URM) never even made it to the interview table. i just don't want people to get false hopes. ok, i am done. congrats to everyone and have fun at school.

I did...obviously you have not looked thru EVERY application that went thru UIC, because if you really had then you wouldnt be saying that "someone with my story and my numbers didnt even make it to the interview table"...when I in fact did.

Keep hope alive applicants...

Mani:)

Ok - now that I've been called a racist, a bigot, and a$$ and a jerk...I'm no longer going to contribute to these threads.

I think Affirm Action is a joke, I think it belittles the intelligence of minorities. All races have the same intelligence. For whoever told me to stop wasting my time and go out and study, that is good advice, I'm actually headed to the library right now.

For the rest of you URMs out there - if any of you have pictures of Douglas, King, X, Parks, or Marshall on your walls - then I have a proposal. Go out and make them proud by proving your intelligence. The MCAT isn't a racist test - redox reactions don't make more sense to me cause I drive a BMW. GO STUDY AND GO GET A 30 AND THEN WE WON"T HAVE TO LOWER THE BAR FOR YOU EVER AGAIN. YOU ARE JUST AS SMART AS WE ARE - NOW GO OUT AND PROVE IT.

In closing - I promise this is my last post on the topic, I just want to say I'm not a racist, I think all races are of equal intelligence. I have had black girlfriends, I have black friends, and I am not a racist. For whoever calls me a racist - go piss off, get a new argument, you bore me.

Let's all agree that the current method of AA is a little skewed. Most of us can agree that it should be based on socio-economic factors rather than black, hispanic or native american. Yes, blacks only achieved their civil rights only 50 years ago and yes there is still discrimination in all parts of these minorities lives like getting loans and housing. It's a vicious cycle...parents can't get into good school districts, kids suffer and have to quit school to support their family in low paying jobs. However socio-economic based AA can solve this. Race based AA doesn't help the whites in the same situations(in most of the cases) nor the Asians. Do these people have it any less harder than blacks or hispanics, I think not. My Dad came to the U.S. 25 years ago from small town in India with not very much. He probably had to work twice as hard considering the language barrier, yet I did not recieve any preferential treatment. I am not complaining just favoring a better way to solve this AA problem. Race-based AA can only be used for so long...Will we still see AA 50 years from now, will it be needed? How long will it take for discrimination to disappear? The sad part is that discrimination will always be a part of our society.

It is true that the inner-cities are mainly minority neighborhoods and these areas don't have the greatest schools and by far do not have the same opportunities that suburb schools have( AP classes, tutoring, FUNDING, good teachers) so I see the need for helping these students. But as we know the inner cities is primarily low income and again socio economic AA will fair better than race based.

I would like to see a stat on what the average family income of a URM that is applying to medschool and compare it to whites/asians. If anyone knows, please post!

I applaud Ant's acceptance, however we probably dont want ANYONE in medical school... :).

Originally posted by TexasGuy41
Ok - now that I've been called a racist, a bigot, and a$$ and a jerk...I'm no longer going to contribute to these threads.

Hey man, don't sweat it. It is simply knee-jerk, politically-correct BS nonsense to label everybody who is against AA as a racist. Don't let these folks get you down. :D

I am hispanic and i agree with the Texas dude. He only pointed out that the whole picture wasnt in there, because we all know that a white student with a 26mcat and a gpa of <3.20 has a very slim chance of getting into Medical Schools. And i think the question that the Texas dude posted was fair. Hes not being racist by pointing out something that is happening right now that URM (Afro american, hispanics etc) in average have lower scores and are getting into medical schools.

I think hes line of thinking was this one:

white pre-med students reads the post, he has a mcat of 26 and gpa of 3.2, he gets his hopes high, that maybe hes chances are better than what he thought, when they arent!!!

In no way i think he was racist, he just pointed out something that is real and its happening rigth now in our med schools. White students need higher scores to get into med schools and that the big picture wasnt painted in this situation.

And congrats to the initial poster with been accepted to med school, its a pretty good experience!! you'll love it.