If I got a C...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeforeISleep

WSU Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys,

Awkward question. My bacteriology final is tomorrow and I've been too sick to study for the past two days (and I haven't been doing awesome in the first place). I currently have a low B and I'm worried I might end up with a C in the class.

I've received admission offers from WSU and OSU for next Fall. Do you think getting a C (but 3 As in other classes) could cause my offers to be questioned/re-evaluated? Forgive me if I'm being naive and/or doom-and-gloom, I just have no idea what would cause an offer to be rescinded short of a felony or failure.

Thanks! Back to studying...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there guys,

Awkward question. My bacteriology final is tomorrow and I've been too sick to study for the past two days (and I haven't been doing awesome in the first place). I currently have a low B and I'm worried I might end up with a C in the class.

I've received admission offers from WSU and OSU for next Fall. Do you think getting a C (but 3 As in other classes) could cause my offers to be questioned/re-evaluated? Forgive me if I'm being naive and/or doom-and-gloom, I just have no idea what would cause an offer to be rescinded short of a felony or failure.

Thanks! Back to studying...

I think the usual rule is that you cannot receive below a C in any prerequisite. Not sure that bacteriology is a prereq for any vet school...but either way, you should be more than fine. They shouldn't rescind an admissions offer if you make a C, let alone a C in a non-prereq.

I've received admission offers from WSU and OSU for next Fall. Do you think getting a C (but 3 As in other classes) could cause my offers to be questioned/re-evaluated?

No.

If you have received an offer it will not be rescinded for getting a C.

I'm sure we can all come up with a million reasons an offer might be rescinded, but academically speaking I think it would only happen if you failed to complete all the pre-reqs with the minimum required grade (I think it's a C for virtually every vet school?).

I'm not suggesting that you don't try to do well finishing strong, but don't lose sleep over a B or a C at this point. The only way it could really hurt you is if for some reason you had to withdraw from WSU or OSU and had to re-enter the application cycle again. But, whereas a deferral isn't terribly uncommon, an outright withdraw (and then re-apply later) .... dunno .... I have to think that's super rare.

So relax, finish up, and enjoy your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell I got 2 Cs in undergrad and I'm almost a doctor now!

A short list of things that will not happen if you get a C:

1. The sky will not come crashing to the earth in flames, killing thousands and ushering in a whole new genre of disaster movies.

2. You will not be required to give a graduation speech while naked except for a feather boa.

3. The terrorists will not win.

4. The Matrix 4 will not hit theaters.

5. WSU and OSU will not rescind your offers of admission.

Obviously, I kid, but seriously it's okay to relax. You've made it through the hard part, so as long as you pass your classes, you're golden.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Reactions: 8 users
Ha! Thanks guys. I was just worried that since I'd never gotten a C before, they would think I slacked off after application. Which is definitely not the case - this class is REALLY tough (that's actually why I took it).
I guess it's a combo of finals week panic and still being in denial that I'm actually going to vet school.

I've got some coffee and I just loved on a bunch of therapy dogs they've got in the library to keep us students sane before our tests (I love my university), so I'm better!

...and still being in denial that I'm actually going to vet school.

ಠ_ಠ Denial? That tends to carry a negative connotation. Do you mean in the sense that you're in disbelief?

Don't even ask about Cs in vet school. Lol.

First Year: "I really wanna get As!"
Second Year, First Semester: "Bs are perfectly good grades!"
Second Year, Second Semester: "Whatever. Cs are less stress and I still graduate."
Third Year: "As long as I don't get more than one D each semester, I get to keep coming back."

Reactions: 5 users
Ha! Thanks guys. I was just worried that since I'd never gotten a C before, they would think I slacked off after application. Which is definitely not the case - this class is REALLY tough (that's actually why I took it).
I guess it's a combo of finals week panic and still being in denial that I'm actually going to vet school.

I've got some coffee and I just loved on a bunch of therapy dogs they've got in the library to keep us students sane before our tests (I love my university), so I'm better!

Hell, I totally slacked off after I got in. Was that not supposed to be a thing? I dropped 8 credits of classes that semester :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
First Year: "I really wanna get As!"
Second Year, First Semester: "Bs are perfectly good grades!"
Second Year, Second Semester: "Whatever. Cs are less stress and I still graduate."
Third Year: "As long as I don't get more than one D each semester, I get to keep coming back."

Man, if we make a D, we have to take a placement exam, likely covering the entire semester's material, and it's pass/fail. Then you are on 'academic probation' for a year and if you make another D in that time, you are out. If you make an F at any time, you are out.

I actually did okay this semester - except I'm still waiting to hear about therio, which of course is the one class I'm worried about. I just didn't 'get' that class.

Man, if we make a D, we have to take a placement exam, likely covering the entire semester's material, and it's pass/fail. Then you are on 'academic probation' for a year and if you make another D in that time, you are out. If you make an F at any time, you are out.

I actually did okay this semester - except I'm still waiting to hear about therio, which of course is the one class I'm worried about. I just didn't 'get' that class.

Yeah, that sounds harsh. We're allowed one D per semester up to 5 total in our 4 years here (the 6th one gets you booted). An F gets you kicked out at any time, and for these purposes, two Ds (in one semester) counts as an F.

At least you get a chance to move on with that exam. If you get one here you're not allowed to go on to next semester, gotta repeat and have a C at least in every class to progress to each semester and to eventually be allowed to enter clinics. 2 Ds in a semester or 3 total anytime in the program and you're out.

At least you get a chance to move on with that exam. If you get one here you're not allowed to go on to next semester, gotta repeat and have a C at least in every class to progress to each semester and to eventually be allowed to enter clinics. 2 Ds in a semester or 3 total anytime in the program and you're out.

That does sound worse. Man, funny how much variety there is, and it's nothing you would ever think about when picking a school, because hell, who goes in counting on screwing up? Hah.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been wondering about other school's grading policies and since the topic is up- we have a really rough grading scale where
70-73 D+, 73-76 C-, 76-79 C, 79-82 C, 82-85 B- , 85-88 B, 89-91 B+, 91-94 A-, 94+ is A

Is this normal for other vet schools? I've been stressing about our grading scale because of pharmacology.

Man, TT, no D's without remediation is rough too! We can get 1 in a semester with no consequences (thankfully, hello pharm), or 2 in a semester and be on academic probation. 5 D's total and you're out, also out if you fail anything. We also have a minimum GPA we have to maintain (2.25) or we can't enter clinics.
I'm glad schools have tough standards though, as stressful as it waiting for the grade that may ruin you. Good luck on therio-I'm rooting for you to pass, while I study for my therio final. I dislike it as well, especially the horse parts.

I've been wondering about other school's grading policies and since the topic is up- we have a really rough grading scale where
70-73 D+, 73-76 C-, 76-79 C, 79-82 C, 82-85 B- , 85-88 B, 89-91 B+, 91-94 A-, 94+ is A

Is this normal for other vet schools? I've been stressing about our grading scale because of pharmacology.

It's up to our teachers how they implement grades. Most of our graded classes (maybe 90% of them, I bet) use 90+=A, 80-89=B, 70-79=C, 60-69=D, 0-59=F. Not many of our classes assign +/- grades.

We don't have +/- at LSU. 92+ A, 83-91 B, 74-82 C, 65-73 D. Some classes (electives, intro to vet med) are pass/fail.