If I just received my horribly disappointing MCAT score (already submitted this cycle), am I able to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DAT is much easier. The DAT is like 2 college finals stapled together. The MCAT, as you have found out, is something else entirely.

To put it in perspective, the DAT questions are discrete questions that showed up on the MCAT. Reading comprehension and critical thinking doesn't play as big of a role.

Plus, ur a non trad. Dental school is only 4 years before you start practicing and making 150k+. Medical school is at the very least 7 for family med. those 3 years make a diffrence when you are looking to start a family when ur in the upper 20s. Believe me, I'm starting to feel the pain of time constraints as a mid twenty something.
You've given me a lot to think abt..appreciate it! The time constraint issue is definitely a major factor.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually its just looking at the stats that are increasing each year. Not only that but talking to people like Goro and DrmikeP agree that stats will be increasing this year and talking to them, they have stated a 500 even though is considered average, is not a good chance to get into schools(or at least talking to drMikeP at least). A 24 which worked for previous years probably won't stand a chance this cycle. A 500 with a 3.2 does not have a strong chance.(I'm assuming 3.2 cGPA and sGPA). I mean where are you getting these references? A 499(or even a 501) is not a good chance to get into medical school at the moment(Let alone MD schools).

Idk maybe I misinterpreted what Goro and DrMikeP said. But looking at the trends, this cycle I am stating a 501(or 499-501) with a 3.2 or 3.3 or close to that leaves almost NO CHANCE for you to get into any schools. I mean alone this year, a 500 is a cutoff for most schools. Possibly brand new schools but even that isn't a given.

Again if someone said
"I'm applying with a 499 and a 3.2 gpa", I don't think people are going to say he has a decent shot to get into anywhere except for the very new schools and even then, a 3.2 GPA is extremely low with a 499. The reason the OP has a chance is because of amazing EC's and extremely high GPA's.

Edit: Yes I was incorrect! I thought a 25 = 50th percentile but actually it is equivalent to a 499

Concur

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Actually its just looking at the stats that are increasing each year. Not only that but talking to people like Goro and DrmikeP agree that stats will be increasing this year and talking to them, they have stated a 500 even though is considered average, is not a good chance to get into schools(or at least talking to drMikeP at least). A 24 which worked for previous years probably won't stand a chance this cycle. A 500 with a 3.2 does not have a strong chance.(I'm assuming 3.2 cGPA and sGPA). I mean where are you getting these references? A 499(or even a 501) is not a good chance to get into medical school at the moment(Let alone MD schools).

Idk maybe I misinterpreted what Goro and DrMikeP said. But looking at the trends, this cycle I am stating a 501(or 499-501) with a 3.2 or 3.3 or close to that leaves almost NO CHANCE for you to get into any schools. I mean alone this year, a 500 is a cutoff for most schools. Possibly brand new schools but even that isn't a given.

Again if someone said
"I'm applying with a 499 and a 3.2 gpa", I don't think people are going to say he has a decent shot to get into anywhere except for the very new schools and even then, a 3.2 GPA is extremely low with a 499. The reason the OP has a chance is because of amazing EC's and extremely high GPA's.

Edit: Yes I was incorrect! I thought a 25 = 50th percentile but actually it is equivalent to a 499

First, DrmikeP just started school this year so I hardly consider him an expert on DO admissions. Goro is a great resource but he is also one adcom member at one school.

If you look at the CIB produced by AACOMAS then you can see that for the matriculating year of 2015 (the last year we have data) that 4786 people applied to DO programs with an MCAT score between 20-24. Out of those 4786, 1114 matriculated to a DO program. That is 17% of all DO matriculants! Yes numbers last creep up every year, but with the plethora of new schools opening I would place a very large sum of money that the number matriculating with a 495-498 will be substantial and will not be that much lower than we see in the 2015 data. You I can also assure you that a decent number of those people matriculating had a GPA of 3.3 or lower because 1136 of matriculants had a sGPA of 2.8-3.19 in 2015. Numbers do not change that drastically from year to year, they change yes but a two year difference will not change the statistics enough to make DO all of sudden this overly competative endeavor. I stand by my statement that someone with a 3.2/499-501 stat line has a decent chance of acceptance to a DO program. There is a reason DO schools don't have an MSAR like MD schools do, the 10th percentile MCAT scores and GPAs would be a lot lower than people would think at a lot of schools.

The data says that someone with a 24 has a good enough chance at DO programs to apply broadly. The new schools opening up will keep DO numbers down and keep it an option for lower stat applicants. I'm not saying it's a given but that an applicant with a 500/3.2 has a chance that is significantly above 0.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You've given me a lot to think abt..appreciate it! The time constraint issue is definitely a major factor.

If I woke up tomorrow morning with your kind of GPA, as the mid 20 year old that I am, knowing what I know now, I would immediately sign up for the DAT and study my booty off to score 20+ and get into dental school.

Im not sure if it is the same way for you, but the older I get, the less and less the word "passion" and "dream" and all the other buzzwords I use to spout off to people means to me. I want a career that is going to provide me a steady income (ideally 100k+) and a career that I would enjoy going to work everyday for, not necessarily one Im in love with. Dentistry can offer that because it is the best of both worlds. You get to help people in a medical way, get to work with your hands, be your own boss (this is becoming increasingly hard in medicine), and have the feeling of being a doctor without all the added stress. Plus, you make a great chunk of change.

I scoffed, like 95%of the other MD/DO hopefuls out there, at the thought of pursuing dentistry. "But I don't like teeth!" I wailed in harmonious tune with all the other premedical drones. Then I actually shadowed a dentist and you know what? It was pretty sweet. The dentist was friendly, the patients liked coming in to see him (and were relived when that infected tooth got fixed), the doctor got to fix the problems right then and there, and nobody died.

If I had your GPA, I would not go into things such as: Pharmacy, Optometry, Nutrition, or Podiatry. You have an outstanding GPA which you should be proud of! Make that GPA work for you and select the best. Pharmacy is too oversaturated, same with Optometry (Though Optometry used to be a good deal; 4 year program and you're done, 110K salary, etc). Nutrition is a waste since you would have to go back to undergrad and they don't make nearly as much money as the other 2. Podiatry is a great field, but the time it takes to complete the program is way to much for the end result (a seven year track) although being a foot and ankle surgeon would be sweet.

First, DrmikeP just started school this year so I hardly consider him an expert on DO admissions. Goro is a great resource but he is also one adcom member at one school.

If you look at the CIB produced by AACOMAS then you can see that for the matriculating year of 2015 (the last year we have data) that 4786 people applied to DO programs with an MCAT score between 20-24. Out of those 4786, 1114 matriculated to a DO program. That is 17% of all DO matriculants! Yes numbers last creep up every year, but with the plethora of new schools opening I would place a very large sum of money that the number matriculating with a 495-498 will be substantial and will not be that much lower than we see in the 2015 data. You I can also assure you that a decent number of those people matriculating had a GPA of 3.3 or lower because 1136 of matriculants had a sGPA of 2.8-3.19 in 2015. Numbers do not change that drastically from year to year, they change yes but a two year difference will not change the statistics enough to make DO all of sudden this overly competative endeavor. I stand by my statement that someone with a 3.2/499-501 stat line has a decent chance of acceptance to a DO program. There is a reason DO schools don't have an MSAR like MD schools do, the 10th percentile MCAT scores and GPAs would be a lot lower than people would think at a lot of schools.

The data says that someone with a 24 has a good enough chance at DO programs to apply broadly. The new schools opening up will keep DO numbers down and keep it an option for lower stat applicants. I'm not saying it's a given but that an applicant with a 500/3.2 has a chance that is significantly above 0.

Is there any evidence of the percentage of those 20-24 people that also had bad GPAs? I'm genuinely curious. I was under the assumption that the folks with low MCAT had an awesome gpa or rocked an SMP or both. Same with gpa. It can suck, but a good MCAT can forgive it.

I applied with a 3.8 gpa and even higher science gpa but with a 23 MCAT and all I got was...

Silence!

It wasn't until I updated my higher MCAT score that the II's started rolling in. I really believe people who get in with sub 25/500 really had something extraordinary about their app.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any evidence of the percentage of those 20-24 people that also had bad GPAs? I'm genuinely curious. I was under the assumption that the folks with low MCAT had an awesome gpa or rocked an SMP or both. Same with gpa. It can suck, but a good MCAT can forgive it.

I applied with a 3.8 gpa and even higher science gpa but with a 23 MCAT and all I got was...

Silence!

It wasn't until I updated my higher MCAT score that the II's started rolling in. I really believe people who get in with sub 25/500 really had something extraordinary about their app.

Thats what I said above! I'm telling you, I can almost guarantee anyone with a 24 or whatever low score and a 3.2 GPA will probably have no chance. Those days are over, I guess we have to wait for this years stats but again the OP has a 3.9 GPA and a 499. The 3.9 is what caught my eye with his EC'S BUT the 499 will definitely get him screened at most schools which is a larger issue.

Edit: Again SOME people might get in with a <500 MCAT but there application has to be amazing on everything else(which this one is).

Last edited:
I got back my score from my July 22nd test date yesterday and was stunned with the big fat 499 I saw glaring back at me. Psych/soc totally killed me, which was shocking because that was always strong in my practice exams....So can I retake and have the score submitted for this cycle? Do I need to let schools know if that is what I plan to do? I only have 3 DO schools I've applied to so far (PCOM, Rowan, Touro), so maybe I just need to add a LOT more DO schools to my app list and cross my fingers?? I'm a nontrad and the idea of another gap year is really disconcerting. Any advice would be SO appreciated!!

To provide more clarification:
sGPA is 3.9
cGPA is 3.78
white female from NJ, nontrad
strong PS, great recommendations
500+ hours shadowing
500+ hours clinical volunteering
I do brain harvesting for research
...that's all I can think of

OP you will more than likely get into one of the newer DO schools. It is likely you'll get screened out at certain schools with higher MCAT averages ( AZCOM, CCOM, Touros ). It is probable that you'll get into the rest of the schools. Generate a broader list of schools and you'll be fine.

PS: that sGPA is amazing, don't be discouraged.

Thats what I said above! I'm telling you, I can almost guarantee anyone with a 24 or whatever low score and a 3.2 GPA will probably have no chance. Those days are over, I guess we have to wait for this years stats but again the OP has a 3.9 GPA and a 499. The 3.9 is what caught my eye with his EC'S BUT the 499 will definitely get him screened at most schools which is a larger issue.

Edit: Again SOME people might get in with a <500 MCAT but there application has to be amazing on everything else(which this one is).

Again, strongly concur.
Op your gpa is fantastic and you should be proud of it. Give the cycle a shot and see what happens.

OP you will more than likely get into one of the newer DO schools. It is likely you'll get screened out at certain schools with higher MCAT averages ( AZCOM, CCOM, Touros ). It is probable that you'll get into the rest of the schools. Generate a broader list of schools and you'll be fine.

PS: that sGPA is amazing, don't be discouraged.
The encouragement is so needed! Thank you!

Again, strongly concur.
Op your gpa is fantastic and you should be proud of it. Give the cycle a shot and see what happens.

Appreciate it pal -- Guess I should dig myself out of this pit of misery I was wallowing in and do the best with what I've got.

Appreciate it pal -- Guess I should dig myself out of this pit of misery I was wallowing in and do the best with what I've got.

Keep your head up. Yeah you'll get screened out at a lot of schools because of the sub 500, but what's the result of not applying? Not even having a chance. I was so borderline on even applying this cycle because of low stats, and I was accepted early. Give it a go and be sure to update us!

If I woke up tomorrow morning with your kind of GPA, as the mid 20 year old that I am, knowing what I know now, I would immediately sign up for the DAT and study my booty off to score 20+ and get into dental school.

Im not sure if it is the same way for you, but the older I get, the less and less the word "passion" and "dream" and all the other buzzwords I use to spout off to people means to me. I want a career that is going to provide me a steady income (ideally 100k+) and a career that I would enjoy going to work everyday for, not necessarily one Im in love with. Dentistry can offer that because it is the best of both worlds. You get to help people in a medical way, get to work with your hands, be your own boss (this is becoming increasingly hard in medicine), and have the feeling of being a doctor without all the added stress. Plus, you make a great chunk of change.

I scoffed, like 95%of the other MD/DO hopefuls out there, at the thought of pursuing dentistry. "But I don't like teeth!" I wailed in harmonious tune with all the other premedical drones. Then I actually shadowed a dentist and you know what? It was pretty sweet. The dentist was friendly, the patients liked coming in to see him (and were relived when that infected tooth got fixed), the doctor got to fix the problems right then and there, and nobody died.

If I had your GPA, I would not go into things such as: Pharmacy, Optometry, Nutrition, or Podiatry. You have an outstanding GPA which you should be proud of! Make that GPA work for you and select the best. Pharmacy is too oversaturated, same with Optometry (Though Optometry used to be a good deal; 4 year program and you're done, 110K salary, etc). Nutrition is a waste since you would have to go back to undergrad and they don't make nearly as much money as the other 2. Podiatry is a great field, but the time it takes to complete the program is way to much for the end result (a seven year track) although being a foot and ankle surgeon would be sweet.
I really appreciate you taking the time to explain other options that I probably should be considering. My dream was pathology or forensic pathology...but the cool thing about dentistry is that I would have the forensic odontology piece to explore to appease my original interests. I think I will reach out to a local dentist to assess potential shadowing opportunities.

Keep your head up. Yeah you'll get screened out at a lot of schools because of the sub 500, but what's the result of not applying? Not even having a chance. I was so borderline on even applying this cycle because of low stats, and I was accepted early. Give it a go and be sure to update us!

Will definitely update you guys!! By taking time out of your days, you had a legitimate impact on my dismal mindset. Can't thank you enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will definitely update you guys!! By taking time out of your days, you had a legitimate impact on my dismal mindset. Can't thank you enough.

That's what we're here for!!!

Got to be honest, I like the penguin walking picture

It's rather fitting for the situation isn't it?..

"Man my MCAT score isn't so......OMG LOOK AT THAT PENGUIN HAHA ITS SO CUTE"

Reactions: 3 users
It depends upon when your retake is scheduled. If you get your results back by end of Oct/early Nov, then that would still be OK. I can't recommend a retake until you fix your deficits. If test taking anxiety is an issue, that's fixable.

I got back my score from my July 22nd test date yesterday and was stunned with the big fat 499 I saw glaring back at me. Psych/soc totally killed me, which was shocking because that was always strong in my practice exams....So can I retake and have the score submitted for this cycle? Do I need to let schools know if that is what I plan to do? I only have 3 DO schools I've applied to so far (PCOM, Rowan, Touro), so maybe I just need to add a LOT more DO schools to my app list and cross my fingers?? I'm a nontrad and the idea of another gap year is really disconcerting. Any advice would be SO appreciated!!

I think this is terrible and, frankly, insulting. Not everyone 'aces' the exam on the first try. Do you know how many successful physicians there are who performed horribly not only once, but two, three, even four times? People make mistakes...that's part of being a human being. You know the only thing better than being a 'rocks star'? Showing a capacity for improvement. As you seem to have low stats yourself (LizzyM = 65), I am shocked that you would offer such conceited advice.

No matter if you are online or in-person...never kick people while they are down, and never tell people that they can't do something. All things are possible with effort and a good attitude.

However, I do agree that OP needs to improve.

Frankly you need to mind your business and not throw caution to the wind and allow other opinions.

I'm being honest, you're giving OP false hope.

As it stands, OP's chances of matriculating are low. OP needs to show adcoms that this was a blatantly negligent mistake in taking the MCAT when she was not ready! OP needs to take a year off, study full time and show the adcoms!

You should take your own advice then. Her LizzyM is approximately the same as your own....so if you're being honest, you're a pro at lying to yourself.

Melting Ice Cube, You are BLATANTLY INSULTING and PUTTING OTHERS DOWN.

I am forgiving OP and acknolwedghing that yes, her mcat score is low but because of her high GPA, I'm sure that this was just negligence on her part and that is a stupid reason to not get into medical school.

She needs to retake the MCAT AFTER PREP.

And speaking on GPAs, Each school is different, grades vary, classes vary, my GPA might be low (I had significant familial problems that I dealt with and am a first generation URM immigrant). You wanted to discuss GPAs so now we are going to.
Her GPA is high...but my PERFORMANCE on a NATIONALLY STANDARDIZED test is LEAGUES above hers...that speaks volumes about the variability in GPAs.

/mic drop.

I'm being insulting? Look at my previous posts please. You were the one who told her to give up and go after "alternative medicine". Wow.

Hey, don't disrespect "Other Health Professions" considering YOU ARE AN EXAMPLE...seriously can't tell if you are the troll of the year!

Some of those guys make great money and NEWS FLASH, mental health and wellness are VERY MUCH an alternative medicine that has significant impacts on patient care and outcomes.

I don't think you're cut out for this line of work honestly.

And please, just stop...you can't troll anyone over the age of 2. You don't even discuss the variability of GPAs and performance on STANDARDIZED tests.

Hey, don't disrespect "Other Health Professions" considering YOU ARE AN EXAMPLE...seriously can't tell if you are the troll of the year!

Some of those guys make great money and NEWS FLASH, mental health and wellness are VERY MUCH an alternative medicine that has significant impacts on patient care and outcomes.

I don't think you're cut out for this line of work honestly.

And please, just stop...you can't troll anyone over the age of 2. You don't even discuss the variability of GPAs and performance on STANDARDIZED tests.
How have you not been banned by now? You seem mentally unhinged (good luck hiding that at your interviews). I'm sure that you recommended other professions due to your kind nature and not out of malice, right? You know full-well that OP wants to be a physician and you simply punched her in the gut while she was already grasping for breath.

People like you make this forum a ***-show.

How have you not been banned by now? You seem mentally unhinged (good luck hiding that at your interviews). I'm sure that you recommended other professions due to your kind nature and not out of malice, right? You know full-well that OP wants to be a physician and you simply punched her in the gut while she was already grasping for breath.

I recommended other professions because a year set back in a admissions = a year of salary lost. If OP truly feels horribly disappointed, I just gave unsolicited AND UNBIASED and impartial advice that highlighted OTHER POTENTIAL OPTIONS...a less than stellar MCAT score should not define her life!! Her options include, apply now, retake mcat and apply next cycle OR use her mcat and cast her net into other professions too.

We need to step back and ask ourselves, what drew us to health care? We want to help people...and if a low MCAT score held me back, I'd pursue other careers in health care that were willing to give me an opportunity to help people.

In a case by case analysis, one should consider ALL THE OPTIONS. And please, stop talking down to the OP, she's an adult. Please stop promoting decades old gender stereotypes. She's not a little girl. She knew all the possible ramifications, consequences and side effects of a low MCAT score. She's not a pathetic animal gasping for its last few breaths...seriously. You're the one that's mentally unhinged, considering you have to use such poetic language to describe a less than stellar MCAT PERFORMANCE...

BRUH
ae633e0b9a9063818668941ad2825306.jpg

His time will come. The ban hammer is very satisfying, let's not give the space mouse the time of day and await that joyous moment :hardy:

Reactions: 7 users
His time will come. The ban hammer is very satisfying, let's not give the space mouse the time of day and await that joyous moment :hardy:
You insult and call me names, but this space mouse has a powerful booming voice!

I get the sentiment, but sometimes reality is needed and the best thing to tell someone. In this case OP has a good shot, so encouragement is needed in this case.

You keep saying stuff like this as if you say it enough then it will become true. The data says you are wrong. Someone with a 500 has a good chance at acceptance paired with a GPA north of 3.2. Not to mention that many schools have an average right around 499-501. If less than 1000 people matriculate with a 501 or less then it will be very surprising.

Just ignore him. He is the current troll extraordinaire of pre-osteo. I have no idea why he hasn't been at least put on probation. :shrug:

AAMC says it is exactly a 25. They adjusted their percentiles in May I think. The scale went down a few points I believe. I think it was because they realized too many people were scoring highly (<-- just my assumption/opinion)

Personally I think they should have kept the 45 scale. Just broken down PS to be only 8 points and inserted a Soc/Psych section worth 7 points. Physics and Hard Mathematical Chemistry are utterly of no use in medical school.

Though clearly this opinion is due to PS being my lowest score by a lot XD. *

*wasn't that low.

Reactions: 2 users
Personally I think they should have kept the 45 scale. Just broken down PS to be only 8 points and inserted a Soc/Psych section worth 7 points. Physics and Hard Mathematical Chemistry are utterly of no use in medical school.

Though clearly this opinion is due to PS being my lowest score by a lot XD. *

*wasn't that low.

Good idea. I think the whole issue with the scoring is throwing a lot of people off. I remember over in pre-all I think it was efle who talked about how the average applicant to WashU had like a 502 or something... People don't really understand what their new score means I think.

OP, with your GPAs I honestly feel like you have a good chance to land an acceptance, just know that it probably won't be to PCOM, DMU, the Midwesterns or any other school usually talked about as "top." If you want to retake then put all your effort into it and see if you can pull off an MD score.

As is you would get a scholarship if you wanted to go the Pod route, just thought I would throw that out there. It is something I have considered myself in the past so that is why I mention it. But if you really want to be an MD or DO then keep at it, you will get there. Oh and don't worry if anyone says that they have a higher MCAT score than you because that stops mattering starting day 1 of med school.

I recommended other professions because a year set back in a admissions = a year of salary lost. If OP truly feels horribly disappointed, I just gave unsolicited AND UNBIASED and impartial advice that highlighted OTHER POTENTIAL OPTIONS...a less than stellar MCAT score should not define her life!! Her options include, apply now, retake mcat and apply next cycle OR use her mcat and cast her net into other professions too.

We need to step back and ask ourselves, what drew us to health care? We want to help people...and if a low MCAT score held me back, I'd pursue other careers in health care that were willing to give me an opportunity to help people.

In a case by case analysis, one should consider ALL THE OPTIONS. And please, stop talking down to the OP, she's an adult. Please stop promoting decades old gender stereotypes. She's not a little girl. She knew all the possible ramifications, consequences and side effects of a low MCAT score. She's not a pathetic animal gasping for its last few breaths...seriously. You're the one that's mentally unhinged, considering you have to use such poetic language to describe a less than stellar MCAT PERFORMANCE...

BRUH
ae633e0b9a9063818668941ad2825306.jpg
No offense dude, but you sound slightly autistic.

Minsc and Boo stand ready *squeak squeak*

Silence!

Unfortunately no AACOM doesn't give us enough info to know how many of those low MCAT people also had 3.3 GPAs or less. Honestly I would place money on a decent percentage though. The AACOM GPA info is much less transparent than the MCAT info. Basically all it says is that 78% of DO matriculants have between a 3.2-4.0. That range is worthless. An interesting statistic though is that the average sGPA is a 3.43 of matriculants with one SD going all the way down to 3.01!

Another tidbit that baffles me is the 305 people with a sub 2.8 GPA. I know SMP and post bac people can be in that group but still.

Unfortunately no AACOM doesn't give us enough info to know how many of those low MCAT people also had 3.3 GPAs or less. Honestly I would place money on a decent percentage though. The AACOM GPA info is much less transparent than the MCAT info. Basically all it says is that 78% of DO matriculants have between a 3.2-4.0. That range is worthless. An interesting statistic though is that the average sGPA is a 3.43 of matriculants with one SD going all the way down to 3.01!

Another tidbit that baffles me is the 305 people with a sub 2.8 GPA. I know SMP and post bac people can be in that group but still.

Don't forget being offset by high MCAT too. There was someone on these boards last cycle that got accepted to something like two-thirds of DO schools and even an MD with a 2.8 that had a 34 MCAT and a 4.0 SMP IIRC. Also connections matter. I know someone in their 4th year at a DO school who only got accepted because their dad is on the board.

So yes, there is a shot I suppose for the OP. But it's very small. It's much wiser to assume you will be the rule and not the exception that proves the rule.

My friend got an II at Indiana University (and he is OOS) with a 497 two weeks ago. Apply very broadly to MD and DO and you should get something, provided the rest of your application isn't extremely weak.

Last edited:
My friend got an II at Indiana state (and he is OOS) with a 497 two weeks ago. Apply very broadly to MD and DO and you should get something, provided the rest of your application isn't extremely weak.

FYI...Indiana State does not have a medical school. Indiana University does. Median GPA/MCAT there is 3.8/507. 80% of the students are in-state. So if your friend got an II from IU with that MCAT score, he must have something very unique about him since that is an anomaly.

FYI...Indiana State does not have a medical school. Indiana University does. Median GPA/MCAT there is 3.8/507. 80% of the students are in-state. So if your friend got an II from IU with that MCAT score, he must have something very unique about him since that is an anomaly.

Yes I meant Indiana University. Also, he does not have anything more unique than anyone else in all honesty. And he is OOS for IU, non-URM, no ties to Indiana. Fairly average application. 200 or so volunteer hours. Very little research. My point is you never know what is going to happen or who the adcoms will choose. I wouldn't let an MCAT score choose my fate (unless extraordinarily low, say low 490's and under). There's many reasons people get picked. Many other aspects of an app can make up for it. And remember, 507 average means there is just as many people matriculating with 517 as there are with 497 (in theory)

Yes I meant Indiana University. Also, he does not have anything more unique than anyone else in all honesty. And he is OOS for IU, non-URM, no ties to Indiana. Fairly average application. 200 or so volunteer hours. Very little research. My point is you never know what is going to happen or who the adcoms will choose. I wouldn't let an MCAT score choose my fate (unless extraordinarily low, say low 490's and under). There's many reasons people get picked. Many other aspects of an app can make up for it. And remember, 507 average means there is just as many people matriculating with 517 as there are with 497 (in theory)

This is the definition of an outlier.

Is it really a 25? I'm under the impression a 500 = median score = 23-24. But if this is the case, then he's not extremely shot. But lets be entirely frank though, the averages have gone up in the last few years, DO programs are getting influx from MD students who didn't get in to the point that the average in the coming years will likely be closer to a 28-28.5.

But regardless, with a decent gpa and a 25 you should have some luck with a DO LOR and a very broad application though.

The new scoring system was actually created this way so that 500 = 25.

A guy who works at AAMC once told me that they redesigned the scoring system because, according to their research, anyone with a 25 or above had a statistically decent chance of performing well in medical school. The problem is that med schools usually use 30 or so as a cutoff, disqualifying many applicants. AAMC wanted med schools to just give a quick look at the applicant's MCAT score and say "okay, he got above a 25, moving on..." So they made the equivalent score be the easiest number to read: 500. Below 500 bad, above 500 good. They purposely made it slightly confusing to figure out how much better, say, a 510 is than a 508.

Seriously? I never would have considered that. Are you saying that because the DAT is significantly easier?

OP: one word: ROWAN. I would bet they're your best shot.

Yes, they're a "Top Tier" DO school. But
I promise you they WILL consider you with that MCAT, especially with that GPA and being an NJ resident.

Don't apply to CUSOM if you've ever been arrested for ANYTHING. That includes juvenile arrests, expunged charges and arrests where you were not charged. You'll waste your money and they WILL screen you out.
Not true. I got accepted there with a record.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Not true. I got accepted there with a record.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

I had far more than their minimum requirements and they didn't send me a secondary. When I asked why, they explicitly told me that they will not send secondaries to any student with an arrest record. Mine was for a minor infraction from when I was 14 years old (13 years ago) that I wasn't even convicted of. They told me that it's because they're a Christian school. What year were you accepted?

OP: one word: ROWAN. I would bet they're your best shot.

Yes, they're a "Top Tier" DO school. But
I promise you they WILL consider you with that MCAT, especially with that GPA and being an NJ resident.
I just got an II at Rowan!!!! In total shock :soexcited:

Reactions: 10 users
I just got an II at Rowan!!!! In total shock :soexcited:

Told ya :D
A bit of advice...
1) People will tell you it's a "laid back" interview. This is true but misleading. It is laid back, but their standards are higher to compensate. Be ON your game and PRACTICE interviewing, as much as you can. They WILL scrutinize your background.
2) They love a good origin story, and if you've faced hardships, they want to hear it.
3) They will almost certainly ask you about your MCAT. If you didn't do well because you couldn't afford a class, had to take care of family, and studied your hardest in between your responsibilities... TELL THEM SO. They will understand.
4) They might ask you "if you couldn't be a doctor, what would you be?" DO NOT say "researcher." Rowan admissions in particular despises this answer. They want to hear some cool pipe dream of yours that also demonstrates a part of your personality that will help you be a good doctor.
5) Don't forget they are a state school. They love Jersey residents who want to be jersey doctors.
6) Rowan recently had some issues with bullying and rascism. If you have ANYTHING in your past that indicates that you might be a problem in this regard, you need to address it head-on and vigorously!

Told ya :D
A bit of advice...
1) People will tell you it's a "laid back" interview. This is true but misleading. It is laid back, but their standards are higher to compensate. Be ON your game and PRACTICE interviewing, as much as you can. They WILL scrutinize your background.
2) They love a good origin story, and if you've faced hardships, they want to hear it.
3) They will almost certainly ask you about your MCAT. If you didn't do well because you couldn't afford a class, had to take care of family, and studied your hardest in between your responsibilities... TELL THEM SO. They will understand.
4) They might ask you "if you couldn't be a doctor, what would you be?" DO NOT say "researcher." Rowan admissions in particular despises this answer. They want to hear some cool pipe dream of yours that also demonstrates a part of your personality that will help you be a good doctor.
5) Don't forget they are a state school. They love Jersey residents who want to be jersey doctors.
6) Rowan recently had some issues with bullying and rascism. If you have ANYTHING in your past that indicates that you might be a problem in this regard, you need to address it head-on and vigorously!
I can't begin to tell you how helpful this is. THANK YOU!! Did you interview there? [And thanks for the congrats!! I'm in disbelief! :heckyeah:]

I can't begin to tell you how helpful this is. THANK YOU!! Did you interview there? [And thanks for the congrats!! I'm in disbelief! :heckyeah:]

Interviewed, waitlisted, went elsewhere. But in the meantime I spent WAY to much time with their admissions department.

I'm really rooting for you. Rowan's a really great place and I'm hope you end up there.

Interviewed, waitlisted, went elsewhere. But in the meantime I spent WAY to much time with their admissions department.

I'm really rooting for you. Rowan's a really great place and I'm hope you end up there.
Thank you!! I'm nervous to be hopeful but we'll see!

Accepted at Rowan SOM!!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone! :clap::banana:

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted at Rowan SOM!!!! Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone! :clap::banana:

I just read all 100 comments on this thread and seeing you get accepted gave me hope! So just wanted to say thanks for that and congrats! Oh btw, did you end up retaking the mcat or simply applying with the 499?

I just read all 100 comments on this thread and seeing you get accepted gave me hope! So just wanted to say thanks for that and congrats! Oh btw, did you end up retaking the mcat or simply applying with the 499?
Great, so glad that it was encouraging to you! I did not retake it; Rowan accepted me with the 499. I'd be happy to talk to you more about my experience - feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 3 users
Great, so glad that it was encouraging to you! I did not retake it; Rowan accepted me with the 499. I'd be happy to talk to you more about my experience - feel free to PM me.
Congrats on the acceptance. Hopefully people will start to realize that a sub 500 MCAT isn't a death sentence everywhere. 498-499 can still get many people into DO schools as long as their GPA's are solid.

Congrats OP. I was one of the voices of pessimism in this thread. I'm very happy to have been proven wrong.

I just read through everything and I felt so happy reading OP get the II then the acceptance. :) Congrats.