If I withdrew from Ross, would I be able to reapply as a first semester student at SABA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was that OSCE like six months ago? Because it's been going on at least that long.
images

seriously... go for a run or bike ride or something. It's unseasonably warm in 2/3rds of the country today.
I have a feeling that you are a psychiatrist!

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually consider PA/NP. However, I have no idea where to start. I always focused on being a doctor that I never thought about going into allied healthcare. If you can, PM me with any advice! Instant karma points!

If you go the mid-level route, please strongly consider the PA route before NP. The direct entry NP programs just seem like a terrible idea. It's an embarrassment to the nursing profession. PA education seems much more solid, and difference in quality is greatly exacerbated when becoming an NP w/o strong RN experience. I know multiple RNs that went thru a dual NP/PA program and all said they wouldn't even bother with the NP portion if doing it again. Even with RN experience, if I weren't pursing the MD route I would opt for PA over NP. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Carib med students saying they're on par with US med students is like saying the CFL is on par with the NFL. Maybe one player makes it into the big league from canada but dont schedule the alouettes vs the panthers cause that **** wont look pretty.

I'm trying to hold back on making a joke about DOs being the CFL and considering themselves superior because MDs don't have the Rouge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to hold back on making a joke about DOs being the CFL and considering themselves superior because MDs don't have the Rouge.

But.... You couldn't.

Try and tell me that the NFL doesn't need awesomeness like this...

(I had forgotten that Marc Trestman was involved in this)

Reactions: 1 users
Try and tell me that the NFL doesn't need awesomeness like this...

(I had forgotten that Marc Trestman was involved in this)

I didn't know that was a thing.

It's made even better by all the times they said "ooot"

If you go the mid-level route, please strongly consider the PA route before NP. The direct entry NP programs just seem like a terrible idea. It's an embarrassment to the nursing profession. PA education seems much more solid, and difference in quality is greatly exacerbated when becoming an NP w/o strong RN experience. I know multiple RNs that went thru a dual NP/PA program and all said they wouldn't even bother with the NP portion if doing it again. Even with RN experience, if I weren't pursing the MD route I would opt for PA over NP. Good luck!

Dual NP/PA program? That's like being a dual MD/DO. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

This. Yes.
You're pretty condescending for a mighty AMG who, with all the privilege and opportunity that that affords, didn't match last year. >2000 vastly inferior US-IMGs last year were able to do something you couldn't, find a residency program that would take them.

Maybe over the rest of your non-voluntary year off you should work on your humility.

Reactions: 3 users
You're pretty condescending for a mighty AMG who, with all the privilege and opportunity that that affords, didn't match last year. >2000 vastly inferior US-IMGs last year were able to do something you couldn't, find a residency program that would take them.

Maybe over the rest of your non-voluntary year off you should work on your humility.

shocked_donna_doctor.gif

Reactions: 11 users
Carib med students saying they're on par with US med students is like saying the CFL is on par with the NFL. Maybe one player makes it into the big league from canada but dont schedule the alouettes vs the panthers cause that **** wont look pretty.

I'd actually pay to see that game. I mean have there ever been any professional football games with a three digit margin of victory?

Members don't see this ad :)

Damn ouch

Reactions: 4 users
Are there actually carib students who did not apply under an incomplete understanding of risks involved? Such an expensive mistake for a moment of oversight...

There are some 3-year NP programs out there and they are not too difficult to get into... Basically, they give you a BSN after year 1 and you do the NP in the last two year... PM me if you have more questions!

Hey W19,

Would a NP or PA school really accept him after essentially failing out of a Carb school? I know NP/PA is way less competitve to get into than med but they are still pretty competitve right?

Hey W19,

Would a NP or PA school really accept him after essentially failing out of a Carb school? I know NP/PA is way less competitve to get into than med but they are still pretty competitve right?
Getting accepted into NP school is extremely easy with all the online programs that are popping up everywhere.... PA might be hard though.

Last edited:
Hey W19,

PA school can be pretty competitive to gain acceptance. You almost certainly only need a pulse and a checking account to get into NP school.

Reactions: 5 users
PA school can be pretty competitive to gain acceptance. You almost certainly only need a pulse and a checking account to get into NP school.

LAwll wut? I know nothing about NP but I REALLY hope you are wrong. Doesn't the cream of the crop from the ugrad RN group go onto NP/crna/etc?

Ok so like I said I know nothing about NP. Can someone just fail out of med school and still get into NP? Is there anyway you could provide evidence for this or are you just taking a guess?

Even though idk anything about NP schooling, I've met a couple of NPs that seemed reasonable smart. One was in general surgery and she deff seemed to know what she was doing to help the surgeon. How do you know that NP school is so easy to get into? Also if it is so easy to get into then why don't all RNs just go onto become NPs? --not trying to suggest that you dont know what you're talking about...Im genuinely asking

It's easy to get into community college but the best people seem to go to the ivy league for some reason

Ok so like I said I know nothing about NP. Can someone just fail out of med school and still get into NP? Is there anyway you could provide evidence for this or are you just taking a guess?
Yessssssssssss... The majority of NP schools do not have rigorous admission standards... If you can sign your name in the doted line (tuition money), you are in.

Even though idk anything about NP schooling, I've met a couple of NPs that seemed reasonable smart. One was in general surgery and she deff seemed to know what she was doing to help the surgeon. How do you know that NP school is so easy to get into? Also if it is so easy to get into then why don't all RNs just go onto become NPs? --not trying to suggest that you dont know what you're talking about...Im genuinely asking

A lot of nurses these days go on to become NPs. I don't have a percentage but t seems like most nurses I talk to are either in school or planning to go back to school

Reasons why not all Nurses go to NP school
- some don't have a bachelor degree
- some hate school and barely go through undergrad
- some are lazy
- kids/social reasons
- money
- nurses can earn 60-70k after some years of experience. Those who go into management probably make more. So why would they go on to become an NP and make 80k?
- some enjoy the job or have a good gig

So, plenty of nurses just don't want to go back to school. Not because admission criteria are tough.

I think CRNA is a little more selective and has less programs. Total speculation here

I am usually baffled when you guys on here think people go to the Caribbean schools to joke there and get diploma handed to them. I am an SGU student and most of the students I see around are freaking smart and hardworking. Those who don't work hard just don't make it. SGU gave me a 2nd chance to work my ass off and get to where I want to be. Even if I end up not matching, I will still be proud of myself for not giving up.

Reactions: 4 users
I am usually baffled when you guys on here think people go to the Caribbean schools to joke there and get diploma handed to them. I am an SGU student and most of the students I see around are freaking smart and hardworking. Those who don't work hard just don't make it. SGU gave me a 2nd chance to work my ass off and get to where I want to be. Even if I end up not matching, I will still be proud of myself for not giving up.

We talk **** on them because it's a death trap for the majority of people who go there. Your subjective view of how hard it is or the people who go there doesn't change that.

It's kind of like playing russian roulette but with 4 bullets in the gun.

And the gun isn't a revolver.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your reason to not go the DO route?

SDNers don't think Caribbean students joke around and get diplomas handed to them. Rather, the admission is relatively easy (ie anyone can get in somewhere in the Caribbean) and that those who finish, usually have a hard time matching into residency.

I agree with you otherwise, those going to the Caribbean and make it through usually work the tail off and the ones I know have a little PTSD from it...

At the end of the day its only about the step score. There are people who graduate island schools and score higher on the step than people who go to US medical schools.

At the end of the day its only about the step score. There are people who graduate island schools and score higher on the step than people who go to US medical schools.

Yep, all that matters is the Step. And those higher scores mean that they don't have to apply to hundreds of programs in the hope of matching somewhere that the US grad with a lower score wouldn't even sniff at.

Oh wait...

Yep, all that matters is the Step. And those higher scores mean that they don't have to apply to hundreds of programs in the hope of matching somewhere that the US grad with a lower score wouldn't even sniff at.

Oh wait...
I dont understand why you would give preference to the person who went to a US medical school if they had a lower score. I can see giving preference to US citizens though. That makes sense

I don't know why people believe just because they went to school mainland residency will be easily handed to them even with low step score. I found it rather insulting and prideful when people on here thinks we not working our ass off. Sgu acceptance average is comparable to DO average and people there are freaking smart

I dont understand why you would give preference to the person who went to a US medical school if they had a lower score. I can see giving preference to US citizens though. That makes sense

And it's this alarming lack of insight that dooms many a Caribbean Med student.

There are many other factors at play. Perhaps chief among them are the fairly reliable clinical education US medical students receive contrasted with the often unpredictable/unsatisfactory clinical education provided by the hospitals-for-hire which host Caribbean students.

(As an aside, with the amount of time many Caribbean students are given to study for Step I, I would hope that many would be scoring fairly high)

There are many other factors at play. Perhaps chief among them are the fairly reliable clinical education US medical students receive contrasted with the often unpredictable/unsatisfactory clinical education provided by the hospitals-for-hire which host Caribbean students.

(As an aside, with the amount of time many Caribbean students are given to study for Step I, I would hope that many would be scoring fairly high)
Youre forgetting that US medical school give their students summers off but some caribbean med schools dont have summer breaks. So actually US medical students are given much more time to study for the step.

I don't know why people believe just because they went to school mainland residency will be easily handed to them even with low step score. I found it rather insulting and prideful when people on here thinks we not working our ass off. Sgu acceptance average is comparable to DO average and people there are freaking smart

If they were smart they wouldve gone to a DO school instead

(As an aside, with the amount of time many Caribbean students are given to study for Step I, I would hope that many would be scoring fairly high)[/QUOTE
All am asking is for people to treat fellow med students in the Caribbean with respect. We study same **** and work as hard as everyone else. If you are favored for residency spot, good for you but we work as hard as y'all.

Youre forgetting that US medical school give their students summers off but some caribbean med schools dont have summer breaks. So actually US medical students are given much more time to study for the step.

No.

Because as you fail to realize, scores aren't everything. Search around for the differential diagnosis of those who go Caribbean- things like inability to delay gratification and poor judgment top the list. I'd rather have an intern with lower scores and no obvious proof of having those characteristics, than someone with higher scores and any one of them. And I'm not the only person involved in residency selection who feels that way. Sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
Because as you fail to realize, scores aren't everything. Search around for the differential diagnosis of those who go Caribbean- things like inability to delay gratification and poor judgment top the list. I'd rather have an intern with lower scores and no obvious proof of having those characteristics, than someone with higher scores and any one of them. And I'm not the only person involved in residency selection who feels that way. Sorry.
Those are personality traits that should be determined on an individual basis. You are prejudice. You cant just place those characteristics on all people who go to those schools. That is very unfair.
Dont be sorry to me. This is something that you should take up with your own moral compass

In a nut shell, there are ridiculously very bad Caribbean schools but there are very good ones like sgu and Ross. Most people who got sgu including myself could got into DO but sorry I didn't like DO. I may be dumb for not going DO but I would still choose sgu anyday. I do not regret my decision. Y'all keep getting salty as I study my ass off, work hard and compete for your residency spot. Am done with this ridiculous site.

In a nut shell, there are ridiculously very bad Caribbean schools but there are very good ones like sgu and Ross. Most people who got sgu including myself could got into DO but sorry I didn't like DO. I may be dumb for not going DO but I would still choose sgu anyday. I do not regret my decision. Y'all keep getting salty as I study my ass off, work hard and compete for your residency spot. Am done with this ridiculous site.

You can do whatever you like, it really makes no difference to us. I have no skin in the DO vs carib game but it was a bad decision. "Don't like DO" makes it obvious where your priorities are and when a ton of your classmates dont match we are just tired of hearing you whine about it.

Reactions: 8 users