If money wasn't an issue, would NYU still be a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalschool_CAD

Reaction score
I understand that a lot of people like to hate on NYU and the reason they give is the cost. What if the cost was not an important factor for someone, would NYU be a good choice? Or is the school itself just not a great dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that a lot of people like to hate on NYU and the reason they give is the cost. What if the cost was not an important factor for someone, would NYU be a good choice? Or is the school itself just not a great dental school?
do you have other choices?

My other choices are Touro, NYU, IU, UNE, and Louisville. I think I am leaning toward IU but NYU sounded promising when I was first applying. I saw a lot of people talking about NYU recently so was curious to see what the talk was mainly about (cost or something else).

Members don't see this ad :)
My other choices are Touro, NYU, IU, UNE, and Louisville. I think I am leaning toward IU but NYU sounded promising when I was first applying. I saw a lot of people talking about NYU recently so was curious to see what the talk was mainly about (cost or something else).
go to IU...

Sorry if this wasn't clear. This wasn't about which school I should pick. Wanted to hear if there are reasons other than cost that deter people from NYU.
check to see how many students there are at matriculation
ask about how many people repeat classes/years or drop/kicked out
check to see how many international dentists are added to the class during second/third year
ask yourself if you would want to go to this school over another that doesn't have those issues...

Reactions: 3 users
I believe if you attend NYU and want to practice in the state (knowing money isn’t an issue), you might need to do a residency in order to practice in New York if you plan to stay there. I would also look into that too.

Agreed with macsak above, NYU has something like 300 people per class if I recall correctly. That's A LOT of students in that school all needing requirements and patients. Yes there are a lot of people in New York, but just the sheer amount of people taking different procedures from you would make me anxious. Plus, you have to like living in New York. That can be a negative as to why one wouldn't want to go there. Personally, I cannot stand New York and LA, so I just would have never applied to those schools in the first place. To each their own.

Reactions: 2 users
I believe if you attend NYU and want to practice in the state (knowing money isn’t an issue), you might need to do a residency in order to practice in New York if you plan to stay there. I would also look into that too.
not might need to
will have to

No. Even if money was not an issue, I would suggest you attend somewhere else.

NYU is very disorganized, changes to curriculum can happen very last minute, without notice. They do not care about their students mental health or wellbeing. When you are “risk of failing” they will threaten you, rather than help you succeed. You can bring up issues to admin all you want, but they will not care, nothing will change.

The only “selling point” I feel that NYU has is the exposure to clinical experience. Yes NYU is in NY and you will see a lot of patients, but ever since covid happened- things have changed. D3 and D4s are now paired up. And it seems to be a permanent change. D4s are primary provider while D3s are “secondary”. If you’re lucky you’ll get paired up with a D4 who is nice enough to let you do something. If not you’re basically an assistant. So if you really think about, you’re only getting 1 year of experience being primary provider. (But when you’re a D4 you’ll get a D3 partner) And some people might like that, but to most people, not being able to experience being independent is a big flaw. Your education and experience is dictated by the D4 you’re paired up with. You will end up doing assistant work and/or any procedures your D4 doesn’t want to do like prophys and SRP.

Reactions: 1 user
400 students, plus an AEGD, plus all specialty programs (all with very large classes when compared to specialty average). Means you wont be able to do much of anything. I would not go there even if it was cheap.

I know a couple of people who graduated from NYU. Aside from the cost they don't even recommend people to go there. Large class size, disorganized clinic schedule, etc.

D4s are primary provider while D3s are “secondary”. If you’re lucky you’ll get paired up with a D4 who is nice enough to let you do something. If not you’re basically an assistant. So if you really think about, you’re only getting 1 year of experience being primary provider. (But when you’re a D4 you’ll get a D3 partner) And some people might like that, but to most people, not being able to experience being independent is a big flaw. Your education and experience is dictated by the D4 you’re paired up with. You will end up doing assistant work and/or any procedures your D4 doesn’t want to do like prophys and SRP.
This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. I’d be pissed if I went to NYU.

Reactions: 3 users
A rap on a lot of Dental Schools is the new graduates come out without a lot of experience/confidence. This pairing thing I just read about is next level. It runs counter to being able to say , "Well I paid a lot of tuition but I came out with a lot of experience and competency". I truly don't know a lot about NYU other than what I just read above(over 20 years of stories like that). But if you have to take full student loans for that. Don't go. I think they can sort of get away with this with the GPR requirement. Ouch.

Last edited:
No. Even if money was not an issue, I would suggest you attend somewhere else.

NYU is very disorganized, changes to curriculum can happen very last minute, without notice. They do not care about their students mental health or wellbeing. When you are “risk of failing” they will threaten you, rather than help you succeed. You can bring up issues to admin all you want, but they will not care, nothing will change.

The only “selling point” I feel that NYU has is the exposure to clinical experience. Yes NYU is in NY and you will see a lot of patients, but ever since covid happened- things have changed. D3 and D4s are now paired up. And it seems to be a permanent change. D4s are primary provider while D3s are “secondary”. If you’re lucky you’ll get paired up with a D4 who is nice enough to let you do something. If not you’re basically an assistant. So if you really think about, you’re only getting 1 year of experience being primary provider. (But when you’re a D4 you’ll get a D3 partner) And some people might like that, but to most people, not being able to experience being independent is a big flaw. Your education and experience is dictated by the D4 you’re paired up with. You will end up doing assistant work and/or any procedures your D4 doesn’t want to do like prophys and SRP.
midwestern does d3/d4 pairing but seem to be very strong clinically