If my husband and I have a lot of saving because we plan to buy house this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know....saving up 300K cash for a house is pretty much a classic immigrant thing to do due to distrust of the financing system or lack of knowledge. Also the fact that the OP doesn't understand the concept of a down payment seems to confirm that.

In regards to the transfer of money to your parents, that would be a stupid thing to do in the first place because it will be subject to a gift tax. You'll also have to report that money to the IRS when you move it over to your parent's account because it's such a large amount of money, so you can be sure they'll know about it.

This.

The whole thread is ridiculous. I'm considering reporting this thread to FAFSA just to make sure this individual isn't able to game the system like their clearly trying to do. This is the kind of crap that is ruining our country.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand taht, just not settled down in one place, no timd to look for house. We are wrong to be thrifty. Can anyone delete the tbread? Please. Should use a new account.

There is nothing wrong with being thrifty. No one here is saying that. We are just saying that you have been fortunate enough to have enough money that you won't qualify for need based aid. That money is reserved for people that, no matter how thrifty they are, could never have 300k saved up in the bank.

I will not game the system. Please delete the thread.
This.

The whole thread is ridiculous. I'm considering reporting this thread to FAFSA just to make sure this individual isn't able to game the system like their clearly trying to do. This is the kind of crap that is ruining our country.

I think you had better use some of that $300,000 to get the SDN "gold" member ship so you can delete a thread.

Don't you believe because of some welfare system, a lot of Americans are not working even though they could
This thread is getting funnier by the minute. Zing!

I think you had better use some of that $300,000 to get the SDN "gold" member ship so you can delete a thread.

:laugh:

Huihui, the only way to delete this thread is to cough up some of that down payment money and splurge on a donor membership. And to your benefit, you can write it off on the taxes that you're probably not going to file next year :smuggrin:

This.

Yea. Some people don't get that some people actually struggle. A co-worker of my wife once said when talking about struggling "I remember when I used to live in a 2000 sq. ft. home". I guess that was struggling compared to his now 6k sq ft home. The disconnect with some people is amazing sometimes.

Don't you believe because of some welfare system, a lot of Americans are not working even though they could

Yes. But you are asking to be part of said welfare system...wait...WTF am I doing replying!!!

troll-thread-posting-Q4fxLt.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Huihui, you make me sick. Some of us are struggling to get by and have a lot in undergrad loans that we're trying to pay off, all the while trying to afford rent and groceries for the month. For us, the only way to get through medical school is with government loans. You have $300,000 to your name and you have the nerve, the audacity, to say that you should receive need-based aid?!?!?!?! If you're that out-of-touch with reality, you certainly shouldn't become a physician.

Last edited:

According to the recent NPR story about disability, yes. But this is not relevant to your situation.

Bottom line: Honesty is the best policy. You are attempting to enter a highly respected profession. Be worthy of that.

If you were worthy, you'd get a merit based grant. You're not, so you pay.
That's the system.
Please don't delete this thread. It's a gem. BTW, you could actually give your parents the $300k without paying a gift tax on it, but they might not be able to give it back depending on their tax history. Though I wouldn't recommend doing that to try to get need based aid.

Hi guys. I apologize for my ugly thought. honest is the best policy. learned the lesson.
I want to say that I know there are people in real life who cheated and they will not post stupid post on the internet.

Hi guys. I apologize for my ugly thought. honest is the best policy. learned the lesson.
I want to say that I know there are people in real life who cheated and they will not post stupid post on the internet.

I wonder how naixin posted the same text and then deleted it. Methinks somebody forgot which username they were using; the problem with juggling multiple users. Honest is best policy, and whatnot.

I wonder how naixin posted the same text and then deleted it. Methinks somebody forgot which username they were using; the problem with juggling multiple users. Honest is best policy, and whatnot.

:laugh: this thread just keeps getting better

It's It's in a high-cost area. 100k is not enough

$100K is not enough for a down payment? Assuming a typical 5% down, you need a house worth more than two million dollars just to get through medical school? Oh man, what I would give to be your real estate broker and take my 6% commission on that sale. It would pay for my own medical education!

The housing market is very competitive in the area I am looking for, so if you do not make make 25-30% down payment, you are unlikely to get a house because a lot of people can pay more. This is what I heard from several real estate brokers in that area. But may be they are just telling me the wrong thing.
$100K is not enough for a down payment? Assuming a typical 5% down, you need a house worth more than two million dollars just to get through medical school? Oh man, what I would give to be your real estate broker and take my 6% commission on that sale. It would pay for my own medical education!

Last edited:
x

Last edited:

Naixin just didn't have the patience to switch names.

This.

I'm pretty sure the OP is about to get backtraced right now. Dires is probably informing the FBI as we speak.

Huihui, you're goin down!

x

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the OP is about to get backtraced right now. Dires is probably informing the FBI as we speak.

Huihui, you're goin down!

With all the evidence I have reported both accounts to the inspector general.

With all the evidence I have reported both accounts to the inspector general.

Just contact all the schools from the school-specific threads the users have posted under and tell their financial aid offices to be on the lookout for a married woman who has a tenuous grasp on the English language inquiring about financial aid.

Just contact all the schools from the school-specific threads the users have posted under and tell their financial aid offices to be on the lookout for a married woman who has a tenuous grasp on the English language inquiring about financial aid.

Checkmate.

I apologized for what I've said. but I do not intend to cheat.

Last edited:
'Thanks. I heard that too. We have a lot , about 300k so 20 k wil not have too much effect.
actually our income is not high, only about 100k/y now, much less before, but we are really thrifty. sign.

Props for saving, but lol @ the bolded. The average household in this country makes around 50k usually with two income earners. My parents who are 50 would kill for 100k household income(its around 70k), and they live in a high COL area. And to be honest, even that is a lot of money if you only buy what you need(which my parents fail miserably at). Im sorry but I dont think need based grants and scholarships were created with your situation in mind. You will certainly get as much in loans as you need and with 300k saved you should be able to make everything work and keep loans to a minimum especially if your significant other is able to work.

Ohh this one is my favorite. Lord help you if you ever have patients who live in poverty from cradle to grave. A future compassionate doctor, ladies and gentlemen! She wants subsidized loans for medical school paid for by the taxes which you pay on your 35K/year income, even though she has 300K in the bank. Hilarious.

Ohh this one is my favorite. Lord help you if you ever have patients who live in poverty from cradle to grave. A future compassionate doctor, ladies and gentlemen! She wants subsidized loans for medical school paid for by the taxes which you pay on your 35K/year income, even though she has 300K in the bank. Hilarious.

Yeah, the amount of irony in the post you quoted is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.