if not Gas....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oslersghost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

If anesthesia was abolished.........what would you have opted for as a career?
Or what other programs other than gas did you apply........explanation of why would be nice.......

graci

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I would want to fly one of these:

F-22%20Head%20On%20Over%20Southern%20California.gif

militarymd said:
I would want to fly one of these:

F-22%20Head%20On%20Over%20Southern%20California.gif

Interventional rads.

Of course my first pick would echo Mil's post above but that'd never be possible since I don't have 20/20.

Members don't see this ad :)
jetproppilot said:
Interventional rads.

Of course my first pick would echo Mil's post above but that'd never be possible since I don't have 20/20.

I've wondered about that. If you get lasik done, and happen to end up with 20/20, does that satisfy that criterion?

Anyhow, I like procedures, medicines, and hate clinics, so maybe ER... thank god for anesthesiology!!

jetproppilot said:
Interventional rads.

I can get you some 20/20

Attachments

• md_bling.jpg
    md_bling.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 81
When I got asked this question during interviews, I said, "If I couldn't do anesthesiology, then I'd pick surgery and a critical care fellowship; if not that, then I did briefly consider EM. And if I couldn't do
that, then I'd be an engineer." Seemed to clear that question okay. One person did ask me exactly how seriously I considered surgery, then left it after that. :)

I probably would've done ENT and tried to force my way into some kind of surgical critical care fellowship. I think IR also would've been great, but I don't think I could've gotten thru the rads residency, sitting in all those dark rooms and reading all those physics texts.

Most likely this:

I kinda wanna be a paintbrush... if thats a reasonable alternative to anesthesia

Oslersghost said:
Guys,

If anesthesia was abolished.........what would you have opted for as a career?
:

A wise college professor shared this wisdom one day: pretend you've just won the lottery. You have complete financial independence and security for the rest of your life.

You take 6 months to travel/party/shop. Then you wake up one day, realizing you have xxx healthy years/decades yet to go, and you need something worthwhile, stimulating, challenging, and rewarding to get you out of bed in the morning. Based on your personal interests and desires, what activity do you see yourself doing (where the size of the paycheck is totally irrelevant).

After you've figured out what activity you'd involve yourself with, see if you can turn that into a paying job in the real world.

Hmm...watching rerun after rerun of SportsCenter...how can I turn that into a paying job? :)

lvspro said:
I've wondered about that. If you get lasik done, and happen to end up with 20/20, does that satisfy that criterion?

Anyhow, I like procedures, medicines, and hate clinics, so maybe ER... thank god for anesthesiology!!

Short answer...no. Last I heard, the Coast Guard won't allow you to even enlist (any job--not even outside the aviation field) if you've had LASIK. The remainder of the services are giving a limited number of waivers to people who've had surgery that want jobs that require a class one flight physical. I think the Navy is only giving waivers for PRK. The Army seems to be the most lenient about vision reqs (for their warrant officer flight trainees anyways).

canjosh said:
Short answer...no. Last I heard, the Coast Guard won't allow you to even enlist (any job--not even outside the aviation field) if you've had LASIK. The remainder of the services are giving a limited number of waivers to people who've had surgery that want jobs that require a class one flight physical. I think the Navy is only giving waivers for PRK. The Army seems to be the most lenient about vision reqs (for their warrant officer flight trainees anyways).

Is there any way for someone to tell if you've had LASIK surgery or not? I would think it's nearly impossible to tell?

I think I would be a medical examiner.
Doing my path rotation right now and I find it pretty cool stuff.

This would be my dream job.

Attachments

• A-Drew_Billington-kirkwood.jpg
    A-Drew_Billington-kirkwood.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 65