If you are a premed, please read this!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuakerJack

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical school costs are rising and resident salaries are the same. Unless you have external help, the burden of going to medical school financially is much more than it was even 10-20 years ago and it looks to be getting worse.

Like most of you, I was 22 years-old deciding to go into medicine too. I have been in your shoes. What you want as a 22 year-old is not the same as when you're 40 and have a family, kids, and possibility sick parents you need to support. Please consider this.

I still would do it all over again but please don't do it for the money. It's not worth it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
It's always good advice to say "don't go into for the money." I don't think this paints an accurate picture though; yes, resident salaries are relatively meek compared to rising tuition costs, but attendings' salaries are much better than, say, ~$50,000 per year. I don't have time to look at their change in salary over time, but that'd be interesting.

However, you are right in that having support is very helpful. My parents have helped pay for everything so far (MCAT resources [>$1,000], primary and secondary app fees [>$1,500]), and without their help I would have definitely been in a much worse position, financially and probably academically, than I am now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school costs are rising and resident salaries are the same. Unless you have external help, the burden of going to medical school financially is much more than it was even 10-20 years ago and it looks to be getting worse.

Like most of you, I was 22 years-old deciding to go into medicine too. I have been in your shoes. What you want as a 22 year-old is not the same as when you're 40 and have a family, kids, and possibility sick parents you need to support. Please consider this.

I still would do it all over again but please don't do it for the money. It's not worth it!

I like this post a lot. Just yesterday, my fiancé, who will graduate with a BSN the same semester I get my BS, and I were tentatively working out when my proposed career path would financially overtake her career path. Our rough estimates concluded that it would take between 15 and 25 years, depending on specialty, before the income of a doctor overcame the income of a nurse. This just adds credence of not pursuing medicine solely for fincacial reasons. Become an engineer if you are only after the cash.

Reactions: 1 user
I like this post a lot. Just yesterday, my fiancé, who will graduate with a BSN the same semester I get my BS, and I were tentatively working out when my proposed career path would financially overtake her career path. Our rough estimates concluded that it would take between 15 and 25 years, depending on specialty, before the income of a doctor overcame the income of a nurse. This just adds credence of not pursuing medicine solely for fincacial reasons. Become an engineer if you are only after the cash.

100% agree don't do medicine for money but I think there are easier ways than engineering, personally. While engineering is currently booming, few professions besides medicine have the financial upside and great job security in pretty much any economy. I don't know much about engineering but I've heard lately that the future of engineering is very worried about a lot of things being outsourced (via a professor I know). Very anecdotal but I've heard it multiple times from my engineering friends.

I was working in airline management prior to medical school. I was making ~$50,000 at both airlines. I was pretty restricted as to what I could do with that salary. Now, in my department, you often had people that spent their entire lives there. Maybe by retirement, they were up to $100,000 maximum per year. Either way, whether I was a fresh out of college recruit or on the cusp of retirement, I would be very limited as to what I can afford in life.

As a physician, you are guaranteed a good salary. Even primary care should yield you at least $150,000. Plus, you can always do income-based repayment plans for your student loans. It will make life a lot more manageable.

Another thing I see on SDN is people assuming that putting the same amount of effort into entrepreneurship as medical school will make you a guaranteed millionaire. This is definitely not the case. Lots of people dream big in the business world, and fall short. I know lots of people that went to top schools that are often working analyst positions and making less than $100k. Not everyone is going to have an easy path into careers like consulting or investment banking either.

Anyway, everyone has their own reasons for pursuing medicine. As long as they do their work efficiently and to the best of their abilities, it is not our place to judge. As for me, I find that working with people on a daily basis and helping to address their problems is far more fulfilling than crunching numbers day in and day out.

Reactions: 6 users
It really depends what specific career in medicine you end up pursuing and how much med school is going to cost you. Paying sticker price to go to a private school, then going into primary care in a major city, yeah that math doesn't come out very favorably. Going to your state program or getting a big aid package and then specializing in certain areas and having certain kinds of practices, on the other hand, will leave you with a lot more $ to work with than your college pals that went straight into the workforce. Even the engineers and consultants are not going to come anywhere close.

Reactions: 9 users
It's America, bro.

You can do it for the money if you want.

You decide your reasons, let everyone se decide theirs.

Resident wages aren't what matters.
I have 240K in debt. I'll have it paid off in 10 years. I live well.

Reactions: 1 users

Don't do it for the money? Still have 3 reasons left.

Reactions: 5 users
Part of the point is that medical schools are looking for "altruistic" pre-meds who are working for the greater good. I understand that and totally agree with recruiting those types of students. We need doctors to serve the underserved. But when medical schools start making lots of money off of students (increased tuition, flat resident pay, expensive board exams), it feels a bit hypocritical.

I'm a resident. I say these things not to discourage you from going into medicine, but so you realize the reality of medicine. It is a business and the medical education complex is also a business which takes advantage of residents. We put up with it for the promise of a better life as an attending, but I don't think it should be that way.

I'm a resident.

No you're not. Stop misrepresenting yourself and lying. You clearly said that you had a fiancé and she was getting her BSN the same time as you were going to get your BS. So I am calling BS on you.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you're not. Stop misrepresenting yourself and lying. You clearly said that you had a fiancé and she was getting her BSN the same time as you were going to get your BS. So I am calling BS on you.

It wasn't DrQuakerJack that made that statement. It was joschar.

Reactions: 4 users
It is absolutely a business. Who the hell doesn't know that? You pay them money to teach you.

It's always good advice to say "don't go into for the money." I don't think this paints an accurate picture though; yes, resident salaries are relatively meek compared to rising tuition costs, but attendings' salaries are much better than, say, ~$50,000 per year. I don't have time to look at their change in salary over time, but that'd be interesting.

However, you are right in that having support is very helpful. My parents have helped pay for everything so far (MCAT resources [>$1,000], primary and secondary app fees [>$1,500]), and without their help I would have definitely been in a much worse position, financially and probably academically, than I am now.

In 1990, the average physician salary was $164k/year. Varied by specialty, but FM and peds were around $100k. Today you can double it for both specialties. Meanwhile, medical education costs have gone from $20k to over $120, a 6x increase compared to the 2x increase of attending salary. Even more relevant than actual cost of education, is average debt level. In 1992, the average debt was around $25k, today it's around $200k, almost a 10x increase. So yes, the financial outlook of future physicians is far worse than it was and is only getting worse. Link for 1990's salaries: Average Doctor's Salary Rises To $164,300

I was working in airline management prior to medical school. I was making ~$50,000 at both airlines. I was pretty restricted as to what I could do with that salary. Now, in my department, you often had people that spent their entire lives there. Maybe by retirement, they were up to $100,000 maximum per year. Either way, whether I was a fresh out of college recruit or on the cusp of retirement, I would be very limited as to what I can afford in life.

As a physician, you are guaranteed a good salary. Even primary care should yield you at least $150,000. Plus, you can always do income-based repayment plans for your student loans. It will make life a lot more manageable.

Another thing I see on SDN is people assuming that putting the same amount of effort into entrepreneurship as medical school will make you a guaranteed millionaire. This is definitely not the case. Lots of people dream big in the business world, and fall short. I know lots of people that went to top schools that are often working analyst positions and making less than $100k. Not everyone is going to have an easy path into careers like consulting or investment banking either.

Anyway, everyone has their own reasons for pursuing medicine. As long as they do their work efficiently and to the best of their abilities, it is not our place to judge. As for me, I find that working with people on a daily basis and helping to address their problems is far more fulfilling than crunching numbers day in and day out.

To the bolded, I would not rely on PSLF, IBR, or any particular repayment plans which offer significant forgiveness to continue. These plans were never meant to help physicians, and there have been several plans proposed since Obama took office to decrease our ability to utilize these plans.

While there are few careers out there that offer the salary and job security of being a physician, we also need to realize that there is very, very significant delays to that gratification and our workload is typically much higher. When you compare a physician's salary with debt and cost of living, docs will fall far behind most careers until their 40's or 50's (assuming they go straight through school) in terms of their total accrued earnings. Here's a sample chart comparing a doc's salary to a 60k/year salary, granted it's not the best but shows the trends decently:
doctor_income_chart2.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I am going into this with the idea that I would be perfectly happy to service a small town in the middle of nowhere Kansas, and I actually would.
Maybe I could even be the town sheriff!

I really don't care about money, nor do I aspire to be a famous cardiologist who lives in NYC

Nah..

For kicks - I used the salary of a consultant (not me) but did incorporate the rural family med student loan forgiveness/payment plan so there is no debt. I also included COA at 2.5%.

I plan on 15 - 18 years; then teaching if I'm able. So the difference is only 1/2 mil but the satisfaction? Infinite.

VKQJgYv.png

Time to light this thread on fire: Why aren't we paying residents as much as PAs or NPs? Queue the trolls and sour attendings/physicians.

Time to light this thread on fire: Why aren't we paying residents as much as PAs or NPs? Queue the trolls and sour attendings/physicians.

A few of the current residents actually had great thoughts on this and why residents aren't paid as much. I'll see if I can find the thread, but it basically boiled down to the fact that residents are essentially still students who are learning to be whatever their specialty is, while mid-levels have completed their training and theoretically are now utilizing their full scope of practice and are saving the hospital money.

For kicks - I used the salary of a consultant (not me) but did incorporate the rural family med student loan forgiveness/payment plan so there is no debt. I also included COA at 2.5%.

I plan on 15 - 18 years; then teaching if I'm able. So the difference is only 1/2 mil but the satisfaction? Infinite.

VKQJgYv.png
that's assuming they arent laid off or the other thousands of things that could happen to foil that whole entire table.

i say, if money is your ambition for med school, do it. I think far too many of you guys:
1) Have never been poor and don't realize the far worse alternatives in life.
2) Are far too altruistic for your own good
3) Have a very naive view of other high paying careers.If you think finance, engineering, computer scienc, etc are easy jobs to make similar salaries to physicians, you're very misinformed.

Personally , I'm going the medical path for a combination of job satisfaction and $$$.

Reactions: 3 users
that's assuming they arent laid off or the other thousands of things that could happen to foil that whole entire table.

i say, if money is your ambition for med school, do it. I think far too many of you guys:
3) Have a very naive view of other high paying careers.If you think finance, engineering, computer scienc, etc are easy jobs to make similar salaries to physicians, you're very misinformed.

Personally , I'm going the medical path for a combination of job satisfaction and $$$.

IT can be a very cushy field once you are in it for 10 or so years
Usually you can get hired to work from home, or get easier hours..(I know many IT professionals and they make six figures..)
Don't know about Engineers...

Now finance is a pretty tough career, I know of some guys who used to be big wig finance guys made big bucks, but they never saw their wife or kids because they would work 65+ hours a week..

Not an easy career...

Honestly, any high paying career will demand long hours.
I only know of a few making six figures that work less than 60 a week and they are all in IT.

However that isn't the point, the point is if you want to make money there are alternstives..
You could drive a semi truck, potentially pull six figures, buy your own truck, make mid six figures, buy a few more trucks, and potentially make more money than any doctor could make minus probably a neurosurgeon who pretty much does spine in private practice.

I know of people who started their own contracting company or landscaping company and they make more than many doctors, upper managers who make more, small business owners who make more..

And guess what?
They dont have a quarter million dollar in debt..

That's kind of the point here.

If you want money, go elsewhere...
If I was after money I would actually probably drop out of college, work in the oil field, get my CDL, drive a truck long haul, save 60%, buy my own truck, and probably save enough to buy a gas station, and invest in various other things.

I would bet all my savings that I would end up a millionaire before I was 40 and could probably retire by then.

Meanwhile if I go to med school I would probably apply after a gap year or two so I will be either 22 or 23, so mayve 250k in debt, 27 when in residency, say a basic 4 year, 31 years old and I am finally making a bigger paycheck
And I probably will want to do something like family med in a rural area(dead serious, I like the idea of being the only doc in town that helps people feel better, be it a simple cough or whatever else)so I will say I will make a modest 150k or so

I mean ****, I won't be a millionaire by 40 at all... Or retired...
Would be lucky to be able to afford to pay off the debt and manage to buy a modest 3 bedroom house.

Oh wait, not about money at all

His point is that you're minimizing the difficulties associated with those other careers. Just be a truck driver? Really? Do you have any idea what that job is like? Most of them aren't just rolling in the dough while cruising for chicks on Rte 66.

Medicine isn't exactly an easy career, but your salary is essentially guaranteed. With most of those other jobs, it is faaaar from guaranteed that you will make close to doctor money, and in many cases not guaranteed that you'll even have a job.

His point is that you're minimizing the difficulties associated with those other careers. Just be a truck driver? Really? Do you have any idea what that job is like? Most of them aren't just rolling in the dough while cruising for chicks on Rte 66.

Medicine isn't exactly an easy career, but your salary is essentially guaranteed. With most of those other jobs, it is faaaar from guaranteed that you will make close to doctor money, and in many cases not guaranteed that you'll even have a job.

I am not; I noted the long hours, and all.

My point is there is no debt associated with it
Which makes it easier to start life.

My current job is very difficult, I work manual labor all night long, often lifting 100lbs...

I understand what it is like to be a poor blue collar worker because I am one

If I am going a quarter million in debt for something to make money it won't be a medical degree.
I could buy probably 3 trucks with that much dough and start a small time company or whatever else.

I am not; I noted the long hours, and all.

My point is there is no debt associated with it
Which makes it easier to start life.

My current job is very difficult, I work manual labor all night long, often lifting 100lbs...

I understand what it is like to be a poor blue collar worker because I am one

If I am going a quarter million in debt for something to make money it won't be a medical degree.
I could buy probably 3 trucks with that much dough and start a small time company or whatever else.

Yes. I think you just have a very starry-eyed view of some of these careers.

Yes. I think you just have a very starry-eyed view of some of these careers.
Not really
I come from a blue collar area
Don't know anyone making a decent living working less than 60 hours a week

You can make a lot of money in all sorts of career

Driving a garbage truck, being a plumber, welder..
Thats usually 60-80k though and many who make that work at least 60 hours a week

You know what they don't have?
250k in debt
Or even 40k from undergrad

That is what i am pointing at here

And those jobs are fairly secure

... probably save enough to buy a gas station, and invest in various other things. I would bet all my savings that I would end up a millionaire before I was 40 and could probably retire by then
5aIe8Xl.png

You could drive a semi truck, potentially pull six figures, buy your own truck, make mid six figures, buy a few more trucks, and potentially make more money than any doctor could make minus probably a neurosurgeon who pretty much does spine in private practice. If I was after money I would actually probably drop out of college, work in the oil field, get my CDL, drive a truck long haul, save 60%, buy my own truck, and probably save enough to buy a gas station, and invest in various other things. I would bet all my savings that I would end up a millionaire before I was 40 and could probably retire by then.
5Vf4n2A.png

Nh6Q113.png

I'm going the medical path for a combination of job satisfaction and $$$.
I tend to believe most people go to med school for the same reasons.

I think far too many of you guys: 1) Have never been poor and don't realize the far worse alternatives in life.
have gone many days without food in recent history; was on welfare in 1986 using "Monopoly" money to buy food at the grocery store at midnight; too embarrassed to possibly be seen by people who knew me (AFDC gave "Monopoly" money in booklets that you ripped out in different denominations to pay for food); got $435 a month to live on in which to pay rent, pay for utilities (gas, water, heat) and washed my clothes in the bath tub using a washboard metal thing.

Possibly. I probably fit into this category. Went from earth core to multimillionaire back to earth and back to earth core dirt poor; during that time I saw the worst of humanity and worst of living conditions - they're not in the USA, btw.

Couldn't agree with you more. However, I submit that most people on this forum and especially in the non-trad section are probably already degreed with some sort of well-paying job.

Last edited:
LTR truckers skew the statistics
The average for OTR is 75 to 80k
Drivers working more, with more endorsements can make six figures

Know plenty who made six figures but they took a pay cut or changed their career because they never saw their kids and it hurt their marriage

IT can be a very cushy field once you are in it for 10 or so years
Usually you can get hired to work from home, or get easier hours..(I know many IT professionals and they make six figures..)
Don't know about Engineers...

Now finance is a pretty tough career, I know of some guys who used to be big wig finance guys made big bucks, but they never saw their wife or kids because they would work 65+ hours a week..

Not an easy career...

Honestly, any high paying career will demand long hours.
I only know of a few making six figures that work less than 60 a week and they are all in IT.

However that isn't the point, the point is if you want to make money there are alternstives..
You could drive a semi truck, potentially pull six figures, buy your own truck, make mid six figures, buy a few more trucks, and potentially make more money than any doctor could make minus probably a neurosurgeon who pretty much does spine in private practice.

I know of people who started their own contracting company or landscaping company and they make more than many doctors, upper managers who make more, small business owners who make more..

And guess what?
They dont have a quarter million dollar in debt..

If you want money, go elsewhere...
If I was after money I would actually probably drop out of college, work in the oil field, get my CDL, drive a truck long haul, save 60%, buy my own truck, and probably save enough to buy a gas station, and invest in various other things.

I would bet all my savings that I would end up a millionaire before I was 40 and could probably retire by then.

Meanwhile if I go to med school I would probably apply after a gap year or two so I will be either 22 or 23, so mayve 250k in debt, 27 when in residency, say a basic 4 year, 31 years old and I am finally making a bigger paycheck
And I probably will want to do something like family med in a rural area(dead serious, I like the idea of being the only doc in town that helps people feel better, be it a simple cough or whatever else)so I will say I will make a modest 150k or so

I mean ****, I won't be a millionaire by 40 at all... Or retired...
Would be lucky to be able to afford to pay off the debt and manage to buy a modest 3 bedroom house.

Oh wait, not about money at all
LTR truckers skew the statistics
The average for OTR is 75 to 80k
Drivers working more, with more endorsements can make six figures

Know plenty who made six figures but they took a pay cut or changed their career because they never saw their kids and it hurt their marriage

I feel like the truckers making 75k-80k+ are such an anomaly they might as well not even be included in any kind of statistic lest they extrapolate any kind of meaningful statistic.

Most blue collar truckers aren't making that kind of money.

Not really
I come from a blue collar area
Don't know anyone making a decent living working less than 60 hours a week

You can make a lot of money in all sorts of career

Driving a garbage truck, being a plumber, welder..
Thats usually 60-80k though and many who make that work at least 60 hours a week

You know what they don't have?
250k in debt
Or even 40k from undergrad

That is what i am pointing at here

And those jobs are fairly secure

A lot of those blue collar jobs aren't as secure as you think they are and your figures are way too high. I don't know what kind of blue collar community you come from (NYC or something ???) , but where I'm from (Maryland) , a technical job is just around 35-50k. That's not including the fact that those figures are gross salary, not net. Plenty of those in these careers are not enough to secure a one bread winning household.

Plus, If Technical jobs were as cushy as you make them out to be, there wouldn't be such a deficit that we have today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyways, my point is, you shouldn't complain about being a doctor when one:
1) You chose to be a Doctor
2) You will inevitably become part of the top 10% of the country

Now I'm not saying us Pre-meds, Med Students, Residents, Attendings, etc aren't working our asses off to get where we need to be in life but the fact of the matter is that being a Doctor is probably one of the more streamlined and simplest routes to a financially secure lifestyle given hard work and intellectual ability.

An equally intelligent Actuary will graduate college with three SOA examinations under his belt (and lemme tell you, those exams are no joke. Think of 10 separate MCAT level difficulty exams on steroids) , and still not be able to find an entry level position. He'll work as an analyst at some random firm for a couple years making 45-50 k a year until he gets hired for the career he spent all his time studying for. He'll start at 70k and eventually after 6-7+ years he might complete all 10 of his SOA examinations and make a similar salary to a physician. That's "if" he didn't get fired. The finance and business sectors are infamously cut throat.

Engineers and Computer Scientists will graduate starry eye'd with their degree's only to realize that the competition to get their feet in the door is so high it's insane. The CS degree holder will have to have graduated from a prestigious university if they plan on making more than 60-70k within the next 5 years of their life. Oh, and let's not start on outsourcing.

Honestly, I could go on. My point is that every career has its' ups and downs. Medicine is not easy and quite frankly not for everyone, but to act like Doctors have it bad is naive. It's no better nor worse than any other profession out there and given one's ability to work hard and the possession of average intelligence, you can make it to medical school and have a much more streamlined path to prosperity.

Hey, OP! I have something else Earth shattering you may not be aware of... check this one out, man!!

88EB93B0-AEC8-48FD-966F-3E27C3F8E1A2.jpeg

What this guy said. While less education is required, the amount of work you'd have to put in to acquire the same type of salary as a doctor is equivalent.

It really depends what specific career in medicine you end up pursuing and how much med school is going to cost you. Paying sticker price to go to a private school, then going into primary care in a major city, yeah that math doesn't come out very favorably. Going to your state program or getting a big aid package and then specializing in certain areas and having certain kinds of practices, on the other hand, will leave you with a lot more $ to work with than your college pals that went straight into the workforce. Even the engineers and consultants are not going to come anywhere close.

This is a big part of the problem. I got informed in another thread, which I didn't know previously, that schools may not even let you know what your financial aid package is going to look like until after the single acceptance deadline. This may be a choice we have to make blind, which is absolute BS. I have a private MD school right next to me, that will save me huge amounts of money on cost of living because I own my own house and my mortgage is dirt cheap... not to mention I won't have to go through the stress of either selling my house or being a landlord. I know I will pay more to live anywhere else, as far as living expenses go... but hypothetically, if I picked this school over a state school and didn't get help, I'd owe a ton more in loans. However, I do know people who pay less to go there than a state school would have cost because of scholarships... but there's no guarantee of getting those... so how in the world are you supposed to pick a school if you're lucky enough get into more than one? Flip a coin?

There *needs* to be more transparency in the financial aid process. People should be able to know what their debt is going to be up front, without having to pick a school blind.

A few of the current residents actually had great thoughts on this and why residents aren't paid as much. I'll see if I can find the thread, but it basically boiled down to the fact that residents are essentially still students who are learning to be whatever their specialty is, while mid-levels have completed their training and theoretically are now utilizing their full scope of practice and are saving the hospital money.

100% agreed. I work for a non-teaching hospital that partners with the local teaching hospital for one particular specialty only... and my god, the first years are awful. Everything I call for, it's "I don't know," "Let me check," etc. First years, at least, are worse than useless - they delay patient care, which can be a real problem if the patient is critical and I'm waiting on something life-saving. Now, I do think salary should go up more dramatically than it does - the pay difference between a helpless first year and a third year should be way more, because the third years are rock stars who are actually helpful. I'd argue that the last year of residency should be paid around NP/PA salary because at that point the residents are capable of doing equivalent work to a NP/PA.

so how in the world are you supposed to pick a school if you're lucky enough get into more than one?
It may not be an AAMC rule, but for myself and all my friends, the schools did release the financial aid info prior to the single acceptance deadline. They know if they made you commit to them without showing you the costs, a lot of their potential matriculates would go elsewhere to places that had shown their aid, so their is a motive on their end to be transparent at the end of the cycle.

Last edited:
I've always told my friends that I would be a doctor even if they paid me as much as they paid a teacher. Money's not so much of a factor as a benefit I guess. I think there's a lot of us like this.

I feel like the truckers making 75k-80k+ are such an anomaly they might as well not even be included in any kind of statistic lest they extrapolate any kind of meaningful statistic.

Most blue collar truckers aren't making that kind of money.
Interesting enough, my dad who delivers chemicals/gasoline makes about 250k and works locally. He barely graduated highschool. Works 70 hour weeks but the opportunity is definitely there

I've always told my friends that I would be a doctor even if they paid me as much as they paid a teacher. Money's not so much of a factor as a benefit I guess. I think there's a lot of us like this.

Ah spoken like someone who hasn't done a single day of medical training.

I don't think a person's motives for wanting to be a doctor should really matter. I'm willing to bet a lot of talented physicians have major character flaws, but at the end of the day what really matters is that lives are being saved. Not everyone that would make a great doctor would do it for the right reasons, is altruistic, had a family member with cancer - no... some of us actually have good genes (jk) - etc. Point is, the medical system isn't the make a wish foundation. The better student/doctor should get the opportunity.

Oh and it's not like you can't just make something up. During my interviews I'd probably pull something like this

Last edited:
I always love it when people are like "if you want to do it for the money just do finance, engineering, etc." Totally underestimating how difficult it is to land a job at a major tech company or find a position in IB. Lets not forget about ageism in tech and how brutal IB hours are as well. Totally agree with @thetraveler1993. The sentiment reeks of naivety/ignorance/privilege. Nothing wrong with wanting a comfy, well-off life and for some, medicine is their best chance.

You make similar assumptions with medical career as well though. What happens to someone who is kicked out of school after 2 or more years. They just racked up 6 figures of debt with no viable career path to show for it? Or how about someone who is injured or becomes ill and is then unable to finish school or residency? Many of the same concerns apply. To address your other points:

1. I've lived off of 20k or less for the past 7 years of my life. I realize there are even worse alternatives, but many of us are fully aware of what it means to struggle.
2. Altruism is essential for an individual to be a solid physician. Our job is literally to help heal and support others, basically the definition of altruism. This obviously does not mean altruism is the only thing needed to be a physician or that other reasons for pursuing medicine aren't valid. However, if a person lacks altruism and just wants to pursue medicine for the money and security, they should pursue a different career for their future patients' sake.
3. I don't think most are as naïve of other careers as you think. People aren't arguing they're going to be making physician money in other careers or that other careers aren't difficult. What people are saying is that there are other careers that allow a person to make a high living (6 figures) that have far fewer barriers to entrance and require far less sacrifices just to get to the first real paycheck. Sure, many of those jobs aren't laid back 40 hour jobs that pull in 200k (which is now the median for the lowest paying field in medicine), but there are certainly far easier paths to a 6 figure salary than medicine, especially if you're going to be miserable with a career in medicine.

Nothing wrong with pursuing medicine for satisfaction and money, in fact those are great reasons. However, I consider enjoying your job which includes helping others to be part of that satisfaction aspect. The point most people make is that if your main/only reason for entering medicine is money, you're setting yourself up for a miserable future.

Ah spoken like someone who hasn't done a single day of medical training.

Well, I'm a 4th year med student and I'd continue down this path and choose the same path knowing I'd only make 60k/year at the end of the road. I'd do this assuming I could still enter my planned field (which I likely won't touch much more than 50 hours/wk after residency) and that I could finish med school without any debt. I'll happily take the hefty paycheck that comes with the job title, and believe it's essential given the amount of debt the average graduate has. Just saying that many docs actually do love what they do and most of the ones who are unsatisfied with their salary or lifestyle are the ones who chose the path of medicine specifically for the salary or lifestyle.

You make similar assumptions with medical career as well though. What happens to someone who is kicked out of school after 2 or more years. They just racked up 6 figures of debt with no viable career path to show for it? Or how about someone who is injured or becomes ill and is then unable to finish school or residency? Many of the same concerns apply. To address your other points:

The former happens very infrequently, especially compared to the number of people who have trouble getting or keeping those other jobs. When ~95% of people who start medical school finish, those are pretty good odds.

The latter is present in every career and isn't unique to medicine. You shouldn't avoid a career because you might get injured some day.

I'd do this assuming I could still enter my planned field (which I likely won't touch much more than 50 hours/wk after residency) and that I could finish med school without any debt.

And so would I, but the poster I quoted made no such qualifications and also has nothing to base their statement on. You making that statement carries much more credence than one who has yet to even take the MCAT.

Edit: also want to add that the poster said "that of a teacher." I my state teachers get paid absolute pennies, far beneath the 60k you mention. Think 30k or less. If that were true you would have an absolutely massive exodus from medicine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where those income projections (earlier in the thread) came from, but they are kind of poor. In particular, this post strikes me as particularly dubious.
In 1990, the average physician salary was $164k/year. Varied by specialty, but FM and peds were around $100k. Today you can double it for both specialties. Meanwhile, medical education costs have gone from $20k to over $120, a 6x increase compared to the 2x increase of attending salary. Even more relevant than actual cost of education, is average debt level. In 1992, the average debt was around $25k, today it's around $200k, almost a 10x increase. So yes, the financial outlook of future physicians is far worse than it was and is only getting worse.
The bolded text just is not true.

First, the tuition and cost of medical school is part of an overall increase in college tuition across the board. But more importantly, the increase in income is far more powerful than the more radical increase in debt, simply because the debt is essentially a one-time expenditure, whereas salary goes on for decades. Trust me, if an investor could pay $250,000 to start a business which will earn on average $200,000 (but maybe $400,000 or more) per year for 25-50 years, even with a seven year delay (med school + residency) the investors would be stampeding the put their money up. It is extremely lucrative compared to other opportunities.
I don't care for this chart. One obvious flaw is that they assume a doctor's income does not increase over time. It does. The UPS driver gets a raise also, but not as much. He may start at $60k and end at $70k, whereas a doc may start at $180k (this is low) and end at $225k. Maybe you even get a partnership, or an interest in the practice's lab business, and you add $50k to $90k to your income. This happens with doctors, not so much to delivery drivers. These numbers are just examples, but the difference over 25+ years is substantial.

This debate also does not consider the nature of student loan debt. It tends to be "good debt," meaning it is subject to a very reasonable interest rate, and there are favorable, flexible repayment options, including income sensitivity, forbearance, etc. This isn't like credit card debt, and it is not secured against your home so foreclosure isn't going to happen. Student debt isn't dischargeable in bankruptcy, so that sucks, but still, it is good debt. I think there is a bit of fear of student loan debt that perhaps is not warranted.

This chart also seems to assume UPS will give you however many hours you want. This could possibly happen, but is far from assured, and frankly it is doubtful.

There is also a physical component to UPS driver's work, so factor in some degenerative disc disease, potentially a back surgery. Maybe a little carpal tunnel.

This sheet also has the physician's bachelor's degree time included. Many people consider the bachelor's degree to be something that is to be pursued as an end in itself, to be a well-rounded, educated person.

This chart and this comparison in general is completely income-oriented. It doesn't account for satisfaction, pleasure, fulfillment, social status, or really anything else. For some people, being a professional will be more satisfying and fulfilling than driving a delivery truck. Not to demean UPS drivers or others who work in trades, but just to say, a lot of people will not find that career to be particularly satisfying.

I will also echo some of the other posters who have pointed out that there is a lot of competition in other professions. This is really true. Whether it is computer science, engineering, law, agriculture, construction, it just doesn't matter, there are a lot of people trying to beat you out for that job or business opportunity. There is competition in medicine too, but there is also a guarantee of opportunity. This is not an insignificant consideration.

So basically, long way of saying, financial outlook for the medical profession is quite strong, and can't realistically be negated by expensive medical school costs or delay in starting to earn money.

And so would I, but the poster I quoted made no such qualifications and also has nothing to base their statement on. You making that statement carries much more credence than one who has yet to even take the MCAT.

Edit: also want to add that the poster said "that of a teacher." I my state teachers get paid absolute pennies, far beneath the 60k you mention. Think 30k or less. If that were true you would have an absolutely massive exodus from medicine.

Fair enough with the first point, your point of teachers is way off though. Average teacher salary in the U.S. is >56k/year. Starting salary in many states is in the low 30k's, but the average salary is way higher than that.

Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

First, the tuition and cost of medical school is part of an overall increase in college tuition across the board. But more importantly, the increase in income is far more powerful than the more radical increase in debt, simply because the debt is essentially a one-time expenditure, whereas salary goes on for decades. Trust me, if an investor could pay $250,000 to start a business which will earn on average $200,000 (but maybe $400,000 or more) per year for 25-50 years, even with a seven year delay (med school + residency) the investors would be stampeding the put their money up. It is extremely lucrative compared to other opportunities.

Yes, it's part of an overall increase, but you're oversimplifying your statement a lot, like I did. Yes there has been an income increase, but you're missing the point. The point is that if you go the physician route you've got a minimum of 11 years of post-hs education and as many as 15 or 16 where you rack up that 200k+ in debt (sometimes 400k+) and have no income available to pay that back. Then you have to pay back your debt, so there's a bunch more of your income you're not saving or investing. In the mean time, UPS driver or whatever example you want to use is earning during that period. If you want to talk about it from an investment point, if an investor could pay 1,000-5,000 to start a business which will earn on average 60k/year for 50 years vs. the example you gave (which is incrorrect because they'd have to invest the $250k then wait 11-15 years to begin receiving any sort of payoff), it's just as good of an offer as they get paid right away and can then use their earnings to invest in other ventures.

I don't care for this chart. One obvious flaw is that they assume a doctor's income does not increase over time. It does. The UPS driver gets a raise also, but not as much. He may start at $60k and end at $70k, whereas a doc may start at $180k (this is low) and end at $225k. Maybe you even get a partnership, or an interest in the practice's lab business, and you add $50k to $90k to your income. This happens with doctors, not so much to delivery drivers. These numbers are just examples, but the difference over 25+ years is substantial.

The chart is a huge oversimplification, as I said. However, according to the national data I've seen, physician salary actually doesn't increase across their careers. If I can find the report I will, but it showed that overall, physician salaries only increase until a doc is around 50, then their salary typically starts dropping off (I'm guessing because they start working less hours). Even if there is an increase in salary throughout their career, there's still the initial difference and an overall difference in terms of number of years in which each career is actually earning.

This debate also does not consider the nature of student loan debt. It tends to be "good debt," meaning it is subject to a very reasonable interest rate, and there are favorable, flexible repayment options, including income sensitivity, forbearance, etc. This isn't like credit card debt, and it is not secured against your home so foreclosure isn't going to happen. Student debt isn't dischargeable in bankruptcy, so that sucks, but still, it is good debt. I think there is a bit of fear of student loan debt that perhaps is not warranted.

Yes, it is good debt in the sense that you can guarantee that it will be paid back and that you'll eventually make some great money. However, I would call a 7% interest rate far from good which can increase or be higher, especially if the gov sells your debt to someone else. This happened to my spouse and they company who bought her debt increased her interest to 10%. Sure, there's a lot of good aspects to it, but there are also negatives. And there are many risks to co-signers if you end up needing one to get the loans.

To the other points, this thread had nothing to do with job satisfaction, pleasure, social status or any of those issues, though they have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. It's purely about the financial aspect. Sure the financial outlook is strong in the long run, but ignoring the pre-requisites and sacrifices required to get to that earning as well as the number of hours worked on average compared to most other careers makes.

As the OP stated, there are many reasons to pursue medicine and I'd do it again. However doing it only for the money isn't a good decision.

Yes, it's part of an overall increase, but you're oversimplifying your statement a lot, like I did. Yes there has been an income increase, but you're missing the point. The point is that if you go the physician route you've got a minimum of 11 years of post-hs education and as many as 15 or 16 where you rack up that 200k+ in debt (sometimes 400k+) and have no income available to pay that back. Then you have to pay back your debt, so there's a bunch more of your income you're not saving or investing. In the mean time, UPS driver or whatever example you want to use is earning during that period. If you want to talk about it from an investment point, if an investor could pay 1,000-5,000 to start a business which will earn on average 60k/year for 50 years vs. the example you gave (which is incrorrect because they'd have to invest the $250k then wait 11-15 years to begin receiving any sort of payoff), it's just as good of an offer as they get paid right away and can then use their earnings to invest in other ventures.
I didn't miss any point. Your argument actually concedes my points. All you have done is re-describe the path to becoming a physician, as it has always been. So none of what you describe is a new circumstance, but your original post, that I bolded, argued that things are so much worse now. They are not worse, and using your own numbers only shows that they actually are better. I urge you to run these scenarios in Excel on a spreadsheet as I have done, and you will see exactly how quickly and easily physician's earnings overtake the debt load.

And residency should not be included in the period where debt accumulates. Average pay is over $50,000 now, so debt is not piling up for residents. I also don't think the bachelor's is fair to include. Your argument begins to take liberties in figuring its no big deal to skip all college education and simply start driving a truck right out of high school. We want to have a reasonable existence, not construct a hypothetical which is excessively spartan or consigned to privation. Not only this but you can't make a valid comparison to any other professions, because those are likely to require a bachelor's as well.
The chart is a huge oversimplification, as I said. However, according to the national data I've seen, physician salary actually doesn't increase across their careers. If I can find the report I will, but it showed that overall, physician salaries only increase until a doc is around 50, then their salary typically starts dropping off (I'm guessing because they start working less hours). Even if there is an increase in salary throughout their career, there's still the initial difference and an overall difference in terms of number of years in which each career is actually earning.
I don't really know what you're saying here. Physician pay increases over time, you admitted this when you said 25 years ago doctors made half what they make now. So, that incremental increase is going to apply to the docs out there doing work. On top of this, an employed doc may get actual raises, or a doc in a group will become partner and have a "business" component to his income like I suggested before.

Also I feel certain you are not running computations, because seriously, it would take me about eight minutes with a spreadsheet program and we would be done discussing the math part of this whole thing. And that's kind of the heart of this discussion, the math. You've got OB GYN making mid-$300,000, anesthetists, derm and rads around $400,000, and IM/FM at $220,000. Most of what I've discussed simply contemplates $200,000 a year with small increments reflecting the increasing value of physician services over time. The low numbers work just fine, let alone if you start talking about a specialty where you make half again as much or even double.
Yes, it is good debt in the sense that you can guarantee that it will be paid back and that you'll eventually make some great money. However, I would call a 7% interest rate far from good which can increase or be higher, especially if the gov sells your debt to someone else. This happened to my spouse and they company who bought her debt increased her interest to 10%. Sure, there's a lot of good aspects to it, but there are also negatives. And there are many risks to co-signers if you end up needing one to get the loans.
Your anecdote is highly suspect, with all due respect. The interest rate of a loan cannot be increased merely because the loan is sold. This is black letter law of contracts. If you re-financed to avoid default, you may have simply made a bad bargain. But the terms can't change, period, simply due to the debt instrument being conveyed to a third party. Whether a co-signer is at risk is irrelevant, of course they are, that's what co-signing means. But bottom line, student loan debt is statutorily outfitted with measures which make repayment easier and less burdensome. Is it just as good as not owing in the first place? No, of course not. But it is way better than owing a credit card company, or owing a bank mortgage where your home can be sold as security.
To the other points, this thread had nothing to do with job satisfaction, pleasure, social status or any of those issues, though they have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. It's purely about the financial aspect. Sure the financial outlook is strong in the long run, but ignoring the pre-requisites and sacrifices required to get to that earning as well as the number of hours worked on average compared to most other careers makes.
Fine, but you are engaging in a false equivalency when you portray as equal the career of one who enlists in manual labor at age 18 with one who obtains a bachelor's degree and then gets involved in further education and training. These two lifestyles are not equal. I appreciate you admitting here that "in the long term" the physician earnings will justify the investment. I never argued there was not an investment period, and if you like the term "sacrifice" then fine, it is an investment of time and resources, in which some lean years are endured in order to achieve high earning potential.

But consider a quick example. In 22 years, a primary care doctor will likely earn over $5 million. In 35 years, the UPS driver will do well to earn $2.3 million. Yes, the doctor has to pay back his loan, OK, his earnings are back down to a mere $4.6 million. So the doc doubles up the driver in 13 fewer years. And this is without any interest being earned, in which case the doctor further outstrips the driver. There just is no comparison.

Please run your own scenarios using an Excel spreadsheet. This issue is just too simple and too mathematical to leave to "debate."

You also didn't refute other points I made, such as the unavailability of unlimited hours for the UPS driver, wear and tear on the UPS driver's body, potential of a doctor to buy into a practice or side business such as lab or imaging, and others. Many of these directly impact the financial discussion, and are not just trimmings or lifestyle considerations.

All of which is to say, the gloom and doom about how much it costs to be a physician is overblown. Costs have gone up for all education, but physician earnings have consistently increased year over year. Medical student loans can be handled, and non-income-producing years can be made up for, when you start earning average income of $200,000 a year. The sky is not falling.

so debt is not piling up for residents.

Yeah no.

I don't really know what you're saying here. Physician pay increases over time, you admitted this when you said 25 years ago doctors made half what they make now. So, that incremental increase is going to apply to the docs out there doing work. On top of this, an employed doc may get actual raises, or a doc in a group will become partner and have a "business" component to his income like I suggested before.

What are you talking about?? Docs made half of what they make now and the COL was a lot lower. Account for inflation and yeah doctors make more now based on raw numbers but the doctor dollar went a lot farther 25 years ago than it does today.

The interest rate of a loan cannot be increased merely because the loan is sold.

Wrong.

But the terms can't change, period, simply due to the debt instrument being conveyed to a third party.

You need to read your contracts better if you think this can't happen.

The financial outlook is good for physicians, but not as good as it once was. This is also neglecting the time commitment, years of sacrificing any sort of income, and the debt load that are unique to medicine.