If you are NOT a biology major..post here!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mr Reddly said:
I'm told it can be like undergrad but even more so in this respect... I hope not.

Well...the first two years may seem brutal. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Environmental science major
Chemistry minor.

I love my major since it has allowed me to take some different courses than a standard biologist would (like geology and climatology).

Plus I love this planet and I want it to stay around :love:

vegangirl said:
Environmental science major
Chemistry minor.

I love my major since it has allowed me to take some different courses than a standard biologist would (like geology and climatology).

Plus I love this planet and I want it to stay around :love:

I think you were the one who PMed me just to say, "Hi!!!!." lol...I PMed you back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Political Science major = fun fun fun
Economics minor = living hell

I am electrical engineering and computer science double major
Math, biology, business and Islamic studies minor

I thought I was special until my med school interview. In my interview, I met two indian (desi) dudes , one had MS in Electrical engineering and the other has MS in biomedical engineering. All of us will be classmates this August as fresh MS1's. We already decided on our name "Gang of Engineers":)))) By the way i am not even indian:))))

history minor with biochem major

i think depending on where you take biochem, it's pretty different. mine is a LOT closer to chem than bio, so i'm posting in your thread.

aydinhatemi said:
I am electrical engineering and computer science double major
Math, biology, business and Islamic studies minor

I thought I was special until my med school interview. In my interview, I met two indian (desi) dudes , one had MS in Electrical engineering and the other has MS in biomedical engineering. All of us will be classmates this August as fresh MS1's. We already decided on our name "Gang of Engineers":)))) By the way i am not even indian:))))

I've met more premeds in engineering at my school then biology. Either my school is weird (too much of an engineering school), or I haven't talked to enough people in bio. :)

Thundrstorm said:
Yeah, I know. What's wrong with me? I've posted in pre-allo and Everyone this week. :eek:

You're being brainwashed by the new SDN layout! :scared:
This could mean we will be overtaken by a whole bunch of pre-allos roaming SDN...for no apparent reason at all. :scared:

(I'll see you guys when I start moaning about that MCAT test/score. ;) :D)

lilithny said:
Political Science major = fun fun fun
Economics minor = living hell

Exact opposite of my college experience:

Bioengineering major = living hell
Latin literature minor = fun fun fun

Nice thread.
I majored in Occupational Therapy. It's been a godsend. I have a neat little career, I've been published, promoted into administration, worked closely with docs, been able to travel and work overseas. I've lived my 20's on my terms, and hope that I can parlay my experiences into benefit for myself and my future patients as an MD.
Good luck to all.

dc

I'm a chemistry major too...for some reason chem just stuck with me. Clinking glassware, strange looking/smelling ooze in organic lab, those cool raccoon eyes from goggles, making things go "boom", it's all fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a cool combination of disciplines.

boomuntilnoon said:
Interdisciplinary major: Chemistry/History of Art

For attending such a (pseudo) revolutionary college, I'm actually the first person to ever combine these diverse studies... I wrote my honors thesis on tattoos, even though I do not have any personally.

I never thought I would have an opportunity to put my degree to use, but I have managed to procure two prestigious art conservation research positions over the next year! Yeehaw! :D

Nursing major and minors in chemistry and psychology
However, I messed up my freshman year getting a 2.5 and 2.7 .....however im now a junior and have had a 3.75 or higher since then so I dont know if I'll get in.....

Chemical engineering w/ minor in spanish :) best of both worlds

have you all with nonscience majors been able to get research? I plan on applying to some research programs as an English major and want to know how everyone else has taken care of getting research.

Speech Pathology

because I thought it was an interesting subject. Lately I've been really interested in Linguistics though because I have a strong interest in languages, I may minor in it.

Economics Major, French Major in 97 from Baylor
Law Degree in 2000 from UT Austin

Now I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August and apply for the 2005 class.

Whoever asked about research...

I was a HS senior and did research (which will be relevant to my med app, as I will graduate after 2.5 years of college)... it's not hard at all to get an entry-level position. I happen to live around DC, and therefore I have a million opportunities around--NIH, USDA, FDA, the university system as well as many private companies. It's easier to find positions and people who want interns in large areas. Just be really really eager and willing to learn, and even if its a menial task it's something.

I did PCR on a cross of strawberry to develop a linkage map of disease resistance. Didn't make much progress on that topic, ended up doing ALOT of lab work that we found how to use much much less, diluted DNA to do amplification (good for crime scenes and degraded samples, not strawberries!). Small error I made had my mentor look into new protocol... And the most wonderful thing? I won't get even credit in the paper she writes although I did ALL of the labwork and MY error sparked off my curiosity. Lousy woman I worked with. And from that point on, I never want to step in a lab.

-Liz

terpgirl said:
Whoever asked about research...

I was a HS senior and did research (which will be relevant to my med app, as I will graduate after 2.5 years of college)... it's not hard at all to get an entry-level position. I happen to live around DC, and therefore I have a million opportunities around--NIH, USDA, FDA, the university system as well as many private companies. It's easier to find positions and people who want interns in large areas. Just be really really eager and willing to learn, and even if its a menial task it's something.

I did PCR on a cross of strawberry to develop a linkage map of disease resistance. Didn't make much progress on that topic, ended up doing ALOT of lab work that we found how to use much much less, diluted DNA to do amplification (good for crime scenes and degraded samples, not strawberries!). Small error I made had my mentor look into new protocol... And the most wonderful thing? I won't get even credit in the paper she writes although I did ALL of the labwork and MY error sparked off my curiosity. Lousy woman I worked with. And from that point on, I never want to step in a lab.

-Liz

OUCH. That PI is such a huge bitch. I'm so sorry you had the misfortune of working with her. Wow, I would've been PISSED if that happened to me. I hope undergraduate research isn't the hum-drum, menial work that some folks on SDN make it out to be. I'll be starting my first semester of ugrad research in the fall and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I was a research psychology major (cognitive neuroscience and human performance). That's what initially got me interested in medicine...I liked the research, hard science and human applications more than the psychology "soft stuff." :)

I majored in Biomedical Engineering.

I liked the idea of combining math, science and medicine together. i soon found out i didn't really learn though. :(

Its nice to see so many people are going to medical school, rather than just the standard bio majors. I think that is one of the beauties of medicine, is that it NOW encompasses people from so many different backgrounds, (eg older people, younger people, women, minorities. etc....) 30 years ago, most doctors were male, middle class, and christian or jewish (At least that is what my uncle's med school was) We've come a long way baby. So :clap: :clap: :clap: to all the people who dared not to be bio majors!!!!

vegangirl said:
Its nice to see so many people are going to medical school, rather than just the standard bio majors. I think that is one of the beauties of medicine, is that it NOW encompasses people from so many different backgrounds, (eg older people, younger people, women, minorities. etc....) 30 years ago, most doctors were male, middle class, and christian or jewish (At least that is what my uncle's med school was) We've come a long way baby. So :clap: :clap: :clap: to all the people who dared not to be bio majors!!!!

it definitely won't be long before there are more women then men in med school! my class and the class younger are majority women.

I'm a Spanish and Psychology major...those were the two subjects that really interested me going in to undergrad. It would have been nice to have an idead that I may go in to medicine though because making up all of the science classes hasn't been a blast.

Mechanical Engineering

Don't you love designing things?

Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, didn't decide for M.D. program until later. :p

wanderbray said:
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science, didn't decide for M.D. program until later. :p

Let me guess...you did EECS at Berkeley?

Good ol' Biomedical Engineering :thumbup:

Anthropology/bio.... mostly medical and social anthropology and it was an amazing degree... a few of my professors also taught at the the school of public health, and I got interested in an MPH.... I got accepted to the MD/MPH program :)

Economics degree in '96, but now working on a BioMedical Degree, so I probably loose 1/2 a point... :D

Chemistry with Biology minor.

I do research in electrochemistry.

Music - Viola Performance

because I figured if I'm going through 4 years of med school and residency I need SOMETHING to de-stress ;)

Chemistry. I really hated the biology program at my university. I had NO INTEREST in the botany, zoology, and ecology classes that were required early on in the program. Being "pre-med" didn't change the curriculum at all for the beginning stuff. I have been able to find a lot of good BIO classes that didn't need these as prereqs...I'm much happier as a chem major.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more chem majors. It seems like when I was getting ready to pick a major, a lot of things I read said that bio and chem were the two traditional majors--but it seems like everyone is bio. It seems to me like you'll get plenty of bio in med school, and things like pharmacodynamics, staining techniques, radiology/nuclear imaging techniques, etc would all be really relevant to understanding a great number of important practical issues in medicine--ceratinly moreso than soil ecology or predator/prey relationships. I think more people should study chemistry. It always upsets me to think of how many doctors are prescribing s***loads of medicines often with a very limited understanding of the chemistry behind those drugs.

Glad to see so many premeds breaking the mold and venturing outside of the bio department at their school!!!!! :) :)

I'm a Psychology major, and I'm majoring in this field because I love learning about the way people behave and how our minds work. I have some experience in psychology also, previously having been a patient of therapy. It is all so interesting!!

I'm taking up A.B. Interdisciplinary Studies... considering getting a minor in Theatre Arts :rolleyes: or maybe I'll get some credits for that from my free elective, heh heh. :smuggrin:

Graphic design & computer animation, with a minor in art history. :)

drlo59 said:
Music - Viola Performance

because I figured if I'm going through 4 years of med school and residency I need SOMETHING to de-stress ;)

de-stress, wow! I used to be a music major and it was really tough with all the practicing. now that i don't major in it anymore, it's definitely a lot more relaxing. the viola is cool though! i'm a cellist myself.

anyway,

major = communication sciences and disorders - i chose it because it's really unique and it's very clinically based too. lots of cool research going on in the field too.

major: computer science engineer
minor: applied mathematics

this being said, both kicked the crap out of my GPA

English and Art History with a minor in French :D

I took classes from 14 subject areas in college. I'm guessing that's not too traditional, either, but I could be wrong.