If You Got Into Harvard Medical School and a Rhode Scholarship At The Same Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffeoniv

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:laugh::laugh:lol just for fun thread... if you applied to both at the same time and got into both would you go straight to harvard or england then harvard! :) lolol :laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Given that the Rhodes is kind of a big deal, I would imagine that Harvard would give you a deferral to use it. So, off to England then Harvard.

:laugh::laugh:lol just for fun thread... if you applied to both at the same time and got into both would you go straight to harvard or england then harvard! :) lolol :laugh::laugh:

I'd probably reject both so I could go pick up my Nobel Prize.

Members don't see this ad :)
A Rhodes seems like a waste of 2 years of my life, but that's just me. When will it ever help if you already got into med school? I somehow imagine residency director's not caring much that I have a master's in British bulls***.

Rhode Scholars 2010

Aakash K. Shah, Cliffside Park, graduated from Ursinus College and is now in his first year at Harvard Medical School. At Ursinus, he majored in inequality studies, biology and neuroscience. A Goldwater Scholar and junior member of Phi Beta Kappa, Aakash was on the varsity track team, worked with United Students Against Sweatshops in Mexico, and examined environmental health problems in Indian slums. He plans a career combining clinical and academic medicine with global health policy. He will do the M.Sc. in Comparative Social Policy at Oxford. He is the first Rhodes Scholar to be elected from Ursinus College.

some of us are not good enough

Only if they could schedule the ceremony before my space shuttle left for the first manned trip to Mars.

Too bad the Mars landing conflicts with the same day I reveal myself as Jesus Christ in the Second Coming. At least I'll still be able to catch the first ever light-speed warp to the Andromeda Galaxy, just because they wouldn't stop begging me to be the captain of the mission.

I remember when I used to care about prestige and **** like that but then I grew up and realized prestige ****** are some of the lamest and boring people out there.

Rhode Scholars 2010

Aakash K. Shah, Cliffside Park, graduated from Ursinus College and is now in his first year at Harvard Medical School. At Ursinus, he majored in inequality studies, biology and neuroscience. A Goldwater Scholar and junior member of Phi Beta Kappa, Aakash was on the varsity track team, worked with United Students Against Sweatshops in Mexico, and examined environmental health problems in Indian slums. He plans a career combining clinical and academic medicine with global health policy. He will do the M.Sc. in Comparative Social Policy at Oxford. He is the first Rhodes Scholar to be elected from Ursinus College.

some of us are not good enough

I feel like a bum compared to this guy.

Why? Do you want to follow down his path? A lot of us (in medical school) have no interest in heading to Harvard, applying for the Rhodes scholarship, or even putting that level of effort in to research.

:)

Grats to him though, we need people to do research.

Its easy to feel like what you have accomplished pales in comparison to others. But remember this- it doesn't matter. There will always be smart people out there- but that doesn't mean that you need to be a Richard Feynman or an Aakash Mehta or a Soros fellow (look those big wigs up) to succeed in life. Hell, take a look at the Forbes 500, or the director of the NCI. >90% of those people either dropped out of college or earned a degree at a "substandard" educational institution. Did that stop them from getting to where they are now? I don't think so.

I personally know someone who graduated near the top of the class at a magnet high school (one of the best in the nation), attended MIT, won the Rhodes, Marshall and countless other honors, and is now at the MD-PHD program at Harvard-MIT. Guess what differentiated this person from "normal" people like me- caring. And connections. This particular person's parents were an incredible driving force in helping the person achieve these feats, and there was never an indication that intellect or even "genius" was ever the sole or major reason.

Frankly, if I really wanted to, I could accomplish all that Mr. Mehta did and more. But, I just don't give a flying crap. Some people feel like getting into Hahvard is their chef d'oeuvre in life, and that once they get in, they should get a star every time they meet someone and flash their diploma. Well guess what, no one gives a flying f**k. Grow up, people. Life is much more than lines on a resume.

Fun fact: The director of the NCI was rejected by Harvard twice, if not thrice. Look where he is now.

FYI: This isn't coming from a failed person- FWIW, I have been accepted to an institution of similar repute as the big ol' H. And I am most likely not going- my full ride to my state school is a MUCH better deal. Eat that, Hahvard.

Last edited:
i remember when i used to care about prestige and **** like that but then i grew up and realized prestige ****** are some of the lamest and boring people out there.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Why? Do you want to follow down his path? A lot of us (in medical school) have no interest in heading to Harvard, applying for the Rhodes scholarship, or even putting that level of effort in to research.

:)

Grats to him though, we need people to do research.

I didn't even know what the Rhodes Scholarship was until 5 minutes ago.

I didn't even know what the Rhodes Scholarship was until 5 minutes ago.

:eek::eek::eek:

I almost choked on my water, thank you.

The Rhodes is the most prestigious and eliquent of awards to be given to the most noble and distinguished scholars in the colonies. Rhodes Scholars are the best of the best and shall be regarded as immortals amidst the mere mortals on Earth.

NOT! :laugh::laugh:

OP as a semi-finalist I can tell you that the Rhodes Scholarship is nothing but a bunch of BS as is the Marshall.

As a matter of a fact, half the kids I met were not what I would call future world leaders.

Oh and I was almost a Rhodes Scholar and I can't break a 30 on the mcat. Only taken it once two years ago though. But anyway the Rhodes means nothing. Harvard acceptance is something though.

Harvard SOM hands down :)

Rhodes would not be a concern of mine.

I went to school with Akash....he is insanely, insanely smart...but also the most down to earth guy i know. He published papers for fun.

:eek::eek::eek:

I almost choked on my water, thank you.

The Rhodes is the most prestigious and eliquent of awards to be given to the most noble and distinguished scholars in the colonies. Rhodes Scholars are the best of the best and shall be regarded as immortals amidst the mere mortals on Earth.

NOT! :laugh::laugh:

OP as a semi-finalist I can tell you that the Rhodes Scholarship is nothing but a bunch of BS as is the Marshall.

As a matter of a fact, half the kids I met were not what I would call future world leaders.

Oh and I was almost a Rhodes Scholar and I can't break a 30 on the mcat. Only taken it once two years ago though. But anyway the Rhodes means nothing. Harvard acceptance is something though.

Well, really the Rhodes looks for something different than what a harvard acceptance looks for, though they typically share a requirement of high academic distinction.

I am Aakash and you have just been pwnd

Frankly, if I really wanted to, I could accomplish all that Mr. Mehta did and more. But, I just don't give a flying crap.

Frankly, if I really wanted to, I could win the Rhodes, cure cancer, win an Oscar, save a bus-full of orphans, and go back in time and make sure my mom and dad kiss on their first date. But, I just don't give a flying crap.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh crap, I wrote in my personal statement that the reason why I am not a Road Scholar is because I hate traveling.