If you have a health science major, will health science classes count towards sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetamazement

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, do med schools "look down" on health science majors, and other easy majors like education, communications, business, etc.

I am thinking of switching my microbiology major to a health science major, so that I have the best chance of raising my GPA as much as possible, since I am stuck right now with a stinky 3.5, and it went slight down last semester (still above 3.5).

The health science classes will include epidemiology, nutrition, disease prevention, drug education, etc.

Will medical schools look down on a health science major? I really want to get my gpa up to a 3.7+, but if med schools will be comparing a 3.75 health science major, and a 3.75 biology major, wouldn't they lean towards the biology major?

Members don't see this ad.

No, your health science classes do not count towards your BCMP.

The only health science classes that generally actually count as science classes at the undergraduate level are some of the pharmacy classes. Other than that, its all general cGPA. And a health science degree won't hurt you at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others, but would try counting them as BCPM anyway. There's no harm in trying although AMCAS may override your characterization of it.

Also, do medical schools look down on health science majors? If someone had a 3.7 as a health science major, vs someone with a 3.7 biology major, would medical schools prefer the biology major? What about a business major?

Also, do medical schools look down on health science majors? If someone had a 3.7 as a health science major, vs someone with a 3.7 biology major, would medical schools prefer the biology major? What about a business major?

Doesn't matter. Generally, med schools don't care what your major is. They do care how well you do in your science pre-req classes, which any applicant would have to take regardless of major.

Anyone with a 3.7 will be taken seriously as a candidate, no matter what the major.

The only thing important about majors is that you do well in them. You should enjoy them too.

One last thing. It's never a zero-sum game in admissions. Would medical schools prefer the biology major over the business major, if both have the same GPA? The answer is BOTH would be accepted!

Anyone with a 3.7 will be taken seriously as a candidate, no matter what the major.

The only thing important about majors is that you do well in them. You should enjoy them too.

One last thing. It's never a zero-sum game in admissions. Would medical schools prefer the biology major over the business major, if both have the same GPA? The answer is BOTH would be accepted!
It just seems like a biology major is more rigorous, while as a health science major is not seen as rigorous. I am thinking of switching to a health science major because I am interested in the elective classes that they offer (public health, epidemiology, etc.) I just want to make sure that this won't hurt my chances of getting into medical school.

The other thing to consider is what you'd do if you don't actually get accepted into medical school or if you change your mind about becoming a doctor. How will your education prepare you for life and career? And how will you degree help you land those first few jobs?

Reactions: 1 user

I feel like, when push comes to shove, if the school is actively seeking diversity in their class, the non-biology major might not get the preference over the business major.

The other thing to consider is what you'd do if you don't actually get accepted into medical school or if you change your mind about becoming a doctor. How will your education prepare you for life and career? And how will you degree help you land those first few jobs?
I am really interested in becoming a doctor, and I will apply to DO schools if I won't get into MD schools. I have a decent GPA for DO schools and can raise it up. I am really committed to the career of medicine.

I feel like, when push comes to shove, if the school is actively seeking diversity in their class, the non-biology major might not get the preference over the business major.
You mean the business major would get preference over the health science major (non biology)?

Again, it doesn't come down to a single factor like that. For example, consider that the business major might have had some years in business before realizing that was not for him/her. This person will be cosidered ina differentlight than someone fresh out of Whaton, or undergrad.

Ditto the bio major who spent several years as a research tech, vs the 22 year fresh out of Portland State. The single variable of major doesn't necessarily equal diversity.

Again, it doesn't come down to a single factor like that. For example, consider that the business major might have had some years in business before realizing that was not for him/her. This person will be cosidered ina differentlight than someone fresh out of Whaton, or undergrad.

Ditto the bio major who spent several years as a research tech, vs the 22 year fresh out of Portland State. The single variable of major doesn't necessarily equal diversity.

Admittedly, I had not thought of it like that.

Do medical schools look down on fresh college graduates who knew they wantes to be a doctor from the start?

edit: didn't see Goro's response

I'm curious as to what your exact "health science" major is because you say its so easy. I'm also considered a "health science" major but we have to take a whole slew of difficult classes including physiology, anatomy, orgo I and II, Physics 1 and II, biochem, biomechanics, etc.

I'm curious as to what your exact "health science" major is because you say its so easy. I'm also considered a "health science" major but we have to take a whole slew of difficult classes including physiology, anatomy, orgo I and II, Physics 1 and II, biochem, biomechanics, etc.
It's a major geared towards pre professional health students that also gives a bachelors degree. Basically, I have to take the requirements for my choice of a pre health program (which would be pre med for me), plus upper division health science electives, such as public health, women's health, men's health, epidemiology, etc. Various electives. But this specific one is geared towards pre health students (pre med, pre dental, pre pharmacy, pre physical therapy etc). There are other varients of it, such as school health, which is for those who want to teach health in high schools. These people don't have to be in a pre health program, but my specific one is available to pre health students only.