If you heard this would you speak up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were walking down the hallway and heard a nurse, technician, or any staff member blasting the f word would you speak up and tell them their language is inappropriate?

I am a pharmacy student working as a pharmacy technician in a hospital, and a coworker whom I just recently met was walking with me down the halls in the hospital saying the f word every other sentence, walking past patients, guests, and even attendings!!!!

I think it's very unprofessional, and I wish someone would have spoken up. I'm new to the department, and while I plan on speaking to the person if it keeps up, I don't think'll they'll listen and may even start rumors and say I'm a baby/tattle-tale (these people still act like they're in high school).

As a pharmacy student, I think it's very unprofessional. I wish one of the attendings would have reported this guy to our pharmacy director. The technician talks just like this in central inpatient pharmacy, and no one says anything including the pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Life is 10% what you say and 90% how you say it. Pull them aside and let them know but don't burn any bridges, especially considering that you are new.

Reactions: 2 users
What does pharmacists cursing have to do with the allopathic med student forum?
Because the pharmacist had the gull to curse in front of even the attendings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I felt this related to allopathic because throughout the day attendings overheard this guy cursing and I was surprised none of them addressed the issue, especially with sick patients and their families in close proximity. And because you guys run the show.

Just ignore it, otherwise you are really just asking for trouble

has anyone asked for your opinion on professionalism?

Reactions: 3 users
has anyone asked for your opinion on professionalism?
This.. Mind your own business. You are not their mother. You will look like the ahole if you speak up. I guarantee it

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I felt this related to allopathic because throughout the day attendings overheard this guy cursing and I was surprised none of them addressed the issue, especially with sick patients and their families in close proximity. And because you guys run the show.

Why didn't you say something ? Doctors don't run the show any more my friend. They are not direct supervisors of support staff. If you are in a non-private practice setting, Technicians/janitors/clerks can give the senior attending the middle finger and walk away. They don't have 360 evaluations. They have unions. The doctor will most likely be facing an EEO complaint (the off chance the said employee was black and the doctor was a shade lighter)

Wait, you can't drop f bombs in hospitals? Well, there goes 99% of our residents here.

I'm tired of these mutha****in patients in this mutha****in hospital!

Reactions: 19 users

There's a lot of the "f word" being thrown around everywhere in the hospital; so long as it is not being said in front of patients, being generally disruptive like screaming in the hallway, or being used to berate someone, I personally have no issues if co-workers are cursing during conversations between each other. Not an all-inclusive list, but you get the idea. And don't even ask how many people put curse words in their EMR/PACS passwords after they tire of the frequent "change password" prompts.

If you personally are upset by someone cursing in conversation with you, say something so they know how you feel.

Reactions: 5 users
I find it offensive that you find this offensive. Reported.

Reactions: 7 users
Rx: lorazepam 2mg po stat, patient may refuse if she learns to M.H.O.B.
Lol. Thats a big dose of Ativan. Are you trying to sedate them completely?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's important that you learn to pick your battles. Fighting this specific battle has little merit for you, if any at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Thats a big dose of Ativan. Are you trying to sedate them completely?

I thought 2mg lorazepam was pretty typical for anxiety (or agitation in this case)?

I probably would have said something. There's a reason why f-bombs are considered INAPPROPRIATE language... But then again, exactly 0 people in the hospital care about what an MS3 has to say lol

While I agree with you its unprofessional, certain aspects of what's "professional" (language, clothing, etc.) can vary from workplace to workplace. Obviously none of the full-time employees from several departments (medical, nursing, pharmacy, etc.) have a problem with your co-worker's use of the F word. It seems extremely unlikely that anybody is going to care what you, as a new employee, thinks of this situation. If patients started to complain, than probably something would be done. But if patients are also OK with this (as they apparently are, since they aren't complaining), then it is what it is. Best thing for you would be to keep quiet on your thoughts about this matter, and if it bothers you that much, look for another job.

If I were to hear the same thing as a student I would do nothing. If I were an attending (or in some position of authority besides a student), I would ask them about it in a respectful manner.

I thought 2mg lorazepam was pretty typical for anxiety (or agitation in this case)?

I probably would have said something. There's a reason why f-bombs are considered INAPPROPRIATE language... But then again, exactly 0 people in the hospital care about what an MS3 has to say lol
Meh... I wouldn't go and give 2mg of ativan to a benzo naive person...

that's like ciwa protocol level

Not as a starting dose its not unless they are literally having like a anxiety attack or something and you just want to send them into lala land. But starting dose is usually 0.5 mg. People can get pretty loopy on benzos.

Last edited:
Rx: lorazepam 2mg po stat, patient may refuse if she learns to M.H.O.B.

perhaps ua (up anus, suppository) instead of po?

... you know f*#@ first pass metabolism and all

What if the pharmacist was saying the "c word"?

While I agree with you its unprofessional, certain aspects of what's "professional" (language, clothing, etc.) can vary from workplace to workplace. Obviously none of the full-time employees from several departments (medical, nursing, pharmacy, etc.) have a problem with your co-worker's use of the F word. It seems extremely unlikely that anybody is going to care what you, as a new employee, thinks of this situation. If patients started to complain, than probably something would be done. But if patients are also OK with this (as they apparently are, since they aren't complaining), then it is what it is. Best thing for you would be to keep quiet on your thoughts about this matter, and if it bothers you that much, look for another job.
I might be new to the department...but I'm in pharmacy school...how do you think I got this job?

Meh I've given 6 mg and seen it work like a BB gun against a freight train.
That may be so for a drug addict or someone who has built up a tolerance. But, you still wouldn't give a 6mg as a starting dose, especially with no evidence to support prior drug use/abuse, as this patient did not provide! :)

I might be new to the department...but I'm in pharmacy school...how do you think I got this job?

Where did I ever say that you weren't in pharmacy school? I'm saying that as a new employee (and it doesn't matter what department you are working in or the degree you have), you are going to have to fit in with the hospital's prevailing culture. Even a CEO who came it, would have an uphill battle trying to change a hospital's culture (but a CEO who didn't already support the hospital's culture would be extremely unlikely to get the job.) I agree with you the word is unprofessional, but its not illegal, and there are no national hospital standards against using it.

As a student? Nothing. Do nothing, make no waves, pass

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
One of the ER docs in my hometown would unleash a healthy stream of obscenities when a nurse or tech would second guess him. It seemed oddly appropriate.

swearing makes the workplace more fun/less stressful

true fact

it's not your place. now, if they cuss AT YOU then that is a different story.

maybe each individual person needs to get over themselves

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a workplace free of words that are generally considered unprofessional and can easily be taken as offensive. This also all depends on the frequency. That's my opinion and I'm conservative. Obviously you and millions of others feel differently, which is totally fine.

well, if you're around patients and family u want to run it a bit cooler obviously.

and if you're a newcomer, i can see why you would feel uncomfortable with it

otherwise, i don't think its a big deal and can help make the workplace less rigid

If you were walking down the hallway and heard a nurse, technician, or any staff member blasting the f word would you speak up and tell them their language is inappropriate?

I don't think it is your responsibility as a student to decide what sort of language is considered unprofessional on the wards. As long as nobody's health or safety is in obvious danger and nobody is being severely harassed, it is not your place to get on a moral high-horse as a student and start trying to tell senior staff how to behave in a hospital. If a patient is offended by it let them complain and then it will be addressed by the appropriate parties. One of the attendings/pharmacists/administrators who actually hold clout over how staff behave will speak up and get them in line if they feel it is inappropriate, but as a student it is definitely not your place and you will come off looking rather pompous and emotionally fragile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's unreasonable to want a workplace free of words that are generally considered unprofessional and can easily be taken as offensive. This also all depends on the frequency. That's my opinion and I'm conservative. Obviously you and millions of others feel differently, which is totally fine.
What you mean to say is that you are sensitive.

I wouldn't make an enemy. Ignore it and let them make an idiot of themself.

What you mean to say is that you are sensitive.

Sounds like that is more your opinion, rather than my opinion of myself, which would depend on your definition. I do not consider myself sensitive.

Sounds like that is more your opinion, rather than my opinion of myself, which would depend on your definition. I do not consider myself sensitive.
But only a sensitive person would try and defend themselves about being sensitive. A non sensivite (made up word) wouldn't care and would let it flow over them, not giving it a second thought; as you should do when you hear someone curse in the hospital! (Which is kind of my point)

But only a sensitive person would try and defend themselves about being sensitive. A non sensivite (made up word) wouldn't care and would let it flow over them, not giving it a second thought; as you should do when you hear someone curse in the hospital! (Which is kind of my point)

Okay

You're an anti-sensivite!

a8bff03b36f47535d29388c87eeb720e.jpg

I appreciate your standards and I think everyone does. Foul language can make people feel uncomfortable and we should all expect professionalism from our colleagues.

Here's the problem: you are a student and ultimately your job is to learn. If you try to change the culture or confront individuals who may have more than a decade of experience (and are NOT students, but rather working there for a living), you may land yourself in a bad spot from a PR standpoint. By all means, speak up if you feel compelled, but understand that the reality is that you may end up feeling uncomfortable around those individuals should you run into them in the future. In my humble opinion, you've got enough to worry about and learn. Don't add stress to your pate. Remember, that you are there to learn, pay your dues, and then move the heck on with your life. Someday, you will be in a position to lead culture changes at your place of work. For now, keep a mental checklist of the things that you consider good, bad, or otherwise about all the place where you spend time during your training. This will help you immensely in your job search and defining your career goals.

Don't try to impress and don't try to prove yourself at this juncture in your career. Head down, nose to the grindstone, fly below the radar. Safest, best strategy for any student. Just my 2 cents...

As long as they aren't sweating in front of patients or administrators, they're fine. This isn't a church, it's a hospital.

Of all of my swearing co-workers were fired, the patients would pretty much have no one to care for them.

Last edited:
I appreciate your standards and I think everyone does. Foul language can make people feel uncomfortable and we should all expect professionalism from our colleagues.

Here's the problem: you are a student and ultimately your job is to learn. If you try to change the culture or confront individuals who may have more than a decade of experience (and are NOT students, but rather working there for a living), you may land yourself in a bad spot from a PR standpoint. By all means, speak up if you feel compelled, but understand that the reality is that you may end up feeling uncomfortable around those individuals should you run into them in the future. In my humble opinion, you've got enough to worry about and learn. Don't add stress to your pate. Remember, that you are there to learn, pay your dues, and then move the heck on with your life. Someday, you will be in a position to lead culture changes at your place of work. For now, keep a mental checklist of the things that you consider good, bad, or otherwise about all the place where you spend time during your training. This will help you immensely in your job search and defining your career goals.

Don't try to impress and don't try to prove yourself at this juncture in your career. Head down, nose to the grindstone, fly below the radar. Safest, best strategy for any student. Just my 2 cents...

A few people ITT don't think along the same lines.