If you're still thinking about going the non-APA program and/or internship route...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeLove

Forensic Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently informed by a colleague who does consultative work with, umm...a very large federal agency, that there has been some internal legislation that has come down which will require all psychologists doing consultative work to have completed APA approved programs and internships. I was somewhat shocked this wasn't the case already, given the limitations/rules about this when working for the VA or BOP, but regardless, there are going to be a good number of psychologists who essentially will likely be let go, given that it is contract work, as soon as this gets finalized, no grandfathering from what it sounds. So...to any and all students even contemplating attending Jim Henson University School of Professional Psychology (or any similar ones), or of doing that non-APA internship just to get it done with, just don't.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
[QUOTE="BuckeyeLove, post: 20404389, member: 601048" there are going to be a good number of psychologists who essentially will likely be let go, given that it is contract work, as soon as this gets finalized, no grandfathering from what it sounds.[/QUOTE]

That seem idiotic.

It's probably less idiotic and more of a calculated maneuver. This way, they have a justification to get rid of people who are mediocre, at best, at their jobs, but who have thus far been difficult to get rid of. They can also bring on people with less seniority so they can pay them less.

Someone I know works at a place that merged with the VA and they made everyone re-interview for their own jobs for this very purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems inconsistent with the recent move by the VA to accept interns/psychologists from programs accredited by CPA (Canada) or PCSAS (US) - or do you mean specifically people who graduated from non-accredited or only regionally accredited programs?

I was recently informed by a colleague who does consultative work with, umm...a very large federal agency, that there has been some internal legislation that has come down which will require all psychologists doing consultative work to have completed APA approved programs and internships. I was somewhat shocked this wasn't the case already, given the limitations/rules about this when working for the VA or BOP, but regardless, there are going to be a good number of psychologists who essentially will likely be let go, given that it is contract work, as soon as this gets finalized, no grandfathering from what it sounds. So...to any and all students even contemplating attending Jim Henson University School of Professional Psychology (or any similar ones), or of doing that non-APA internship just to get it done with, just don't.

Good!!

So...to any and all students even contemplating attending Jim Henson University School of Professional Psychology (or any similar ones), or of doing that non-APA internship just to get it done with, just don't.

But,I planned to specialize in Puppet Therapy and they have a track, where am I supposed to go now ?!?

Reactions: 1 users
But,I planned to specialize in Puppet Therapy and they have a track, where am I supposed to go now ?!?
269117-19.jpg

Reactions: 1 user