Ignore First Application? Reapplicant interview.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emsteez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN!

I got an interview into a bridge program at a local medical school. Nontraditional, 35 yr old, 493 on the MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 3.6 Sci, have valuable life experience, forged in the fires of Mordor, etc.… All the typical stats of a second career person who is vying for a spot in a bridge program (guaranteed admission upon coursework completion and minimum MCAT score).

My question is about my first application. Long story short, it was garbage. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't have the time to apply to med school, it was absolutely the wrong year to try. I didn't know how to even review the application before I submitted it. I didn't read about what I should do for the Casper exam, because I took it at face value when people told me you can't study for it. My essays were fine, but they weren't soul bearing. I even duplicated an experience by mistake, and in the comment block it just said "leave something here."

It was that bad.

So basically, I have an interview next week, and while I know that they will likely have a copy of my old application, I don't really wanna focus on it. If they bring it up, I probably am just going to say that I learned so much about how to apply to med school this past cycle. And that I'm so glad I didn't rush the process this time, and decided to be really candid about who I really am.

I have good interpersonal skills, and I'm hoping that I can just get away with saying some of that, and expressing my gratitude for them recognizing that my application improved.

I don't want to be naïve, but is it possible for me to get away with not even reviewing that first application? I don't see how it would benefit me to focus on it. Is this the wrong way of looking at this?

@Goro - Would you mind giving me your two cents if you have the time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey SDN!

I got an interview into a bridge program at a local medical school. Nontraditional, 35 yr old, 493 on the MCAT, 3.7 GPA, 3.6 Sci, have valuable life experience, forged in the fires of Mordor, etc.… All the typical stats of a second career person who is vying for a spot in a bridge program (guaranteed admission upon coursework completion and minimum MCAT score).

My question is about my first application. Long story short, it was garbage. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't have the time to apply to med school, it was absolutely the wrong year to try. I didn't know how to even review the application before I submitted it. I didn't read about what I should do for the Casper exam, because I took it at face value when people told me you can't study for it. My essays were fine, but they weren't soul bearing. I even duplicated an experience by mistake, and in the comment block it just said "leave something here."

It was that bad.

So basically, I have an interview next week, and while I know that they will likely have a copy of my old application, I don't really wanna focus on it. If they bring it up, I probably am just going to say that I learned so much about how to apply to med school this past cycle. And that I'm so glad I didn't rush the process this time, and decided to be really candid about who I really am.

I have good interpersonal skills, and I'm hoping that I can just get away with saying some of that, and expressing my gratitude for them recognizing that my application improved.

I don't want to be naïve, but is it possible for me to get away with not even reviewing that first application? I don't see how it would benefit me to focus on it. Is this the wrong way of looking at this?

@Goro - Would you mind giving me your two cents if you have the time?
Telling the truth is always a good strategy.

Be especially prepared to explained how you improved since the last cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
No one wants to ruminate on failures.

But if they do ask you better not get flustered. Know why it failed and what you learned from it. "I didn't have a lot of guidance and mainly used internet resources. I now see the importance of fully resesarching... blah blah blah"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not go out of your way to mention your prior application but would be prepared to answer questions about it. If asked, it’s important to be introspective and demonstrate that you have the ability to receive and act on feedback. I think there is a natural temptation among applicants to bring up weaknesses without being asked in order to head off concerns, which I would not recommend. There is no guarantee your interviewer will have access to the prior years application (some schools limit info interviewers can see to prevent bias). Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Y'all rock. Thank you for your feedback. I went ahead and looked at it, and it wasn't quite as bad as I thought.
Telling the truth is always a good strategy.

Be especially prepared to explained how you improved since the last cycle.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: 1 user
I would not go out of your way to mention your prior application but would be prepared to answer questions about it. If asked, it’s important to be introspective and demonstrate that you have the ability to receive and act on feedback. I think there is a natural temptation among applicants to bring up weaknesses without being asked in order to head off concerns, which I would not recommend. There is no guarantee your interviewer will have access to the prior years application (some schools limit info interviewers can see to prevent bias). Best of luck to you.
Thank you very much!

Thank you very much!

is that the school's minimum? crazy low...that's a podiatry level MCAT
Jimmy, I am going to pretend you aren't trolling.

Since you seem unaware, Bridge programs create a space for students who are underrepresented in medicine, those often not preened to go to medical school in the first place, to do well on the MCAT and on their Step 1 exams. Think of it like a 5-year medical school format that requires you to take the MCAT as a baseline for the school to assess where you are starting from.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
As a follow up: interview went well. I was prepared to answer this question. I fell further in love with the school during the interview if that was even possible. 😅 I got accepted into an alternative admissions program, completed it, improved my MCAT, met my admissions agreement, and matriculate DO in 3 weeks!

Thank you Goro! I have followed your advice for years and it really paid off! You are a legend.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
As a follow up: interview went well. I was prepared to answer this question. I fell further in love with the school during the interview if that was even possible. 😅 I got accepted into an alternative admissions program, completed it, improved my MCAT, met my admissions agreement, and matriculate DO in 3 weeks!

Thank you Goro! I have followed your advice for years and it really paid off! You are a legend.
My second try with the application process I got asked about the previous attempt every interview. A great chance to display self awareness of your past delinquencies and what you are doing to improve.