IL MPJE: My Revenge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopeepants

Reaction score
I failed the MPJE for IL on my 1st attempt but passed on my 2nd attempt. For my 2nd attempt I used Rickert's packet, and the IL Pharmacist Law MPJE Study guide from rxpharmacist website I pretty much read through the book and Rickert's packet again and made flash cards. The best thing I did was make sure I absolutely understood the law and was able to apply it to situations I could think of. On my 2nd attempt I scored a 79 which was 5 points better than the 74 on my 1st attempt. I will say this I personally think the MPJE is BS. It is a very subjective exam where test writers have no concept of grammar.

ADVICE:
1.) Read every question, answer choice, and word. Literally one word can completely change an answer or question.
2.) Do not rush. My 1st attempt I got done 1.5 hours early and feel I missed things. My 2nd attempt I was very deliberate and got done 15 minutes early.
3.) Know definitions and difference of words.For example: May means doing something is optional. Shall means doing something is mandatory.
4.) Remember to answer questions with answers that best protect patient safety, provides care, and as my pharmacy law professor said: "err on the side of discipline."
5.) You will not see straight forward questions on this exam
6.) If it is a question you do not know or you narrow things down, be wary of answer choices with that contain absolutes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I barely passed the IL law. Mind you, this was after taking a different state’ MPJE and passing with a decent margin.

I failed the MPJE for IL on my 1st attempt but passed on my 2nd attempt. For my 2nd attempt I used Rickert's packet, and the IL Pharmacist Law MPJE Study guide from rxpharmacist website I pretty much read through the book and Rickert's packet again and made flash cards. The best thing I did was make sure I absolutely understood the law and was able to apply it to situations I could think of. On my 2nd attempt I scored a 79 which was 5 points better than the 74 on my 1st attempt. I will say this I personally think the MPJE is BS. It is a very subjective exam where test writers have no concept of grammar.

ADVICE:
1.) Read every question, answer choice, and word. Literally one word can completely change an answer or question.
2.) Do not rush. My 1st attempt I got done 1.5 hours early and feel I missed things. My 2nd attempt I was very deliberate and got done 15 minutes early.
3.) Know definitions and difference of words.For example: May means doing something is optional. Shall means doing something is mandatory.
4.) Remember to answer questions with answers that best protect patient safety, provides care, and as my pharmacy law professor said: "err on the side of discipline."
5.) You will not see straight forward questions on this exam
6.) If it is a question you do not know or you narrow things down, be wary of answer choices with that contain absolutes.

that great for you!! I wanted to ask you how long did it take you to study both (the book and the packet) and how many hours did you put in everyday? Also, what are your strategies that you used for the second attempt or what did you do differently for the second attempt? any help would be appreciate! Thanks.

Yeah I barely passed the IL law. Mind you, this was after taking a different state’ MPJE and passing with a decent margin.
After passing, hownlong before your license was issued? I went through continental and received the temp paper license. Is there anything else for me to do?

Members don't see this ad :)
After passing, hownlong before your license was issued? I went through continental and received the temp paper license. Is there anything else for me to do?

It took like 4 weeks for the license to get issued. Make sure you send back the bottom of that form signed and the check for 75$.

I had to submit another ED-PHM form since my school submitted it before I graduated (they gave me my ATT before I technically graduated) and they needed one from afterwards to issue my license. I have a feeling that’s why it took so long.

that great for you!! I wanted to ask you how long did it take you to study both (the book and the packet) and how many hours did you put in everyday? Also, what are your strategies that you used for the second attempt or what did you do differently for the second attempt? any help would be appreciate! Thanks.

Honestly, it took about a month to get through the packet the 1st attempt; did not have book 1st attempt. About 4-5 hours of studying per day. The 2nd attempt, I got the book mainly for the 240 exam style questions they had. The only difference was more practice questions, other than that not much difference at all TBH.

Reactions: 1 user
I just took my Illinois exam today for the 3rd time. 71 and 73. I studied really hard for my third one. I read rickert’s I skimmed the statues I did pharmacyexam and pronto pass. I did everything I can do. But the exam was so hard. It was really heavy nothing was straight forward..all the answeres were narrowed down to 2 answers. Some of them just made no sense and u couldn’t narrow it down to anything. Some of them I’ve never seen before and I don’t even know where to look for them...it was so hard and idk what to do now...HELP??

I just took my Illinois exam today for the 3rd time. 71 and 73. I studied really hard for my third one. I read rickert’s I skimmed the statues I did pharmacyexam and pronto pass. I did everything I can do. But the exam was so hard. It was really heavy nothing was straight forward..all the answeres were narrowed down to 2 answers. Some of them just made no sense and u couldn’t narrow it down to anything. Some of them I’ve never seen before and I don’t even know where to look for them...it was so hard and idk what to do now...HELP??

I hope you passed this 3rd time because then you will have to do remedial education to take it again per IL law. As I said pick the answer that best stresses patient safety, that allows you to provide care for the patient, that errs on side of discipline. Also, if something seems to have an arbitrary deadline or has absolutes like all Pharmds must do so and so odds are it is not the correct answer. Also used the book from RXpharmarcist website which had 240 questions that were similar to MPJE

“Just pick the best answer”. It is easier to be said than done.

After you are able to narrow down to two answers, you should ask yourself what is the best for patients. In fact, that is what Professor Rickert said to us in class.

If a suspected drug user/dealer come to pharmacy for narcotic with his wife who has black eye. Some may judge, some may call doctor, and withheld treatment. The best answer is to give them the drug. Our job is do “no harm” and “help patients”. It is not our job to judge or cure social issues.

Professor even said minor laws can be overlooked if you have patients interests at heart, court will not find you wrong if you have good justifications.

I studied for two nights with his package and kept what he said in mind and I passed the exam in one try. Questions on the exam always appear to have two good answers. I followed his advice and breezed through the exam.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile