Illinois Interview- February 18, 2008

Started by Tiger1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tiger1

UIUC-VMSP (DVM/PhD) Y2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about lunch request for that day. On the website, it says that response form for lunch is due this Friday. I never got a form about lunch request. It also says that there is no vendor, so I don't want to be hungry during my activity sessions. My interview is in the morning, otherwise, I would eat a big breakfast. Does anyone know anything about the lunch issue? Thanks.
 
The lunch form was a PDF file that you had to print out and mail in. I didn't place an order - my interview is at 1 so I figure I can hold out until after that for lunch.
 
Thanks ShelterGirl. I'll have to go home and re-read the snail mail and see if I can locate the address for the PDF file. It's just lunch, but since this is my one of two vet school interviews-- I want to participate in all the activities including boxed lunches. 🙂

I wish it is end of February already so that I would have some definite responses. How are you holding up ShelterGirl?

Hope we will be classmates in August. Wouldn't that be awesome!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would think if you brought your lunch with you, you could still eat with everyone and not have to eat the box lunch, which one of the interview feedback people referred to last year as "nasty".
 
I would think if you brought your lunch with you, you could still eat with everyone and not have to eat the box lunch, which one of the interview feedback people referred to last year as "nasty".

Which just goes to show that EVERY school, from kindergarten to fancy-schmancy veterinary school, has one thing in common: icky cafeteria food! 😀
 
If the box lunch was anything like the box lunches for commencement 2007, they won't be anything special. If you really want sandwiches, there's a Jimmy Johns about 3 (really more like six) blocks north on Lincoln Avenue. Or people could just hit the strip of fast food on neil street.

Me, I'm going to see my old friend Eric at this lunch cart east of Noyes lab. Lot's of fresh stuff for low prices. Ah, undergrad. Too bad the interviews aren't on a Friday. They have these huge fish sandwiches there.

TRUTH74
 
Okay. You guys convinced me not to fill out the lunch box form. I'll just bring a candy/snack bar to hold me over until I get back to the train station.

Thanks.
 
I am curious about the DVM/PhD program at IL. Is there anyone on this site who is a current student in the IL program? I would love to hear more about your schedule. The website information is not very extensive. I know that it is NOT a NIH/government program like VMSTP, but it still has the tuition waiver and the stipend. I am current in basic science research and I am very interested in applying for the program. Application is due in April.
 
Any significance to interview times? IS in the morning and OOS in afternoon? Its clearly not alphabetical since my last name begins w/ V (still a little bitter about going from B to V when I got married LOL) and I am at 9:30 AM. I know, I know...totally reading into things. Maybe they just want to get mine over with so they can get to the "good" applicants
 
My interview is in the afternoon and I am OOS, so thats definitely a possibility. But you are right akitavet, it can't be alphabetical because my interview is 3pm and my last name starts with L!

3pm interview is going to kill me. I am not normally nervous, but i like to get things over with. And while i am excited to listen to people who come out of interviews (especially if they do what I've read and use the same questions all day), its going to be a long day. I will have to try not to focus on the interview all day - yeah like thats going to happen!
 
My interview is at 10 AM, my last name starts with M, and I'm OOS. Normally, I'd be all happy with a morning (but not REALLY early) interview, but in this case it's annoying, because if it was later, I could have spent the night with my brother in Chicago and then drove down. Instead, I need to come the night before, spend the night in a lovely (and by lovely I mean cold and impersonal) hotel before my interview. yay.
 
Both of my OOS interviews (Auburn and IL) are in the afternoon (1:30 and 2 p.m.). My instate interview, however, is bright and early at 8:20 a.m. I don't like to wait, but it gives me enough time to get there ontime for the OOS interviews, so I'm not complaining. Oh, and my last name starts with S. so it can't be it.
 
Just a friendly warning or two...

I interviewed at Illinois last year, and the day was very, very long. The information session was a bit poorly planned. Several (and by several, I mean almost everyone) interviewees brought their parents, and the parents took up most of the seating. I had to stand for the whole thing, and in heels, that was a killer. The tour is also difficult on the feet, so bring some comfortable shoes with you. Also, parking was a nightmare, and be prepared to walk a good distance.

My interview was in the afternoon, and the info session was in the morning, so I went back to my hotel for a few hours to relax and "study" for my interview. There's not much to do in the interim if you stay on campus.

And finally, a blizzard hit the day of my interview, and I ended up snowed in for several days, because the roads were closed. So bring at least an extra set of clothing, and stay in a hotel that either has a restaurant or a "breakfast" area. The restaurants all closed, and we had no other access to food for the first 2 days. February is COLD in Illinois (it was like minus 5).

Best wishes to all of you!
 
Just to let people, know. We just had a little bit of snow(about 7-10") on Friday. We might have gotten it out of our systems, but our weather is very variable this time of year. Earlier in the week, it was in the high 40's /low 50's.

I doubt that anything like what happened last year will occur. It was the first time in some 30 years that the campus actually closed two days in a row due to snow.
We had piles of snow (taller than people) that had paths carved through them. It was fabulous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright! Booked my hotel. If anyone see's a girl with an akita at the hawthorne suites, that would be me and my girl. If you see a guy with her, that's my husband. Well...that is unless there are lots of people bringing their akitas with to the interview. Its $20 to board her or $25 to bring her to the hotel and she's spoiled rotten so she's coming!
 
i was planning on bringing my husband that day-i figured he'd be interested in the info session and the tour and everything. i also did not get the box lunch and i figured we'd run into town and grab something before my interview at 1:30. i hope its not too crowded, now that someone mentioned all the parents there i wonder if my husband shouldn't come? hrmm...

akita-i'll keep my eyes peeled for you at the Hawthorne suites! i have nothing remarkable except bright green heavy rimmed glasses.....
 
I think bringing your husband is fine. Just ask him not to take a seat if that leaves an interview candidate standing.

I think that's just good manners.
 
Anyone going to this and want to share a hotel room Sunday night? I'm traveling alone and would be happy to split a double room with someone to reduce costs.

Anyone else looking to reduce the costs of interviews?

(Hopefully this doesn't seem creepy, haha)
 
So I am getting pumped for the interview day on Monday and I was trying to find some more information about UIUC. The website, while very complete, is slightly vague. Does anyone know more about the strengths of the school in terms of areas, specifics about the program? Anyone currently a student there want to share your thoughts?

I like to get information about the school so I can be prepared with questions for admissions people/interviewers/students, whoever. I would appreciate anything anyone knows!
 
I was a student at the college of ACES, but I mainly saw the LA side of things.
There is a working dairy and standard bred (pacers) stud surrounding the property. There is also the wildlife medical clinic. Since I was in undergrad, I do not have any"specific" information on the CVM. We have a very strong dental program paid for by a nice lady. We got a spanking new horse sized mri machine last year. I think I mentioned before, somewhere,(don't remember🙂) that we have a very progressive interdisciplinary reproductive biology program. Dr. Yao just got a pretty big award for his research on gametogenesis.

In a side note: The forecasts for Monday will be:
wcia: 27 high 10 low
wicd: 28 high 20 low
wand: 29 high 21 low

Just thought you guys would like to know.
Truth74
 
Is there any chance anyone can comment on the snow situation? I'll bring my snow boots if there it's necessary, but I like to travel light and I would rather not.
 
Is there any chance anyone can comment on the snow situation? I'll bring my snow boots if there it's necessary, but I like to travel light and I would rather not.

I don't have snow boots (considering I'm in Florida), but I'm bringing boots either way! Cold weather doesn't like me, haha.

I hope the interview day isn't TOO hectic. 😳
 
I wish that I had more info for you... Right now we don't have any snow on the ground. Saturday night we are supposed to get a "wintry mix" followed by rain on Sunday and maybe light snow Sunday night/Monday. It sounds like they think any "real" snow will track towards northern IL - at least for now.
 
So I wonder if the whole NIU shooting will affect the interviews. Apparently the kid was a current student at UI-Urbana-Champagne student. I couldn't believe when I heard the news. My heart goes out to anyone affected.
 
The man was a uiuc graduate student. He worked at the college of social work. He bought 2 of the guns in champaign, and he lived in my old apartment complex. There may still be news agencies with their trucks on campus monday. The town may not be as happy as it usually is.

As for weather, what bclover said. rainy snow or snowy rain over the course of the weekend.
 
So I wonder if the whole NIU shooting will affect the interviews. Apparently the kid was a current student at UI-Urbana-Champagne student. I couldn't believe when I heard the news. My heart goes out to anyone affected.

Omg, that is really scary to think about. I'm sure they'd send out an email and/or call if the interviews are affected.

What is with all of these school shootings, anyway?! It's so disturbing.
 
Interviews are gonna go on as planned...we got a reminder today about carpooling (to make room for you all in the parking lot) and volunteer assignments.

On the non-interview side for anyone who is interested we also got this e-mail today:
"On Monday, February 18, the University of Illinois is hosting a campus/community vigil that will begin at 9:00 p.m. on the north end of the Quad in the wake of the February 14 shootings at Northern Illinois University.

The memorial vigil will enable the campus community to express solidarity for our colleagues at Northern Illinois University. A threat to any campus community undermines the educational environment which we strive to protect.

Our deepest condolences go out to the families of the victims of the tragedy at Northern Illinois University. We are especially saddened that a member of our campus community would commit such a violent and horrific act. We will come together not only to lament the losses that were suffered at Northern, but also to renew our commitment to ensuring an environment where students, faculty and staff can live, learn and work without being threatened by the rage and hostility of others."
 
this year - 273 interviews

last year's entering class (2011 grads) was 120 students (but a few were transfers or returns from the previous class)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
any breakdown Mavtwi of OOS and IS for that 273? Not that it matters...me knowing how many instate applicants and calculating statistics is going to make absolutely no difference in whether I get accepted or not!
 
I don't know the exact breakdown of numbers but if you are instate they usually interview around 2 people for every IS position available.

If you are OOS they tend to interview a very large number and accept about four times as many people as they have positions for because of the large number who decline (because of admission at other schools, in state tuition elsewhere, etc).

Best of luck to everyone interviewing on Monday!! Relax and have fun with it!
 
so at 8 AM this morning, I get a phone call telling me my flight has been cancelled, but I've been put on "the next available flight," which has a frickin' stopover in Pittsburgh. Of course, there is another flight, but it takes two phone calls to get it.

I just love airlines.
 
so at 8 AM this morning, I get a phone call telling me my flight has been cancelled, but I've been put on "the next available flight," which has a frickin' stopover in Pittsburgh. Of course, there is another flight, but it takes two phone calls to get it.

I just love airlines.

That sucks! Boo on the airlines!
 
Well, yesterday was warm, for here. Today has started out rainy and warm.
The forecast says there's a dip coming through late this evening.
Monday's forecast:
wcia 29 high 9 low
wicd 26 high 20 low
wand 27 high 24 low
 
is anyone staying at eastland suites? im here by myself and super bored! im just working on a paper and ill probably just get ready for the day tomorrow. if anyone wants to hang out, PLEASE EMAIL ME! [email protected]. itd be nice to see another human face
 
i was SO hyped up for the interview-like, i thought i was going to puke or poo my pants or something, and it was so casual and nice! what did everyone else think? and the weather was SO weird. but hey-thats illinois...
 
I thought the interviews were reeeeally relaxed also 🙂 I had to drive back to St. Louis that afternoon and the weather (mainly the wind) sucked. That was probably the best interview I had ever had. The informational session was good, too. I have a Mac and I didn't know how I felt about the tablet PCs.
 
It was like old home week for me. I saw all of these people that I went to undergrad with. It kind of reminded me of ACES, but with less people.
I'm hoping I'll be on the other side of the tour next year.

As for the wind, I'm grateful the weather did not turn out how the forecasts were starting to say it would be last night. The snow was over by last night or mearly morning. It was so dry, it didn't stick. And the sun came out in the afternoon. 😳

Hope I see everybody I saw in August.

TRUTH74
 
That interview was interesting...I had no idea how to answer half those questions. And that wind was really bad--I was driving down from Chicago, and I thought someone else's car would blow right into mine.

At least the students really seemed to love the school...that's one big plus.
 
yes! the wind was horrible! It totally killed my gas mileage! Now its just time to sit back and wait to hear.
 
I was amazed at how short they were after being at MN and interviewing for 75 minutes this one went by in a flash.
 
Yes, it felt like I'd just sat down and was getting used to the questions when it was, "Do you have any questions for us?"

However, I do appreciate the quick turn around. They said they'd have yes, no, waitlist mailed by next Monday. Dr. Foreman said in the afternoon information session, that they'd probably be done sooner than that.

None of the, "Let's leave you hanging for months," strategy for Illinois.
 
I, too, found it a very enjoyable day. The only real pressure that I felt was the pressure I put on myself in preparing for it. And, the students' enthusiasm was contagious!

Oh, and that kind of wind is pretty common for the area...

Now, here's to crossed fingers and toes!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
None of the, "Let's leave you hanging for months," strategy for Illinois.
That is very nice! Last year they interviewed on a monday and people were finding out by Friday or so. I just dont understand the need for all of this suspense with everyone else. I mean I know they have a lot of PS and LORs to go through, but Im sure they are graded on a standardized scale and Im sure that they have a scoring method for transcripts, experience hours, etc. It just doesnt seem like it should take months. Im with OSU's method where they make a first cut based on their "minimum" requirements and then interview everyone and then let them know right away.
 
I, too, found it a very enjoyable day. The only real pressure that I felt was the pressure I put on myself in preparing for it. And, the students' enthusiasm was contagious!

Oh, and that kind of wind is pretty common for the area...

Now, here's to crossed fingers and toes!

Yes, the wind has nothing to stop it. Thanks to our engineered farm land and our flat terrain, theirs usually nothing to stop the windburn.😉
 
I have to say that the atmosphere of the school reminded me a lot of Iowa State (which is a good thing!). The students/faculty were really friendly, the facilities were a little older, but had up-to-date equipment nonetheless, and the interviews were really relaxed. I think I did MUCH better at this interview than at Iowa (I was so nervous the first time!), but you really can never tell. A friend of mine in vet school now thought she rocked her Tufts interview and did horrible at Auburn, yet she got waitlisted to Tufts and accepted to Auburn. The one thing that did bother me, however, was how one student I talked to didn't like the school, but her main complaint was how she didn't like the structure of the curriculum (which the school is changing, anyway). Plus, I'd be silly of me to judge the school based on one student who had a complaint! I heard rumors from people interviewing that they thought there was competition among the vet students there, but when I talked to actual students, they said they're sharing study guides and helping each other out all the time. I was really glad the interview day went smoothly, especially from reading all the reviews from last year how the interview day was hectic - I didn't have that feeling at all!

I think the day could've been a little more personal and they could have stretched the interviews out at least over a weekend or two. Overall, I think it would be a good school to attend, but I think I'd pick Iowa State first (I could be a little biased because I interviewed there first!).

Good luck to everyone who interviewed! :luck:
 
Illinois does interviewing all on one day as tradition. That's how they've always done it, that's how it will be...etc.
I think they also do the discussion of the applicants all on one day as well.
I think they want all of the applicants to be fresh in their minds, so that they can make the most accurate assessments.
They also do not take pictures of us, to figure out who we are. Possibly, because they remember what we look like from yesterday.

This is it. We're all on a level playing field. All we're going on is our good looks and sense of humor.
 
Also, I was pleased with the variety of fellow applicants i saw. i didnt expect as many men, and applicants that appeared to be older than 21. i hope that means the class will be nice and diverse.