Illinois MPJE experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoe1985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share my less than pleasant experience with Illinois and their MPJE.
Background; I'm licensed in two other states, have never failed a standardized exam before (including BCPS). Found some online slides regarding Illinois Pharmacy Law from a professor from an Illinois school and assumed it would be plenty. I also studied directly from the Administrative Code, something that served me very well in the prior two law exams. I probably studied 2-3 hours a night for 7-10 days.

After not hearing a peep for 2.6 weeks, I got a letter saying I got a 74/75 and failed. Ugh.

Come to find out, in Illinois, you need to find the prized "Rickert law packet" to pass. There's a copyright on his material, which as I understand is distributed freely directly from him. I do not have his contact information.

Going through his packet (~100 pages) covers topics and issues with practice in the state I never would have unveiled otherwise. If (or when, depending on whom you ask), community pharmacy ever dies, I suspect the numerous new Telepharmacy allowances in the state of Illinois will be a culprit. Regardless, his packet is all you need. Get through his packet in a couple days and you should be good to go.

Contacting the board of pharmacy for license status information is an awful experience. If you get a hold of the licensing unit for pharmacy and get Sarah, ask for someone else. The first time I asked, she told me to get my score from PearsonVUE. The 2nd time, she told me I needed to get my score directly from NABP. Both very incorrect. The 2nd person I talked to ( I can't remember his name ) was outstanding.

I took my exam on a Tuesday. NABP submitted my score to the Illinois Board on that Friday. I called the following Monday, and after failing with Sarah X 2, I learned it would be around 7-10 days from the Friday Illinois received the score(or 10-13 days from test day). I received an email 9 days after taking the exam that I was licensed (if you don't get an email, you get a letter saying you failed). That 9 days was 7 business days + the weekend.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing. Do you have Dr. Rickett's notes? I contacted him via email but no response.

Thank you for sharing. I am licensed in multiple states and also have never failed an MPJE until I took the IL one recently. Same situation score of 74. Do you know how we can get these coveted notes?

Thank you for sharing. I am licensed in multiple states and also have never failed an MPJE until I took the IL one recently. Same situation score of 74. Do you know how we can get these coveted notes?
Just found out that I failed with a 73 in Florida, does anyone have any advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I would share my less than pleasant experience with Illinois and their MPJE.
Background; I'm licensed in two other states, have never failed a standardized exam before (including BCPS). Found some online slides regarding Illinois Pharmacy Law from a professor from an Illinois school and assumed it would be plenty. I also studied directly from the Administrative Code, something that served me very well in the prior two law exams. I probably studied 2-3 hours a night for 7-10 days.

After not hearing a peep for 2.6 weeks, I got a letter saying I got a 74/75 and failed. Ugh.

Come to find out, in Illinois, you need to find the prized "Rickert law packet" to pass. There's a copyright on his material, which as I understand is distributed freely directly from him. I do not have his contact information.

Going through his packet (~100 pages) covers topics and issues with practice in the state I never would have unveiled otherwise. If (or when, depending on whom you ask), community pharmacy ever dies, I suspect the numerous new Telepharmacy allowances in the state of Illinois will be a culprit. Regardless, his packet is all you need. Get through his packet in a couple days and you should be good to go.

Contacting the board of pharmacy for license status information is an awful experience. If you get a hold of the licensing unit for pharmacy and get Sarah, ask for someone else. The first time I asked, she told me to get my score from PearsonVUE. The 2nd time, she told me I needed to get my score directly from NABP. Both very incorrect. The 2nd person I talked to ( I can't remember his name ) was outstanding.

I took my exam on a Tuesday. NABP submitted my score to the Illinois Board on that Friday. I called the following Monday, and after failing with Sarah X 2, I learned it would be around 7-10 days from the Friday Illinois received the score(or 10-13 days from test day). I received an email 9 days after taking the exam that I was licensed (if you don't get an email, you get a letter saying you failed). That 9 days was 7 business days + the weekend.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Please help ! I cannot find MPJE material to study

Can anyone send me Dr. Rickert's notes? I contacted the email above and didn't get a response. I'd really appreciate it!

Can anyone send me Dr. Rickert's notes? I contacted the email above and didn't get a response. I'd really appreciate it!

Hi! If some one sent it to you and you can send it to me I will appreciate it so much. Thanks!