Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you on the waitlist I've decided to decline my seat and scholarship. I havent sent the form in yet as I'm trying to survive finals. Hopefully they go to all the well deserving SDN'ers on here.

Best of luck!

Scholarship??? I'll take it! :D

Members don't see this ad.

There are 2 lists, the IS and the OOS lists. The IS list moves maybe 1 or 2 people, at the most. The out of state list can get down to the "unlikely" range.

ugh, that's what I had imagined. Thanks for the info! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I so wish it were different, but the the ratio IS to OOS is important, especially in this economy.

I have to also comment that the former governor, Rod Blagojevich, promised money to the U of I and then took the promises back, removed earmarked state funds, and pulled money out of the state pension plan. I'm so glad that Pat Quinn reopened the parks he closed.

Hopefully, we're on the way to recovery.

Sending in my acceptance tomorrow, and plan on coming to the open house!! :D

I'm sending in my acceptance today too!! For those of you who are IS and went to UIUC for undergrad, what is the housing situation like?? Are most of you planning on living in grad housing or with each other? I'm OOS and just wanted to know if there is some sort of vet student housing website since I can't make it to the open house to figure this out on my own. If you guys have any advice throw it my way! Thanks!! :)

4Danny, one of the good housing options I heard about is The Village at Colbert Park. It seems too good to be true, but it is! Supposedly a lot of vet students live there, and the rest are all grad students. I think there are a couple other apartment complexes similar to it. At my interview, I heard that the Savoy area is the up and coming place to live. I'm sure over the next couple of months the school will set up stuff for us to find each other and look for housing.

As for me, I plan on living with one or two other vet students (any year) off campus somewhere... I haven't really started looking into it seriously yet.

Hey Guys,

I did my undergrad at Illinois and if I remember right, the Village is a great place to live but I'm pretty sure that it has a huge wait list to get in, and that it takes a long time to get in. But I'm sure current students could give you more information.

Good luck!

Thanks guys!! The village does almost seem a little too good to be true!

I think in general the cost of living is pretty low out there (at least compared to what I'm used to!), which is great. From perusing craigslist there seemed to be plenty of nice places for around $400/month and under, including utilities/parking/internet/TV. Sounds pretty good to me :D

Hey guys!

As far as housing, pretty much everyone lives in apartments/rented houses within a few miles of the vet school. There is a ton of affordable housing here to choose from. When your class gets a little more established (acceptances come piling in) you will have a class website and discussion group set up so you can talk to each other about places you have found and if you are looking for a roommate and the like. There will also likely be a lot of upperclassmen who get on there and let you know if they have rooms available or graduating 4th years looking for someone to buy their house/condo for those of you interested in that route.

And for those of you still on the waitlist - don't give up hope! A good friend of mine in my class (IS) was given the "unlikely to be offered admission" letter and got a call late in the summer :eek: saying a spot was available. You never know what is going to happen with that crazy list!

Just did a craigslist search and there appear to be many available 2/3/4br apts available at Colbert Park. But it has gotten some bad reviews (look here). I think it probably is too good to be true.

scroll down bellow the bad comments and there are some good ones! haha wishful thinking!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick question for all of you, since you all applied to Illinois last year. I was wondering if the biochemistry prerequisite requires a lab? I had trouble interpreting the VMCAS information online, which states that 3 labs are required and organic and inorganic chemistry need labs. What is the 3rd lab? Thanks!

From the Illinois website it says this about the chemistry req:

"b. Sixteen semester hours of chemical sciences, including biochemistry; inorganic and organic chemistry must have laboratories (a minimum of 3 semester hours of chemical science laboratories are required)."

so inorganic and organic chem need to have labs but biochem does not. The 3 semester hours of labs doesn't mean that each of those three needs to have a lab just that you must have at least 3 semester hours of chemistry labs total. You will get these when you take inorganic and o-chem (which are generally 2 semesters each with a lab component every semester), so I wouldn't worry about it.

The biochem at my undergrad didn't have a lab, and they let me in so it must be ok!

1. I also did biochem w/out lab, and it seemed to cause no problems w/UIUC.

2. I found out yesterday that I was admitted in-state to UC Davis, so I will be declining my UIUC OOS spot... Hopefully this will help someone out!!

GOOD LUCK to everyone waiting on the waitlists, and CONGRATS to those of you who will be attending-- I hope you have an AMAZING time with the new curriculum-- be sure to post about it on the vet students board so we can all oooh and aaahh at you guys!!!!

when does the financial package come out?

Are folks still going to open house this weekend? Any plans to meet up?

I'll be there! I'm bringing both the dad and the boyfriend, so that should make for an interesting drive down.

Hope to see some of you on Saturday.

I ended up not being able to make it over for the open house :( Let me know how it is!

About the financial aid: I spoke to the Fin Aid office today and they said they won't be able to send out packages until May because the Board of Trustees has to approve the graduate tuition fees. Lame.

PS I really like your username, GenghisCohen!

I'm going to be there for a couple hours in the morning (I work from 12-4:30 on Saturdays). But I definitely want to meet up.

Place/time? :D

Has anyone else gotten this from the office of financial aid? It says, "There is a discrepancy between the degree information you reported on your FAFSA and your student level within the University."

Basically, I put on my FAFSA that I would be a grad/doctoral student in 09-10, but I guess UIUC hasn't officially processed our admission yet, so the office of financial aid won't formally review my FAFSA.

That sucks, since aid is on a first come, first serve basis! :lame:

Has anyone else gotten this from the office of financial aid? It says, "There is a discrepancy between the degree information you reported on your FAFSA and your student level within the University."

Basically, I put on my FAFSA that I would be a grad/doctoral student in 09-10, but I guess UIUC hasn't officially processed our admission yet, so the office of financial aid won't formally review my FAFSA.

That sucks, since aid is on a first come, first serve basis! :lame:

Yeah, I got that same form. I originally thought I must have marked something wrong on FAFSA, but apparently it's just a common issue and likely because I filed as an undergraduate last year. When I called the office of fin aid they said they wouldn't be giving their packages out until May anyway because they haven't approved the tuition for 09-10 yet. So I think we're okay for now!

... I declined my IN STATE seat today. I hope it brings someone a great deal of happiness. :)

I just sent in my decline for my OOS seat. I hope that helps some people.

... I declined my IN STATE seat today. I hope it brings someone a great deal of happiness. :)

D...Did you say in state? :confused: Really? :)

Congratulations on making your decision. I'm sure the people ahead of me are overjoyed.

Anybody on the OOS waitlist hear anything yet? I know I'm a longshot, but I'm still starting to work on my "waiting to hear" ulcer again.

i turned down my OOS seat! hope that helps you :)

Question: Does everybody's status page still have the UIN part blank? Mine is, even though I have an ID number for financial aid and email purposes. And it sucks we can't use our email addresses until the end of May!

Doc,

How did you get an ID number for financial aid?

I think it was in a letter they sent a while ago about how to check financial aid using the online system? Not totally sure though, sorry. It also could have been included with that letter saying that they had a discrepancy with my academic status.

Here's the website to check your fin aid status:

http://www.osfa.uiuc.edu/resources/status/index.html

So this is my first time posting, but I've been frantically checking SDN for the past few months! But I JUST GOT MY PHONE CALL! I got in! I'm shaking and can't stop smiling. If any one wants to know, I was on the instate waitlist, and my letter said that I had the possibility of attending. I'm so excited to meet the rest of the class of 2013!!!:D:)

I would have posted earlier, but I had extenuating circumstances.
I got the call at around 3:30pm on Friday afternoon.
I thought it was an insurance agent calling me, when I answered.
Mary greeted me, and it took me a second to figure out what she was saying. :wow:

:woot: I about made her deaf with a bunch of "NO WAY"s! Then, I told my girls, who were nearby, and they screamed, too!

I'll see y'all in August!
:soexcited::highfive::soexcited::biglove:

OMG! Truth Im crying right now Im so happy for you. (yes, Im a bit of a crier). And I wish it was me. But still so very excited for you. I posted another good luck on the off the waitlist thread. How surreal! And you didnt think you would get in. Pffff.

Well, I didn't get in last year, so i just assumed they wouldn't get to me on the list. :shrug:

Thank you all of the in state people who declined. I'll be sad not to see you in class, but you don't know how grateful I am to be in your spot.

Well, I didn't get in last year, so i just assumed they wouldn't get to me on the list. :shrug:

Thank you all of the in state people who declined. I'll be sad not to see you in class, but you don't know how grateful I am to be in your spot.

I am so happy for you!! I knew you would get in!!!! Congratulations!!!! Paaaaarrrrrttttyyyy!!!!

Congratulations to you, Truth! (everybody else, too, of course) We look forward to having your class on campus in August to become the new VM1 class! Which, by default, means our class will be the new VM2 class - hooray for all of us! Drop a note if you have any questions...

So does anybody know of an admissions page glitch or some sort of hoax that would cause it to say they offered you admission when they really didn't?

Not that I know of. My page changed to Admission Offered, today. The next wave of acceptance letters went out on Monday. If you didn't get a call on Friday, it might have been that they couldn't get a hold of you, or you're out of state. I'd make a call tomorrow morning.

My status page changed to "admission offered 3/2/09", but the only phone call I've gotten lately that wasn't from someone I knew was a telemarketer. No emails either. The date is what throws me off since it was over a month ago. I don't know whether to celebrate or not seeing as if it is some sort of glitch I'm going to be absolutely devastated! I'm not going to sleep at all tonight! (This is not boding well for the Biochem exam I have to take tomorrow morning :()

Yeah, mine says that date, too. That was the date of the previous decisions.

The alternate list offer was made on that date as well, if I recall.

Seriously, call them at 9am central time.

My status page changed to "admission offered 3/2/09", but the only phone call I've gotten lately that wasn't from someone I knew was a telemarketer. No emails either. The date is what throws me off since it was over a month ago. I don't know whether to celebrate or not seeing as if it is some sort of glitch I'm going to be absolutely devastated! I'm not going to sleep at all tonight! (This is not boding well for the Biochem exam I have to take tomorrow morning :()

Ok... I just checked mine b/c of what you posted and mine says admission offered 3/2/09. I was waitlisted and told that it was unlikely that I would get in. I also haven't gotten a phone call, email, or letter. I am guessing it is most likely some type of glitch. I feel for you. That is horrible to see. I don't plan on taking an offer even if I get one from Illinois b/c I have already accepted Purdue--the school I wanted over Illinois anyway. I hope this will at least let you calm down for your exam. I hope you get in anyway.

I'm going to. Aaaaaaagggghhhh! I want to be all celebratory, but I'm terrified I'll get my hopes up and it will be a mistake.

First off, take a breath and step back from the situation.
The only thing you can do is call in the morning. I would act like it's a total mistake and you're not in until then. That's the only way you will be able to function until you can call.

Next, busy yourself with that exam prep. Work is the best distraction.

Thanks Truth, you're right - I need to chill out so I can function. It totally doesn't help that tomorrow is my birthday. I feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode or something.

Wow! Triple whammy! Happy birthday! Good luck on the exam, and I hope to see you in September.