I'm a CPhT and make $7.15/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another trick is to make dinner in bulk (like some sort of meat and potatoes dinner), eat half, and put the other half in the fridge. Presto, you have lunch the next day! It'll cost you $1-2 in extra product, but it'll go a long way.

I think $20/day is possible, I'll go dig up receipts and post my own meal info at some point.

I thought you said pesto. You should really make pesto. It makes anything sound/possibly taste more expensive, it lasts FOREVER in the freezer, easy to make, lots of bang for the buck.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW confettiflyer, I plan on applying to TJU (#1 choice) and I think I remember reading a post saying you go there. Hopefully I get in and they pay more for CPhT in Philly then in northern PA.

techs make some horrific amount...something like ~$8+/hr, combined with the higher cost of living AND wage tax in philly, and you're down in the dumps.

As a student, you'd be an intern making ~$10.50+/hr, still down in the dumps.

Also consider that you'll be working no more than 1-2 days a week, so your weekly paycheck should cover your food for maybe 3-4 days of the week if you keep it cheap.

Okay, it's mealtime, lemme show you guys what I ate last night and how much it cost.

1.72 pounds of organic chicken from Trader Joe's -- $6.86 ($3.99/lb)
1 bottle of thai red curry cooking sauce -- $2.69
Rice -- 5lb @ $7.49, made 2.5 cups...guesstimate -- $0.25
3 potatoes (actually got these free from a friend, but per online grocery site they're $.32 each) -- $.96
Pepper and olive oil (already had it, guesstimate) -- $.50

Can of soda (2) $.35 each -- $.70
1 organic banana from trader joe's -- $.29

Grand Total: $12.25

Guess what, if you weren't paying attention to the quantities -- this was dinner for TWO people, so grand total per person = $6.12.

Oh, and that's not all....this was my lunch this afternoon, so for THREE total meals, this came out to approximately $4.08 per meal (2 dinner, 1 lunch). This was a lot of food, even if you factor in misc. things like maybe a cup of yogurt added in, that's still <$5/meal.

Cooking with other people also helps, my classmates and I would cook for each other randomly throughout the week to take advantage of the economies of scale. This <$5/meal figure was for only two people, imagine that over 4-5 people.

The trick is spending time to shop for groceries/cook, which I will admit, can be difficult when you've got exams bearing down on you. If you're used to it, you'll make time to do it. It's like going to the bathroom or working out, you just find a way to fit it into your schedule.

If you can't cook, a trick I use for lunch is to just buy a sandwich/lunch plate at your favorite spot to go...then go home and pour yourself a drink and eat your own sides. Think about it... soda is like $1.50? Chips are another $1? That's $2.50 EACH LUNCH MEAL... $12.50 per week. If you just buy a big bulk fridge box of soda + a big bag of chips, you just saved some big bucks. Or, you can do what TommyVoltage does and just drink water. AND the big plus for me is I get to eat in my underwear and watch TV.

So what's for dinner tonight? I bought 1.3lbs of salmon for ~$12 and some shallots for $.98. Add in rice and white wine sauce + soda, and total meal for two comes to ~$7 per person. I slept in, so I only had lunch ($4.08 from above). Total spent on food today: $11.08. I had a few snacks of string cheese and some cereal...so let's round that up to $12.

There you go, some real numbers to digest. Comments welcome :thumbup:

Have fun at Jefferson, don't let those ******* Philthies fans get to you.

Haha I know... The person who interviewed me was a former Mets fan who converted into a Phillies fan :eyebrow: ... and yes, I rebuked him for it... and yes, I still got in. Excellent.

techs make some horrific amount...something like ~$8+/hr, combined with the higher cost of living AND wage tax in philly, and you're down in the dumps.

Also consider that you'll be working no more than 1-2 days a week, so your weekly paycheck should cover your food for maybe 3-4 days of the week if you keep it cheap.

Okay, it's mealtime, lemme show you guys what I ate last night and how much it cost.

3 potatoes (actually got these free from a friend, but per online grocery site they're $.32 each) -- $.96

Guess what, if you weren't paying attention to the quantities -- this was dinner for TWO people, so grand total per person = $6.12.

Oh, and that's not all....this was my lunch this afternoon, so for THREE total meals, this came out to approximately $4.08 per meal (2 dinner, 1 lunch). This was a lot of food, even if you factor in misc. things like maybe a cup of yogurt added in, that's still <$5/meal.

Cooking with other people also helps, my classmates and I would cook for each other randomly throughout the week to take advantage of the economies of scale. This <$5/meal figure was for only two people, imagine that over 4-5 people.

The trick is spending time to shop for groceries/cook, which I will admit, can be difficult when you've got exams bearing down on you. If you're used to it, you'll make time to do it. It's like going to the bathroom or working out, you just find a way to fit it into your schedule.

If you can't cook, a trick I use for lunch is to just buy a sandwich/lunch plate at your favorite spot to go...then go home and pour yourself a drink and eat your own sides. Think about it... soda is like $1.50? Chips are another $1? That's $2.50 EACH LUNCH MEAL... $12.50 per week. If you just buy a big bulk fridge box of soda + a big bag of chips, you just saved some big bucks. Or, you can do what TommyVoltage does and just drink water. AND the big plus for me is I get to eat in my underwear and watch TV.

So what's for dinner tonight? I bought 1.3lbs of salmon for ~$12 and some shallots for $.98. Add in rice and white wine sauce + soda, and total meal for two comes to ~$7 per person. I slept in, so I only had lunch ($4.08 from above). Total spent on food today: $11.08. I had a few snacks of string cheese and some cereal...so let's round that up to $12.

Ugh, the thought of budgeting is depressing me... :( I like expensive food... help!

Ugh, the thought of budgeting is depressing me... :( I like expensive food... help!

Me too, we eat out a LOT, but we moderate. We'll cook 3 days out of the week, order in 1 day out of the week, then eat out Friday/weekend. Even when we order indian food down the street, that's like $20 total ($10/person).

if you go to subway: 5 dollar footlong (i love that commercial/song/jingle). and water. 35 dollars/week. good deal.

Me too, we eat out a LOT, but we moderate. We'll cook 3 days out of the week, order in 1 day out of the week, then eat out Friday/weekend. Even when we order indian food down the street, that's like $20 total ($10/person).

i go out to eat 1 time a week (i'm single now, before it was like going out to eat 3-4 times a week). i also go out for breakfast 1 time during the weekend because bagels are the greatest thing every made.

i go out to eat 1 time a week (i'm single now, before it was like going out to eat 3-4 times a week). i also go out for breakfast 1 time during the weekend because bagels are the greatest thing every made.

mm i'd like to rebut that and say a spicy italian sausage + egg + cheese on a roll = best thing ever.

ahh forgot about colby jack, not a fan of the english muffin though.

best simple breakfast i had was in italy... biscotti with a thin layer of nutella, actually more like a nice little snack. oh, and for some reason blood orange juice was standard fare...i miss that.

I thought I was supposed to find my sugar daddy during rotations? ;-)

On the subject of budgeting -- used to spend an exorbitant amount on shopping/dinners/other girly stuff until last spring.. At one point I think I spent at least $500 a week on dinner/drinks just for me! Was also too generous with my friends :-/

Now I budget better, invest the maximum in to my Roth IRA retirement account.. and have extensively cut my spending, probably by over 50%....Problem is, as you alluded to, everything in NYC is so Godamn expensive...everything from dinner to toilet paper to rent.. its crazy. Just had my younger cousin move in to help with rent..

My job is tips based..sometimes I make in one night more than what most make in a week..other times not so much ..though the potential is there, it can be nerve wracking (and dangerous) not being able to predict your income.

I am lucky enough to have parents who help w/ some allowance, health care, et cetera.. but my own bills add up.. Just spent $400.00 on my chiuahuas today for five minutes at the vet :-(

Wont volunteering once a week at a hospital Pharmacy suffice? I am planning on starting in Sept, but will not give up my primary source of income. I am glad I learned at a relatively young age how to budget, because I think it was an extremely valuable lesson..

Elle

<I can't speak for anyone else, but I do not work as a CphT for a primary income.

I am fortunate in that I receive excellent benefits from the military, but if I was not receiving this and if I didn't have any savings from my many deployments, I would definitely have roommates to split expenses with.

I am sure NYC is super-expensive (I lived at Fort Drum for 6 months and spent many a weekend in NYC proper) to live in, so without getting too personal, why don't you get some roomies?

Or just get a sugar daddy, like Confetti suggested. Although I think that's a bad idea.

Take a look at your spending for starters. When my wife and I were transitioning from Army pay (with zero expenses) + deployment pay, hazardous duty pay, etc, we had to really change our lifestyle. At one point, we were spending $350 a week in eating out at restaurants.

Small things can add up. No more lattes, no more biscottis, no more pasta arrabiata, and a whole lot more PB&J.

I dunno. Like I said, I don't know you, so I don't know how much money goes in and how it goes out in your life, but I suggest taking a hard look at it. >
user_offline.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
My job is tips based..sometimes I make in one night more than what most make in a week..other times not so much ..though the potential is there, it can be nerve wracking (and dangerous) not being able to predict your income.

If I had boobs and a vajayjay, I'd work at a strip club to pay the bills. :smuggrin:

I'd probably be able to reuse my CVS white coat, too. :luck:

Thank you for those real numbers. This is pretty consistent with what I spend per day (except for that extra meal you get out of using it for lunch the next day, which is a great idea). My original concern was that Tommy said he spent $15-$20 per week. I just don't see how this is possible. Of course I hope it was just a typo and he meant daily lol.

hey ya'll. well I just recently changed my major to pre-pharm and am clueless to a lot of the terminology. How do I become a CPhT? and I'm still a freshmen in college, meaning I'm still studying my core classes; should I start an internship at a pharmacy now because i have the option of possibly working with my uncle who has been a Pharm D for a very long time.
Any advice from ya'll would be great! :)

hey ya'll. well I just recently changed my major to pre-pharm and am clueless to a lot of the terminology. How do I become a CPhT? and I'm still a freshmen in college, meaning I'm still studying my core classes; should I start an internship at a pharmacy now because i have the option of possibly working with my uncle who has been a Pharm D for a very long time.
Any advice from ya'll would be great! :)

You can start working at a pharmacy or start volunteering at a pharmacy. To become a CPhT you need to either take the PTCE or ExCPT. Both tests are easily passed if you buy the book or just work in a pharmacy for a couple of weeks.

So I'm reviving this thread cuz I just made a really good and cheap dinner.

1.5 pounds of hot and mild italian sausage -- $4.50
2 cans of petite diced tomatoes -- $2.50
1 box of penne pasta -- $1.20
1 onion -- $.49
1 pack of mushrooms -- $.99
Total spent: $9.68

+ 1 drinks (can of soda) & misc (salt/pepper/garlic powder/olive oil) -- $1. Rounded total = $11.

Yield: 4 total meals (2 dinner, 2 lunch tomorrow). Cost per meal: $2.75

suh-weeeeeeeeet. I can't believe restaurants charge $15 for a plate of this stuff, mine tastes better too.

I forgot about this and I just went food shopping last night and spent a little over $14 for the week. Today was trash day. =[

It's not that hard to make ends meet. I get by on about $60 a week for groceries for myself. However i only make a few different meals, and they are very very simple. Just depends on what you're willing to cut out. I make chili, spaghetti, sandwiches and cereal and that's pretty much it. Do you really need meat, eggs, cheese, rare fruits and vegetables, and things like ice cream, soda? Also cut out butter, specialty sauces (make your own), and small jars of spices. Get what's on sale and buy in bulk to freeze.

Buy rice in 20 pound bags, big sacks of potatoes and onions, and the big 5-10 lb bags of beans. Get some canned vegetables, bread, and some bulk spices, generic tomato sauce, some 50c soups and ramens. Get a big cut of the cheapest leanest pork or beef cuts for stew, a pound shouldnt run you more than a few dollars. Get everything generic too, it's all made with the same stuff as name brand. Also, cut out junk food, desserts, and expensive alcohol. Set $75 a week as your absolute maximum -- this shouldnt be hard to do at all. The first day or two will take some work to find the right stuff, but eventually you'll sort out what to buy and what not to buy and it will become routine. You'd be amazed how energetic and happy you feel when you cut your diet down to healthy stews, soups, and whole grains.

Also, consider looking for a different pharmacy job. I live in a small city in the midwest and around here, hospital jobs start techs at $15. It's easier to get a job than you think if you already have experience.

Last edited:
I notice that you are from PA...have you considered working at a Giant Eagle? They are a private company so they are not so focused on screwing over their employees in order to please their shareholders like the public companies such as CVS.

In Columbus, OH. the starting wage for Giant Eagle techs with or without experience is $8.10 and you get a $1 raise for passing their pharmacy tech exam.

If you are certified you might want to try to apply at hospital pharmacies. They tend to pay their techs much better than in retail. Although in hospitals the pharmacists make less money than their retail counterparts.

I buy a lot of lean cuisine dinners when they go on sale, so for $2 I get a decent microwavable meal. Otherwise they cost $3 when they are not on sale.

And don't forget the good old cheap cereal breakfasts...

The thing that kills me are the drinks from starbucks...I need to avoid that place more often, especially when I can make my own coffee for much cheaper.

My weekly budget is $100 and I am successful at falling below that unless it's a crazy week and I end up going to a strip club or out to eat with friends. :laugh:

Although the money your recieving from CVS sucks right now tommyvoltage, you should just stick it in for the experience, I use to work for various CVS in the philadelphia region and its a great retail experience, I believe they will still pay for your tech certification so I would become tech certified because it will look good experience wise while applying for pharmacy school, Im in the process now of studying for the PCAT and I left CVS after two years of experience and now work at one of the top hospitals in the City of Philadelphia. You cant think for now you have to think for the future, do it for 6-9 months and then apply at a clinical facility in your area afterwards.... Good luck, stay strong!!!

Yeah I think pharm tech pay is BS. I took a 6 dollar pay cut to work retail but kept my other job to pay the bills. Now the pay has gotten more respectable after certification and a little negotiation. But my second job still pays the bills which is now a hospital tech and the pay is very good. Its funny how pharmacists make less in a hospital than retail but techs make much more in a hospital than retail.
I totally agree with you about the pay I work at a hospital now and bills are getting paid....:thumbup:

Cereal for breakfast
Chicken & pasta, chicken tacos, hamburgers, pasta.. my big meal for lunch
Protein shake in the afternoon
Sandwich for dinner
Yogurt or some other snack to fill me up an hour or two before bed

Look for fruit that's on sale and always have bananas. i grocery shop at the wal-mart super center, so i imagine a bigger supermarket like gaint, king cullen, or publix will be more expensive.
Sorry I work overnight and totally didnt see that you are certified, just stick it in for the training thats a slap in a face but, in the end you'll be laughing considering what you will be making once your out of pharmacy school, that's how I think, Cry now and laugh later!!!!!;)

If I had boobs and a vajayjay, I'd work at a strip club to pay the bills. :smuggrin:

I'd probably be able to reuse my CVS white coat, too. :luck:
LOL!! MEN have a pennee and they strip too:idea:light bulb it might work for you too!!!!

I notice that you are from PA...have you considered working at a Giant Eagle? They are a private company so they are not so focused on screwing over their employees in order to please their shareholders like the public companies such as CVS.

In Columbus, OH. the starting wage for Giant Eagle techs with or without experience is $8.10 and you get a $1 raise for passing their pharmacy tech exam.

If you are certified you might want to try to apply at hospital pharmacies. They tend to pay their techs much better than in retail. Although in hospitals the pharmacists make less money than their retail counterparts.

I'll check it out. My apartment is by Sanofi Pasteur, so I was thinking about applying there after I get a LOR out of the current pharmacist I work with.

LOL!! MEN have a pennee and they strip too:idea:light bulb it might work for you too!!!!

The ratio of male to female stripclubs in a 150 mile radius of my apartment (I throw a lot of Bachelorette parties ok?) is 1:15.

it's far easier for a woman to strip as a living than it is for a male.

Additionally, natural female slenderness is the "norm" for "hot chicks" to strip. Men need to have additional features, such as ripping pectorals, extra-large biceps and bubbly veins. Women just have to be really thin. Sure, it's a bonus if they've got a little, girly "4-pack" and if they are toned and tan, but men throw money at the skinniest of women who are simply taking advantage of their metabolism, whereas if a scrawny, Star Wars-lovin' geek hopped onto stage half-dressed, what do you think would happen?

*Disclaimer: I don't go to strip clubs for any reason other than for research on bachelor/bachelorette parties that I am inevitably tasked to throw by everyone I know.

The ratio of male to female stripclubs in a 150 mile radius of my apartment (I throw a lot of Bachelorette parties ok?) is 1:15.

it's far easier for a woman to strip as a living than it is for a male.

Additionally, natural female slenderness is the "norm" for "hot chicks" to strip. Men need to have additional features, such as ripping pectorals, extra-large biceps and bubbly veins. Women just have to be really thin. Sure, it's a bonus if they've got a little, girly "4-pack" and if they are toned and tan, but men throw money at the skinniest of women who are simply taking advantage of their metabolism, whereas if a scrawny, Star Wars-lovin' geek hopped onto stage half-dressed, what do you think would happen?

*Disclaimer: I don't go to strip clubs for any reason other than for research on bachelor/bachelorette parties that I am inevitably tasked to throw by everyone I know.
Don't worry i wont tell if you spend some of your pharmacy school money for a little female entertainment....:laugh:

i make 11.25 and have not even been there for a year yet...texas

I've been working at CVS for about 4-5 weeks and I only make $7.15 an hour. I'm a certified pharmacy technician and I still get paid this little amount. I need the experience in a pharmacy because I plan on applying to schools for admission in the Fall 2010 program, but I feel like I'm greatly underpaid.

What should I do?

If I were you, I would not worry about the money now. I would just get the experience and get the hell out there. If it is indeed my long term is to get in to pharmacy school.

Why so little? I made $8 an hour before I was certified. CVS/Walgreens CPhT's make around $11-$13/hour. (B-ham, AL.) Maybe they are waiting until after your 90 day evaluation to give you a raise. Hopefully it will come then. Good luck to you!