$35/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacists are now getting $35/hr, screenshot attached. "Urgently hiring". I am very confused why any prepharms would consider pharmacy school now?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-130038.png
    Screenshot_20210617-130038.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacists are now getting $35/hr, screenshot attached. "Urgently hiring". I am very confused why any prepharms would consider pharmacy school now?
They probably think as long as it is better than minimum wage, they will take it.

But i gets to be called doctor

But muh passion

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned down 45k (one for 20, one for 25)in signing bonus so others in the profession may benefit. Its tough out here, but there is hope

Reactions: 1 user
I turned down a position at 30$. Took everything in my not to laugh when they told me the pay.

I actually applied to a few $35/hr jobs and didn't even hear back. The 35's I saw were all for working a vaccine clinic though, not a retail pharmacist. o_O o_O o_O o_O Luckily I think I have a job now that pays more.

I turned down a position at 30$. Took everything in my not to laugh when they told me the pay.
You shouldn't laugh at a serious job offer. 30 / hr is much more than 0 an hour.

While it's tempting to post here with others who also dislike the pharmacy out look i regress. People don’t get online to say stuff like “man I really love my job” because if that were the case you wouldn’t feel the need to tell people about it. There are some facts about pharmacy that you can look at and decide for yourself.

There is a projected 3% loss in pharmacist jobs over the next 10 years. There has also been a 15% decrease in pharmacy school applicants in this last year. Retail roles are definitely shrinking especially with the advent of mail order pharmacies and the takeover of Amazon that is likely coming.

Roles in other areas are expanding including clinical roles and roles in the pharma industry. Is the market saturated right now?
Yes.
Is there a decline in retail salaries?
Yes.

Is this a permanent blow to the profession? No. Healthcare ebbs and flows are natural, as advancements happen and abilities expand new roles open up and new jobs are created. The population is aging and with that comes more medications that people are taking on average. Ambulatory care roles are being created to manage more complex medication regimens and more jobs in the industry require a doctorate of some sort to be employed. One thing that will likely change is the availability of jobs in more urban areas. The average age of adults in rural areas is much higher thus the need for practitioners in more rural areas.

At the end of the day it’s more school and then a job that you will like at some points and hate at other points. Try not to get bogged down in all the metrics and remember that you have 40 years to earn money, if you can’t find your dream job immediately upon graduation it isn’t a big deal, plus, any experience can be learned from and can help you in figuring out exactly what it is you do and don’t want.

My main job is a pastor and I consider pharmacy to be a hobby that has the potential to pay well.

Last edited:
I actually applied to a few $35/hr jobs and didn't even hear back. The 35's I saw were all for working a vaccine clinic though, not a retail pharmacist. o_O o_O o_O o_O Luckily I think I have a job now that pays more.
That's crazy. My hospital pays $45+ for RNs to work the vaccine clinic and this is in a relatively low COL area.

My wife did a 2 year nursing degree, she is making $80/hour working a short term assignment now. She doesn't have student loan debt, this is the way to go.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel so bad for pharmacists. I lurk this thread from time to time and I'm completely DISGUSTED by some of the job offers I see.

I'm a RN working in the NICU, in a large metropolitan area and I get $40/hr. I only work nights so I get differential for that as well. Weekdays ~$44/hr, Weekends ~$48/hr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't work for these crappy independents that advertise their cheapness in their name.

"Payless" pharmacy. "Discount" pharmacy.

You gotta realize that Pharmacy is going max commodity. From what I can tell..outfits like COSTCO are running it as a loss leader along with the rest of the stock..Apparently they pay well and are nice to the workers....Long term.."commodity" "loss leader" " Rph glut " and "good pay" don't follow and THAT is where peddling meds at high speed is headed..

Don't work for these crappy independents that advertise their cheapness in their name.

"Payless" pharmacy. "Discount" pharmacy.

Does this also mean consumer value?

I feel so bad for pharmacists. I lurk this thread from time to time and I'm completely DISGUSTED by some of the job offers I see.

I'm a RN working in the NICU, in a large metropolitan area and I get $40/hr. I only work nights so I get differential for that as well. Weekdays ~$44/hr, Weekends ~$48/hr.

Don't feel bad, anyone who started pharmacy school within the past 5 years has no one to blame but themselves. You've done more research about the pharmacy field than most new pharmacy students. A new pharmacy student made a new post in the pharmacy forum to ask how much new grad pharmacists get paid - they entered pharmacy school without looking, and instead of searching for 10 seconds to find the answer they want us to spoonfeed it to them. There are hundreds of threads and all they had to do was search. Blows my mind.

Reactions: 8 users
I actually talked to someone recently who came to my pharmacy seeking career advice. She was not at all aware that there was a shortage of jobs for pharmacists. I told her that I strongly recommend to do some searching on BLS and the internet about the job market. People must think it's really easy money or something, that's the only reason I can think why it has such strong interest.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually talked to someone recently who came to my pharmacy seeking career advice. She was not at all aware that there was a shortage of jobs for pharmacists. I told her that I strongly recommend to do some searching on BLS and the internet about the job market. People must think it's really easy money or something, that's the only reason I can think why it has such strong interest.

Yeah, the public still has that idea that we can go wherever/whenever/do anything as a pharmacist and just rake in the cash. It's not until I tell them that the profession has been destroyed and the job market is terrible, that they even question it. It's always, "Oh wow, are you serious? Not even guaranteed 40 hours per week? Sharply decreasing hourly rate? Whatever do you mean?"

Reactions: 4 users
The BLS website is the problem. For 10 years while demand was ebbing relative to supply, BLS said jobs should be growing. Meanwhile, you could check pharmacy forums and see that entry level pay was flatlining, raises were getting scaled back, and by mid 2010s, payrates and total comp and quality of life at work were declining.

So direct people to sdn or Reddit forums, where the realtime information can be found.

Yeah, the public still has that idea that we can go wherever/whenever/do anything as a pharmacist and just rake in the cash. It's not until I tell them that the profession has been destroyed and the job market is terrible, that they even question it. It's always, "Oh wow, are you serious? Not even guaranteed 40 hours per week? Sharply decreasing hourly rate? Whatever do you mean?"

Yup all these boomers who want their kids to go to pharmacy school are living in the past. They see hundreds of pharmacies in their city and hear about the 6 figure salaries and see pharmacists on the "top ten highest paid jobs" lists - those lists are mostly BS and omit many careers that get paid more than pharmacists. I think I saw one where pharmacy manager was #2 and staff pharmacist was #5 or so. #1 was doctor. If they want to separate pharmacy manager and pharmacist, then they should separate doctor into the many different specialties they have like anesthesiologist, surgeon, pulmonologist etc. They could separate software engineer to cloud engineer, machine learning engineer, cyber security engineer etc and they would all be above pharmacist.

I knew this would happen long ago

Because of good press, people think pharmacy is chill and easy and lucrative

But good press shills for their big Corp. Now, there is a steady oversupply of soon to be cheaper labor

Furthermore, insurances have been consolidated under Cvs, who of course have a conflict of interest as far as their pharmacy peers

Reactions: 2 users