IM "interviews offered" thread 2008-2009

Started by nasdr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have gone/will go: SLU, Lutheran General, Loyola, UW-Madison, Case, UMN, Mayo-Rochester, Cleveland Clinic, U of Iowa, UIC, Rush, UTSW, U of Michigan, California Pacific, The OHSU, UC-Davis, Stanford, Wash U

Declined: Advocate IL Masonic, St. Joseph, St. Francis, HCMC, U of Cincinnati, Baylor-Dallas, UT San Antonio, Cook County, USC, Cedars-Sinai, UCSF-Fresno, Kaiser Permanente SF, Santa Clara, UC-Irvine

Rejected: UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Northwestern, U of Chicago (haven't heard from them so I take it as such)

Good Luck to everyone!
 
Thanks for the feedback! I am very excited about my UNC interview - haven't been there yet. I know that working hard is going to be part of intern year, no matter where I go! I guess by laid back I mean that attendings are approachable, upper level residents are supportive, and the atmosphere is conducive to learning by teaching rather than intimidation or humiliation.

As to some of my choices for where to interview, that has more to do with making my spouse happy than the reputation of the program.

That is one of the things I really like about UNC is that you can ask attendings any questions you want. Sometimes I would ask them a question and we will sit down for 30 mins or so and discuss things. Very approachable (as far as my interactions go)
 
CanIMakeIt - How come you're interviewing at Harbor UCLA but none of the other LA schools? Just curious about your thoughts on how the programs compare.

Well my choice mostly had to do with how front-loaded the program is and would I go to the program over UNC. Also I want a lot of hands on training and may be sub-specialize in future. So the other program I was considering was UCLA-Olive View --> Very hands on and front loaded but as far as sub-spec goes, it is mostly known here in California only so that limits where I can apply later. Harbor-UCLA is stronger in that respect and can afford me better chances.
USC --> great training but may have problems matching in sub spec (just the perception I got from SDN)
Cedars-Sinai --> not too much hands-on and more private patients etc (again as per SDN)
Kaiser --> great training --> but fellowships mostly within
San Diego schools --> I was only interested in UCSD primarily and didn't want to make an extra trip to interview at the other two places. People have great things to say about both scripps though.

And not to mention dwindling pile of thousands of pennies I had when I started interview trail 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, pardon my ignorance. What does "front-loaded" mean, and how does this increase a program's graduates chances of matching into the subspecialty of their choice?

Thanks.
 
Hi, pardon my ignorance. What does "front-loaded" mean, and how does this increase a program's graduates chances of matching into the subspecialty of their choice?

Thanks.

"Front-Loaded" I think essentially means lot of intern autonomy early on ... trial by fire deal ...
I don't think there is any correlation between subspec match to front-loaded programs but it will help you become a confident competent IM doc before you start subspec, which for me is imp or at least it is at this stage of training ... this thinking may turn out to be bust later on 😀 and as being discussed in other threads, you can get same education in laid back programs as well ..... I think it is more personal thing.....
 
Hi, pardon my ignorance. What does "front-loaded" mean, and how does this increase a program's graduates chances of matching into the subspecialty of their choice?

Thanks.

I think frontloaded does have to do with autonomy, but I also believe it has to do with the overall structure of the three years. Frontloaded programs take the majority of call in the first year and it tapers off after that with second and third years consisting mainly of consult and supervisory roles. This is more of a traditional model.

The more progressive model is a place like Mayo where call is more evenly spread throughout the three years, and, consequently, autonomy is more gradually introduced.

That being said, I don't necessary believe that frontloaded = malignant. Michigan is a good example of a frontloaded program that is by no means malignant.

I think it's completely a matter of personal preference. But, I also believe that the more traditional model is quite antiquated thinking and will be a thing of the past in the next 5-10 years. We're beginning to see that not only is a more even model healthier for house staff and safer for patients, it's more conducive to learning and maximizing potential.

Some will say a frontloaded program is the only way and interns need to suffer and trial by fire and blah blah blah. Again, I find this to be outdated thinking and see it exuded mostly by medical students. Some programs obviously still subscribe to this model (see Johns Hopkins). But I think you'll find most are moving away from it.

Others will write this off as a lifestyle choice. Again, I really believe it is one of the deciding factors as to what kind of physician you're going to be and how you will impact the future generations of medicine.

First do no harm... and as to who you're not supposed to be harming is up to you to figure out...
 
I just got 2 more invites:

Brown (a few days ago), Upitt just now...they seem to have plenty of dates open still as well.
 
k just wondering why i havent got an interview from them- got UCSD and UCLA but not irvine. I dont understand.
 
This thread has been quiet for a while.

Any January invites?

My last one was around Dec 18, which more than likely was people canceling January interviews, so I got off a waitlist of some sort.
 
Long distance bump.

Figured this would be the easiest way for people to remind themselves of when interview offers went out last year.
 
UCSF
UCSD
UF COM
U Hawaii <--- yeah I know 😀 ("interview"= vacation also)

Hi Lilmizpiggy, youve posted on the wrong thread, can you put these on the 2009-2010 thread further down along the page...

CONGRATS BTW!

Addendum: wait are these residency interviews or medical school interviews...ur status is pre-medical?? This thread is for residency interviews
 
Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the right place but thought I'd contribute. Just received interview from Mayo, Scottsdale. They will book all the way to the end of January. The first interview date in November is full and the one of the 15th of December too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad