I'm tired of replacing electrolytes!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will someone please do a research study to determine the benefits of replacing electrolytes in asymptomatic patients?

Members don't see this ad.

replacing electrolytes is for the most part the most ridiculous part of medicine in general. You mean to tell me there are no people walking around completely asymptomatic who do not have any electrolyte disturbances. C'mon, common sense goes a lot further, folks.

Just write a standing order when you admit a pt. Make it reasonable, like Tylenol, Colace, or sliding scale insulin. "K+ less than 3.5, give 40 mEq po, IV if pt is NPO, less than 3.0 give 80, less than 2.5 call MD, order basic metabolic panel on next am's draw." Do a google search for potassium replacement protocol and you should get something. We had one when I was an intern and it saved a whole lot of pages when the labs came back every day at 0400. Just write one order "replace K per protocol". Mg, phos, and Ca need a little more attention, especially in the ICU's.