I'm unique, just like everyone else.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomattic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep, another one of these.

I'm really interested in becoming a DO, but just need honest, brutal advice as to whether or not this mountain is too steep to climb.

I got a liberal arts degree in undergrad and did pretty crappy (3.0) due mainly to the usual lack of direction and being somewhat of an assclown. I worked in law for 2 years, quit after realizing what I really wanted to be doing, and have been in post-bac for 2 years with a 4.0 GPA. I have a few more classes to take but anticipate keeping that 4.0. Assuming I'm successful in maintaining said post-bac GPA, my cumulative GPA would rise to a 3.33.

I have about 160 hours of shadowing and volunteering in several hospital settings and plan to increase this over time. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but is my 3.33 insurmountable in and of itself?

Members don't see this ad.

I have about 160 hours of shadowing and volunteering in several hospital settings and plan to increase this over time. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but is my 3.33 insurmountable in and of itself?

Nope.

Should have no problem getting into any DO school you want if your post-bacc work has been in the sciences with a 4.0.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of score do you think I'd have to get on the MCAT to be considered in light of my weak cGPA?

What kind of score do you think I'd have to get on the MCAT to be considered in light of my weak cGPA?
GPA is not that low considering it's still within the standard deviation and the science GPA is above the average. A 26+ should be enough at many colleges. A 30 would seal the deal.

3.33 isn't that weak for DO. I have a 3.20/33Q and people have been telling me that I have a reasonable chance.

OP a 3.3 is not bad for DO schools and a MCAT > 27 will definitely give you a good shot assuming you apply early and broadly.