IMG apply for IM/FM residency a week after September 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

washakie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much would it hurt to apply for IM/FM residency as an IMG a week after 09/15, say by 09/22? Are the chances completely ruined for 2016 match from not applying on 09/15? Really worried! Application is almost complete, working on PS and putting it all together.
Profile:
ECFMG certified (slightly avg. Step 1, Step 2 CK scores, CS - all first attempts)
4 year old grad with some gaps in CV from relocating to USA
4 months scattered USCE and continuing
6 months home country clinical experience
4 decent-good LORs

Members don't see this ad.

Could you please elaborate and suggest a recourse?

I agree it will make little difference. If your reason for submitting late is your PS, that's honestly pretty sad. You've had months to put a PS together. Programs might use the date of application as a screening tool to assess whom is on top of getting their paperwork done in a timely fashion.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree it will make little difference. If your reason for submitting late is your PS, that's honestly pretty sad. You've had months to put a PS together. Programs might use the date of application as a screening tool to assess whom is on top of getting their paperwork done in a timely fashion.

The reason for application delay was more of a family, health and relocation issue which put me off track from the application for several weeks at a very crucial time. I don't know if it is already too late to try to get into the match or the program directors would even be looking or downloading applications submitted later than 09/15. Thank you for your feedback.

You have nothing to lose except money and your odds get worse every year as your YOG gets older and older. I'd advise you to apply ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users