IMG applying for Allergy/Immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcdoc007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am a PGY-2 IM resident from a community program and will be applying for A/I for the 2020-2021 cycle. I'm an IMG and don't know anyone applying for A/I. Heard its very difficult for IMG's to match into A/I. I have decent step scores, 2 publications, and 5 posters(A/I and other specialties combined). No significant research background. I would appreciate any input regarding the chances of match and any suggestions to improve my chances. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are the publications related to any research? I would say research is quite important for AI, not completed projects necessarily but something in the works. I had two ongoing projects and that's what every interviewer wanted to talk about. None of my posters at national meetings or publications were even talked about during interviews. It is quite an uphill battle with being an IMG. I would say the most important thing you can do right now is be involved in a QI project, contact your Pulmonology, Derm or ID department if there are any QI project ideas you can get involved with.

Are the publications related to any research? I would say research is quite important for AI, not completed projects necessarily but something in the works. I had two ongoing projects and that's what every interviewer wanted to talk about. None of my posters at national meetings or publications were even talked about during interviews. It is quite an uphill battle with being an IMG. I would say the most important thing you can do right now is be involved in a QI project, contact your Pulmonology, Derm or ID department if there are any QI project ideas you can get involved with.

Is it because of the visa issue programs don’t take IMG? Or is there other problems?