IMG got 199, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givingup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm an IMG, graduated last year and today I got my step 1 results... 199. I don't know what happened, my UWSA were 223 and 229, so I didn't expect it to be that low. I have my CS in May (I have to apply this year). I wanted to do the Ck on July. I have 2 LORs. I believe my CV is good. Should I even try or just do the Cs (because I already payed) and thanked everyone and find something new? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

nothing went wrong and yes you didn't do as well as you thought but again no reason to quit. with your score it's true that it will make it rough for you to get matched, but with good score in CK and if your other apps are strong, you still have a shot to find a spot in less competitive field. step 1 is just one of the criteria among many. try to do well in ck and strengthen your other aspects and take time if that is what has to be done.

check out this post:

I passed step 1 with a 192/78. Thought I was toast. Busted ass for step 2, got a 234/95. Out of about 40 applications, had about 20 interview invites, accepted 12. Some were decent Uni, most were low level Uni or strong Community programs. Wound up at my first choice.

So, barely passing step 1 will hurt, but it won't sink you. Things to do:
1. Make sure you application is as strong as it can be, otherwise. Get good grades, etc...
2. Crush step 2, show that your step 1 score is a fluke. Step 2 is often looked at as more important (if you have it) because it tests more relevant material. Additionally, the program may not care that you know the material on either step, but they do NOT want somebody on board that is a "poor test taker" or that will fail in service exams. So, make sure that you demonstrate good knowledge of clinical science, and an ability to pass standardized exams with a strong step 2.
3. Demonstrate a sincere and personal interest in Ob/Gyn with your personal statement, your extra curriculars, and your research interests. A student that is weaker academically, yet geuninely interested in the field, and excited about it, will often times get ranked ahead of the student that is strong academically, but shows less interest, drive and desire
4. Get strong LOR's from Ob/Gyn faculty that verify your ability and interest in Ob/Gyn

All this being said, ob/gyn is still not the most difficult field to match into. Any US grad that passes exams and graduates can likely find a spot somewhere, at least in the current market. But, competitiveness increased markedly this year, from not competitive at all to on the low end of the middle range of competitiveness. With work hour restrictions and (hopefully) malpractice reform, ob/gyn could be on the upswing in popularity. So, by following the above formula, I think you can put yourself in a strong position to get a decent to excellent residency.

Best of luck

Last edited:
I agree with Mudphud. I know several IMGs that matched with similar scores (low 200s). Apply broadly to smaller programs in a primary care specialty if you aren't picky. Better to apply now than later. From what I hear at least there's more US grads every year but the residency spots are staying more or less the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Like others said, you can and should absolutely still move forward--make sure you get a good Step 2 score. I would not recommend applying for semi-competitive specialties like IM where the average is a 230. Aim for specialties like Family Medicine, Psychiatry, OB/GYN, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you
I agree with Mudphud. I know several IMGs that matched with similar scores (low 200s). Apply broadly to smaller programs in a primary care specialty if you aren't picky. Better to apply now than later. From what I hear at least there's more US grads every year but the residency spots are staying more or less the same.

Thank you very much
nothing went wrong and yes you didn't do as well as you thought but again no reason to quit. with your score it's true that it will make it rough for you to get matched, but with good score in CK and if your other apps are strong, you still have a shot to find a spot in less competitive field. step 1 is just one of the criteria among many. try to do well in ck and strengthen your other aspects and take time if that is what has to be done.

check out this post:

I passed step 1 with a 192/78. Thought I was toast. Busted ass for step 2, got a 234/95. Out of about 40 applications, had about 20 interview invites, accepted 12. Some were decent Uni, most were low level Uni or strong Community programs. Wound up at my first choice.

So, barely passing step 1 will hurt, but it won't sink you. Things to do:
1. Make sure you application is as strong as it can be, otherwise. Get good grades, etc...
2. Crush step 2, show that your step 1 score is a fluke. Step 2 is often looked at as more important (if you have it) because it tests more relevant material. Additionally, the program may not care that you know the material on either step, but they do NOT want somebody on board that is a "poor test taker" or that will fail in service exams. So, make sure that you demonstrate good knowledge of clinical science, and an ability to pass standardized exams with a strong step 2.
3. Demonstrate a sincere and personal interest in Ob/Gyn with your personal statement, your extra curriculars, and your research interests. A student that is weaker academically, yet geuninely interested in the field, and excited about it, will often times get ranked ahead of the student that is strong academically, but shows less interest, drive and desire
4. Get strong LOR's from Ob/Gyn faculty that verify your ability and interest in Ob/Gyn

All this being said, ob/gyn is still not the most difficult field to match into. Any US grad that passes exams and graduates can likely find a spot somewhere, at least in the current market. But, competitiveness increased markedly this year, from not competitive at all to on the low end of the middle range of competitiveness. With work hour restrictions and (hopefully) malpractice reform, ob/gyn could be on the upswing in popularity. So, by following the above formula, I think you can put yourself in a strong position to get a decent to excellent residency.

Best of luck

Thank you. I actually was planning on going into peds or IM. I was checking out some smaller university programs on that. Still a little heart broken, but I need to study and try to not get fired.
Like others said, you can and should absolutely still move forward--make sure you get a good Step 2 score. I would not recommend applying for semi-competitive specialties like IM where the average is a 230. Aim for specialties like Family Medicine, Psychiatry, OB/GYN, etc.

Thank you. I actually was planning on going into peds or IM. I was checking out some smaller university programs on that. Still a little heart broken, but I need to study and try to not get fired.
I am in the same situation today. Ended up with step 1 score of 199. I was not expecting that at all! What should I do?? What was your experience since 2016?

You passed but you won’t match. Sorry, but to many programs your score is anchored in the 100s even though you passed.

If I were you I would consider the fact that step 2ck and Cs are expensive and your chances of matching are already below 5%.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Some guy from Bolivia is giving advise lol. I think if one applies broadly and has no preferences - he can always match at least in FM. Lots of FM spots unfilled. Many rural areas.

I mean you have no chances only based on one exam ...! So step 2 and CV cannot help at all? Can anyone with similar experience give some feedback on this?

Some guy from Bolivia is giving advise lol. I think if one applies broadly and has no preferences - he can always match at least in FM. Lots of FM spots unfilled. Many rural areas.
I definitely cannot be picky. You have a good point. Hopefully, I have not ruined my chances completely!