IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The last day of the season is January 31st, isn't it?
I mean no interviews in February! Right?
Not necessarily. Some (few) programs may still interview in February. Kinda rare though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just finished interviewing and am trying to finalize my ROL. I was hoping to get some feedback and input on it thus far. I'm interested in cardio or heme/onc and potentially academic medicine. I'm a US-IMG originally from the northeast and would like to ideally stay in this region, but I'm not locked to this area.

1) Penn Hospital of UPenn
2) UConn Categorical
3) NYU Winthrop - Recently started a med school, so its university now with a solid fellowship match list
4) Medstar Washington Hospital Center
5) UConn Primary Care
6) Albany Medical Center
7) SUNY Upstate
8) Florida Atlantic University
9) UMMS Baystate
10) SUNY Downstate
11) Rochester General Hospital
12) St. Jospeh's University Medical Center, Paterson NJ
13) Newark Beth Israel, Newark NJ
14) NYP Brooklyn Methodist
15) Zucker Northwell Staten Island
16) UCF Ocala
17) Yale-Waterbury
18) NYP Queens
19) Hackensack Palisades
20) Mount Sinai Elmhurst - Queens, NY
21) Zucker Northwell Mather Hospital

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I can't offer you any insight to those programs but can you share your experience/thoughts on Hackensack Palisades?

Hello, I can't offer you any insight to those programs but can you share your experience/thoughts on Hackensack Palisades?

I thought it was an ok program. They have a lot of private docs in the hospital, which turned me away from it personally since they're less inclined to teach. But it's in a fantastic area in Jersey and the hospital is really nice, and they have in house GI i think. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them for you.

Albany doesn’t have an in house H/O program. I’m not sure about Westchester, but if it does, I’d lean towards that
That's true. I'm not dead set on Hem/Onc tho. Ignoring in-house Hem/Onc fellowship, if you had to choose one over the other based on pure academic standing, which would you choose?

Can anyone share their iv experience at the Wright center?
Three interviews.
One panel with a representative from GME, HR and a chief resident.
One interview with one of the two PDs.
And one with a random faculty member.
Loads of situational and behavioural questions. Like too many.

Has anyone sent out "intend to rank you #1" emails to programs? And if so, who did you send it to and what did you actually write in the email?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't even make a difference but don't want to have any regrets.

Thank you!

Hello everyone.
I'm a non-US IMG interested in cards. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with the rankings
Here's my ROL.

1. Cook County
2. Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Fairview Campus
3. Sinai Bronx
4. Sinai Balitmore
5. Montefiore Wakefield
6. Mercy Chicago
7. Lincoln Medical Center NY

Thank you!

Hello everyone.
I'm a non-US IMG interested in cards. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with the rankings
Here's my ROL.

1. Cook County
2. Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Fairview Campus
3. Sinai Bronx
4. Sinai Balitmore
5. Montefiore Wakefield
6. Mercy Chicago
7. Lincoln Medical Center NY

Thank you!
I only interviewed at CCF/Fairview and Sinai Bronx, so can't speak for the rest. But me personally, I liked Bronx better than CCF.

Members don't see this ad :)
need help with ranking :
’m an IM candidate who is interested in perusing a fellowship in Cardiology after IM residency
Factors such as Geographic location, financial benefits,H1 visa offer, are not my priorities.
I wanted the help with my current list, any insight would be appreciated,
1- Creighton Omaha NE
2-Toledo uni OH
3- Albany medical center NY
4-texas tech Uni Lubbock TX
5- marshall Uni WV
6- Charleston Area Medical Center /wVU , because have in house fellowship. WV
7- advent health Orlando Fl ,( nice community program big hospital and excellent educational curriculum, PD is The governed elect of Florida ACP, but they don’t have In House cards fellowship
8-suny downstate Brooklyn (cause of scut work, the exclusion of J1-visa needing IMGs for their in-house fellowship.
9-saint agnus Baltimore MA (no in house fellowship but a chance of 2 months elective in HOpkins.
10-conemough memorial Jonestown PA
11- Geisinger Wyoming valley PA (new program ) but it’ can give u advantage at geisinger Danville for fellowships
12- metropolitan NYMC, NY no fellowship no research
13- woodhul primary care IM NY

Hello everyone!
Congratulation to everyone for nearing the end of the season.
I was hoping someone could help me out with the 'I intend to rank you as my top/in top 3' email?
What content are you putting in? do you mention interview details again?
Also, I was doing a rotation in the last month (in a different city). Do I tell the program about that in my email? - some say it's good to show you're working on your CV still.
and send it to the PD or PC? or even to the faculty you interviewed with?
also what if you didn't interview with the PD?

Thank you!

Guys LOIs do work sometimes! I sent one yesterday to Allegheny, and I woke up with an interview this morning. I almost cannot believe it

I should have been sending all season long but I thought they didn't work I'm so stupid

Hello everyone!
Congratulation to everyone for nearing the end of the season.
I was hoping someone could help me out with the 'I intend to rank you as my top/in top 3' email?
What content are you putting in? do you mention interview details again?
Also, I was doing a rotation in the last month (in a different city). Do I tell the program about that in my email? - some say it's good to show you're working on your CV still.
and send it to the PD or PC? or even to the faculty you interviewed with?
also what if you didn't interview with the PD?

Thank you!
Don't do that stuff man. You either send your #1 that you are ranking them as your #1 or you don't send anything at all. Programs know when you are blowing smoke up their behind especially when you send them an email like "im going to rank you highly". No one wants to be your #2 or #3. Furthermore, by doing that you practically devalue everyone else's LOIs.

Don't do that stuff man. You either send your #1 that you are ranking them as your #1 or you don't send anything at all. Programs know when you are blowing smoke up their behind especially when you send them an email like "im going to rank you highly". No one wants to be your #2 or #3. Furthermore, by doing that you practically devalue everyone else's LOIs.
What if your top three programs are very competitive? Can you send that your ranking them number 1 to all 3 programs?

The hospital and area are beautiful, but I did not like it. The residents were less than enthusiastic about it and would state that conditions have improved then what they’ve been through, which was interesting to me because they weren’t passionate about anything in regards to the program, just stating that it’s improving. It also seemed to lean towards primary care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if your top three programs are very competitive? Can you send that your ranking them number 1 to all 3 programs?

I would not to do that. I’ve heard that PDs talk with each other and they can find this out more often than people realize. Also if they rank you highly and you don’t end up there, that looks really bad and word gets around. PDs look through their list at the end of the season

Sure, straight up lying...always a good character in an intern.

Did they not make mention of no post interview communication as an ACGME guideline?

Reactions: 2 users
I would not to do that. I’ve heard that PDs talk with each other and they can find this out more often than people realize. Also if they rank you highly and you don’t end up there, that looks really bad and word gets around. PDs look through their list at the end of the season

And may remember you come fellowship interview time...true story...the nephrology pd where I did residency was previously an IM pd and one of the nephro applicants had interviewed for IM at his previous program...and he remembered that!

Sure, straight up lying...always a good character in an intern.

Did they not make mention of no post interview communication as an ACGME guideline?

Thanks for both of your input. So I guess the consensus is to only send to my number 1

Also Rokshana, only one of my top 4 said no post interview communication.

Any opinions on Elmhurst hospital- Mount Sinai? Just received an interview from there after a LONG hiatus

What’s the take on updating programs with Step 3 score where you’ve interviewed already.

Step 1 : 240s
CK: 250s
Step 3: 230s

to update or not?!

Reactions: 1 users
What’s the take on updating programs with Step 3 score where you’ve interviewed already.

Step 1 : 240s
CK: 250s
Step 3: 230s

to update or not?!

I got mine today as well. Do we have to do something to retransmit the scores, or are the USMLE transcripts automatically updated?

I was thinking it can't hurt to let the PC know that your scores have been updated. And they can do with that what they want I suppose. I really don't think it will make any difference though.

I got mine today as well. Do we have to do something to retransmit the scores, or are the USMLE transcripts automatically updated?

I was thinking it can't hurt to let the PC know that your scores have been updated. And they can do with that what they want I suppose. I really don't think it will make any difference though.
You have to update it on ERAS. Click on the "additional documents" tab and request a "retransmission".

I've done so, but it seems the transcript hasn't yet been updated with the step 3 score. Do you have any idea how long this normally takes?

Just looking for good training and want to come out as a confident knowledgeable physician. No location preference but will be happy if I end up in a sexy city.

1) Cook County
2) University of Nevada, Las Vegas
3) Maricopa Medical Center
4) NYP-Queens
5) University of Nevada Reno

Can anyone provide insights about maricopa medical center? I have interviewed there and I did like it but I have been hearing negative reviews. Can anyone compare Las Vegas with the other programs. Feel free to take it apart. Thank you.

Hello guys been a while. Interested in Endocrinology. Working on my rank list any suggestion is welcome.

Southern Illinois University
Presence St Joseph
Marshall University
Rosalind Franklin University North Chicago
Carle
Medstar Baltimore
Health Quest
Piedmont Athens
Baton Rouge General
SUNY downstate
Zucker Staten Island Uni
Mclaren Flint
Lincoln
Coney Island

Hello guys been a while. Interested in Endocrinology. Working on my rank list any suggestion is welcome.

Presence St Joseph
Marshall University
Carle
Medstar Baltimore
Health Quest
Piedmont Athens
Baton Rouge General
SUNY downstate
Zucker Staten Island Uni
Mclaren Flint
Lincoln
Coney Island

Nice list ! Any particular reason why medstar Baltimore is higher than SUNY and Zucker?

Can anyine please share their interview experience at Hurley medical center?
Thanks in advance!

Presence St Joseph
Marshall University
Carle
Medstar Baltimore
Health Quest
Piedmont Athens
Baton Rouge General
SUNY downstate
Zucker Staten Island Uni
Mclaren Flint
Lincoln
Coney Island
While not absolutely necessary, would rank programs that have endo in house to help with making connections and getting a chance to do some research and present at meetings...endo is a small world.

Hey guys! Non-US IMG here, interested in cardiology, this is my tentative list, please help me rank these programs:
  1. UConn
  2. Danbury, connecticut
  3. St peters, new jersey
  4. Brooklyn Hospital Center
  5. Wright Center, scranton, Pennsylvania--primary track but in-house cardiology (2) and 1 gastro, a bit confused here since it is a primary track program and maybe fellowship will be limited to inhouse (please advice if this should be above marshfield)
  6. Marshfield clinic WI-- really liked the program and faculty, great infrastructure but no inhouse fellowships, one or two do match into cards, remote location and cold weather, anyone knows if any they have good research, i forgot to ask during interviews, should this be above Wright?
  7. MetroWest medical center, MA--small hospital, no inhouse fellowship
  8. Loyola MacNeal, chicago
  9. Crozer-chester
  10. Saint Agnes fresno
Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate anyone's input

Just looking for good training and want to come out as a confident knowledgeable physician. No location preference but will be happy if I end up in a sexy city.

1) Cook County
2) University of Nevada, Las Vegas
3) Maricopa Medical Center
4) NYP-Queens
5) University of Nevada Reno

Can anyone provide insights about maricopa medical center? I have interviewed there and I did like it but I have been hearing negative reviews. Can anyone compare Las Vegas with the other programs. Feel free to take it apart. Thank you.

any input guys?

any input guys?
I’d say NYPQ is probably slightly better than Copa, but the new Creighton affiliation will give it some juice over time. Especially if you want a sexy city you can switch Copa and NYPQ. Otherwise fine.

Hi guys, here is my ROI:
1. University of Missouri, Columbia program
2. Bridgeport Hospital/Yale university program
3. Presence St. Francis hospital
4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
5. Jacobi medical center/Einstein
6. Zucker School of Medicine/Northwell Staten Island University
7. University of Maryland Midtown Campus
8. McLaren Health care (Flint)

Interested in Heme/Onc fellowship. Not a big fan of NY. Any input will be appreciated, thanks!

Anyone been receiving any love letters from programs?

While not absolutely necessary, would rank programs that have endo in house to help with making connections and getting a chance to do some research and present at meetings...endo is a small world.

Thank you, will definitely consider that

Hey guys! Non-US IMG here, interested in cardiology, this is my tentative list, please help me rank these programs:
  1. UConn
  2. Danbury, connecticut
  3. St peters, new jersey
  4. Brooklyn Hospital Center
  5. Wright Center, scranton, Pennsylvania--primary track but in-house cardiology (2) and 1 gastro, a bit confused here since it is a primary track program and maybe fellowship will be limited to inhouse (please advice if this should be above marshfield)
  6. Marshfield clinic WI-- really liked the program and faculty, great infrastructure but no inhouse fellowships, one or two do match into cards, remote location and cold weather, anyone knows if any they have good research, i forgot to ask during interviews, should this be above Wright?
  7. MetroWest medical center, MA--small hospital, no inhouse fellowship
  8. Loyola MacNeal, chicago
  9. Crozer-chester
  10. Saint Agnes fresno
Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate anyone's input
Any advice on this guys?

Anyone been receiving any love letters from programs?
Got one today, it was from a program I rotated in, and seemed quite personalised. Really exciting as I'm strongly considering it as my No.1, but I've still got a bit of thinking to do. Have you got one?