IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

Started by Bobbbyyyy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not directed at me but I rotated at Pennsy - great quality of life, amazing part of the city to live in and mostly Ivy League fellowship matches - would rank highly

They have Ivy League matches for some of the weaker fellowships, not the big 4. NJMS had 8 people match cardio, 4 into GI, and 5 into H/O just last year which is really good and a better list than pennsy. Idk about Miami, but I personally would rank NJMS over pennsy
 
Thanks Alexxmann and Gutonc, I really appreciate it! Currently, I am ranking NJMS above Pennsy, but can`t really decide. The rest of my list is very similar to what Gutonc put above.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone!
Non-US IMG here, interested in Cards! Will go for J1 only. Location is of minimal importance. No University interviews so ranking programs with better chances/inhouse fellowships on top.

1) Wright Center - PC track (only drawback -not sure how to judge) but descent research opportunity, lots of free time especially on weekends to do research, inhouse prematch cards (4 spots, planning on expanding), loved Scranton.

2) UPMC Pinnacle - good research opportunity, they say they will start cards soon, allows away electives to main UPMC

3) St Joseph Mercy Oakland, MI- has inhouse cards 2 spots, takes 1 of their own, known of very unsafe area, would rather want to stay anywhere in the northeast, descent research opportunity.

4) Sinai Hospital, Baltimore (previously affiliated with JHH) - 90% goes to fellowships, no inhouse, Electives at john Hopkins is allowed. Good research opportunity.

5) Anne Arundel - new program (will be in the first batch) great facility (loved the program btw), affiliation with JHH and UofMaryland, loved the place and hospital but unsure since will be in the first batch. They said the cap will be of 5 only so assuming decent time of research.

6) Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI (affiliated with Boston U - strong on research), Cath lab present but no procedures only diagnostics,70% goes to fellowships, known for inhouse hem/onc

7) Montefiore Wakefield campus - Hospital doesn't have Cath lab. Cardio rotation is at Moses and Weiler. Usually, 1 person goes to Moses and Weiler for cards provided good research on hand, (has inhouse GI and Geriatrics)

8) The University of Maryland Prince George Medical Center Cheverly, MD- Has Cath Lab and does PCI, very fewer research opportunities, poor fellowship match rate(quoting the resident)

9) Steward Carney, MA - Affiliated with Tufts, fewer research opportunities but good free time. No Cath lab (cards rotation at St Elizabeth's, MA)

10) Harlem, NY - Known of malignancy and no free time to do research. Poor fellowship match rates.

I would highly appreciate your input! TIA.
 
Hello Everyone!
Non-US IMG here, interested in Cards! Will go for J1 only. Location is of minimal importance. No University interviews so ranking programs with better chances/inhouse fellowships on top.

1) Wright Center - PC track (only drawback -not sure how to judge) but descent research opportunity, lots of free time especially on weekends to do research, inhouse prematch cards (4 spots, planning on expanding), loved Scranton.

2) UPMC Pinnacle - good research opportunity, they say they will start cards soon, allows away electives to main UPMC

3) St Joseph Mercy Oakland, MI- has inhouse cards 2 spots, takes 1 of their own, known of very unsafe area, would rather want to stay anywhere in the northeast, descent research opportunity.

4) Sinai Hospital, Baltimore (previously affiliated with JHH) - 90% goes to fellowships, no inhouse, Electives at john Hopkins is allowed. Good research opportunity.

5) Anne Arundel - new program (will be in the first batch) great facility (loved the program btw), affiliation with JHH and UofMaryland, loved the place and hospital but unsure since will be in the first batch. They said the cap will be of 5 only so assuming decent time of research.

6) Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI (affiliated with Boston U - strong on research), Cath lab present but no procedures only diagnostics,70% goes to fellowships, known for inhouse hem/onc

7) Montefiore Wakefield campus - Hospital doesn't have Cath lab. Cardio rotation is at Moses and Weiler. Usually, 1 person goes to Moses and Weiler for cards provided good research on hand, (has inhouse GI and Geriatrics)

8) The University of Maryland Prince George Medical Center Cheverly, MD- Has Cath Lab and does PCI, very fewer research opportunities, poor fellowship match rate(quoting the resident)

9) Steward Carney, MA - Affiliated with Tufts, fewer research opportunities but good free time. No Cath lab (cards rotation at St Elizabeth's, MA)

10) Harlem, NY - Known of malignancy and no free time to do research. Poor fellowship match rates.

I would highly appreciate your input! TIA.
Are you ranking wright at the top then?
 
Hello Everyone!
Non-US IMG here, interested in Cards! Will go for J1 only. Location is of minimal importance. No University interviews so ranking programs with better chances/inhouse fellowships on top.

1) Wright Center - PC track (only drawback -not sure how to judge) but descent research opportunity, lots of free time especially on weekends to do research, inhouse prematch cards (4 spots, planning on expanding), loved Scranton.

2) UPMC Pinnacle - good research opportunity, they say they will start cards soon, allows away electives to main UPMC

3) St Joseph Mercy Oakland, MI- has inhouse cards 2 spots, takes 1 of their own, known of very unsafe area, would rather want to stay anywhere in the northeast, descent research opportunity.

4) Sinai Hospital, Baltimore (previously affiliated with JHH) - 90% goes to fellowships, no inhouse, Electives at john Hopkins is allowed. Good research opportunity.

5) Anne Arundel - new program (will be in the first batch) great facility (loved the program btw), affiliation with JHH and UofMaryland, loved the place and hospital but unsure since will be in the first batch. They said the cap will be of 5 only so assuming decent time of research.

6) Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI (affiliated with Boston U - strong on research), Cath lab present but no procedures only diagnostics,70% goes to fellowships, known for inhouse hem/onc

7) Montefiore Wakefield campus - Hospital doesn't have Cath lab. Cardio rotation is at Moses and Weiler. Usually, 1 person goes to Moses and Weiler for cards provided good research on hand, (has inhouse GI and Geriatrics)

8) The University of Maryland Prince George Medical Center Cheverly, MD- Has Cath Lab and does PCI, very fewer research opportunities, poor fellowship match rate(quoting the resident)

9) Steward Carney, MA - Affiliated with Tufts, fewer research opportunities but good free time. No Cath lab (cards rotation at St Elizabeth's, MA)

10) Harlem, NY - Known of malignancy and no free time to do research. Poor fellowship match rates.

I would highly appreciate your input! TIA.


Hey great list! just wanted to know if wright center being primary track program limits our chances to inhouse fellowships only, will you prefer Wright over a catgeorical program with only one cards match and mostly hospitalists
 
Hello Guys!

I am a bit confused regarding these few programs on my list. I want to rank them based on (1) reputation/ clinical training, (2) seeking fellowship in Haem/Onc or cardiology (3) Good and supportive environment. No location or weather preference. Any help will be highly appreciated.

My tentative list is as follows:
(1) U Arkansas
(2) Creighton Omaha
(3) U Mississipi
(4) U Arizona - South Campus
(5) UAB Huntsville
(6) Englewood Hospital
(7) Kent / Brown University
(8) Rochester Unity

Thanks
keep it the way it is
 
Are you ranking wright at the top then?
The reason I kept it at the top is that I liked Scranton much better than Pontiac. According to some people that I talked with, Primary care would not limit my chances as much. The residents there still got IV at good University hospitals like Baylor and no one knew that they were from primary track. Another benefit is that almost every weekend is free which gives a large amount of time to do research which paves the way to get into better fellowship places.
Not sure if I am thinking this correctly.
Hey great list! just wanted to know if wright center being primary track program limits our chances to inhouse fellowships only, will you prefer Wright over a catgeorical program with only one cards match and mostly hospitalists
 
I have an interview there too and at ann Arundel. I thought it was a very nice place. The area seemed expensive though.
I really loved Anne Arundel. Hospital is very new and one of the large community ones! Very well funded! I really wish if there were previous batches, coz it would have been in my top 3 easily then. Being the first batch is worrisome! I feel CoL wouldn't matter as much because all salaries are relative to the area!
 
+2 Harlem Hospital! If anyone has interviewed there, any advice or tips?

I liked the Hospital, but Harlem is not very nice. The residents I met were nice people and I felt a good vibe. Also, it is affiliated with Columbia. Nevertheless, the program is extremely disorganized, they made us wait for interviews from 9-3pm in a small room which I thought it was very unprofessional. Also I hated the curriculum, you get only one month of elective in total(in your third year), and you have two interviews and both of them ask you medical questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, any thoughts on my top 5? Interested in Cards, really unsure of how to rank between 3-5.

1. UBuffalo
2. NYU Winthrop
3. UToledo
4. DMC/Wayne State
5. Morehouse School of Medicine
 
I liked the Hospital, but Harlem is not very nice. The residents I met were nice people and I felt a good vibe. Also, it is affiliated with Columbia. Nevertheless, the program is extremely disorganized, they made us wait for interviews from 9-3pm in a small room which I thought it was very unprofessional. Also I hated the curriculum, you get only one month of elective in total(in your third year), and you have two interviews and both of them ask you medical questions.
Thanks for the reply and insight.
 
hello how would you rank these 3 programs? IM
I am non USA IMG, planning to do cardio fellowship
1)einstein Philly
2) Jacobi
3) Rutgers NJMS ?
 
Someone help me too!
1 abington,pa
2 sisters, buffalo
3 ann Arundel
4 wright center
5 wester reserve neomed ohio
I do want to do cards fellowship, but the area I live in is also important, so I prefer if a big city is nearby
 
Hello Everyone!
Non-US IMG here, interested in Cards! Will go for J1 only. Location is of minimal importance. No University interviews so ranking programs with better chances/inhouse fellowships on top.

1) Wright Center - PC track (only drawback -not sure how to judge) but descent research opportunity, lots of free time especially on weekends to do research, inhouse prematch cards (4 spots, planning on expanding), loved Scranton.

2) UPMC Pinnacle - good research opportunity, they say they will start cards soon, allows away electives to main UPMC

3) St Joseph Mercy Oakland, MI- has inhouse cards 2 spots, takes 1 of their own, known of very unsafe area, would rather want to stay anywhere in the northeast, descent research opportunity.

4) Sinai Hospital, Baltimore (previously affiliated with JHH) - 90% goes to fellowships, no inhouse, Electives at john Hopkins is allowed. Good research opportunity.

5) Anne Arundel - new program (will be in the first batch) great facility (loved the program btw), affiliation with JHH and UofMaryland, loved the place and hospital but unsure since will be in the first batch. They said the cap will be of 5 only so assuming decent time of research.

6) Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, RI (affiliated with Boston U - strong on research), Cath lab present but no procedures only diagnostics,70% goes to fellowships, known for inhouse hem/onc

7) Montefiore Wakefield campus - Hospital doesn't have Cath lab. Cardio rotation is at Moses and Weiler. Usually, 1 person goes to Moses and Weiler for cards provided good research on hand, (has inhouse GI and Geriatrics)

8) The University of Maryland Prince George Medical Center Cheverly, MD- Has Cath Lab and does PCI, very fewer research opportunities, poor fellowship match rate(quoting the resident)

9) Steward Carney, MA - Affiliated with Tufts, fewer research opportunities but good free time. No Cath lab (cards rotation at St Elizabeth's, MA)

10) Harlem, NY - Known of malignancy and no free time to do research. Poor fellowship match rates.

I would highly appreciate your input! TIA.


Hey! Can you elaborate how you felt about UMD Prince George’s? According to the PC, the fellowship match seemed to be at decent places but I have mixed feelings about the program too! Would appreciate your input.
 
Hey! Can you elaborate how you felt about UMD Prince George’s? According to the PC, the fellowship match seemed to be at decent places but I have mixed feelings about the program too! Would appreciate your input.
Every program tries and sell themselves too right? Even the PC said same to us, but when I talked to one chief resident, he didn't match and clearly said there is limited time to do research and you have to be absolutely self motivated to do it. Program do have support but limited. He didn't match in Hem/Onc btw.
 
Every program tries and sell themselves too right? Even the PC said same to us, but when I talked to one chief resident, he didn't match and clearly said there is limited time to do research and you have to be absolutely self motivated to do it. Program do have support but limited. He didn't match in Hem/Onc btw.
Yes agreed! The chief residents weren’t there the day I interviewed so had no idea about this. Thanks for your input!
 
Which one should be ranked higher for IM,
need visa,
aiming for Cardiology fellowship

- wright center, scranton or Marshfield clinic, wisconsin
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take it with a grain of salt. I remember reading an experience on this forum where something similar was said and later turned out false.
Thank you. Yes it did happen to a friend of mine during SOAP, but it sure raised a red flag about ranking them high. Probably they would consider ranking some number 50 high for 15 position.
 
Any opinion on a program that called and said we ranked you in our top list without being asked?
that`a a txt book definition of NRMP rule breakage Only pre match programs do that.lol

decent programs DO NOT break the rules to guarantee a good candidate. that`s as desperate as an IMG with 4 Fails trying to secure a match by sending a 3 pages love letter to the one and only program on their rank list
 
that`a a txt book definition of NRMP rule breakage Only pre match programs do that.lol

decent programs DO NOT break the rules to guarantee a good candidate. that`s as desperate as an IMG with 4 Fails trying to secure a match by sending a 3 pages love letter to the one and only program on their rank list
No, that’s is not a match violation...they can tell you anything and you can tell them anything...they can NOT ask you for information...if the program had called the applicant and asked where the applicant was ranking their program, that would be a match violation...but telling you that you are ranked # whatever or are ranked to match is perfectly fine...but they have to tell you the truth...they can’t lie about it.
 
Hi everyone:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question... Please forgive me if this is not the appropriate thread...

I am thinking about applying for 2021-2022 match. However, as a non-US IMG requiring visa, I have some red-flags...
My scores are 243 for step1 and 225 for step 2ck. I haven't taken CS. I graduated in 2018 and now I am doing a phd in University of Oxford.
Do you guys think I still stand a chance for matching IM residency?
By the time of 2021 match I think I will have some publications, will that compensate for my low ck score and YOG?

Thanks a lot!
 
Hi everyone:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question... Please forgive me if this is not the appropriate thread...

I am thinking about applying for 2021-2022 match. However, as a non-US IMG requiring visa, I have some red-flags...
My scores are 243 for step1 and 225 for step 2ck. I haven't taken CS. I graduated in 2018 and now I am doing a phd in University of Oxford.
Do you guys think I still stand a chance for matching IM residency?
By the time of 2021 match I think I will have some publications, will that compensate for my low ck score and YOG?

Thanks a lot!
You definitely have a shot!
Don't give up
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that we’re concluding our interview trail, I kinda feel anxious for Match Day. Why do people say there are stories of people with 10+ interviews that don’t end up matching? What do you think happens?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Now that we’re concluding our interview trail, I kinda feel anxious for Match Day. Why do people say there are stories of people with 10+ interviews that don’t end up matching? What do you think happens?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall, it's really hard to say, but I would assume it's a combination of several factors. But I think a lot of it has to do how the program perceived said applicant on interview day. You'd be surprised to see how many applicants overestimate their interviewing skills and then being really really upset on match day.
 
No, that’s is not a match violation...they can tell you anything and you can tell them anything...they can NOT ask you for information...if the program had called the applicant and asked where the applicant was ranking their program, that would be a match violation...but telling you that you are ranked # whatever or are ranked to match is perfectly fine...but they have to tell you the truth...they can’t lie about it.
thank you for explaining my misconception

i still think it is a desperate move from the program, MID and UPPer tiers University program, would not be that desperate to send that love letter, to disturb the RESIDENT mindset, and guarantee they get him, it will creat confusion and unnecessary anxiety among those who didn't get it, but then later match because there spot was tentatively and got up on the list because the top applicants matched somewhere else.

imagine then ,the program leadership face will look dumb, in front of the new class members, who did not get the love letter...
 
thank you for explaining my misconception

i still think it is a desperate move from the program, MID and UPPer tiers University program, would not be that desperate to send that love letter, to disturb the RESIDENT mindset, and guarantee they get him, it will creat confusion and unnecessary anxiety among those who didn't get it, but then later match because there spot was tentatively and got up on the list because the top applicants matched somewhere else.

imagine then ,the program leadership face will look dumb, in front of the new class members, who did not get the love letter...
And you're wrong again on this one. I got plenty of them from Top X programs back in the day. I assure you plenty of folks do to this day as well.