You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020
Started by Bobbbyyyy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Has someone interviewed at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore? Could you please send me the info they provided in the USB drive? My USB is empty for some reason. I would really appreciate it!
Last edited:
Thanks!Real nice casual conversation about CV, typical IV questions, no medical questions. Not everyone interviews with PD. I interviewed with associate PD and a faculty.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usmle mania
Full Member
Thank you so much! they extended an interview to me recently, I'm not sure if its worth travelling to since I would like to stay in the East coast primarily. So not even sure if i'll rank it that high. So super confused right now. Its an investment in terms of time, energy and money all of which i'm running low on now LOLSo I interviewed there back in October and here’s my assessment: it’s UNR’s home Hospital but the university does not own it, they are just affiliated. Since there is a med school, def some basic science research opportunities and decent NIH funding. Fellowship placement is so so, which I think is partly because UNR doesn’t have a whole lot of name recognition out west. They’re IMG friendly though so def worth checking out.
I think the label of community vs affiliate vs university has a lot of people tangled up and we should def evaluate it program by program because there are some amazing community programs out there, that are way stronger than some of these university or uni affiliates.
Any thoughts on University of Nevada,Reno IM program? Is it a uni program or uni-afflicted? Hows the area/city? How is in terms of a fellowship placement afterwards? Any remarks will be appreciated. Thank you!
I had an observership experience there. I think the city, it’s proximity to California is amazing. But unfortunately this is not even a community program! The main hospital (Renown) is private! You will not find faculties in some subspecialties! The hospital has 4 ICUs and all the attendings are hospitalists, they don’t teach if you are not super interested and they don’t even do rounds With the residents (except with the nurses), you’re on your own. Other than Renown, the program has VA hospital where 1/3 of the training takes place! I thought this program was excellent before the season started, but after seeing bigger medical centers and better programs, I found them just an average community program at a private hospital with a university tag and in affiliation with the VA system.
Last edited:
Same situation! I don't think it does. It makes me feel better that I have a longer ROL lol. Even though I know they might not rank me in that particular track.guys, I'm creating my ROL, it looks like I applied to both the categorical and PC track of a program I interviewed at. They told me during the interview they'll assign me to the categorical group after asking me about my future plans.
should I still rank both tracks on my ROL? it doesn't hurt me in any way to do so right?
Kettering Health Network/Kettering Medical Center Program Internal Medicine -- Rejection
The applicant
Full Member
Second Medstar rejection. 😀
SameROL certified... Now the waiting game![]()
They don't. You have to go by the first email they sentAnyone interview or will interview at Woodhull? How was the interview? Do they send email confirmation? I have an interview there next week and still have not received any details after signing up on ERAS. Thanks.
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Hey guys, interview season is almost over and I already have a tentative ROL written down. Would like some input. Interested in heme-onc/cards. Location and QOL is of huge importance to me.
-UConn
-Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center
-Jefferson-Abington Memorial*
-SUNY Downstate*
-SUNY Upstate
-Icahn SOM-Queens Hospital Center
-Northwell-Staten Island University Hospital
-Ascencion St John Hospital
-Atlantic Health Overlook
-Rutgers-Trinitas Hospital Center
*: Abington and Downstate are interchangeable. Really not a fan of the NY programs or NY lifestyle. Already been here for almost 2y and don't want to stay unless absolutely necessary.
-UConn
-Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center
-Jefferson-Abington Memorial*
-SUNY Downstate*
-SUNY Upstate
-Icahn SOM-Queens Hospital Center
-Northwell-Staten Island University Hospital
-Ascencion St John Hospital
-Atlantic Health Overlook
-Rutgers-Trinitas Hospital Center
*: Abington and Downstate are interchangeable. Really not a fan of the NY programs or NY lifestyle. Already been here for almost 2y and don't want to stay unless absolutely necessary.
Hey guys, interview season is almost over and I already have a tentative ROL written down. Would like some input. Interested in heme-onc/cards. Location and QOL is of huge importance to me.
-UConn
-Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center
-Jefferson-Abington Memorial*
-SUNY Downstate*
-SUNY Upstate
-Icahn SOM-Queens Hospital Center
-Northwell-Staten Island University Hospital
-Ascencion St John Hospital
-Atlantic Health Overlook
-Rutgers-Trinitas Hospital Center
*: Abington and Downstate are interchangeable. Really not a fan of the NY programs or NY lifestyle. Already been here for almost 2y and don't want to stay unless absolutely necessary.
I’m sorry I’m not able to contribute, but I was wondering what you thought of Jefferson/ Abington? I have an interview there next week
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Loved the people and loved the city. Like 30-40mins north of Downtown Philadelphia. Hospital is renovated and everyone is super supportive. For a community hospital which is affiliated to Jefferson, they send their residents to decent fellowships.I’m sorry I’m not able to contribute, but I was wondering what you thought of Jefferson/ Abington? I have an interview there next week
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usmle mania
Full Member
Thanks alot. It really helps clear out my decision of going or canceling the interview. I appreciate the help!I had an observership experience there. I think the city, it’s proximity to California is amazing. But unfortunately this is not even a community program! The main hospital (Renown) is private! You will not find faculties in some subspecialties! The hospital has 4 ICUs and all the attendings are hospitalists, they don’t teach if you are not super interested and they don’t even do rounds With the residents (except with the nurses), you’re on your own. Other than Renown, the program has VA hospital where 1/3 of the training takes place! I thought this program was excellent before the season started, but after seeing bigger medical centers and better programs, I found them just an average community program at a private hospital with a university tag and in affiliation with the VA system.
Usmle mania
Full Member
I can share some insight about Downstate. If you want a pathology heavy residency, i think that’s the place to be at. If you want a fellowship, this is it. But if you want a nice area the moment you step out of the hospital, this isn’t it. You’ll have to live 10-20 mins away from the hospital. It’s a crazyyyy program, not an easy residency tbh. But I personally think it’s worth it. It all comes down on priorities and future plans. If you don’t want a fellowship, I’d stay away from this program. There are plenty of good places with a better work and personal life balance.Any inputs on SUNY Downstate/ UCF Orlando?
Hey guys, interview season is almost over and I already have a tentative ROL written down. Would like some input. Interested in heme-onc/cards. Location and QOL is of huge importance to me.
-UConn
-Georgetown-Washington Hospital Center
-Jefferson-Abington Memorial*
-SUNY Downstate*
-SUNY Upstate
-Icahn SOM-Queens Hospital Center
-Northwell-Staten Island University Hospital
-Ascencion St John Hospital
-Atlantic Health Overlook
-Rutgers-Trinitas Hospital Center
*: Abington and Downstate are interchangeable. Really not a fan of the NY programs or NY lifestyle. Already been here for almost 2y and don't want to stay unless absolutely necessary.
I interviewed in Abington. It is a descent program but I’m not sure why that is so high on your list. Their fellowship match was also not the best
Hi guys any suggestions on the following order of programs?
1. UPMC McKeesport- not the best location but residents seem to do decently in fellowship match
2. Medstar Baltimore- Happy residents and decent fellowship match
3 Abington memorial- Happy residents and supportive programs
4 St Agnes Baltimore- Did not get the best impression from my interview day
5 Hurley- Haven’t interviewed yet
Thank you in advance
1. UPMC McKeesport- not the best location but residents seem to do decently in fellowship match
2. Medstar Baltimore- Happy residents and decent fellowship match
3 Abington memorial- Happy residents and supportive programs
4 St Agnes Baltimore- Did not get the best impression from my interview day
5 Hurley- Haven’t interviewed yet
Thank you in advance
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Unfortunately, I don't see myself living in Syracuse for 3-4y cause it's so depressing there. I've rotated at Downstate and legit every resident there has recommended me to gtfo if given the chance. Yea Downstate might have a better match list than Abington, but people there are really miserable. I would gladly take a slight hit when it comes to fellowships quality if it means people around me are more happy and supportive.I interviewed in Abington. It is a descent program but I’m not sure why that is so high on your list. Their fellowship match was also not the best
The Jeff/Abington matches look decent tbh. If you don't like the NY lifestyle, totally fair to rank it over the SUNYs. Go with your gut mate.Unfortunately, I don't see myself living in Syracuse for 3-4y cause it's so depressing there. I've rotated at Downstate and legit every resident there has recommended me to gtfo if given the chance. Yea Downstate might have a better match list than Abington, but people there are really miserable. I would gladly take a slight hit when it comes to fellowships quality if it means people around me are more happy and supportive.
Positive vibes1
Full Member
Alright guys. My interview season is almost over and I need your help with the ranking.
1. Wright Medical Center for Graduate Medical Education
2. Montefiore Wakefield campus
3. St. Mary Langhorne (PA)
4. Lincoln Medical Center
5. Charleston Area Medical Center - West Virginia
Any input would be appreciated!
1. Wright Medical Center for Graduate Medical Education
2. Montefiore Wakefield campus
3. St. Mary Langhorne (PA)
4. Lincoln Medical Center
5. Charleston Area Medical Center - West Virginia
Any input would be appreciated!
Did somebody receive an email from st. Joseph in Paterson, NJ today?
Yes they sent it to ALL the applicants who they interview. so if you are wondering if it is a "love letter" it most definitely is not.
Unfortunately, I don't see myself living in Syracuse for 3-4y cause it's so depressing there. I've rotated at Downstate and legit every resident there has recommended me to gtfo if given the chance. Yea Downstate might have a better match list than Abington, but people there are really miserable. I would gladly take a slight hit when it comes to fellowships quality if it means people around me are more happy and supportive.
doesn’t downstate have a TON of residents?That’s more chances for them to have people match at places they can advertise. I feel like I’ve been seeing a decent number of residents not even interested in fellowships (including at big name universities with many opportunities) and if you’re a smaller program that could easily be half your class that doesn’t even apply to fellowship.
I had a question about Abington. I know they have a step 3 requirement, but I’m a US IMG, I don’t think I need to take it before ranking right? Because the way they describe it is that those that want an H1b should take it before, but J1s can take it during intern year.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Yea they have a massive cohort. The whole process is whack. Honestly, the whole field of medicine is a marathon. You have to chose what's important for you during residency and then decide later what you want for fellowship.doesn’t downstate have a TON of residents?That’s more chances for them to have people match at places they can advertise. I feel like I’ve been seeing a decent number of residents not even interested in fellowships (including at big name universities with many opportunities) and if you’re a smaller program that could easily be half your class that doesn’t even apply to fellowship.
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Thanks man! Appreciate the support. Likewise, I honestly thought the fellowship match list at Abington really wasn't bad.The Jeff/Abington matches look decent tbh. If you don't like the NY lifestyle, totally fair to rank it over the SUNYs. Go with your gut mate.
TheFlyingButtress
Full Member
Question to those of you who have already sent the "You're my #1" email to your top program... Did you only send it to the PD? At my top choice, I interviewed with faculty members but not with the PD, so I'm wondering who would be the right person to address. The interview was over a week ago, and I didn't write any thank you emails to my interviewers, so i feel it would be a little bit awkward to reach out to them this late to thank them and let them know they're my top choice.
I know in the end this type of post-IV communication is pretty meaningless and most likely has no effect on ranking, so it's more so just for my own peace of mind.
I know in the end this type of post-IV communication is pretty meaningless and most likely has no effect on ranking, so it's more so just for my own peace of mind.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TheFlyingButtress
Full Member
Unfortunately, I don't see myself living in Syracuse for 3-4y cause it's so depressing there. I've rotated at Downstate and legit every resident there has recommended me to gtfo if given the chance. Yea Downstate might have a better match list than Abington, but people there are really miserable. I would gladly take a slight hit when it comes to fellowships quality if it means people around me are more happy and supportive.
I think you're making the right choice. Downstate is pretty much known for their miserable residents and unpleasant working culture. In the end, a slight increase in prestige really isn't worth it (imo).
D
deleted972898
What’s wrong with Syracuse? I kinda liked suny upstateUnfortunately, I don't see myself living in Syracuse for 3-4y cause it's so depressing there. I've rotated at Downstate and legit every resident there has recommended me to gtfo if given the chance. Yea Downstate might have a better match list than Abington, but people there are really miserable. I would gladly take a slight hit when it comes to fellowships quality if it means people around me are more happy and supportive.
Question to those of you who have already sent the "You're my #1" email to your top program... Did you only send it to the PD? At my top choice, I interviewed with faculty members but not with the PD, so I'm wondering who would be the right person to address. The interview was over a week ago, and I didn't write any thank you emails to my interviewers, so i feel it would be a little bit awkward to reach out to them this late to thank them and let them know they're my top choice.
I know in the end this type of post-IV communication is pretty meaningless and most likely has no effect on ranking, so it's more so just for my own peace of mind.
I personally sent it to the PD although I interviewed with two APDs and a chief. I just mentioned that I interviewed with them and on what date.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What’s wrong with Syracuse? I kinda liked suny upstate
Not the original poster, but I didn’t like upstate either. It was too “remote.” I currently live in a state/city where everything is really accessible and taking a major highway can take me to various other states/cities. So being in a remote area upstate felt a bit suffocating. I will rank my program, but farther down the list
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked Upstate as well. Syracuse overall is a boring town with bad weather on top of that. I have friends there, who love the program but end up being so bored on their weekends because there's not a whole lot to do. Especially if its fully snowed in during wintertime. If I end up there, I plan on getting an Xbox for my golden weekends lmao.What’s wrong with Syracuse? I kinda liked suny upstate
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Upstate was a nice program with nice people, but the city itself is really boring (and the weather sucks). On top of that, a lot of fellows stay in house, which means that you'll be in that city for like 5y+ and I don't think I'll be able to do that. If I ever end up there, I'll prob have to buy a Switch or Xbox.What’s wrong with Syracuse? I kinda liked suny upstate
Guys non us img interested in endocrinology. Between cook county and Abington memorial which should I rank higher?? Thanks.
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using SDN mobile
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using SDN mobile
Why not PlayStation??Upstate was a nice program with nice people, but the city itself is really boring (and the weather sucks). On top of that, a lot of fellows stay in house, which means that you'll be in that city for like 5y+ and I don't think I'll be able to do that. If I ever end up there, I'll prob have to buy a Switch or Xbox.
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using SDN mobile
Cook county vs Abington is not really a comparison in terms of fellowship placement. I think CC is much better for almost fellowships compared to Abington.Guys non us img interested in endocrinology. Between cook county and Abington memorial which should I rank higher?? Thanks.
Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using SDN mobile
Question to those of you who have already sent the "You're my #1" email to your top program... Did you only send it to the PD? At my top choice, I interviewed with faculty members but not with the PD, so I'm wondering who would be the right person to address. The interview was over a week ago, and I didn't write any thank you emails to my interviewers, so i feel it would be a little bit awkward to reach out to them this late to thank them and let them know they're my top choice.
I know in the end this type of post-IV communication is pretty meaningless and most likely has no effect on ranking, so it's more so just for my own peace of mind.
I was told that it doesn't matter. The rank order would not be changed anyway...
Jersey shore, NJ or Beaumont, MI?
If you're asking for a location comparison; imo Jersey Shore>MichiganJersey shore, NJ or Beaumont, MI?
The upside is that at least you will have enough money to travel elsewhere since you don’t have to put 75% of your take home into rent like you do in nyc...I liked Upstate as well. Syracuse overall is a boring town with bad weather on top of that. I have friends there, who love the program but end up being so bored on their weekends because there's not a whole lot to do. Especially if its fully snowed in during wintertime. If I end up there, I plan on getting an Xbox for my golden weekends lmao.
oh you bet, and that backdoor Roth is gonna be fully funded each year lolThe upside is that at least you will have enough money to travel elsewhere since you don’t have to put 75% of your take home into rent like you do in nyc...
I had an observership experience there. I think the city, it’s proximity to California is amazing. But unfortunately this is not even a community program! The main hospital (Renown) is private! You will not find faculties in some subspecialties! The hospital has 4 ICUs and all the attendings are hospitalists, they don’t teach if you are not super interested and they don’t even do rounds With the residents (except with the nurses), you’re on your own. Other than Renown, the program has VA hospital where 1/3 of the training takes place! I thought this program was excellent before the season started, but after seeing bigger medical centers and better programs, I found them just an average community program at a private hospital with a university tag and in affiliation with the VA system.
wonder how ACGME approved the program? :O
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Famrobgar
New Member
Guys i would appreciate some insight on whether this ROL seems right, some info: green card holder, interested in GI or Cards (undecided).
1.University of Connecticut
2.Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
3.St. Elizabeth
4.SUNY Downstate
5.UPMC Mercy
6.Englewood
7.Montefiore Wakefield
8.Advocate Masonic
9.Newark Beth Israel
10.St Agnes
11.Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
12.Lincoln
13.Metropolitan
14.Griffin Health
15.Trinitas Regional Medical Center
1.University of Connecticut
2.Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
3.St. Elizabeth
4.SUNY Downstate
5.UPMC Mercy
6.Englewood
7.Montefiore Wakefield
8.Advocate Masonic
9.Newark Beth Israel
10.St Agnes
11.Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
12.Lincoln
13.Metropolitan
14.Griffin Health
15.Trinitas Regional Medical Center
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
Seems pretty solid. But NJMS does have a better Cards/GI placement than UConnGuys i would appreciate some insight on whether this ROL seems right, some info: green card holder, interested in GI or Cards (undecided).
1.University of Connecticut
2.Rutgers NJMS (Newark)
3.St. Elizabeth
4.SUNY Downstate
5.UPMC Mercy
6.Englewood
7.Montefiore Wakefield
8.Advocate Masonic
9.Newark Beth Israel
10.St Agnes
11.Jersey Shore Perth Amboy
12.Lincoln
13.Metropolitan
14.Griffin Health
15.Trinitas Regional Medical Center
Famrobgar
New Member
Your right, NJMS does have a better fellowship track record. Im kind on thr fence between St E and Suny whether i should reverse the order, they seem pretty equivalent but maybe Suny has a better brand name.Seems pretty solid. But NJMS does have a better Cards/GI placement than UConn
Your right, NJMS does have a better fellowship track record. Im kind on thr fence between St E and Suny whether i should reverse the order, they seem pretty equivalent but maybe Suny has a better brand name.
I would disagree, this year in Uconn GI was the bomb. As of cardio, I would agree lol.
xxEclipsexx
Full Member
For the SUNY VS STE, it all depends what you want out of your residency program experience. Honeslty, I'm the type of person to want a reasonable QOL and an OK fellowship match list. And quite honestly, that isn't SUNY D.Your right, NJMS does have a better fellowship track record. Im kind on thr fence between St E and Suny whether i should reverse the order, they seem pretty equivalent but maybe Suny has a better brand name.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
