IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

Started by Bobbbyyyy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that we’re concluding our interview trail, I kinda feel anxious for Match Day. Why do people say there are stories of people with 10+ interviews that don’t end up matching? What do you think happens?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

statistically if you look at the nrmp data having that many interviews means you have a very good chance of matching. There are always people who are statistical anomalies for whatever reason and because of that everyone remembers their story and it gets passed around a lot.
 
Hi everyone:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question... Please forgive me if this is not the appropriate thread...

I am thinking about applying for 2021-2022 match. However, as a non-US IMG requiring visa, I have some red-flags...
My scores are 243 for step1 and 225 for step 2ck. I haven't taken CS. I graduated in 2018 and now I am doing a phd in University of Oxford.
Do you guys think I still stand a chance for matching IM residency?
By the time of 2021 match I think I will have some publications, will that compensate for my low ck score and YOG?

Thanks a lot!
You definitely stand a chance. Yes, your CK score is low, but step 1 should be fine for many programs. It sounds like you will have some good research experience by the time of your application.

Most important now is to secure yourself some USCE (hands on, not observerships - try to get 3 months if you can). It's best to get inpatient experience in a US hospital, but this is often hard to get for foreigners who have already graduated, so in this case outpatient clinics are still better than nothing. Try to get as strong and personalized LORs from here as you can.

Maybe try working on your application early and do a bit of volunteering work that's relevant to your clinical interests. Though not nearly as important as the other stuff, it can only serve to help you and distinguish you from others.

And of course, you will need to apply broadly (as an FMG at least 150 programs), and research the programs ahead of time to make sure you don't waste money applying to programs where you stand little to no chance of matching.

Good luck!
 
thank you for explaining my misconception

i still think it is a desperate move from the program, MID and UPPer tiers University program, would not be that desperate to send that love letter, to disturb the RESIDENT mindset, and guarantee they get him, it will creat confusion and unnecessary anxiety among those who didn't get it, but then later match because there spot was tentatively and got up on the list because the top applicants matched somewhere else.

imagine then ,the program leadership face will look dumb, in front of the new class members, who did not get the love letter...
Actually, no...those top programs probably do it more than the mid/lower tier programs... they are battling for the same highly competitive applicants...they send letters, make phone calls, etc to see if you have any questions, if there is anything they can do to help, etc...and the competitive specialties do it even more...I don’t really get calls from programs for IM , but did for fellowship...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask such a question... Please forgive me if this is not the appropriate thread...

I am thinking about applying for 2021-2022 match. However, as a non-US IMG requiring visa, I have some red-flags...
My scores are 243 for step1 and 225 for step 2ck. I haven't taken CS. I graduated in 2018 and now I am doing a phd in University of Oxford.
Do you guys think I still stand a chance for matching IM residency?
By the time of 2021 match I think I will have some publications, will that compensate for my low ck score and YOG?

Thanks a lot!
The WAMC IM thread would be better... this thread is more for those participating in this years match.
 
Actually, no...those top programs probably do it more than the mid/lower tier programs... they are battling for the same highly competitive applicants...they send letters, make phone calls, etc to see if you have any questions, if there is anything they can do to help, etc...and the competitive specialties do it even more...I don’t really get calls from programs for IM , but did for fellowship...
then I guess I have to agree with your opinion.

BTW can U or any other brother /sister help me with this existential crisis,

how to rank the following IM programs ((TOLEDO VS ALBANY VS Creighton))
for someone who wants to do Cards, and still yet to have decent research experiance , but, hard-working resident, willing to compensate my lack of med school research during residency, and I don`t care about the location going for J1 visa.

I've seen somewhere that toledo is behind in research and academic support,
but How about Albany NY Vs Creighton omaha.
help help help, it is giving me anxiety and nightmares..
 
thank you for explaining my misconception

i still think it is a desperate move from the program, MID and UPPer tiers University program, would not be that desperate to send that love letter, to disturb the RESIDENT mindset, and guarantee they get him, it will creat confusion and unnecessary anxiety among those who didn't get it, but then later match because there spot was tentatively and got up on the list because the top applicants matched somewhere else.

imagine then ,the program leadership face will look dumb, in front of the new class members, who did not get the love letter...

MGH and Mayo Clinic are sending "rank to match" e-mails ...
 
Hello everyone.
I'm a non-US IMG interested in cards. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with the rankings
Here's my ROL.


1. Cook County
2. Cleveland Clinic Foundation/Fairview Campus
3. Sinai Bronx
4. Sinai Balitmore
5. Montefiore Wakefield
6. Mercy Chicago
7. Lincoln Medical Center NY

Thank you!

Any other input guys?

Thanks!
 
Guys, should I send a Letter of interest to my #2 & #3 choices? or it will harm me more,
as they will know that they are not my #1 choice?
 
Guys, should I send a Letter of interest to my #2 & #3 choices? or it will harm me more,
as they will know that they are not my #1 choice?

Honestly I don't think it matters in the end. Send it if it'll make you feel better. Just don't tell more than one program they are your number one.

I sent LOIs to all of my programs, for #2 and below it was more of a general thank you letter and wishing them success in the upcoming match. I highly doubt anyone cares or even reads them, it's just a personal preference of etiquette.
 
Last edited:
Hi all. Hopefully this is the appropriate place to post this question. hoping to apply for 2021-2022 match. Here is some of my info:
Step 1- 213
Step 2- 244
Step 2 CS- passed first attempt
Year of graduation- 2013
Visa status- Permanent resident applying for citizenship
What I have done since- Completed a Masters of Public Health degree from George Washington University, worked in non-profit organization, radiology clinic(I have some experience with ultrasound imaging)
I currently live in NorCal area and am looking for shadowing opportunities.
In your honest opinion what are my chances? I don't have much hope but I feel I need to see it through(just for closure)
 
Hi all. Hopefully this is the appropriate place to post this question. hoping to apply for 2021-2022 match. Here is some of my info:
Step 1- 213
Step 2- 244
Step 2 CS- passed first attempt
Year of graduation- 2013
Visa status- Permanent resident applying for citizenship
What I have done since- Completed a Masters of Public Health degree from George Washington University, worked in non-profit organization, radiology clinic(I have some experience with ultrasound imaging)
I currently live in NorCal area and am looking for shadowing opportunities.
In your honest opinion what are my chances? I don't have much hope but I feel I need to see it through(just for closure)
Honestly, I think you will have a very small amount of invitation (0 or 1) because of old IMG and low step1 score unless you use as much connection as possible to get invitations. I hope you will have good externships and get good LORs by the time you apply to residency programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. Hopefully this is the appropriate place to post this question. hoping to apply for 2021-2022 match. Here is some of my info:
Step 1- 213
Step 2- 244
Step 2 CS- passed first attempt
Year of graduation- 2013
Visa status- Permanent resident applying for citizenship
What I have done since- Completed a Masters of Public Health degree from George Washington University, worked in non-profit organization, radiology clinic(I have some experience with ultrasound imaging)
I currently live in NorCal area and am looking for shadowing opportunities.
In your honest opinion what are my chances? I don't have much hope but I feel I need to see it through(just for closure)
Honestly , you will need to make good connections that can help you get interview because of your step 1 and YOG . My advice is to get hands on experience and also to get step 3 done . You may also should consider applying to less competitive specialties like pathology , psychiatry and possibly FM and pediatrics.
 
The reason I kept it at the top is that I liked Scranton much better than Pontiac. According to some people that I talked with, Primary care would not limit my chances as much. The residents there still got IV at good University hospitals like Baylor and no one knew that they were from primary track. Another benefit is that almost every weekend is free which gives a large amount of time to do research which paves the way to get into better fellowship places.
Not sure if I am thinking this correctly.

their in-house cards is indeed prematch (wright center), you will have the difficult decision of whether to take their cards pre-match or to roll the dice on the regular match
if you like the city and don't mind living there for 6 years then of course it's an easy decision to make
 
Honestly , you will need to make good connections that can help you get interview because of your step 1 and YOG . My advice is to get hands on experience and also to get step 3 done . You may also should consider applying to less competitive specialties like pathology , psychiatry and possibly FM and pediatrics.

This is true except psych has gotten competitive recently. I think It’s becoming a bit of a lifestyle career now.
 
thank you for explaining my misconception

i still think it is a desperate move from the program, MID and UPPer tiers University program, would not be that desperate to send that love letter, to disturb the RESIDENT mindset, and guarantee they get him, it will creat confusion and unnecessary anxiety among those who didn't get it, but then later match because there spot was tentatively and got up on the list because the top applicants matched somewhere else.

imagine then ,the program leadership face will look dumb, in front of the new class members, who did not get the love letter...
I agree with gutonc and Rokshana that rank-to-match letter happens a lot, especially on top tier IM programs and competitive fields like GI. Sometimes programs compete for the same group of candidates. Also, programs like to say they only have to go down to X spots in their list to fill.
 
Alright guys. My interview season is almost over and I need your help with the ranking.

1. Wright Medical Center for Graduate Medical Education
2. Montefiore Wakefield campus
3. St. Mary Langhorne (PA)
4. Lincoln Medical Center
5. Charleston Area Medical Center - West Virginia

Any input would be appreciated!
Hey how did you like St Mary Langhorne, I interviewed there but didnt like it that much, the residents didnt seem super enthusiastic either plus its a relatively new program, what were your insights?
Also with your rank order list, I would put it as,
Montefiore,
Charleston Area
Wright Medical Center
St Mary
Lincoln
 
hey everyone I hope you are all having an easy time ranking programs. when it comes to a non us IMG should we be ranking H1b > J1. I really want less hassle down the line when it comes to living in the US
 
hey everyone I hope you are all having an easy time ranking programs. when it comes to a non us IMG should we be ranking H1b > J1. I really want less hassle down the line when it comes to living in the US
less programs offer H1b, so you could b e limiting the4 number of programs on your RoL...if you have 10+ programs that are offering H1b, then sure rank them all ahead of the J1 places...
 
hey everyone I hope you are all having an easy time ranking programs. when it comes to a non us IMG should we be ranking H1b > J1. I really want less hassle down the line when it comes to living in the US

It depends on your future goals. In my case, I want a J1 visa because you can apply to more programs for your fellowship.
 
It depends on your future goals. In my case, I want a J1 visa because you can apply to more programs for your fellowship.
not sure I want to pursue a fellowship at the moment, just want to be settled in the US tbh. I do have a couple university programs but they sponsor J1 only. not sure if I should be ranking them above community programs that sponsor H1B
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Compared to Einstein Philly and DMC/WSU. They are bigger programs but Lahey has a much better location. I’m asking about it’s reputation, if anyone has any inside info.

It has a good reputation, one of my friends is a resident there and he is very happy.
 
I hear mixed reviews about the importance of step 3 on competitive fellowships. Is having good score on step 3 one of the requirements?
 
Hey Guys,
Help me rank these programs. I want to do a cardiology fellowship.
Cook County
Medstar Washington
The University of Arkansas (Little Rock)
Texas Tech Lubbock
Montefiore Wakefield
Bridgeport Hospital
Presence St Francis
 
Hey . Kindly help me rank these programs
I would want to do oncology fellowship
1) Howard University
2) Morehouse school of medicine
3) mercy saint Vincent (H1)
4)VA BRONX(Icahn school of medicine Bronx)
5)st Mary Waterbury CT
 
hello can anyone advise me with a simple visa question. I am a non US IMG from South America with a regular tourist visa (B1). Is it possible to travel to the US with a tourist visa while H1/J1 visa process has started. Have to travel for family reasons early April
 
How should i rank the following programs:

Post residency aim is hospitalist or may be fellowship. H1b preferred.

Upmc pinnacle
Marshall univ
Lincoln NY
Carle foundation
Presence St joseph
Canton ohio
 
Hey guys, unsure how to go about the list-making process, the whole gut vs reason thing. Most probably want to do hematology/oncology (but sometimes switch to GI 😀). Any input?

1. Mt Sinai St Lukes (NYC)
2. Pennsylvania Hospital
3. Rutgers University
4. Rush University
5. SUNY Downstate
6. St. Elizabeth (Boston)
7. MedStar Washington
8. Bridgeport/Yale
9. Mt. Auburn (Boston)
10. Salem Hospital (MA)
11. Stamford Hospital (CT)
12. NYP Queens

(would prefer the east coast, that's why rush is so low. and I just didn't get a good vibe from nyp queens)
 
Hi all, for those who may be interested. There is a new IM program that just got accreditation. Sponsors j1 and H1 visa, currently accepting applications via eras for 2020 IM residency. I saw the details on the usmleforum.com, I know this may help someone. Good luck everyone!

ACGME ID Accredidation: 1404100913 - Albert Einstein Healthcare Network/Einstein Medical Center Montgomery Program.

NRMP CODE:2206140C0
 
Hi all, for those who may be interested. There is a new IM program that just got accreditation. Sponsors j1 and H1 visa, currently accepting applications via eras for 2020 IM residency. I saw the details on the usmleforum.com, I know this may help someone. Good luck everyone!

ACGME ID Accredidation: 1404100913 - Albert Einstein Healthcare Network/Einstein Medical Center Montgomery Program.

NRMP CODE:2206140C0
Is it worth applying to it? And how is it to apply to a new program entirely?
 
@asa81mg, I guess you have to answer those questions yourself and decide if you want to apply. I am just a fellow applicant like you, simply disseminating info that may be very helpful to those with zero or few IVs. Hope I answered your question satisfactorily, lol
 
SUNY downstate vs Marshall university vs Rosalind Franklin north Chicago vs Southern Illinois University. Looking for fellowship opportunities and good life balance
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the new program, if they are starting interviews by Tuesday, do you think they are starting sending invitations today?
 
SUNY downstate vs Marshall university vs Rosalind Franklin north Chicago vs Southern Illinois University. Looking for fellowship opportunities and good life balance

Downstate is a tough program and you’ll be working a lot but they have really good fellowship matches > Marshall > SIU > Rosalind
 
Hey Guys,
Help me rank these programs. I want to do a cardiology fellowship.
Cook County
Medstar Washington
The University of Arkansas (Little Rock)
Texas Tech Lubbock
Montefiore Wakefield
Bridgeport Hospital
Presence St Francis

Medstar > Arkansas > Cook County > the rest. Can’t go wrong with any of these and they all have good cardiology matches. Cook County is a tough program and residents are over worked but great training and fellowship placements.