IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020

Started by Bobbbyyyy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Thank you so much. Any opinion on medstar Baltimore and Carle foundation really loved both programs

If you want to be a hospitalist or are trying to match into less competitive fellowships, then it doesn’t matter which program.

If you are trying to go into GI/Cards, etc then Medstar >>> Carle ( previously known as University of Illinois Urbana Champaign).
 
Guys how bad is SUNY downstate and how does it compare to other NY programs? Isn’t it the best out of other NY programs in case of scut work

Also what does it mean that you work a lot?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Medstar > Arkansas > Cook County > the rest. Can’t go wrong with any of these and they all have good cardiology matches. Cook County is a tough program and residents are over worked but great training and fellowship placements.
Thank you very much for the input
 
I can't decide between medstar baltimore and MSU East Lansing
Any advice?
Want to do cardiology fellowship
Thanks in advance
 
Hello everyone.
Visa requiring IMG here. Want to pursue either cards or rheum fellowship. following is my ROL so far.
let me know about your suggestions:

1. Case Western Metrohealth
2. Oklahoma University
3. Albany Medical College
4. St Elizabeths Tufts
5. Creighton University
6. Western Michigan Uni
7. Presence St Joseph Chicago
8. Zucker Staten Island Uni
9. Presence St Francis Chi
10. Mt Auburn Boston
11. Good Sam Hosp Cincinnati
12. Griffin Hospital
13. UPMC Pinnacle
14. Lincoln Bronx
 
Hello everyone.
Visa requiring IMG here. Want to pursue either cards or rheum fellowship. following is my ROL so far.
let me know about your suggestions:

1. Case Western Metrohealth
2. Oklahoma University
3. Albany Medical College
4. St Elizabeths Tufts
5. Creighton University
6. Western Michigan Uni
7. Presence St Joseph Chicago
8. Zucker Staten Island Uni
9. Presence St Francis Chi
10. Mt Auburn Boston
11. Good Sam Hosp Cincinnati
12. Griffin Hospital
13. UPMC Pinnacle
14. Lincoln Bronx
why mount auburn so low?
 
Hey ya'll

Curious to know what everyone is doing in the time between interviews and match day? Should we be doing something productive in case we don't end up matching?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone.
Visa requiring IMG here. Want to pursue either cards or rheum fellowship. following is my ROL so far.
let me know about your suggestions:

1. Case Western Metrohealth
2. Oklahoma University
3. Albany Medical College
4. St Elizabeths Tufts
5. Creighton University
6. Western Michigan Uni
7. Presence St Joseph Chicago
8. Zucker Staten Island Uni
9. Presence St Francis Chi
10. Mt Auburn Boston
11. Good Sam Hosp Cincinnati
12. Griffin Hospital
13. UPMC Pinnacle
14. Lincoln Bronx

If you don't mind me asking, why are Presence St. Francis and St. Joseph so high on your list, above for example Mt Auburn or UPMC Pinnacle
 
Hi all!
This is my ROL so far. Need visa and looking to pursue a fellowship (leaning towards Hem/Onc but subject to change). Would you recommend any changes?

1. University of Oklahoma
2. Albany Medical Center
3. Westchester Medical Center
4. Zucker Staten Island
5. Rochester Unity Hospital
6. Carle Foundation
7. St. Mary's Waterbury, CT
8. Charleston Area Medical Center
9. Canton Medical Education Foundation
 
Hey ya'll

Curious to know what everyone is doing in the time between interviews and match day? Should we be doing something productive in case we don't end up matching?

depends how confident you are about your chances
I’m currently working as a clinical assistant at an osteoporosis clinic to show that I’ve been clinically active Incase I don’t match and to make some money
I think there’s no harm in chilling till end of March, you’ll still have five months until September Incase you don’t end up matching but have some plan on what you will be doing In the event that you don’t match, like potential observerships. You can also take the step 3 if you haven’t already and get it out of the way.
 
How works u rank these programs. Need visa. Competitive fellowship like cards, gi.
U of Florida Gainesville
U at buffalo
U Nebraska Omaha
U Missouri Kansas City
U toledo
Dmc Wayne state
Cook county
St Elizabeth Boston
Sisters of charity buffalo
Upmc pinnacle
St Francis Evanston
Monmouth
Central Michigan univ Saginaw
Mercy darby
Lincoln bronx
Kindly provide the rationale as well. Thanks
 
Does anyone know if Montefiore Wakefield allows electives outside the Montefiore system? Would appreciate the help. Thanks
 
Non-US IMG, Interested in GI fellowship, cannot decide between UConn Categorical and Medstar Washington for ROL purposes . Confused on whether I should rank an affiliated program over a university program even though I slightly liked Medstar better . It also has better GI fellowship matches than UConn categorical but people keep telling me that a university program holds more standing later on for fellowships / jobs later on . Any thoughts on the two ?
 
depends how confident you are about your chances
I’m currently working as a clinical assistant at an osteoporosis clinic to show that I’ve been clinically active Incase I don’t match and to make some money
I think there’s no harm in chilling till end of March, you’ll still have five months until September Incase you don’t end up matching but have some plan on what you will be doing In the event that you don’t match, like potential observerships. You can also take the step 3 if you haven’t already and get it out of the way.

can you do that on a tourist visa or do you need a work visa for that?
 
If you don't mind me asking, why are Presence St. Francis and St. Joseph so high on your list, above for example Mt Auburn or UPMC Pinnacle

hey
so i have a couple of seniors in both presence and they really like it there the faculty and the opportunities
plus I got the idea that mt Auburn doesn't have a good fellowship match rate and Pinnacle has tedious working hours by talking to the residents.
please give in your suggestions too if you know anything about these programs .thankyou
 
hey guys i just realized, a program i iv'd at has 20 spots but around 4-5 in that are primary care to which i haven't applied? should i apply now to that too just to increase my chances of matching into this program? they obviously have more ambulatory blocks than categorical residents ..can primary care residents get subspecialty fellowships later?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
This is my ROL so far. Need visa and looking to pursue a fellowship (leaning towards Hem/Onc but subject to change). Would you recommend any changes?

1. University of Oklahoma
2. Albany Medical Center
3. Westchester Medical Center
4. Zucker Staten Island
5. Rochester Unity Hospital
6. Carle Foundation
7. St. Mary's Waterbury, CT
8. Charleston Area Medical Center
9. Canton Medical Education Foundation
I would recommend picking a thread and sticking with it. You don't need to spam your list all over the forum.
 
Hey guys! Any input about my ROL? My goal is fellowship after residency, probably nephrology or Endo. No location issues. Need visa.

1​
Florida Atlantic University - Boca Raton, FL
2​
Cook County Health - Chicago, IL
3​
U Arkansas - Little Rock, AR
4​
Texas Tech U Affil - Lubbock, TX
5​
MetroWest Med Ctr- Framingham, MA
6​
Lincoln Med Ctr - NY
7​
Woodhull Med Ctr - NY
8​
Charleston Area Med Ctr - Charleston, WV
9​
Wright Center - Scranton, PA

Thank you for your thoughts!
Why did you put Cook over Arkansas?
 
Good luck everyone with the rank order list and upcoming match results.
Can someone please guide me about Woodhull medical center Internal Medicine interview. It is my main interview and I really want to do well. Thank you in advance for the input.
 
hey anyone did or want to do second look at a program? I'm asking about a program that offered second look during the presentation, yet no answer to the email? should I email again, or take it as a sign of dis-interest/won't rank me?
 
I interviewed at Nassau University medical Center, although it has a rep of being malignant, it didnt seem that way to me on the interview day (gut feeling) and I had decided to rank them quite high but I have just heard some news that the actual public hospital is in a lot of financial distress, what does this mean for me?
Is this going to be Hahnemann 2.0?
Is the program going to shut down, do public hospitals shut down?
 
I interviewed at Nassau University medical Center, although it has a rep of being malignant, it didnt seem that way to me on the interview day (gut feeling) and I had decided to rank them quite high but I have just heard some news that the actual public hospital is in a lot of financial distress, what does this mean for me?
Is this going to be Hahnemann 2.0?
Is the program going to shut down, do public hospitals shut down?
That PD was the most arrogant person I have met. What did you like about the program?
 
Hey guys, any opinion on whether it's too late now to send an "I'm ranking you #1"-email? I've been putting off the decision and now kinda forgot 😆
 
Good luck everyone with the rank order list and upcoming match results.
Can someone please guide me about Woodhull medical center Internal Medicine interview. It is my main interview and I really want to do well. Thank you in advance for the input.

WOodhull is still interviewing? It is a primary care program, so if you are interested in fellowships, seems like it might be more difficult. Otherwise pretty chill interview. One interview with faculty and one with PD. The faculty will likely ask you a couple behavioral/medical questions. PD read though my app in front of me and talked about my red flags.
 
Would really appreciate your help on this guys, some thoughts on wright center

1. Being primary care, does it limit chances to cards fellowship to its own program only,
2. it's a large program, hence so many would compete for just 3 spots for cards in house
3. how competent would someone feel at the end of 3 years in categorical IM with so much clinic schedule


should this be ranked above a community program with no inhouse cards fellowship but good training
 
hey anyone did or want to do second look at a program? I'm asking about a program that offered second look during the presentation, yet no answer to the email? should I email again, or take it as a sign of dis-interest/won't rank me?

Try calling them if they haven’t responded to you and you really want to do a second look. There’s a ton of reasons why the coordinator might not have responded to you (most likely because they get a bunch of emails) and I’d bet my right kidney it isn’t a sign of disinterest haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol yes it was a great experience! What do you think about that program in comparison to the other two?

My review is going to be skewed at best as I didn't IV at Einstein Philly nor Wayne State. Liked UT Memphis, the residents were chill, the facility and faculty impressive. The biggest minus for me is the city, Memphis. And this is my perspective after rounding up with interviews and seeing other programs. Can't speak to the other two.
 
My review is going to be skewed at best as I didn't IV at Einstein Philly nor Wayne State. Liked UT Memphis, the residents were chill, the facility and faculty impressive. The biggest minus for me is the city, Memphis. And this is my perspective after rounding up with interviews and seeing other programs. Can't speak to the other two.
Thank you for the input! I really appreciate it🙂
Best of luck!
 
That PD was the most arrogant person I have met. What did you like about the program?
I didnt meet with the PD in person, felt that the residents got along pretty well with each other, lot of in house fellowships, the residents did say that it is a busy program, PD in her presentations seemed a little frivolous but long island is a great place to be, the airports are quite close