You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMG Internal Medicine Applicants - Match 2020
Started by Bobbbyyyy
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Home | United States Medical Licensing Examination
USMLE is changing Step 1 to pass/fail
What does this mean for imgs? I think the thing that distinguishes us is usually way higher scores and research. Is this bad ???Home | United States Medical Licensing Examination
www.usmle.org
USMLE is changing Step 1 to pass/fail
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also hear that they are looking more at schools applicants are from. Which is unfortunate because I come from a medical school that is relatively unknown as persons rarely apply for the match
Home | United States Medical Licensing Examination
www.usmle.org
USMLE is changing Step 1 to pass/fail
Does this mean that if we apply to fellowships during 2022 they won't be able to see our score even though we had those?
Anyone have any info on this?
The applicant
Full Member
Has anyone received "register with NRMP" email from Montefiore Wakefield campus? I have already registered with NRMP since September and updated my ERAS in September as well and still, I received that email or is it a mass email to every applicant who interviewed there?
It is mass email.. all the ppl I know got it.Has anyone received "register with NRMP" email from Montefiore Wakefield campus? I have already registered with NRMP since September and updated my ERAS in September as well and still, I received that email or is it a mass email to every applicant who interviewed there?
What does this mean for imgs? I think the thing that distinguishes us is usually way higher scores and research. Is this bad ???
Objective measures 100% help imgs. We usually don’t have connections and name brand schools or rotations. I think also ck averages are going to skyrocket. People will be studying for ck from day 1 imo.
They shouldn’t because it’s all relative grading, based upon other test takers, so the scores should still be similar. If anything, US Grads will study harder for CK, making it harder for everyone to score high.Objective measures 100% help imgs. We usually don’t have connections and name brand schools or rotations. I think also ck averages are going to skyrocket. People will be studying for ck from day 1 imo.
They shouldn’t because it’s all relative grading, based upon other test takers, so the scores should still be similar. If anything, US Grads will study harder for CK, making it harder for everyone to score high.
step 1 and ck averages have been going up over the years so now I think CK will jump up at a faster pace. The step one average was low 220s not that long ago.
For I/fmgs, yes, p/f is not going to be helpful.What does this mean for imgs? I think the thing that distinguishes us is usually way higher scores and research. Is this bad ???
Mercy Hospital in West Philadelphia faces closure as an inpatient facility
The decision, forced by financial pressures, comes eight months after Hahnemann University Hospital's owners announced the closure of that Center City institution.
Mercy Health in West Philly is closing. Just sharing the information
Is it the upper darby one ?![]()
Mercy Hospital in West Philadelphia faces closure as an inpatient facility
The decision, forced by financial pressures, comes eight months after Hahnemann University Hospital's owners announced the closure of that Center City institution.www.inquirer.com
Mercy Health in West Philly is closing. Just sharing the information
![]()
Mercy Hospital in West Philadelphia faces closure as an inpatient facility
The decision, forced by financial pressures, comes eight months after Hahnemann University Hospital's owners announced the closure of that Center City institution.www.inquirer.com
Mercy Health in West Philly is closing. Just sharing the information
Mercy Hospital in Chicago is merging with three other hospitals on the south side of Chicago.
Sparrow Hospital/Michigan State University Program Internal Medicine - Season closed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
did all interviewies get an email from Kent??
I got one
thank you. i think they sent it to all. still felt good.I got one
Anyone received invitation from new - New Hampshire - program (Portsmouth)?
When is the last day for interviews?? It’s the middle of February...aren’t ROLs due soon?
It’s a new program, became available on eras the day before yesterday.
Hey everyone
Any thoughts about advocate christ medical center in chicago? Anyone ranking it? What were your impressions?
Any thoughts about advocate christ medical center in chicago? Anyone ranking it? What were your impressions?
Anyone received invitation from new - New Hampshire - program (Portsmouth)?
Are they participating in the Match? and any idea about their visa sponsorship?
when did you apply?It’s a new program, became available on eras the day before yesterday.
They have NRMP code on ERAS, so I assume they are participating in the Match. With regards to visa sponsorship, they accept only J1 and do not sponsor H1B.
I hope that helps.
It does! Thank you
patchfixuis
New Member
Does anyone know if Weiss Memorial already sent out all the prematch offers?
Also, Does anyone know if Interfaith NY already sent out all the prematch offers?
Quick question: When can internal Medicine Residents moonlight?
Program dependent but at bare minimum you need to have passed Step/Level 3 and finished intern year to get a license, so PGY2 at the earliest. IMGs may have different rules for independent practice depending on what state you're in (since you normally need more than one year to get your license as a non-AMG). If you're J1/H1B you'll have significant restrictions as well.
Program dependent but at bare minimum you need to have passed Step/Level 3 and finished intern year to get a license, so PGY2 at the earliest. IMGs may have different rules for independent practice depending on what state you're in (since you normally need more than one year to get your license as a non-AMG). If you're J1/H1B you'll have significant restrictions as well.
Thank you, appreciate the info
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This feels sort of dumb to ask. But should I rank a community/university affiliated program with in house fellowships over another comm/univ affiliates with no fellowships. Even if the hospital with in house fellowships is extremely busy? End goal is to obtain a fellowship, but I’m worried that long working hours could interfere with doing research towards fellowships.
I would love to hear some opinions cause I can’t make a decision about this.
I would love to hear some opinions cause I can’t make a decision about this.
UTSAWhich one should be ranked higher? My goal is Hem Onc fellowship.
Einstein Philly
UT San Antonio
Thanks!
Are there still available slots? I just saw this and don't know whether it's too late to apply now.I assumed Yes but now that you ask... it's not written on the invitation. I presume that it would be if it was pre-match.
AM and PM sessions almost every day until the ranking deadline
If there are no fellowships, I doubt there is much in the way of research going on.This feels sort of dumb to ask. But should I rank a community/university affiliated program with in house fellowships over another comm/univ affiliates with no fellowships. Even if the hospital with in house fellowships is extremely busy? End goal is to obtain a fellowship, but I’m worried that long working hours could interfere with doing research towards fellowships.
I would love to hear some opinions cause I can’t make a decision about this.
If research is what you are looking for, then pick the place that has it...though the typical community program ( not ccf or Mayo) generally doesn’t have that much available.
1st JulyWhat date do residency programs usually start?
Although many actually start 1-4 weeks before that. So plan accordingly.1st July
Yes you have orientation, health checks, paperwork etc before the actual start dateAlthough many actually start 1-4 weeks before that. So plan accordingly.
Hey guys, this is my tentative ROL. any input is welcomed. I'm not super sure yet but I'm leaning towards a heme/onc fellowship. The only reason the NY program is that low is because I don't think I will like living in NY
1. Case western Metrohealth
2. Uconn
3. Allegheny General
4. Medstar Washington
5. UPMC Mercy
6.Overlook Hospital
7.U of New Mexico
8. Icahn SOM St. Luke's
9. Rutgers/Trinitas
10. NYMC ST Micheals in NJ
11. Creighton's Univ St. Joseph's
12. Anne Arundel
1. Case western Metrohealth
2. Uconn
3. Allegheny General
4. Medstar Washington
5. UPMC Mercy
6.Overlook Hospital
7.U of New Mexico
8. Icahn SOM St. Luke's
9. Rutgers/Trinitas
10. NYMC ST Micheals in NJ
11. Creighton's Univ St. Joseph's
12. Anne Arundel
Last edited:
If there are no fellowships, I doubt there is much in the way of research going on.
If research is what you are looking for, then pick the place that has it...though the typical community program ( not ccf or Mayo) generally doesn’t have that much available.
that’s a good point. Do you think it’s difficult to work with an attending at community program ( with no fellowships) and come up with topics, case reports, or review articles?
I know people who have matched into cardio from community programs. That’s why I’m just looking at it from a time management point of view.
And thanks for the response, I really appreciate it
Rank the programs by your own personal preference, not by the perceived difficulty of a match.Can anyone please tell me if H1b is difficult to get and can take a lot of time. I am confused in ranking. I just think J1 is safer.
This looks good, I also liked case a lot as well and they sponsor H1BHey guys, this is my tentative ROL. any input is welcomed. I'm not super sure yet but I'm leaning towards a heme/onc fellowship. The only reason the NY program is that low is because I don't think I will like living in NY
1. Case western Metrohealth
2. Uconn
3. Allegheny General
4. Medstar Washington
5. UPMC Mercy
6.Overlook Hospital
7.U of New Mexico
8. Icahn SOM St. Luke's
9. Rutgers/Trinitas
10. NYMC ST Micheals in NJ
11. Creighton's Univ St. Joseph's
12. Anne Arundel
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Positive vibes1
Full Member
Hi guys. Please PLEASE help me!
I'm confused between Montefiore Wakefield Campus (offers H1b visa) and Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education (offers J1 visa). I'm inclined towards a cardiology fellowship but I'm not too strict about that. I don't know if I should go for H1b visa or J1 visa. In other words, I don't really know if I'd really want to go for a J1 visa for a competitive fellowship or just go for H1b visa to decrease the chances of denial of J1 visa and renewing the J1 visa every year if I visit my home country.
I know two people who's J1 got denied last year and another guy who's J1 got denied one year into his residency. Basically he came back to his home country and applied for his J1 renewal and his J1 got denied. He had to leave residency training because of that. This problem doesn't occur when you're on a H1b visa.
Both the visas have their pros and cons but please if someone was in a similar situation last year, please respond and state the visa that you ultimately chose! Thanks a lot for your replies!
I'm confused between Montefiore Wakefield Campus (offers H1b visa) and Wright Center for Graduate Medical Education (offers J1 visa). I'm inclined towards a cardiology fellowship but I'm not too strict about that. I don't know if I should go for H1b visa or J1 visa. In other words, I don't really know if I'd really want to go for a J1 visa for a competitive fellowship or just go for H1b visa to decrease the chances of denial of J1 visa and renewing the J1 visa every year if I visit my home country.
I know two people who's J1 got denied last year and another guy who's J1 got denied one year into his residency. Basically he came back to his home country and applied for his J1 renewal and his J1 got denied. He had to leave residency training because of that. This problem doesn't occur when you're on a H1b visa.
Both the visas have their pros and cons but please if someone was in a similar situation last year, please respond and state the visa that you ultimately chose! Thanks a lot for your replies!
Good list. I would rank the same.Help me rank. Interested in Hem/Onc fellowship and program reputation to give me the best chances of getting a good one. @gutonc
UTSA
Einstein Philly
Oklahoma University
Jacobi
Thanks!
Hey guys any suggestions for Medstar Baltimore vs Abington memorial?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K